HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 9:06 PM
Ex Houstonian

The only good thing the top .001% of income earners has done for us is bring in these super tall towers to the Manhattan skyline.

https://www.facebook.com/chrislither...hy?ref=tn_tnmn

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 10:30 PM
Gotham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgalka View Post
Interesting article ...

Quote:
111 West 57th Street and 220 Central Park South, are scheduled for completion in 2016. Built in the same tall, skinny mold as One57, they have planned heights of 1,421 feet and 1,031 feet respectively.
220 CPS 1,031ft tall? Must be a mistake ... it's likely the EL figure.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 2:19 PM
Gotham City

Another quote from the vid:

Quote:
"Some of these [the 4 SHoP designed towers] go about 1400'."
That's also very interesting. 111W is already 1,400' but he said some. Maybe it's 80 South, which would be perfect. It would create a counterbalance to the WTC and Shvo.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 6:36 PM
The Chemist

I wonder if its 360 10th Avenue? If so, it would justify the enormous price tag.

I could see it being done too with the enormous floor plates and ceiling heights, and some architectural elements plus mechanical. Although if you ask me, I prefer more supertalls downtown. If it is indeed 80 South Street, that is a plus from an aesthetic standpoint as you mention Hunser, to balance it out.

What excited me is the possible Brooklyn supertall. Between JC and DoBro, my dream of a Hong Kong like feel to NYC is coming true with multiple skylines flanking both rivers. DoBro is like the NYC Kowloon or maybe JC. IDK, but either way, its unreal.

I've been saying this would eventually happen since I joined in 2013.

ShoP definitely deserves a medal. Them and Garry Barnett. We need statues of him because he is NYC's dear leader. Helping build a great city.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 9:07 PM
Gotham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I wonder if its 360 10th Avenue? If so, it would justify the enormous price tag.

I could see it being done too with the enormous floor plates and ceiling heights, and some architectural elements plus mechanical. Although if you ask me, I prefer more supertalls downtown. If it is indeed 80 South Street, that is a plus from an aesthetic standpoint as you mention Hunser, to balance it out.

What excited me is the possible Brooklyn supertall. Between JC and DoBro, my dream of a Hong Kong like feel to NYC is coming true with multiple skylines flanking both rivers. DoBro is like the NYC Kowloon or maybe JC. IDK, but either way, its unreal.

I've been saying this would eventually happen since I joined in 2013.

ShoP definitely deserves a medal. Them and Garry Barnett. We need statues of him because he is NYC's dear leader. Helping build a great city.
Yeah, it could be 360 10th ... after all, it will cost ~$3B which is beyond crazy.

And I concure, it will look so badass with two skylines flanking Lower Manhattan. And every skyline has its respective supertall! Soon enough we will have that Hong Kong like feel and also a lot more supertalls than any other city in the world (except for Dubai and Shenzhen).
I just can't believe how fast things are moving forward. Look at Shvo's Downtown tower, it seems like it could start any day now. And Verre and Steinway will rise simultaneously.

I know we've discussed this before, but man it's really hard to keep track. I'm having trouble following 200m+ projects - totally unthinkable a couple of years ago. 2014 was already an epic year, but 2015 will be even better.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 1:55 PM
Gotham City

All supertalls lined up nicely ... with 1WTC peeping through.

Manhattan on ice. View #2. by abochevarov, on Flickr

Hard to imagine it will only get better.

New York, New York!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 2:58 PM
Gotham City

@chris: I've found a pic which shows how great a supertall will look in Jersey City. It will create an awesome "gate" to New York ...

Manhattan skyline
by siddharthya, on Flickr

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture