HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 5:54 AM

Talking Tempe, Scottsdale, and Phoenix which 1 has best downtown

I made this thread to see what people thought about these cities and which one you like the best.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 5:58 AM

Probably Scottsdale.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 3:18 PM

Scottsdale now, Tempe in 5 years, and Phoenix in 10.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 6:05 PM
Skyriser

city vs. city threads are HIGHLY frowned on in this forum, but since you're new it's ok--I certainly wouldn't start one outside of MW. but if you like that and the non-stop trollfest it invites, head on over to that other skyscraper site whose name escapes me now.

anyways, i would say tempe has the best downtown now--it's interesting and has height, has parts existing before World War 2, and it's very walkable. i'm not big on malls or clubs and generally dislike Scottsdale, so I'm biased of course. downtown scottsdale is also the largest of all three, but there doesn't seem to be much cohesiveness between the various spread out districts. tempe and phoenix also have better transit service and always will.

but downtown phoenix is still the capitol, and will always have that edge over the other cities. our buildings are generally older. urban form is back on track. despite the city's best efforts to kill it, our art scene runs circles around scottsdale's and tempe's. the office market here is too cool, and I'd rather have our "8 buildings" and vacant lots than the sprawling auto clusterfuck of north scottsdale that provides just as much raw space. here, with all the vacant lots and height, it's almost a blank slate to grow and prosper and much more fun to watch--whether for the better (towers over parking lots) or worse (Madison Square Garden). the other cities, perhaps too filled up even--tempe's done, and scottsdale never had any shred of history.

think as soon as the residences and stupid ASU students normalize, Phoenix will be picking up mass amounts of steam as all the 7 AM - 3 PM businesses gradually start to stay open later and later.

coming in from the 10, you can now see 44 Monroe's crane peaking up above the skyline as well as all the other activity going on just ringing the core--it's amazing. late 2007 to mid 2008 will be the year of the crane downtown--let's review the stuff that should still have a decent sized one by then:

44 Monroe perhaps, the Criminal Court Tower, the journalism school, the student housing, the convention center, the hotel probably, the MAG Tower, Wood Partners, Omega, CityScape, Central Park East, are all good candidates. Jet and Copper Pointe might as well, in addition to I'm sure a few sketchy projects we haven't heard of or went stale and the bioscience campus stuff.

granted, hopes don't make a downtown, and most people don't care about a criminal court tower. but by sheer size of just the guaranteed stuff--ASU, MAG/CCT, the convention center, the hotel, hospital(s), and light rail, we should do alright.

and to think, our "bubble" is deflating. if we have another 2005/6 past 2009, Phoenix, as well as Tempe and Scottsdale, will be absolutely insane.

either way, I'm happy to be in the metro. we should be fortunate that we create as many jobs a year as 45 states.

Last edited by combusean; May 19, 2007 at 6:12 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 6:10 PM

What is the MAG Tower.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 6:36 PM
Skyriser

I reported on it a few posts back in Phoenix Development News ... the Maricopa Association of Governments is building a 10 - 12 story tower at around 250,000 square feet on 1st avenue and McKinley. It should be under construction later this year, but Phoenix's permitting process might not allow such a tight time-frame.

Old Posted May 20, 2007, 1:02 AM

This is slightly off-topic, but I read someplace that so far, ASU students haven't had that big of an impact on downtown businesses. I think a business program downtown, even if it's just an off-spin of the MBA program, would be good for downtown businesses, b/c the office workers that currently use downtown businesses and business students might be a more closely compatible/similar market. I wish ASU would consider putting some business programs/students downtown.

As for which downtown is best, I would say Tempe, although I'm close to the college age. I do think Phoenix has a lot going for it, and it's only going to get better. Scottsdale - I see this downtown getting a lot older with time. All the housing that's going in is mostly going to appeal to the older crowd, although the same could be said for Tempe. Honestly, I never go to downtown Scottsdale, the scene's just not for me.

Old Posted May 20, 2007, 1:56 AM
Skyriser

I think once the ASU students start to get their collective heads out of their asses and stop expecting the University to hand-hold them through life downtown, and we get a whole lot more of them once the journalism school open up, etc they'll be fine. Right now the legends are just getting started about who has the best sandwiches or whatever.

Old Posted May 20, 2007, 3:14 AM

Tempe now, and for many, many years to come. Tempe's hand is forced. It's the only land-locked city in the Valley, which means that the only way for it to grow is up. That means that it will become more and more urban. I can think of 12-14 towers that are planned or going up in and around Mill Ave., that's not even counting the Town Lake development. It's also got the most diverse mix of people in the Valley, and the condos that are going up will only add to that.

I'm a little biased, but I think Tempe is awsome. Where else in the Valley, or anywhere for that matter, can you hike a desert mountain, go kayacking, attend a Division I college sporting event, grab a bite to eat at a half dozen or so great restaurants, shop major chain stores or boutiques, walk an urban environment, or go to nightclub. All within a square mile of each other? And that's the stuff that there everyday, throw in all the special events (art fair, Block Party, October Fest, concerts at Town Lake, Insight Bowl, etc...), and it completely blows away all other parts of the Valley.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 7:42 AM

Eclectic Eateries, Out of norm, artsy or athletic events/ overall experience: Downtown Phoenix
College scene/ Most urban environment: Tempe

Most momentum: three way tie?

Priciest: Scottsdale
Furthest way to go: Downtown Phoenix
Doesn't have to try hard: Downtown Tempe

Most Urban street: Mill Ave Tempe
Densest nightlife: Scottsdale

Best events: toss up Tempe & Downtown Phx
Town Lake and Mill Ave / Phoenix with First Fridays and major sporting events

10yrs- may be the same situation- although all will be powerhouses....

North Scottsdale/ Desert Ridge/ Scottsdale One/ Palesene area will be a force to be reckoned with.... currently not on radar except for Kierland

Downtown Phx should be baaaaadddd ass! Especially if Cityscape and Warehouse District meet half of our expectations.... (And of course give Downtown ASU Campus and Lightrail growth time to take effect)

Tempe will be tall as hell- should look like a mini Gaslamp or so.... And Centerpoint----------Hayden Silo Mill redevelopment-----HFL will be amazing.

But Scottsdale has the money, and what seems to be the most powerful intersection in all of Greater Phx (just tops out 24th and Camelback in my opinion). (refering to Scottsdale rd and Camelback)
Safari Drive, Camelview, 4020 Lofts, Waterfront, Third Avenue Lofts, Waterview, W hotel, Valley Ho, Mondrian....... lots of goodies in there.
Barneys and maybe Bloomingdales.....
And I heard from one of the top dogs at lightrail that the line is definitely coming down Scottsdale rd.

good debate-
Should be interesting to watch!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest