HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 8:55 PM
BANNED

^Lol not fair even 333 looks like ass in that pic

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Well put. This is a hard building to love.

Chicago Skyline (1986) 4 by indylatenight, on Flickr
i would like to see that shot today

EDIT: found one!
(2/22/13)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/clarso...n/photostream/

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
The windows are NOT an improvement. The monolithic facade ***sigh, wish it were still there*** was clean and elegant (tho i admit the concrete quality was probably not amaze). What's left is a utilitarian mess, sloppy and chaotic. As well, the a monolithic facade would make a much better backdrop to WP's new glass.

Edit: it seems like these facade "improvements" are just thoughtless attempts to exploit max value out of a newly acquired "asset".
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I agree that the monolithic facade was much better than what is there now. The vertical vents on the garage and main building looked awesome slicing through that unbroken plane. It was never a particularly awesome building to begin with, but all redeeming qualities of the original design were lost when they punched it all open for windows.
Agree with you both, except the "mess" doesn't bother me as much as it does Notyrview. IMO, the (brick?) base is the shittiest part.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 3:24 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post

318 West Adams, a ~20-story tower opposite Sears Tower, had its entire south face (plus some wraparound the sides) reclad in the last ten years or so.

Also, the ~30-story residential tower at Broadway & Grace was either reclad or at least re-fenestrated just a couple years ago (but very little of the facade was not glass, so it's practically a full reclad). To a lesser extent (but to great effect), also 1130 South Michigan.

Actually, and we could include the Montgomery (one I really like) I suppose. So there have been a sprinkling here and there. Would be nice to see a very prominent office tower reclad at some point....who knows, maybe later this boom?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Actually, and we could include the Montgomery (one I really like) I suppose. So there have been a sprinkling here and there. Would be nice to see a very prominent office tower reclad at some point....who knows, maybe later this boom?
That may be the best example we have.
As 70s-era office buildings sink beyond Class B and C status, there probably will be some very good recladdings in the years to come.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 7:57 AM
dream fast

10/27

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 12:16 PM
BANNED

^Good stuff, George. Don't let this reignite the Apparel Center discussion, BUT, depending on one's vantage point, just look at how much our view of it will be blocked by WPW. A good 80%?

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
10/27

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 12:46 PM
BANNED

Spring up like a weed now!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^Good stuff, George. Don't let this reignite the Apparel Center discussion, BUT, depending on one's vantage point, just look at how much our view of it will be blocked by WPW. A good 80%?

The 3 Wolf Point towers will be oriented N-S. Because they are long and rather narrow, they will create mere view corridors. Looking in or out, it will be like looking through a telescope - no wide views.

So, if you are looking straight down a corridor from due South, something like 50% of the Apparel Towers will show. But, there will only be 2 main corridors - one on either side of the South Tower. (The SW corner of the Apparel Center will peek out beyond the NW corner of the WP West Tower.)

Probably (I can't do the geometry), if you are looking down a corridor from an angle 20 degrees East or West of due South, little to nothing of the Apparel Center should show.

Shorenstein, which bought the Apparel Center, probably heard only "50% blocked out", thought there would be 1-2 towers and the view South (other than directly South) would be better and wider than it will be. But, that's a matter of Shorenstein's failure in doing its due diligence.

And, that's the reason why posters can theorize that the Apparel Center may eventually be demolished and something new built there.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 9:45 PM
dream fast

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 10:21 PM

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 4:55 PM
BANNED

They're setting columns for the 6th floor today.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 9:03 AM
dream fast

11/6

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 4:27 PM
You had me at herro...

Looks like amid all the construction they have the new parking garage there open for business. Fairly smart of them, pull in at least a few $$ during the construction process.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 5:36 PM

Nov 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post
Looks like amid all the construction they have the new parking garage there open for business. Fairly smart of them, pull in at least a few $$ during the construction process.

Look ma - real granite - for the parking area.

(11/5)

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 4:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
..Snip from your post in the 130 N Franklin thread..

Regardless, this is yet another very strong signal to the market (specifically to Buck, Tishman, Hines, others) that it is time to build, build, build (in addition to the two office towers already under construction)........will have more to say about this in the high-rise compilation thread.....
^Agreed. As the office market clearly warms up, keep an eye on progress here at Wolf Point. There might be greater emphasis on completing the west tower absolutely ASAP (working late into evenings and on Saturdays) in order to get started immediately on the South Tower, which was shown to contain offices. Kennedy might soon be kicking himself for structuring phase 1 before phase 2.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 7:27 PM
you know where I'll be

^ I've explained previously why it's more likely to expect the South tower to be a combo residential/hotel tower and the East tower to be office:

For the given heights, the easiest way by far to get a nearly 1,000' tower is a high-end resi/hotel tower. Office, on the other hand, prefers (at least in market perception - and certainly the last couple decades in Chicago in practice) to be by itself.....and guess what - a 700-750' tall building designated for the East tower would just so happen to correspond to an office only tower of around 50-55 floors.....also, think about this - wouldn't Ivanhoe Cambridge (its main equity source for RiverPoint) and its lenders for RiverPoint have negotiated some sort of agreement with Hines that it can't start another, competing office tower downtown until a, b, c milestones are passed with respect to leasing/stabilization of RiverPoint? Common sense would augur for negotiating such in that deal. This is why I think sequencing would likely be for residential/hotel (south tower) to be phase 2 and office (east tower) to be phase 3 for Wolf point....

I don't think Hines has given any specifics - other than just conceptual level - that they plan x use for south tower, y, z use for east tower, or whatever. But what I've outlined above makes the most sense for them to go with (without changing the basic approved PD)....

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 7:34 PM

Nov 12

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 7:24 AM

The south tower can be no shorter than 1,479' or the balance will be off.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 1:10 PM
BANNED

Agreed, it should be a REAL super tall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive