HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 12:58 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 1:20 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Love the vertical fenestration on the south side of the building. This one's a gem!

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

She's elegant and slender IMHO. Meanwhile the Metropolitan tower on the right there is as tall as Denver's tallest. Sigh.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 8:31 PM

is the sigh for denver or nyc?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King DenCity View Post
is the sigh for denver or nyc?
Denver, of course

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 11:48 PM

^Denver will get it's time soon. But for now let's revel in the glory of NYC's great towers!!!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King DenCity View Post
^Denver will get it's time soon. But for now let's revel in the glory of NYC's great towers!!!

Oh, trust. I revel! and I get to revel in person in a month

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 4:20 PM
New Yorker for life

I agree with that headline 100%. There is a very small vocal minority concerned about towers rising below the park, but they will be forgotten in time.
These towers will have the same effect the original WTC towers had on the lower Manhattan skyline - once they are there, we can't imagine the skyline without them.
That's already the case with One57.

(February 16, 2014)

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 5:15 PM

Nice pics! As I was going through your pics I was hoping you took some pics of the progress of the canopies on 57th street side; been wondering how it's going along

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 5:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Been keeping tabs on this in the Nordstrom thread...I'm sure it will be full of great NIMBYisms...

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2014...r-central-park

Open Forum Welcomes Debate on Skyscrapers Rising Near Central Park

By Mathew Katz
February 18, 2014

Quote:
A public forum on the gigantic new buildings springing up near Central Park sold out so quickly, the venue has been relocated to a theater that can fit more than 500.

Community Board 5's Wednesday night Town Hall on Central Park Supertowers — which had been scheduled to take place at the 143-seat Museum of Arts and Design Theater — will now take place at the Celeste Bartos Forum at the New York Public Library, officials said.

Nearly 500 people are expected to attend the discussion, which will bring together developers, architects, politicians and urban planners to discuss the looming skyscrapers and their impact on the neighborhood.

Among the hot-button issues expected to be discussed are fears about shadows being cast over the park, the need for new infrastructure to serve the towers and the potential implications for landmarked buildings in the area, organizers said.

The new towers include Extell's Development's One57, a 75-story skyscraper on West 57th Street where a duplex penthouse apartment sold for over $90 million in 2012. The tower — which already casts a large shadow on Central Park — became famous after crane working on it collapsed during Hurricane Sandy.

Several other massive skyscrapers are in the process of being built in the area, including 432 Park Ave., which at 1,398 feet will become the third-tallest tower in the country.

Extell's president, Gary Barnett, will participate in the panel, along with New York Landmarks Conservancy president Peg Breen, architect and urban planner Michael Kwartler, landscape architect Judith Heintz, Municipal Art Society executive directory Margaret Newman and former New York Times columnist Warren St. John. Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer will introduce the panelists.

The town hall will run for two hours, starting at 6 p.m. on Wednesday. Admission is free, but requires an RSVP on the Community Board 5 website.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Been keeping tabs on this in the Nordstrom thread...I'm sure it will be full of great NIMBYisms...

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2014...r-central-park

Open Forum Welcomes Debate on Skyscrapers Rising Near Central Park

By Mathew Katz
February 18, 2014
Oh yeah:

"Think about the children!"

"Those greedy 1%ers!"

"The trees won't grow because of the shadows!"

Those seem to be the three top nonsensical rantings by the NIMBY's - are there any others you can think of?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 7:06 PM
BANNED

It's out of context with the neighborhood

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 7:20 PM

The neighborhood is changing, in just a few years when its taller neighbors will be part of the skyline, it will fit in perfectly.
Besides I disagree that it doesn't fit in even in its current setting, I love how it dominates over CPS.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 9:14 PM

Overall I think it's a nice addition to the skyline, but definitely not in the same category as some of the really excellent towers going up around the city.

It looks good from the park and even better when viewed from the south (those vertical lines look great going up the curved forms of the facade), but the multi-shaded blue glass of the Eastern/Western sides really looks tacky. When the tower was first going up I found the glass pattern here to be somewhat unfortunate. Now that it's topped out and they've added that darker blue splotch at the very top, though, I find it completely atrocious.

Someone please tell me that this is not permanent and that there is still some sort of glass coating or something going over that. The speckled blue was bad enough as it was, but at the very least they could have kept it consistent. Now it just looks as though Barnett ran out of money/glass at the very top and had to improvise.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 10:05 PM

I would say, with some confidence, that the subways will not be overwhelmed by "penthouse" residents flocking to rush hour departures.---- Nor will water consumption in a 5,000 sq. foot, 2 occupant, 50% or more out of town, stress the supply.--- I think these towers are INcredibly "reverse density" per foot, and will be a gold mine of tax revenues in the future. (after the special, $$$$ paid up front, buy in, deals expire.) ----And the pencil thin shadows, will move fast enough that sunbathers will need to move with them to complain.--- Having a bunch of out of town clowns , 600+ feet overhead, paying mega taxes, and they will, is all good. --- Back to the construction thread, is there an estimate to when the elevators on the sides will start coming down ???

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Minimis NY View Post
Now that it's topped out and they've added that darker blue splotch at the very top, though, I find it completely atrocious.

Someone please tell me that this is not permanent and that there is still some sort of glass coating or something going over that. The speckled blue was bad enough as it was, but at the very least they could have kept it consistent. Now it just looks as though Barnett ran out of money/glass at the very top and had to improvise.
I am not fond of the cladding on each side of the tower but, paradoxically, it would look a bit dull without it. That being said, I strongly agree with you that those dark blue panels at the top look cheap and out of place and that it ruins the tower, especially on its west side. If it is a permanent feature, it is a big mistake.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 12:03 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMIII View Post
I am not fond of the cladding on each side of the tower but, paradoxically, it would look a bit dull without it. That being said, I strongly agree with you that those dark blue panels at the top look cheap and out of place and that it ruins the tower, especially on its west side. If it is a permanent feature, it is a big mistake.

I like the pin striped façade of the south, but if they had continued that on either side of the building, it would have been too much. I don't mind the sides at all, I find them very distinctive. The only dull side of the tower would be the north, if not for the crown at the top.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 12:30 AM

Quote:
I like the pin striped façade of the south, but if they had continued that on either side of the building, it would have been too much. I don't mind the sides at all, I find them very distinctive. The only dull side of the tower would be the north, if not for the crown at the top.
By "each side" I meant the east and west facade. I don't particularly like the pattern but strangely, I can not imagine the tower without it. Like you said, the pin striped facade is great and yes, it would have been a mistake to replicate it on either side. Regarding the north facade it may seem a bit monotonous but I see it as a welcome form of shyness (or respect) to the harmony of the park.

But those dark blue panels... I just don't get it how could they make such a mistake on such a beautiful tower. If it's permanent, it's inexcusable.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMIII View Post
But those dark blue panels... I just don't get it how could they make such a mistake on such a beautiful tower. If it's permanent, it's inexcusable.
I couldn't agree more. It actually looks like they changed the supplier, but they could not replicate the same colour.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 3:31 PM

Video Link

There's a brief shot of the model illuminated that looks intriguing. Some bold lighting strips. Perhaps showing the floors that the potential buyer is experiencing in the model?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive