HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 2:41 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azndragon837 View Post
HooverDam...what was up with the fireworks in the background?

-Andrew
The Dbacks shot off fireworks after the game last night as a promotion. I guess it was the first time they've done it since opening day 1998, they want to do it more often, but because of Sky Harbor flight paths, its difficult.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 3:51 PM

I was on the 37th floor of the Chase tower last night attending a wedding when those fireworks were going off, awesome to see from that height.

Very cool view of all of the construction as well, the whole downtown looks like a construction site.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 4:21 PM

These are all great shots, guys.

Don B., I have a question about the really wide nighttime shot. From that angle, what is obscuring the Bank One sign? Is it just the building itself because of the angle? I can't think of anything else north of it that would be tall enough to block the sign.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 6:06 PM

My faves aren't due to picture or photographer quality (i have a 99 or 00 old cybershot pos), but here are some.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
These are all great shots, guys.

Don B., I have a question about the really wide nighttime shot. From that angle, what is obscuring the Bank One sign? Is it just the building itself because of the angle? I can't think of anything else north of it that would be tall enough to block the sign.
It's the edge of the blue glass building section in front of the solid part of the tower that is blocking the view of the signage.

I took that in 2004 or 2005. Unfortunately, the new blocky and wide Sheraton hotel will block all of the mid-rise towers in the middle of that shot, particularly the Arizona Republic building, the "cheese grater," Phelps Dodge and the Hyatt. You may or may not be able to see the Renaissance Square towers.

--don

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 7:32 PM

I dont think the Sheraton will block all of those. The Sheraton goes from 2nd St to 3rd St whereas the AZ Republic buldings goes from 2nd St and stops half way to 3rd, either way, they both align along 2nd St.

The point is, while the AZ Rebublic and Hyatt buildings will be blocked by the Sheraton from this angle, half of the Phelps Dodge, the whole "cheese grater" and Renaissance Square will all still be in view, not to mention the new 44 Monroe.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 8:38 PM

Here are few of my shots with a couple from published sources.

PIR at dusk during the recent Nascar race Jeff Gordon won.

Peering between the Luhrs Building and stairs of Barrister Place, towards Renaissance Square (I like to mix old and new in shots).

Again, old and new with the stark mass of the Phoenix City Courts building with the restored Greek-inspired building on the corner...I love the contrast.

Parking garages make great platforms for architectural photography. This is from a city garage, looking at the curved back wall of the courts building and city hall next door.

I see a theme emerging...the beautiful historic city hall and the new hi-rise city hall peeking out above it.

The old church ruin around 4th Ave and Monroe (I think). Ihope this gets incorporated in future development.

View west down Jefferson from the arena parking garage roof. I like those curved streets.

From inside the arena garage, framing the nice grouping of hi-rises.

Night falling on DT taken from the future site of Central Park East. I would love to see the facade remodeled of the building between the Hotel San Carlos and the Building where PURL is located. It is butt-ugly and detracts from that nice urban wall.

Last edited by JimInCal; Jun 24, 2007 at 8:49 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 11:33 PM
under the influence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I dont think the Sheraton will block all of those. The Sheraton goes from 2nd St to 3rd St whereas the AZ Republic buldings goes from 2nd St and stops half way to 3rd, either way, they both align along 2nd St.

The point is, while the AZ Rebublic and Hyatt buildings will be blocked by the Sheraton from this angle, half of the Phelps Dodge, the whole "cheese grater" and Renaissance Square will all still be in view, not to mention the new 44 Monroe.
That's assuming that you only stand on 2nd or 3rd street, several blocks north of the Sheraton. If you are any closer, it starts to occlude quite a bit. And if you stand over further east or west of both streets, it tends to hide quite a bit as well.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 11:45 PM

I was referring to the angle that Don took the picture from...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest