Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
Man, you couldn't have paid me to live in 400 E Randolph in this photo. It looks so depressing, and yet today, it's in one of the most luxe neighborhoods in the city.

I applaud anyone who bought back in the 70s hoping it would be a worthwhile investment someday. Getting back on topic, I wonder if Vista condos will appreciate as much in 40 years.
We'll want to see how much the view changes by 2055 too lol

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 12:38 AM

I was walking back to my place from the lake yesterday, and saw this random segment from Vista just sitting in the open lot over there. Anyone know what this is? Looks like it could be a Jeanette Gang designed bus shelter.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 12:43 AM

^^ Old test for the windows

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 2:05 AM

^That is more likely just a visual mock-up. Testing of systems like this take place at specialized facilities.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post
Was formatting a couple emory cards and found a couple shots of Vista I forgot I took. It's really interesting how it's not the frustum tilt that seems to effect the reflection, but the shade of glass. Before looking closely, I assumed the facets leaning back "lookin-up" at the sky were reflecting the pink hues, while the facets "looking-down" towards the ground were still blue/green.

this is it

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 12:39 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Was formatting a couple emory cards
"emory cards", like you do manicures with? What sort of format do they take?
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 12:41 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyChicago View Post
The user "BIueHorseshoe" posted this on reddit. Thought it was a really cool view!

Not many cities in the world you can take a shot of four nicely-staged supertalls all lined up, from a fifth supertall. What a shot! What a city!
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Not many cities in the world you can take a shot of four nicely-staged supertalls all lined up, from a fifth supertall. What a shot! What a city!
There are two additional supertalls in this photo, though they don't look particularly tall in the company of Sears, Trump, Vista and Aon: Two Prudential Plaza to the right of Aon, and Franklin Center in front of Sears. 311 South Wacker is almost a supertall.

Quote:
Was formatting a couple emory cards and found a couple shots of Vista I forgot I took.

Wow, this is postcard material!

Last edited by pianowizard; Mar 19, 2019 at 3:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Yeah, Nick will have to come back at the same light, once the glass is done. It will *really* stand out in this picture

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
There are two additional supertalls in this photo, though they don't look particularly tall in the company of Sears, Trump, Vista and Aon: Two Prudential Plaza to the right of Aon, and Franklin Center in front of Sears. 311 South Wacker is almost a supertall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktko View Post
Yeah, Nick will have to come back at the same light, once the glass is done. It will *really* stand out in this picture
Thanks all! Definitely glad I gave these a second look. I originally took them after parking, but before going to an IMAX showing. Happened to be at the Pier with my camera, so I snapped off a couple quick handheld shots to get a sense of massing/building orientation.

The one thing that bugs me about this spot is how Aon interacts with Vista. Because Vista's last setback aligns so closely with Aon, to makes Vista look thicker than it actually is at first glance. Wish there was some breathing room between the two...

In case you're curious. Here's a before&after of the edit:

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 10:04 PM

^ great edit Nick. Her lines are looking particularly sexy as the glass fills in. I see your point about ol' miss Aon but the glass will definitely define Vista when completed.

Last edited by bhawk66; Mar 19, 2019 at 10:08 PM. Reason: addition

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 11:33 PM

Looking forward to having a fair amount of time with good weather to take some better snaps at lunch

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Looking forward to having a fair amount of time with good weather to take some better snaps at lunch
Thanks for those pics, Bonobo. I love that we can see the roof of the shortest portion!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 4:04 AM

I know the tower crane is resting on the middle portion and attached to the eastern portion on Vista, but I've often wondered this on other projects..If the crane was in the center of the eastern portion, how do they remove the tower crane (boom, cab, etc) when the tower is complete?

I figured Vista would be the easiest example for me to ask this question

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
I know the tower crane is resting on the middle portion and attached to the eastern portion on Vista, but I've often wondered this on other projects..If the crane was in the center of the eastern portion, how do they remove the tower crane (boom, cab, etc) when the tower is complete?

I figured Vista would be the easiest example for me to ask this question
If the tower is in the building floorplate (like 145 S Wabash) the procedure is to take the top boom cab and stuff off either with a big mobile crane from the ground, or with a fair sized crane hoisted up by the old tower crane. After the tower crane is beheaded a smaller crane that will fit in a skip (the exterior elevators) is brought up, this will lower the mid sized rig (if it was used) and then pull up, and lower, the tower sections one at a time.

Here they are beheading the crane at 360 W Erie - for less than 13 floors or so this seems the prefered method, even when the base is not within a floorplate.
360 W Erie by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Here is one of the "smaller" cranes removing the last few sections on 465 N Park (the tower was on the outside of the building, but went through the podium).
465 N Park by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 7:29 PM

03/12/19

03/14/19

03/15/19

03/17/19

03/18/19

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 11:14 PM

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
If the tower is in the building floorplate (like 145 S Wabash) the procedure is to take the top boom cab and stuff off either with a big mobile crane from the ground, or with a fair sized crane hoisted up by the old tower crane. After the tower crane is beheaded a smaller crane that will fit in a skip (the exterior elevators) is brought up, this will lower the mid sized rig (if it was used) and then pull up, and lower, the tower sections one at a time.
Thanks Harry, I'd imagine that's what I'll see when they take Gr333n's crane down any day now.

Great updates today everybody!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 1:22 AM

Quote:

BCBS is easy to forget since it's surrounded by taller and/or flashier buildings, but it's absolutely awesome, particularly the atriums. That's not to mention how cool it is that it was built in two phases. Chicago architecture is unparalleled.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 2:55 AM
Cleared for takeoff

Quote:

Looks like those were taken from Baker & Mckenzie in Blue Cross Blue Shield.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture