HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 3:16 PM
DRINK

To bad other neighborhoods cant fund their amenities via a local CRL. That 640acres full section that goes from agriculture to residential would provide all sorts of funds for local amenities.

I support the concept of a large downtown park, but it's bullshit that it isn't developer funded to ensure the costs are passed on directly to those benefitting from it.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 3:23 PM
Community Guy

Downtown's tend to work slightly differently than other parts of the City for a variety of reasons including a great reach, impact, and benefit to more of its citizens, along with the importance of a Provincial Capital looking, feeling and acting like one.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 4:02 PM
DRINK

But the way taxes work is that it is implied that commercial and industrial subsidize residential.

The same crowd that supports the Downtown CRL is, for the most part, the same crowd that supports annexation to gobble up industrial tax base. Certainly, the intent is to use this industrial tax base across the city, not reinvest into those industrial areas. Pretty hypocritical.

I can see the merit of a CRL for Residential development Downtown, but including commercial in it is very misguided. Tax's generated from office buildings should not be used within a few block radius, they should be used across the city....because that's where those people live.

Growth should pay for growth and should be consistently applied across the city. It's one thing for mature neighborhoods to get the benefit of the doubt and get all sort of freebies that new neighborhoods must now pay for, but not collecting funds for amenities like parks with existing levies for downtown development while having that cost passed on directly to other homeowners in the city to pay for their parks...no idea how that is justified.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 5:22 PM
Community Guy

Part of the rational for the public investment in Rogers Place was to create a CRL to specific and directly accelerate projects for Downtown through uplift in a specific area, for a specific area.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 10:24 PM
Community Guy

Central Park set to be new downtown landmark
May 31, 2019

The City is preparing an international design competition to collect the best and brightest design ideas for a major centrepiece downtown: the Warehouse Campus Neighborhood Central Park.

The project vision, goals and design parameters to inform the international design competition will be shared at two upcoming drop-in information sessions.

Date: Tuesday, June 4
Time: 11 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. and 4 - 7 p.m.

Several years in the works, the project marked a major milestone earlier this year when the final piece of land needed for Central Park was acquired.

Located in the Downtown Warehouse District, the Warehouse Campus Neighborhood Central Park will cover 1.25 hectares (roughly 12 500 square meters or just over two football fields) between 106 - 107 Street and Jasper Ave - 102 Ave. It is a significant Catalyst Project identified in the Capital City Downtown Plan and fully funded by the Capital City Downtown Community Revitalization Levy .

For more information:
edmonton.ca/warehousecentralpark

Media contact:
Amber Medynski
Communications Advisor
780-944-7914

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 10:39 PM

Sue hope it’s not going to be called “Warehouse Campus Neighborhood Central Park”. “Central Park” is simple, clear as mud.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 10:41 PM
Community Guy

*working title

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 11:26 PM

I'm sure it will be named after someone locally famous.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
I'm sure it will be named after someone locally famous.
I hope not.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 12:24 AM

Name it an unpronounceable aboriginal name.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
Name it an unpronounceable aboriginal name.
Yes...perhaps like other "unpronounceable" aboriginal names...you know like Squamish, or Toronto, or maybe Quebec. Get a grip buddy, this isn't the British colonial era and we (saying this as a non-aboriginal) should celebrate the history of the ancestral people of this land.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 9:33 PM

Petition seeks to honour Edmonton actor in naming downtown park pavilion

Quote:
Warehouse Campus Neighborhood Central Park, about the size of two football fields, will span nearly two blocks from Jasper Avenue to 102nd Avenue and between 106th and 108th streets.

Now a petition is proposing to name a small building in the park "The Nathan Fillion Civilian Pavilion."

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hqcan View Post
Yes...perhaps like other "unpronounceable" aboriginal names...you know like Squamish, or Toronto, or maybe Quebec. Get a grip buddy, this isn't the British colonial era and we (saying this as a non-aboriginal) should celebrate the history of the ancestral people of this land.
https://globalnews.ca/news/3127990/e...-to-pronounce/

Celebrating history and heritage is fine. But I'd rather see common sense go into the naming of roads, regardless the language of origin. Save longer names for parks and neighbourhoods where they can still be meaningful and appreciative without causing dimwitted drivers to weave all over a road while trying to determine if the road name they've been given matches what they're seeing on a way too small street sign.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 2:36 PM

Nearly 10,000 signatures for the Nathan Fillion Civilian Pavilion

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 5:19 PM
Community Guy

Lolz

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 5:52 PM

Quote:
And has been a U.S. citizen since 1997. And travels on it. And his social media quiet on Canada Day. Maybe these 10000 global signatories can start a go fund me for the pavillion.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Boaty McBoatface also got voted for and it didn't happen.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
And has been a U.S. citizen since 1997. And travels on it. And his social media quiet on Canada Day. Maybe these 10000 global signatories can start a go fund me for the pavillion.
He may have abandoned Canada, but not Edmonton. He is known to visit the fringe when he can and has helped raise money for the Varscona Theatre.

Given the way Canada treats Alberta, I'm not going to hold his citizenship against him.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlocked View Post
He may have abandoned Canada, but not Edmonton. He is known to visit the fringe when he can and has helped raise money for the Varscona Theatre.

Given the way Canada treats Alberta, I'm not going to hold his citizenship against him.
To be fair, and I mentioned it, he still holds his Canadian citizenship.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 6:36 PM
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Boaty McBoatface also got voted for and it didn't happen.
Oh, but it did

Boaty

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton