Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 7:00 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Skinny makeover lights up 7-foot wide house

Kimberley Mok (@kimberleymok)
Design / Green Architecture
March 22, 2013

We've covered more than a few skinny houses before, noting that they're one way to achieve higher urban densities while still allowing families to have a house to call their own, and if renovated right, could present significant savings in energy consumption.

British architects Alma-nac redid this cramped and dingy terraced house in St John's Hill, Clapham, London, that measures only 2.3 metres (7.5 feet) wide -- built over what was once a lane between two houses.

Read more: http://www.treehugger.com/green-arch...-alma-nac.html

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 7:03 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Romantic tiny forest home built in 6 weeks for $4,000

Design / Tiny Houses
September 4, 2014

Moments of eye-opening insight can come into our lives unexpectedly like a clap of thunder, and when they do, we are usually not the same person, enabling us to go forth on new paths. Carpenter Dave Herrle of Westbrook, Connecticut is one of these people; suddenly emboldened by a walk down an unfamiliar path in the woods:

Read more: http://www.treehugger.com/tiny-house...carpentry.html

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 7:06 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Parisian bathroom converted into comfortable 130 sq. ft. micro-apartment

Design / Green Architecture
October 16, 2013

Though compact apartments are now catching on in North America, they've been common in Europe for some time now. In Paris, France, architects Marc Baillargeon and Julie Nabucet collaborated to convert a space that was formerly the master bathroom of a much larger living space into a standalone micro-apartment of only 130 square feet that's packed full of modern space-saving ideas.

Using an elevated platform as a means to increase the functionality of the space, the designers hid a sliding component underneath which can be transformed from sofa, to bed, to being retracted completely to free up more room. The seating and sleeping area is also intended also as a working space, plus there's a red modern coffee table can be pulled out from the wall whenever it's needed.

Read more: http://www.treehugger.com/green-arch...e-nabucet.html

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 2:05 AM
BANNED

I really like these tiny houses, i've been to a few builders websites and thought how neat it would be to buy one. My last apartment was 170 sq/ft and I actually had room to spare, mind you i had to share the washroom and I only had a single bed but it was all i needed, i lived there for years and the rent was peanuts too. A long time ago my girlfriend and i lived in a 600 sq/ft house and it was cozy as well.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2014, 10:15 AM
Administrator

I didn't realize until now that we have some interest in these things around here. I have a great deal of interest in small living, and have for many years.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2014, 8:54 PM
Crane Goddess

About the only one of these I'd consider living in was the traditional Thai house.
Even though I'm single, these tiny homes wouldn't be practical for me- I've got a decent sized book collection that would take up some room all by itself. I'm also a costumer, working in leather and fabric. I've got a decent sized stash of materials, which also take up space. And of course, my finished creations need to live somewhere.
Call me whatever names you want, but I'd rather have a full sized house and turn parts of it into dedicated work spaces, then mess around with one of these tiny things, and have to dick around with outbuildings or offsite storage. And no, I am NOT willing to get rid of my tools and belongings, just for the sake of "efficient living".

Some of these small homes might work well in warmer climates with reasonably nice weather- you can supplement with outdoor living space and outbuildings- but here in Nova Scotia, which has pretty crappy weather for a good chunk of the year, just nope.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 12:12 AM

Great stuff - love a small space.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 3:18 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Muji’s Tiny Prefab Houses Take Minimalism to the Extreme

Margaret Rhodes
Design
Date of Publication: 11.16.15.
Time of Publication: 7:00 am.

If you shop at Muji, the Japanese emporium of minimalist, space-saving housewares, it’s probably to pick up one of its excellent water-shedding umbrellas, or maybe a few of its adorably slender travel toothbrushes. Typically, you wouldn’t buy anything that couldn’t fit in your backpack.

That could be set to change, given Muji’s latest foray into building homes. The retailer—which last year showed off a prototype for a prefab micro-apartment—recently commissioned prototype designs for three tiny prefab houses. Each home in the Muji Hut lineup was created by one of three high-profile designers: Jasper Morrison, Konstantin Grcic, and Naota Fukasawa (who’s now Muji’s head of design).

The three houses are called the hut of cork (that’s Morrison’s), the hut of aluminum (Grcic’s), and the hut of wood (Fukasawa’s). Each was made in the image of kyosho jutaku, the Japanese style of micro-homes that is at once bizarre in its aesthetic variability and pragmatic in its consideration for dense urban living. Kyosho jutaku homes in Tokyo include ones built onto a single parking space, and others that use a unique form—like stacked steel boxes that allow the facade to double as storage space.

Read more: http://www.wired.com/2015/11/mujis-t...treme/#slide-1

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 6:40 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

160 sqft. cabin in the New England forest, being rented out as vacation getaway:

http://www.gardenista.com/posts/tiny...um=pubexchange

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 6:44 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Tiny Footprint: A Prefab Home for Two, in 183 Square Feet

by Michelle Slatalla
Issue 22 · DIY Landscaping · June 5, 2015

How simply do you want to live? The question prompted South Africa-based architect Clara da Cruz Almeida to design a 183-square-foot prefab house—for two people to share. "You can learn to live without excess things," she says.

Her Life Pod, manufactured in Johannesburg, arrives on site in a flatpack, ready to be assembled. Designers Dokter and Misses created clever interior spaces—with a micro-kitchen, folding furniture, and an enviable amount of storage—to make the tiny house feel like a serene sanctuary for two. Here's how:

Read more: http://www.gardenista.com/posts/tiny...83-square-feet

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 8:43 PM

Damn, these little places look nice.

I'm tempted, but I do like to have people over on occasion.

Here are a couple Little places I remember from Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 5:02 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

1.8m wide house in Toshima, Japan, designed to be "a house with playfulness where people and cats live happily."

http://architizer.com/projects/18-m-width-house/

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 5:44 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I hope to stick to small living spaces myself. Don't want all that open space you end up feeling a need to fill with stuff that most modern houses have.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 5:46 PM

Many of these stand alone pre-fab homes look really neat but they are generally shown in a temperate, pristine environment. It's assumed that the immediate outdoors becomes part of your living space. But I wouldn't want to be in there in the winter - 2 feet and snow and sub-freezing temps, etc. Talk about cabin fever!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 5:08 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Prefabricated tiny homes by Cocoon9 designed to meet demand for "efficiency and luxury"

9 March 2016

Cocoon9, an American designer and manufacturer of prefabricated dwellings, has created a collection of micro homes, with the smallest one starting at 15 square metres (+ slideshow).

New York-based Cocoon9 described the dwellings as "plug-and-play houses with the sophisticated features of a custom home or luxe resort".

Three floor plans are available: the Cocoon Cabin, which has one bedroom, and the Cocoon Studio and Cocoon Lite 20, which both feature open layouts.

Read more: http://www.dezeen.com/2016/03/09/coc...ecture-houses/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture