HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^Not really "another note." How is the proximity of a Metra station relevant to whether residents will want to own automobiles? Do you assume that the only trips anyone ever makes is to an office in the Loop?
you mean aside from the fact that its also 2 blocks away from an L stop, and directly on a east/west bus line too? i dont see why this project couldnt have been considered TOD.

also, as someone who is in his 30s and has never owned a car, i can assure you it is possible to do so (and in this area specifically quite easily. ive done it, used to live a couple blocks away and this was even before Marianos was there. id take the lawrence bus to do grocery shopping at Harvestime).

i guess my point is generally, id prefer to see less cars and i still oppose developments that rely heavily on that model. i also understand cars arent going away. i also understand that regardless of whether the cars are self driving or user driven, there will be congestion and they should generally be dissuaded in crowded, dense urban centers.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jul 26, 2016 at 3:49 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 3:30 PM

Quote:
^Not really "another note." How is the proximity of a Metra station relevant to whether residents will want to own automobiles? Do you assume that the only trips anyone ever makes is to an office in the Loop?
Both of you conveniently left out the fact that this is pretty close to a Brown Line stop. Unless the retail going in here is more of a big box type (i.e. a Target, Best Buy, etc) or furniture type of store, there's no reason to have 90 spots for that. We'll see who they get as a tenant though if that many parking spots is justified in that type of setting.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
...someday in the not too distant future cars will be self driving and Uber will be even cheaper (no driver, more efficient routing) and there will be even less demand for parking as the Uber vehicles circle in the city all day and vacate at night or off peak hours to the outskirts of town for maintenance or storage. I suspect that there will be a profitable cottage industry in a couple of decades of figuring out how to deconvert all these parking podia into actually useful space.
My thoughts exactly.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 3:48 PM

^ And we will all be ruled by the precogs.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 3:49 PM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockerzzz View Post
Does anyone have information about the Sports Authority at this intersection?

The store is closing in five days. I hope it gets developed.
Me too, but with so many other underdeveloped parcels at that intersection, having one filled with something denser won't change much. You've also got that hideous mall. That intersection is hopeless.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 3:52 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
on another note, surprised theres been no mention of the Lawrence Sears redevelopment
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=34390

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 3:56 PM

^
figured i missed it. hard to keep up these days!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 4:27 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Me too, but with so many other underdeveloped parcels at that intersection, having one filled with something denser won't change much. You've also got that hideous mall. That intersection is hopeless.
Plus, Dicks Sporting Goods purchased what was left of Sports Authority, and is considering some of their stores for possible expansion. Though, with a Dick's at the New City development, it is unlikely they would open a store at Clark/Barry.

Show me the blueprints

Quote:
^
figured i missed it. hard to keep up these days!
agreed

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
on another note, surprised theres been no mention of the Lawrence Sears redevelopment

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...housing-retail

https://assets.dnainfo.com/photo/201...extralarge.jpg

looks great except for...yup, 90 parking spaces on the second floor. right across from a metra station.
Now this is awesome

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 4:47 PM

yea all other things aside, definitely glad theyre preserving the building. its a unique presence on Lawrence and will be even better once they punch the windows back out.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The density of it is decent, but I agree with Tom Servo - it doesn't look that good at least right now. I've been waiting and hoping they're going to make the facade better but I am doubting it somehow. Not a fan of it other than the decent density of it and how it replaced a one story dunkin donuts + parking lot.
The design is a mess, and when I rode by it closely, I spotted some nasty precast on the first floor, which doesn't bode well for the supposed terracotta cladding. I'm not sure what circumstances were around this that convinced Tunney to ask Hirsch to redesign it to something 'referential', but in their attempt to satisfy everyone they have pleased no one. Programmatically, though, this could prove successful (main caveat being the traffic situation on Clark from Target's freight).

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 4:59 PM

Glad they are restoring it. It was always an eyesore, and I never wanted to shop there. The 20 parking spots are ok for the residents, but I don't think they need 90 for retail. Everyone in the neighborhood walks along there to go to Marianos now. I'm wondering what kind of retail would go there. Lately, it seems little boutiques have been coming to this area. They don't need much parking. There's already a gym, grocery store, and bank next to it.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 5:03 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
The design is a mess, and when I rode by it closely, I spotted some nasty precast on the first floor, which doesn't bode well for the supposed terracotta cladding. I'm not sure what circumstances were around this that convinced Tunney to ask Hirsch to redesign it to something 'referential', but in their attempt to satisfy everyone they have pleased no one. Programmatically, though, this could prove successful (main caveat being the traffic situation on Clark from Target's freight).

Wait it minute - are you suggesting design by committee might not work?!

/sarcasm.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 5:08 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
i think you guys are underestimating how many people are going to want to own self driving cars. theres still going to be a need for parking whether we like it or not. in fact, i see public transit funding taking a serious hit as the infrastructure for self driving vehicles takes off and solidifies the existing auto culture.

the notion that theres just going to be autonomous vehicles circling everywhere without congestion is pretty idealistically utopian. they still need streets to drive on, and if everyone abandons the train and bus because the alternative has gotten so cheap and easy...youre still going to have massive gridlock. it dosent change the math at all. if anything it makes it worse.

Agreed.

The folks who contend that car ownership will largely go away in 15-20 years are smoking some strong stuff.

It's going to be especially critical to significantly ramp-up public investment in transit (in addition of course to other types of) infrastructure over the next decade.....to this end, I'm getting more optimistic then I'd been a few years ago that this is finally going to happen in the years ahead....

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 5:19 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Ironically, curb parking is an important tool in making streets more pedestrian-friendly, because it both slows through traffic and shields those on the sidewalk from the vehicles speeding past.
This is New Urbanist dogma that makes sense to humanize a suburban environment, but in a bonafide city with a critical mass of pedestrians, I don't see why a wider sidewalk and an allee of trees won't have the same effect.

Which sidewalk would you rather walk on?

Narrow sidewalk with parking lane:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8776...8i6656!6m1!1e1

What you could accomplish by eliminating the parking lane:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9032...7i13312!8i6656

Quote:
For folks who want to encourage development (and redevelopment), it's counterproductive to have the folks who live in a neighborhood view any new arrivals as stealing a scarce resource.
Again, the permit parking system is specifically designed to eliminate this problem, and it is granular enough to exclude the residents of individual buildings. Nobody can stop a citizen from parking their car on a street somewhere, but many L stops are already surrounded by permit parking zones to discourage commuter parking so TOD residents can easily be restricted from parking cars nearby.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 5:53 PM
Urbane observer

^Um, your Division street example has street parking. You need sidewalks as generous as Michigan Avenue to make for a comfortable pedestrian experience next to moving lanes. Look at the two streets flanking Dearborn Park to immediately see the difference. Clark and State have similar ROW widths and frontages (mostly walls, unfortunately). But one has street parking, and that's the one people walk along.

Permit parking as a long-term solution is inherently subject to political pressure. Whom do you think the alderman will most want to please in 2025: the 40 side-street homeowners or the 400 voters in the TOD highrise?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 6:02 PM
TL;DR

^ Yes, Division does have street parking but also had the sidewalk width I was indicating. I was going to use a Parisian example but didn't want an apples-orange comparison.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 6:11 PM
The City

Do the 400 people in the TOD highrise even vote?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 6:15 PM

whoever said the Milwaukee corridor is getting overbuilt apparently didnt tell these guys

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...eport-20160726

Quote:
More apartments coming to 'Hipster Highway'

Another apartment developer has caught Milwaukee Avenue fever.

Clayco wants to build a 140-unit multifamily project in Humboldt Park, at the southwest corner of Milwaukee and Armitage avenues. The proposed building sits along the "Hipster Highway," a rapidly gentrifying stretch of Milwaukee heavy with commuter bike traffic that's also served by the CTA's Blue Line. It has become a popular spot for millennials—and residential developers.

"The strength of this area is the location and transit," said Alan Schachtman, director/residential business unit leader at Clayco, a Chicago-based contractor and developer. "You're downtown in 10 minutes and at O'Hare in 20 minutes."

Clayco's eight-story building would include only 28 parking spaces under the city's transit-oriented development ordinance, which allows developers to limit parking in residential projects that are close to train stations. The city changed its TOD ordinance last year to encourage more housing close to transit stops, with the goal of limiting car traffic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development