HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Canad Inns Destination Centre in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Winnipeg Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 5:42 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Here's an update on the hotel, courtesy of dear old dad.

These pictures didn't turn out. Where can I see them?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 6:46 PM
What could go wrong?

This project is a mess. I have my doubts it will even go. PCL is no longer on the project and i imagine it would look quite different than the original rendering if it does.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 8:38 PM

Does anyone know the intersection of the site?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 6:31 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

originally posted by trueviking in winnipeg construction

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 7:09 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Dec 25, 2008, 1:45 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Is this even happening? For the sake of Winnipeg, I hope not.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 7:51 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Hotel to rise at Health Sciences
Other cities want hospital hotels too

By: Murray McNeill

RECESSION-WARY developers may be shelving hotel projects in other parts of the country, but it's full steam ahead for Canad Inns' proposed new hospital campus hotel.

"We're ready to go," Canad Inns president and chairman Leo Ledohowski said in an interview Tuesday. "It's going to tender at the end of this month and we hope to begin construction in June... and to be done by June 2010."

The Winnipeg-based hotel chain is building a $30-million-plus, 191-room, 18-storey hotel on the Health Sciences Centre campus next door to the new Siemens Institute for Advanced Medicine (SIAM) complex, under construction on William Avenue.

A report in Tuesday's Globe and Mail quoted hotel industry sources as saying almost all new hotel projects in the planning stages in Canada, and even some in the early stages of construction, are being shelved because of the challenges of obtaining financing during a global credit crunch and the uncertainty about the demand for hotel rooms from business and recreational travellers.

But Ledohowski said those aren't issues with Canada Inns' new project. Not only is financing in place, but its target customers are visiting medical personnel, patients and patients' families and friends, rather than regular business or recreational travellers.

When the Canad Inns Health Sciences Centre opens, it will be the only hotel in Canada on a hospital campus. And Ledohowski said that fact hasn't been lost on hospital officials elsewhere in the country.

He said he's fielded a number of inquiries from officials in cities like Calgary and Montreal.

"They're saying, 'What are you doing there? Sounds like something that might work here.' And I say, 'Let's wait and see how things work out,'" he added. "Right now, I want to get this one built."

He said the hotel will address both of those issues. Not only will it be a place where patients and their families can stay, but it will have three food-and-beverage venues -- a Mediterranean-styled bistro, a takeout restaurant and an Aaltos garden cafe.

Ledohowski first started mulling over the idea of building a hotel on a hospital campus about five years ago, while his mother was ill. He said it was difficult for family to properly visit her in a hospital room.

She also didn't care for hospital food, he said, and a hotel on campus would have given her another option.

"I think she would have lasted longer if we could have taken her something or taken her out to a restaurant nearby."

However, the idea didn't take root until 2006 when an HSC official approached him about building a hotel.

"We've been very keen to have Canad Inns build a hotel here," Dana Erickson, the hospital's vice-president and chief administrative officer, said Tuesday.

HSC will get a share of the hotel's profits, Erickson said.

murray.mcneill@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 4:13 AM

I drove by the area today; nothing notable I could see. Mind you I was also admiring a myriad of other improvements they made in that area.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 7:13 PM

I was @ HSC recently, and man the renovations are looking awesome. Really like the new look outside, really cleaned up by the ER

Still no sign of Hotel Construction

But theres a ton of other activity there

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 10:10 PM
Website Manager

I wonder if the hotel is still proposed then?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 4:35 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i gues its under construction now have to take a bike ride down there and see its been fenced off for the last few yrs

Stalled hotel set to rise
Redesigned inn to be located on HSC campus

By: Murray McNeill
Posted: 04/8/2011 1:00 AM |

After several false starts over the last few years, Canad Inns was to break ground this morning on a now-much-more-expensive highrise hotel to be built on Health Sciences Centre's inner-city campus.

It's been nearly five years since the HSC and Manitoba's largest hotel chain first revealed plans to build Canada's first hospital-campus hotel. Since then, the cost has ballooned from an estimated $25 million to nearly $40 million.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...119461499.html

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 5:42 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 6:30 AM
Transit Nerd

Well, we finally have another skyscraper to take the focus off Portage and Main if you're looking from the Perimetre haha

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 3:19 PM

It's about time they started construction! I think It'll look pretty nice outside and inside.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 4:18 PM

Couple of snaps from the construction site today. Piles going in, foundation walls going up.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 7:12 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 7:58 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Completed:

©KEN GIGLIOTTI / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive