HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 1:21 PM
The City

How often did you visit your city's downtown this past year?

This is a question for people who already aren't downtown dwellers.

The questions covers 2 parts:

1. Were you ever a regular visitor of your city's downtown? (when I say 'your city' I mean your major nearby city, not the suburb that you may live in). Because this is my thread, btw, I will define all of Manhattan south of 110th or so as NYC's "downtown"

2. How did COVID change the frequency that you visited downtown?

So in my experience, visiting Chicago was a very important part of my life up until COVID. Yes, I went to the city to tend to my real estate investments, but if we even remove those trips, I went perhaps once per month downtown with my wife/family to partake in all of the wonderful things the city has to offer. Sometimes we would go to a neighborhood, but usually it was downtown. For the usual stuff, of course: dinner, shops, a show, a walk along some of the grand parks, sometimes a museum, etc.

Going downtown was central to me and my family--it was a part of what made living here in a relatively high tax (and cold weather!) locale worth it, among other things.

Fast forward to the year of the pandemic: literally we went 3 times. Once in April 2020, once in the summer, and once last week. In 2 of the 3 times we just stayed in the car and did a drive by. Last week my wife and kids stepped out of the car briefly to go to one store.

So for me, the change has been transformational. It not only involved my NOT going downtown any more, but it also impacted how I viewed the value proposition of where I lived. I think it was a complete realignment of sorts, particularly for a region like Chicagoland which has historically always been SO core-centric.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 1:42 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Not including numerous bike rides along the lakefront (which isn't really "being" downtown, but still gives some connection to the core), I think I've only been walking on the streets of downtown 5 times in the past year, all of those visits were to deal with a tenant move-out and subsequent remodelling of my rental condo in Marina City.

Thankfully I got a new tenant to move-in straight-away paying full asking price (which admittedly isn't a lot at MC, relatively speaking).

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 29, 2021 at 1:52 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 1:57 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

probably 2x for downtown st. louis? i spent 8 months on an illinois jobsite working 6-7 day work weeks so wasnt even in st. louis for the majority of 2020. depends on what you mean by “downtown” to me. i live within walking distance of this and am here all the time.

skylinescenes.com

typically i spend more time downtown in a normal year, yes.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 2:08 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Not including numerous bike rides along the lakefront (which isn't really "being" downtown, but still gives some connection to the core), I think I've only been walking on the streets of downtown 5 times in the past year, all of those visits were to deal with a tenant move-out and subsequent remodelling of my rental condo in Marina City.

Thankfully I got a new tenant to move-in straight-away paying full asking price (which admittedly isn't a lot at MC, relatively speaking).
So, would you say that this describes the frequency at which you visited downtown prior to the pandemic as well?

I don't recall you being much of a downtown aficionado (except for appreciating the architecture and skyscrapers, of course) prior to COVID.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 2:23 PM

Maybe 6 times.
I did more outdoors stuff where it was safer.

Before COVID, I was downtown about once a week.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 2:41 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

1. every day (I live here)
2. I was downtown much more than usual (since I only went into the lab/office, which is not downtown, rarely, and didn't go on any trips).

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 2:46 PM
Ex Houstonian

At least twice a week, except for in the beginning of rona when absolutely everything was needlessly shut down and before rona I usually went downtown about the same.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 2:55 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
So, would you say that this describes the frequency at which you visited downtown prior to the pandemic as well?
No, it's definitely less.

Back when I had a job, I worked in downtown evanston, so I wasn't a daily visitor or anything like that, but I certainly went downtown more often pre-pandemic.

And I imagine I will once again as we move toward herd immunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I don't recall you being much of a downtown aficionado.
I love downtown.

In fact, I lived downtown for 8 years from 2006-2014.

But now that I'm a family man, city neighborhood is more my speed (and WAY more in my price range).

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 29, 2021 at 3:18 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 3:23 PM

I work downtown - so 2+ times a week -vs- 4+ times a week pre-pandemic.

( as an essential worker this was even during the times that things were needfully shut down. )

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 3:28 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Been to LA’s core ( DT, Santa Monica, Century City, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, etc) 2-3 times, all last October when I had a break between clinical rotations.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 3:32 PM

Pre Covid I was downtown 3 times a week for work. Last year after the middle of March I have been downtown four times. Once was to replace my work computer and the other three were bike rides to check it out. I was never one to go hang out in downtown anyway so I suspect that pre COVID and if I didn't work downtown I would have been downtown only a few times anyway

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 3:49 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Almost daily as part of my commute.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 4:21 PM

I have no idea. Restrictions were really harsh a year ago, when they still were clueless about the virus and variants. There was an actual lockdown from mid March to mid May of 2020.

But now it's much easier. Especially when you transit by bike. Local cops are usually cooler and more smiling to people cycling. They won't annoy you for your bike rides and transit.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 4:22 PM

Pre-COVID, I was going to downtown LA at least once or twice a week. We like to go to some of the restaurants there, and we love going to the big main Central Library---something I've really missed doing since COVID.

In the past year, I've probably gone to downtown LA five or 6 times.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 4:23 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Dozen or so times tops...pre Covid it was at least once a week.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 4:37 PM

Been to/through downtown Boston about 100 times, about the same as always other than during the early stages last Spring. The biggest difference between pre and post-covid is that I now often have to abort early because I don't feel comfortable using the public restrooms.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 5:56 PM
The City

So the general consensus is, for most people, a MAJOR reduction in trips to/within downtown.

Nothing Earth shattering here, obviously, but it comes as no surprise that downtown businesses are in SERIOUSLY bad shape as a result of this

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 6:45 PM
E pluribus unum

Flagstaff: About 85% of my job is done from home, but my office (as well as the county courthouse) are downtown so I'm there at least once or twice a week.

However, I don't think I've been to Downtown Phoenix since February 2020, when my dad and I went to Diamondbacks fanfest at the ballpark. February 2020 was the last time I visited any major city's downtown (Columbus, to see a hockey game).

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 8:02 PM

I used to go to DTLA about once a month before Covid-19. My wife and I would walk all over and check out the new development, and then grab a meal and drinks. After Covid-19 started up, we went down there one time and it was so overrun with homeless that it didn't feel comfortable to walk around anymore. Then this happened in broad daylight, which spooked me a bit as well:

Family With 2-Year-Old Child Threatened at Gunpoint in Downtown LA Robbery Caught on Video

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...video/2520536/

Quote:
Police asked for help Friday identifying four people accused in an armed robbery in downtown Los Angeles, during which a man, woman and their 2-year-old child were threatened at gunpoint and the man was shot and pistol-whipped.

The family was targeted about 3:05 p.m. Thursday near Seventh and Hill streets, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

The couple were shopping with their toddler when two people jumped out of a gray Chrysler 300, pointed guns at them and stole their property, according to police.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 8:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Maybe three times last year, as opposed to the usual 3 times per week. Granted, downtown London (the uncool one in Ontario) is not exactly a hub of eclectic urbanity, but heck, there are a couple of spots that try and it has potential to be something better if only more people would make the effort that I do. Sadly, covid shut most stores/restaurants (aside from takeout/curbside) and since that doesn't appeal to me, I have little reason to go downtown until restrictions lift.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions