HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 9:43 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
I loved Yokohama, but I never got around to posting my pics from there. I hung out in the Foreigner's Cemetery and the area right around there with the Victorian houses, downtown, and went shopping in that mall located in the old brick warehouses.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 12:56 AM

Nightsky, thanks a ton for these - you really got around down there! Did you like Chinatown? It has a reputation for being wholly commercialized and overpriced, especially the restaurants. Real Chinatown is Ikebukuro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
I loved Yokohama, but I never got around to posting my pics from there. I hung out in the Foreigner's Cemetery and the area right around there with the Victorian houses, downtown, and went shopping in that mall located in the old brick warehouses.
I absolutely love Yokohama too. There’s a laid back, cosmopolitan flair to the city which stands in stark contrast to Tokyo.

That warehouse dock area is called Aka Renga (Red Brick) and is one of the only remaining blocks of Western trading treaty buildings left - these ones were German. That they’ve survived countless earthquakes is incredible.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 8:22 PM
Illustrator, editor

I liked Chinatown, really vibrant and the most interesting area in the downtown part, and the harbour area. While it was sunny in Tokyo the whole week it was grey the whole day so it affected the imprssions a bit but it was interesting to see another Japanese big city, with colonial architecture and smaller streets.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos