HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
I know the BierBeisl moved from Beverly Hills to Downtown, I also saw you guy's talking about an opening in 2015 (I forgot the name), but the reviews on Yelp were really bad.
I just had lunch there today. It started with bad reviews because he had a 15% service charge. He deleted that. It is great food.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
I thought Apex 2 was Caramel Partners?
It is Holland partners

Last edited by Resident; Feb 14, 2016 at 4:20 AM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident View Post
I just had lunch there today. It started with bad reviews because he had a 15% service charge. He deleted that. It is great food.
.. what happened to the BierBeisl?

I know them from Beverly Hills, they were great. They wanted a bigger place, for more people and that's what we get? An Imbiss? I pay 24$ for a Wiener Schnitzel and get the "Imbiss-Style"?

The old place was so exclusive and beautiful.

That is so disappointing for a native German. It looks like the Wurstküche (great place), just cheaper and yes, it's not. Don't get me wrong, I guess the place is still ok, but that ambience is a shock.

Not only the ambience, all the great food is gone, it's just an Imbiss now.

German-American, IT Nerd, Workaholic

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 4:39 AM

Slightly updated version of that list.. I'll add more like budgets & number of units when I have time.

Any other suggestions?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 5:09 AM
Another day in Paradise

^ Nice list! One thing: Frankentower 2 is listed as a "Renal" property

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 6:29 AM

The list is ok, but you might want to go for lighter colors.
This hits me like a punch in the face.

Make Excel great again!

PS:

No need for budget numbers, keep it simple.

German-American, IT Nerd, Workaholic

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 6:31 AM

What about 1201 Grand and 1233 Grand?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbay View Post
^ Nice list! One thing: Frankentower 2 is listed as a "Renal" property
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
The list is ok, but you might want to go for lighter colors.
This hits me like a punch in the face.

Make Excel great again!

PS:

No need for budget numbers, keep it simple.
These are the lightest blue & greens Numbers is letting me use.

Quote:
What about 1201 Grand and 1233 Grand?
Thanks!

Holy crap there is no way even 3+ of these happen (outside the 2 that have already broken ground). We're in a bubble so much larger than the last - get your cash ready, investment opportunities are coming!

Last edited by ConstructDTLA; Feb 15, 2016 at 12:27 AM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLAdenizen View Post
Not my estimates. I don't believe most of these will happen, but I wanted to put it out there so we can see what could have been.

I was hoping your list was possibly based on insider news you had gotten from the various devlprs of the projs being tallied.....that maybe your work in doing professional pictorial shoots in dt had opened the doors to some interesting chatter you've heard on the grapevine during the past few wks. But your words of caution about real estate bubbles & my hearing lots of ongoing talk about looming...growing...weaknesses in many of the world's economies should have made me know the idea of a lot more groundbreakings in dtla this yr is not terribly realistic.

so much of the new devlpt in dt is overly dependent on housing only, with a bit of back up from hotel projs. but that's not as broad based an economy as it should be....as it would have to be to open the doors to lots more new devlpt. It's tough to go beyond projs that are more than just apts or condos when this is going on....

Quote:

Despite being a much-hyped neighborhood, Downtown’s South Park office submarket saw its vacancy rise in the fourth quarter. A total of 17.2 percent of its space was empty, up from 16 percent in the previous quarter, according to a report by Colliers International.

It also saw negative absorption of 37,500 feet in the fourth quarter and 183,500 square feet in 2015.

The 11 buildings that make up the 3.3 million-square-foot submarket saw 65,000 square feet of leasing activity in the fourth quarter. No construction was completed, but 78,500 square feet was underway.

Rents in South Park were slightly lower than rents in Downtown’s Financial District and Bunker Hill submarkets, at $2.88 a square foot a month ($34.63 a square foot a year).

btw, the various apt projs from the much derided gh palmer....due to his love of faux tuscan architecture & his bldgs being clones of one another....seem to have fewer vacancies than some of the other major apt devlpt in dt. This is based on the number of available apts listed on his apt bldg's websites. that's another reason why when this thread meanders off into the realm of armchair architecture reviews instead of assessments on economics, I feel like a big part of the picture is missing.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 3:44 PM

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 8:36 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMP View Post
That would be Clifton's. Never mind the haters, I just went down there for the first time and it was awesome! The kind of thing that you would expect to see in Downtown San Francisco.
So funny that you mention San Francisco. Andrew Meieran, the owner/proprietor of The Edison and Clifton's, has many properties in San Francisco, which is really where he got his start developing. I want to say that the Higgins/Edison was his first project in LA. Not the easiest person to work with as he can be a perfectionist - which I think he would readily admit - but the dude definitely has vision and pretty impeccable taste.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Yeah, BierBiesel is one of the few new places downtown that I like. It's a little pricey, but casual without trying too hard.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Thanks!
Holy crap there is no way even 3+ of these happen (outside the 2 that have already broken ground). We're in a bubble so much larger than the last - get your cash ready, investment opportunities are coming!
I have 10 on the list that are pretty much guaranteed. I can't wait for the day when you shut up about mentioning the "end of the cycle" on every single post you do.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 2:02 AM

Quote:
I have 10 on the list that are pretty much guaranteed. I can't wait for the day when you shut up about mentioning the "end of the cycle" on every single post you do.
He essentially has. He has said he doubts a lot of them breaking ground but no where has he mentioned the word cycle. He hasn't said that word in a while

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 2:12 AM

Quote:
He essentially has. He has said he doubts a lot of them breaking ground but no where has he mentioned the word cycle. He hasn't said that word in a while
Well I did name my graphic the 2012-2018 Cycle up above ^

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 2:40 AM

Quote:
I've heard rumors he is banned from saying those kinds of things on other forums by the most awesomest moderators ever. We should consider that here.....

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 4:28 AM

Quote:
I hope your resentment about a person expressing caution about possible groundbreakings this year is just mainly friendly street bravado.

Several yrs ago when the sales office of the original version of the massive park fifth proj opened & contained very impressive, expensive models of the towers, there was a forumer here who popped up momentarily about that devlpt. I recall merely asking that person how firm was the funding for that bldg. He...or she...became so indignant, even irate....oddly so....about an innocent question. That unnerved me but was also a warning sign that something was wrong. As everyone knows, the park fifth proj, in spite of its elaborate show room & presentation material, died before groundbreaking occurred.

this article below was linked at a major news website today & it got me to thinking about how the way dtla is changing may have relevance to ppl even dozens of miles to the west. Lots of forumers are obsessed that new devlpt in dt be as tall as possible, & ppl living in properties like this one probably will agree with those forumers. The views that ppl in hoods like Bel Air have of the city will be more dramatic & interesting the fuller dtla looks & the easier it is to see from a distance.

Quote:

The view: Downtown Los Angeles's skyline lies to the East, plainly visible to much of the new Bel Air mansion on a clear day. Views to the south show skyscrapers and city lights in Hollywood with the Pacific visible in the distance. JEFF COLLINS, STAFF

Four years ago, Paul McClean was working out of his garage. But his business outgrew that setting, and now the Irish-born home designer has an office in Orange’s Old Towne, a staff of 10...and a reputation as one of the most talented creators of contemporary homes in Orange and Los Angeles counties.

Oh, and he also is designing a 104,000-square-foot “giga-mansion” in Bel Air that’s a contender for most expensive home on the planet.

“The asking price will be $500 million,” mansion developer Nile Niami told Bloomberg News last spring.

“It’s just great to design homes in such a fantastic climate and to take advantage of the ocean and city views,” McClean said. “I got off the bus in California, and the first thing that struck me was the light. Our houses are all about light. Light and water.”

Some experts say Niami’s outsized asking price is merely a publicity stunt.

“It has as much chance of getting $500 million as $500 billion,” said Los Angeles broker Bob Hurwitz, who sells luxury homes around the globe. “It’s ridiculous. It’s ludicrous, and everybody knows it’s ludicrous. … It’s an ego thing. Every agent knows he’s not selling for that number.”

The home will have 360-degree views from the Santa Monica Mountains to downtown Los Angeles and, on clear days, the shimmering blue Pacific to the west.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 6:16 AM

Quote:

Why are we in a bubble?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
I hope your resentment about a person expressing caution about possible groundbreakings this year is just mainly friendly street bravado.
Nope. Pure anger.

It's like everybody is at a party and having a great time and enjoying themselves. Best party in the history of the town. Then Hunter interrupts every conversation telling people that this party sucks.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 7:03 AM

Bubble or not, definitely feels good to have that chart as a visual to see what could possibly be the official start of a boom season esp after el niño clears out. It's gonna be a beautiful sight to see more prominent cranes dotting the skyline with projects like 820 Olive, Fig Central, frankentowers, circa, Metropolis 3 & 4, JW, etc. Good times! Also would be cool to post that chart on the 1st page, and highlight each groundbreaking or incoming proposals

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations