HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 3:24 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawaresident View Post
Sorry, I meant 35/12. My mistake.
35 and 12 are parallel.

You should have explored the area around G.T.A. more when you worked there.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 6:56 PM
BANNED

Maybe that's too far ...

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 1:31 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Old Highway 2 between Highway 401 Exit 687 and slightly west of L&G Road 46 has divided 4 lanes. Did MTO envision 401 to use that alignment back in the days, just to realize that the property owners weren’t fun to mess with?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 12:26 PM

Hwy 2 west of Brockville was widened to four lanes back in the 1930s, at a time when a a cross-provincial freeway was nothing more than a gleam in some designers eye. Before about 1937 or so, the province didn't have the legal authority to restrict access from abutting property owners from building driveways to a neighbouring highway, so access control wasn't even an option when Highway 2 was widened west of Brockville. Highway 2 was never envisioned as part of the routing of Highway 401.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 2:08 PM
BANNED

Wasn't Kingston Road expanded for that purpose/? Or was it the City of Toronto for the Scarborough Expwy?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 12:14 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawaresident View Post
Wasn't Kingston Road expanded for that purpose/? Or was it the City of Toronto for the Scarborough Expwy?
I didn’t quite get your question... :|

On another note, https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2019/...s-ontario.html.

$1.3 B for highway rehabilitation. No twinning.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 1:08 PM
BANNED

In the 50s and 60s all those road were built.Ihope they think of the 2020s and 2030s as expansion time in the future. Kingston Road I believe was built by the province inthe 40s and 50s and was intended for the 401. In the great downloads of the Mike Harris the road was downloaded.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 9:43 PM

From today's budget announcement:

Quote:
Investing in Highways
The provincial highway network is essential for creating jobs, improving quality of life for workers, families and small businesses across Ontario, and supporting a globally competitive economy. This is particularly true in rural and small-town Ontario, where highways are often the only transportation option available. Road construction and maintenance encourages job creation and trade, plays a significant role in the social and economic well-being of residents and contributes to a higher quality of life. The government takes the responsibility seriously to ensure Ontario’s highways are safe and reliable for the hundreds of thousands of people who drive on them every single day.

The Province is making smart investments in highways, roads and bridges, and is strengthening and expanding its highway network. Examples of projects that are in the planning and design stages, or already underway, include:

Highways 11/17 and 69:
Four-laning sections of Highway 69 and Highway 11/17 in the North, including stretches between Kenora and the Manitoba border.
Highway 401:
Widening and improving safety on 128 kilometres from four to six lanes from Tilbury to London;
Increasing the number of lanes from the Credit River Bridge in Mississauga to Regional Road 25 in Milton; and
Rehabilitating westbound core-collector lanes between Neilson Road and Wilson Avenue in Toronto, and eastbound core-collector lanes between Neilson Road in Toronto and Whites Road in Pickering.
Highway 7/115:
Several bridge rehabilitation projects in Peterborough.
http://budget.ontario.ca/2019/chapter-1b.html#s-4

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 10:20 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

11 and Kenora don’t mix.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 12:19 PM
User Registered

A lot of sections of the 401 between Tilbury and London have recently been reconstructed. The drainage seems to be properly designed for a 4-lane grass median highway.

Filling in the median on these rebuilt stretches may cause a lot of headaches when it comes to the slope of the highway. That inner lane might be on quite an angle or else the entire roadway would need to be rebuilt.

Bad planning here. The rebuild projects should have just made it 6 lanes and we would not have these headaches.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 1:23 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Does that mean people looking to use that inner lane to pass need to be careful not to hit the concrete median (if they stick to the keep-right-except-to-pass rule)?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 2:50 PM

The recently reconstructed sections of the 401 were designed to be able to be fairly easily widened to six lanes in the future.

But yeah, it's pretty wasteful that changed their mind seeing as so much of the highway has already been reconstructed. The cable median barriers that they had installed were apparently pretty effective too at mitigating cross-over collisions. Not 100% effective, but pretty effective never the less. The collision that occurred really early this winter was apparently the only incident where the barrier wasn't strong enough. There were over 25 additional collisions this winter where the barrier was effective at preventing a cross-over crash.

It's still amazing to me that Tilbury to London is such a priority over other highway corridors. There are so many other roads in Ontario that I dislike driving so much more than the 401 through southwestern Ontario. But oh well, life goes on.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 3:01 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I just realized something’s missing: GTA West Corridor. ._.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 3:04 PM

It’s the extremely high amount of trucks on that stretch of the 401, and the very high deadly crash rates that warrant expansion to 6 lanes and concrete barriers.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 3:11 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
It’s the extremely high amount of trucks on that stretch of the 401, and the very high deadly crash rates that warrant expansion to 6 lanes and concrete barriers.
I was gonna mention that too.

Speaking of truck traffic, should Sarnia OPP amp up their presence on 402W to male sure people pay attention to stopped traffic? There have been quite a few bad instances where trucks slammed into stopped vehicles and shut down the border crossing.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Yeah, except none of what you just wrote is actually true. People believe it to be true, but the facts don't back it up.

The collision rate on the 401 in southwestern Ontario is in line with the provincial average, and while the volume of commercial traffic is indeed high (as it is on other sections of the 401), the traffic range is well within the capacity of four lane highway.

The 401 between Kitchener and Toronto wasn't widened from four to six lanes until it had almost double the volume of traffic on it. Double. Do you think goods were transported by pack-mule back in the 1980s when that highway was widened?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 4:10 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I don’t know if this is north_42 was thinking, but getting stuck behind a truck doing 105 km/h (65 mph) in the passing lane because of the speed limiter law proves to be frustrating experience for many drivers.

But the experts say the capacity isn’t reached yet.

I think we need to reconcile user experience with expert opinion here. Instead of just adding more lanes, is it better if we as road users learn to have some patience, keep right except to pass, etc.? When collisions happen, instead of blaming it on the road, should we be examining individual driving style first (which I think we do)?

My point: It’s time we stop improving our highways just to hide the problem that people don’t know how to drive.

Ps: sonysnob has called me and swimmer_spe out for whining about highways before too.
Ps: If I’m not at all understandable, I apologize in advance. I need my coffee.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 4:42 PM

Dengler, relax, I'm not calling anybody out, I don't really care, I just have fun debating with people on the internet.

If I were in charge, the 401 between Tilbury and London would not be a top priority to me, but I'm not in charge, so whatever.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 2:32 PM
User Registered

I get that based on capacity, widening the 401 between Tilbury and London is not a priority.

However...
-People simply do not 'feel' safe driving this stretch. The main reasoning is the high truck volumes.
-Anyone driving the 401 from Toronto or even further beyond has had a concrete median the whole way. Losing the median and a truck passing lane is annoying.
-With all the infrastructure investments in the Greater Golden Horseshoe, something needs to be done elsewhere to appease voters who think all their money is just going to Toronto and not their own backyard.
-It makes 0 sense to have 6 lanes from Windsor to Tilbury anyway. Either the whole stretch from Windsor to London should be 4 or 6 lanes. Seems like it just ends at Tilbury for no reason? Yes we know that the old median was narrower between Windsor and Tilbury before the widening but most people do not know that.
-6 continuous lanes from the new Gordie Howe Bridge to Toronto. This is the last piece that needs to be done.

I could go on and on but I am happy to see this in the works officially. I drive from London to Windsor only around 5-10 times a year but I always hate it. The capacity and design improvements is something I am looking forward to... Even if we have to deal with years of construction.

-----

More details from the London Free Press:
PCs keeping promise with $1B highway expansion
https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...0-d5ef5fa4f0ee

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 2:53 PM

repeatedly being stuck behind a convey of trucks trying to pass other trucks between London and Chatham - enough to make you go crazy - 6 lanes will be a welcome addition!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario