HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 1:54 AM

Airhero, as far as the LDS parking lot on north. I hear the area may be affected by line of site restrictions due to the temple, I may be wrong. If this is indeed the case I would like to see the church build a technology institute for downtown. Throw in some housing too. Maybe the city could work with the church and put in long anticipated world class recreation center. I’d like to see a large outdoor space for flag football, ultimate frisbee and other student activities , small concerts and gym related activities as well. If the city could assist somehow with the recreation center that would be a huge boon to the residential growth all around.

Just my thoughts on that space.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 2:29 AM

The space is slated for BYU-Salt Lake expansion and Student Housing for both BYU-SLC and LDSBC. LDSBC currently has some students at the Plaza Hotel.

Last I heard on any timeline was after Tower 8 and the Cascade. It is a different area that handles that but they generally use the same contractors and don't want to overwork. They can use the same staging area (NE Corner of 2nd West and South Temple) when the time comes to work on the block. I think it is planned to be the staging area for the Cascade first though.

I think 2025 to 2028 is the earliest we will see something happen on this block though unless there is a dramatic shift in enrollment/housing needs for either BYU-SLC or LDSBC.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 3:28 PM
Engineer

^^^This is what has been rumored. I haven't heard any sourced information about it in probably a decade, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Nice photos Airhero! Thanks for posting them. There are also some nice infill apartments going in down 300w that I hope can change that area nicely. I sure hope the demand continues for housing downtown. Some of these giant projects make me a little nervous. I think I’m liking the smaller infill projects. They feel more urban and tucked away.
I feel the same way about these 6-7 story buildings with huge footprints, in particular the ones with a good amount of street frontage--especially those with poor interaction. Even the projects going through design review aren't looking so good, though I am sure the reviews have precipitated some improvements.

The smaller townhomes and even some of the smaller multifamily buildings going up are quite nice. Even when the design is nothing special, at least the buildings don't overwhelm. I really like how the granary area is developing.

As far as line of site restrictions go, I favor preserving view corridors of the temple from a few angles. That can be done while still building taller buildings. Over half of that block is in the D-1 Zone. I think a view corridor lined with structures would be far more interesting and enhancing to the temple than what we have currently. There's no reason to leave the whole block open. A plaza or two might be nice.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 4:30 PM

Thank you for infusing the forum with a much needed photo update!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 6:40 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Here are some more photo updates of some of the hottest construction projects in down town Salt Lake

P.S. I got lazy and just took the photos on google map, but it basically looks the same as it did 5 years ago... It sure was an ahh inspiring experience though.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 12:00 AM

Inland port compromise with city. I saw a statement on KSL that 10% of the tax increment would go towards affordable housing. Is this specifically for SLC? Elaborate if you have good info

Thanks fellas

And gals?

Last edited by Utah_Dave; Jul 17, 2018 at 11:40 AM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 10:42 AM

Thanks Airhero. Great updates!!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 8:14 PM

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 12:22 AM

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Inland port compromise with city. I saw a statement on KSL that 10% of the tax increment would go towards affordable housing. Is this specifically for SLC? Elaborate if you have good info

Thanks fellas

And gals?
My understanding

State law required that 10% be set aside for low income housing, the legislature made the inland port exempt from that law, then unexempted the NWQ from statr law as if they were doing SLC a favor.

Meaningful things I would like to still see: money for SLC school district, mandate that all coal shipments be tarped to prevent an issue with coal dust.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 9:09 PM

The Central Station development area has been increased. It is now going to 3rd North rather than North Temple.

Info on the upcoming meetings: https://www.facebook.com/events/1039...31934878595904

Not sure if the Facebook link will work or not but is worth a try.

Info:

Quote:
Be part of the Salt Lake Central Station Area Plan Project! This is a multi-organization effort to create an Implementation Plan for the land near two of the City’s most highly used light rail stops: Central Station (AKA: “Intermodal Hub”) and North Temple Station.

The Project is focusing on a specific study area located between 300 North to 400 South, and 300 West to I-I5. Whether you work, live, or simply visit this area, the way in which it will be developed and planned will impact the community.

What do YOU see for the future of the Central Station area? We invite you to attend our community workshop events to share YOUR thoughts on the plan options that are being created.

------------
At Wednesday's DROP-IN WORKING SESSION, watch the urban design team in action as it sketches development scenarios for the publically owned properties in the area, and works with the community to make recommendations for public infrastructure and open space connections. Share your thoughts with the design team and project partners at the various input stations throughout the space.

DROP-IN WORKING SESSION
Wednesday, August 1
5:30 to 7:30 p.m. – Stop by anytime

------------
On Thursday, see the evolved plans and illustrations in a DESIGN PRESENTATION. Stay after for one-on-one DISCUSSION with the design team about the newly unveiled plan options.

DESIGN PRESENTATION + DISCUSSION
Thursday, August 2
5:30 p.m. – 45-minute presentation
6:30 to 7:30 p.m. – Post-presentation Open House

------------
PROJECT DESIGN TEAM
• Planning & Lead: Urban Design Associates
• Transportation: ALTA Design +Planning
• Economic Analysis: Zions Bank

PROJECT PARTNERS
• Wasatch Front Regional Council
• Utah Transit Authority & Redevelopment Agency of Salt Lake City (Project Management Partners)
• Salt Lake City Divisions
- Planning Division
- Transportation
- HAND (Housing and Neighborhood Development)
- Parks and Public Lands

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 12:04 AM

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 2:55 AM

I bet they will do well with that development. Looks like pretty good access at the street level from what I can see and I bet they got a great deal on the land. Nice little project.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
The Central Station development area has been increased. It is now going to 3rd North rather than North Temple.

Info on the upcoming meetings: https://www.facebook.com/events/1039...31934878595904

Not sure if the Facebook link will work or not but is worth a try.

Info:
What happened to Station Center? Are they scrapping that and now going for a larger urban master plan?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
What happened to Station Center? Are they scrapping that and now going for a larger urban master plan?
I think the original RDA section exists. I think this is an extension on that for a possible extension of the RDA area.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 10:11 PM

Has anyone out there heard when Patrinley Group is supposed to break ground on 650 Main? They were supposed to break ground last fall or this spring but still nothing has happened.

By the way Patrinley just broke ground about a month ago on a 30 -story office tower in downtown Denver.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 12:31 AM

I was assuming that Patrinely was trying to get Pluralsight to go with them on their sight close to downtown. But, Pluralsight chose Draper instead.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 2:49 AM

Pluralsight is building a 700,000+ sq ft complex though. That is more than what Patrinely has planned. They at least currently are only looking at 650,000 sq ft total for both phases.

I know that Phase 1 had/has a pre-lease for the first floor or 2 for a medical training center. It looks like that might have fallen through though: http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/650-S...ty-UT/7612313/

Looks like the plan is for the building to be complete sometime in 2020 now, probably towards the end of 2020.

The City has allocated funds for the Trax station and that should start construction either later this year or sometime next year with service starting on either change day in August or December 2019. With the changes that SLC is doing for bus service, I would hope it is included in the August 2019 change day changes.

The thoughts were that Phase 1 would/could be built on spec and that Phase 2 could be a pre-lease or spec build. Phase 2's design however was not yet finalized and may change depending on how fast Phase 1 filled up.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 6:28 AM

I don't have much hope for Patrinely or Millenium. Though, I hope I am very wrong about both of them. I am excited to hear about Tower 8. I think Tower 8 would be competing against Millenium mostly but could also be against Patrinely, too. My bet if this is another competition, PRI will get Tower 8 built, and the others die or delayed. I would love to see all three of them get built, of course.

Btw, I was bored due to the lack of news on this forum. So, I hope you don't mind me posting an aerial image of the northern end of downtown Seattle, highlighting all the new towers/urban mixed-use developments that have popped up within the last 5 years or so.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 9:47 AM

Why would Patrinely and PRI's Tower 8 be in competition? Isn't their tenant focus completely different? Also, if my memory serves me correctly, doesn't Patrinely already have an intent of committment from a major tenant for phase I? Makid, anyone care to share your thoughts or stats on the matter? Also, opinion on Millennium Tower nixed by Tower 8?

It would seem to me that the tariff war and or the construction crew shortages are by far the most relevant obstacles at this point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West