HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 10:19 PM
West bench livin'

West Sacramento sees new bridge as catalyst to growth
By Darrell Smith
dvsmith@sacbee.com
Published: Saturday, Jan. 18, 2014 - 9:45 pm
Last Modified: Sunday, Jan. 19, 2014 - 10:59 am

West Sacramento has long focused on developing its Bridge District, where Raley Field sits near the river, adjacent to colorful new lofts, and city leaders envision a $131 million Marriott hotel and conference center.

But the city is also working on better ways to get middle-class residents from its suburban Southport neighborhood to its entertainment districts and jobs in downtown Sacramento.

By fall, the city hopes to open a new Pioneer Bluff Bridge that will provide speedy access to the freeway and the Raley Field area. In future years, leaders hope a streetcar will travel from Southport to the Tower Bridge and connect to another rail line into downtown Sacramento.

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/01/18/608...#storylink=cpy

------------------------------------------

This was a happy shock for me to hear. Does anyone have any pics of the new bridge progress? Just thinking about all the times I was stuck on Jefferson still brings back chills. Go West Sac, Go!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 6:21 AM
Hindrance to Development

I was definitely interested by the mention of a streetcar line extension into the Southport area. The city of West Sacramento owns the old SN electric railroad line through there, it would make a natural extension from the "starter" line on West Capitol across Tower Bridge. Plus it would make for an easier car-free ride from Midtown to the Nugget on Jefferson Boulevard...

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:26 PM

But are the "Land Pork" piggies still blocking any bridge building?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
But are the "Land Pork" piggies still blocking any bridge building?
Not sure where that proposal is at. There will always be opposition to a new Broadway Bridge. But honestly I'd very much like to see a new R Street pedestrian/bike bridge over the Sacramento River move forward before any Broadway Bridge.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Not sure where that proposal is at. There will always be opposition to a new Broadway Bridge. But honestly I'd very much like to see a new R Street pedestrian/bike bridge over the Sacramento River move forward before any Broadway Bridge.
The Broadway Bridge would be ideal to get more commerce flowing along Broadway, and it is utterly tame and hardly touches Land Park, compared to what is really needed, namely, a Sutterville to Linden Road / Lake Washington Blvd. Bridge. The Land Park NIMBY troublemakers really need a thrashing.

An R Street pedestrian / bike bridge might be a lovely place to stroll, but how does it move goods and services? Or realistically improve neighborhood connectivity? And that very much includes transit buses, mind you.

What is so frustrating about Sacramento is how relatively few bridges there are, for a city built on three sides of two rivers. It is not so much that Sacramento needs more roads, but rather Sacramento needs roads that actually connect and link up to each other. Something is wrong when to get from one neighborhood to an immediate adjacent neighborhood across the river, one has to get on a thru traffic freeway because there is no local connector bridge. (e.g., South Natomas to Downtown)

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
The Broadway Bridge would be ideal to get more commerce flowing along Broadway, and it is utterly tame and hardly touches Land Park, compared to what is really needed, namely, a Sutterville to Linden Road / Lake Washington Blvd. Bridge. The Land Park NIMBY troublemakers really need a thrashing.

An R Street pedestrian / bike bridge might be a lovely place to stroll, but how does it move goods and services? Or realistically improve neighborhood connectivity? And that very much includes transit buses, mind you.

What is so frustrating about Sacramento is how relatively few bridges there are, for a city built on three sides of two rivers. It is not so much that Sacramento needs more roads, but rather Sacramento needs roads that actually connect and link up to each other. Something is wrong when to get from one neighborhood to an immediate adjacent neighborhood across the river, one has to get on a thru traffic freeway because there is no local connector bridge. (e.g., South Natomas to Downtown)
I think because there's more room at the end Broadway and since it's closer to the Bridge District it makes more sense than Linden/Suttervile Rd.connector bridge. Otherwise it would just be connecting two suburbs and mostly for the benefit of Southport residents. I still think we need a vehicular bridge over the river but if I could only choose one I'd rather have a R Street ped/bike bridge because from an urban infill perspective it would do more to improve downtown connectivity and make our riverfront much more appealing. Especially if you look at what West Sacramento is planning in the Bridge District.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 7:53 PM
West bench livin'

Oh please, oh please make that a real fruition! It would make going to visit the family and in-laws there such a pleasure!!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcntry View Post
Oh please, oh please make that a real fruition! It would make going to visit the family and in-laws there such a pleasure!!
It's already starting. Construction on the Rivermark project (below) is well underway and now quite visible from the Sacramento side of the river.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 9:10 PM

While I agree that a bridge is needed. The need of some people to CONSTANTLY bash other posters or groups of people is unnecessary!!! A "thrashing"? Maybe you need an anger management course before Sacramento needs a bridge, NickB1967!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 5:02 AM

Quote:
I think because there's more room at the end Broadway and since it's closer to the Bridge District it makes more sense than Linden/Suttervile Rd.connector bridge. Otherwise it would just be connecting two suburbs and mostly for the benefit of Southport residents. I still think we need a vehicular bridge over the river but if I could only choose one I'd rather have a R Street ped/bike bridge because from an urban infill perspective it would do more to improve downtown connectivity and make our riverfront much more appealing. Especially if you look at what West Sacramento is planning in the Bridge District.

NOT quite the area north of capitils is townhouses not anywhere near a highrise in these drawings

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web View Post
NOT quite the area north of capitils is townhouses not anywhere near a highrise in these drawings
Aren't those the townhomes in the top right corner of the rendering with the highrises?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcityleo79 View Post
Aren't those the townhomes in the top right corner of the rendering with the highrises?
I think Web is referring to the project on West Capitol Ave (see page 19). The site is located in the second image directly north of Raley Field and is not part of the Triangle. I think what you are referring to is the Ironworks project.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 1:39 AM

Quote:
I think Web is referring to the project on West Capitol Ave (see page 19). The site is located in the second image directly north of Raley Field and is not part of the Triangle. I think what you are referring to is the Ironworks project.
wow My writing was pretty poor. Yes Ozone has it right. The townhomes I was talking about are on the right where a big high rise is shown. The stuff in the back is the 99% finished ironworks.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 7:12 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web View Post
wow My writing was pretty poor. Yes Ozone has it right. The townhomes I was talking about are on the right where a big high rise is shown. The stuff in the back is the 99% finished ironworks.
Time to plow that crap down

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 5:15 AM
NIMBY Hater

Entertainment district proposed for West Sacramento waterfront
Ben van der Meer
Staff Writer-
Sacramento Business Journal

A riverfront entertainment district in West Sacramento stalled by the end of redevelopment looks as if it could be moving forward again, according to Mayor Christopher Cabaldon.

Earlier this week, Cabaldon and city councilmembers heard a presentation from The Cordish Cos. on developing the Stone Lock District, 210 acres owned by the city at the north edge of the Southport neighborhood and bisected by the Barge Canal.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...-west-sac.html

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 6:06 PM

Seems like the wrong location for an "entertainment district."

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 4:05 PM

This sounds pretty cool. West Sac council to vote on the proposal this week. If passed, sounds like it could be up and running in a few months, in time for the Launch music festival.

West Sacramento considers riverfront events space, beer garden

May 12, 2014, 2:36pm PDT
Ben van der Meer Staff Writer-

People attending events at Raley Field may soon have an option nearby for extending their entertainment outing before or afterward.

On Wednesday, the West Sacramento City Council will vote on a proposal called the Barn Project, an outdoor events area along the Sacramento River that will eventually serve as a beer garden on weekends.

“Although it is a new concept of a Riverwalk amenity, the proposed venue is designed to draw attention to the area; and, events and operations will bring visitors to the Riverwalk and Bridge District,” according to the agenda item. “This feature will activate the Riverwalk, generate sales tax and market the city and the district for additional private investment and development.”

The proposal and agenda item includes the city of West Sacramento kicking in $2.6 million to help make improvements for the overall $5.6 million project, which is being spearheaded by Smart Growth Investors II LLC. Though no contact information for Smart Growth Investors was immediately available, officials with Fulcrum, which is developing residential projects immediately south of Raley Field, mentioned developing a riverfront beer garden earlier this year. Fulcrum also has development rights to much of what’s called the Bridge District, including the undeveloped riverfront.

Barn Project would add onto the existing Riverwalk to the north with 25,000 square feet of outdoor event space, intended for farmers’ markets, small concerts and both charity and private events. On weekends, when there’s enough neighborhood population to support it, the area would be called The Barn beer garden. Though somewhat contingent on nearby population and development, the area would host events on a weekly basis with as many as 300 attendees to annual ones of 5,000 people over multiple days...

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...nts-space.html

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownAndy View Post
This sounds pretty cool. West Sac council to vote on the proposal this week. If passed, sounds like it could be up and running in a few months, in time for the Launch music festival.

West Sacramento considers riverfront events space, beer garden

May 12, 2014, 2:36pm PDT
Ben van der Meer Staff Writer-

People attending events at Raley Field may soon have an option nearby for extending their entertainment outing before or afterward.

On Wednesday, the West Sacramento City Council will vote on a proposal called the Barn Project, an outdoor events area along the Sacramento River that will eventually serve as a beer garden on weekends.

“Although it is a new concept of a Riverwalk amenity, the proposed venue is designed to draw attention to the area; and, events and operations will bring visitors to the Riverwalk and Bridge District,” according to the agenda item. “This feature will activate the Riverwalk, generate sales tax and market the city and the district for additional private investment and development.”

The proposal and agenda item includes the city of West Sacramento kicking in $2.6 million to help make improvements for the overall $5.6 million project, which is being spearheaded by Smart Growth Investors II LLC. Though no contact information for Smart Growth Investors was immediately available, officials with Fulcrum, which is developing residential projects immediately south of Raley Field, mentioned developing a riverfront beer garden earlier this year. Fulcrum also has development rights to much of what’s called the Bridge District, including the undeveloped riverfront.

Barn Project would add onto the existing Riverwalk to the north with 25,000 square feet of outdoor event space, intended for farmers’ markets, small concerts and both charity and private events. On weekends, when there’s enough neighborhood population to support it, the area would be called The Barn beer garden. Though somewhat contingent on nearby population and development, the area would host events on a weekly basis with as many as 300 attendees to annual ones of 5,000 people over multiple days...

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...nts-space.html
shouldnt this say to the "south"......the river walk to the north ends at the I st bridge and this is no where near raley field

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 3:44 PM

Barn project sounds like a great idea. We've come along way where we're thinking about an entire area where one can have a beer in a public space.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 1:34 AM
Hindrance to Development

Sounds basically like the "Concert in the Park" or other events like the LAUNCH Festival or the wine festival events they have in Cesar Chavez Plaza, or Chalk It Up or the Bicycle Film Festival in Fremont Park. It will be nice for West Sacramento to have some Midtown-style amenities, once they have some population over there to support those amenities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area