HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 12:54 PM
I am the law!

Not shocked that Vancouver isn't on this silly list. It's hardly a major centre in the eyes of the Economist. Calgary probably would be the likeliest candidate if a 3rd city from Canada was to be taken as part of their "study".

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 2:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I was actually surprised that Montreal is (still) considered a major world city! This must be a shock to many Canadians!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans Canada View Post
^ then why did Vancouver place #3 in The Economist's rankings in August?

Did you not read the article? Vancouver was bumped off and out of the running due to it's high cost of living.

I'm surprised that this list has really only upset one forumer. It's nice that the rest seem to get it. It's not a list against other Canadian cities, it's just a list ranking more global cities.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
There is no ''best city in the world'' . it's like asking, why do you prefer the color blue. Everyone has their own opinion.

.when you take the 50 most important cities in the world, of course you can make a list. There is another reason why Vancouver is not on this very list.

At least some people get it

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 3:57 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Edmonton is not on the list.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Did you not read the article? Vancouver was bumped off and out of the running due to it's high cost of living.

I'm surprised that this list has really only upset one forumer. It's nice that the rest seem to get it. It's not a list against other Canadian cities, it's just a list ranking more global cities.
The only cities in the world more expensive than Vancouver are on this list so cost of living does not factor in.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans Canada View Post
First off, Huffington Post is garbage.

First off it's a list that The Economist did the list, the Huffington Post like other major news outlets only reported it.

The Econmist is based out of NYC and London.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
The only cities in the world more expensive than Vancouver are on this list so cost of living does not factor in.

The larger cities such as Tokyo, London, NYC all offer more options for living albeit tiny compared to our standards. They also have much higher wages. Vancouver has relatively low wages.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Vancouver, which has ranked highly in many city studies over the past few years, including global reputation, did not appear on the EIU's list. Scandinavian cities, which generally take the top spots on lists, are also missing, apparently thanks to their high cost of living.
if a city is not a major global city, the high cost of living will be a disadvantage. Everybody knows that living in NY-London involves a high cost of living, therefore, it's not a disadvantage, it's the normal.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 4:18 PM

Quote:
The larger cities such as Tokyo, London, NYC all offer more options for living albeit tiny compared to our standards. They also have much higher wages. Vancouver has relatively low wages.
Clear as mud haha. Cities smaller or more expensive than Van are on here. May they didn't want Canada to dominate? Or maybe Vancouver isn't quite "major" enough internationally yet?? Montreal must have just squeaked in there. Or it's higher prominence than Toronto is still remembered?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 4:22 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

There's an article in today's Telegram about The Ship, a local pub that's nominated for Best Venue at the ECMAs. It begins: There's only one Ship, and every city has one.

Love that tone of celebration. It's barely homerism.

I can't figure out the animosity in this thread. An international group ranked Canada's big two on top of an impressive list. Great news. It's something we can all take as a compliment as many of the factors - especially safety - are shared across the federation.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Clear as mud haha. Cities smaller or more expensive than Van are on here. May they didn't want Canada to dominate? Or maybe Vancouver isn't quite "major" enough internationally yet?? Montreal must have just squeaked in there. Or it's higher prominence than Toronto is still remembered?
It's much easier to find affordable accommodations in the cities I listed.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The Index focuses on 50 cities (see box over the page for the full list and regional breakdown) selected by The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), based on factors such as regional representation and availability of data.
appendix 4

Quote:
The Safe Cities Index measures the relative level of safety of a diverse mix of the world’s leading cities using four main categories of safety: digital security, health security, infrastructure safety and personal safety.
Quote:
Every city in the Index is scored across these four categories. Each category comprises between three and eight sub-indicators, which are divided
between security inputs, such as policy measures and level of spending, and outputs, such as the frequency of vehicular accidents.
Quote:
Data sources
A team of in-house researchers collected data for the Index from July to September 2014. In addition to data from The Economist Intelligence Unit, which has produced a number of similar indexes that measure cities on their
competitiveness, liveability and other issues, publicly available information from official sources has been used where applicable. Primary sources include the World Health Organisation, Kaspersky Lab and various others (see table
below).
page 37
http://safecities.economist.com/wp-c...te_paper-1.pdf

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 4:37 PM
Editor

I don't know what all the fuss is about. The study doesn't cover all Canadian cities, so it's really Toronto and Montreal compared to other large urban centres around the globe, and they compare very well. Most of us here from other cities in Canada think that our hometown is better than Toronto and Montreal it can only mean that our city would rank even higher than those other world cities

And seeing as Toronto edged out Montreal, as the best in Canada in that study.... and Windsor edged out Toronto ion another study that makes Windsor the best place to live.

Why Artists (and You) Are Better Off Living in Windsor Than Toronto
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/bruce-m...b_6479952.html

Last edited by Surrealplaces; Jan 30, 2015 at 6:17 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 4:51 PM
I am the law!

Texas totally got shafted!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 5:00 PM

Well, at least they picked Canadian cities for this international "study." Within Canada though?

Nooooo.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 5:05 PM
I am the law!

The political and commercial might of Vancouver is something to behold on a global scale. This is a list created by fools.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 5:32 PM

Quote:
It's much easier to find affordable accommodations in the cities I listed.

Haha I don't think it's that easy to find a cheap place to live in New York London or Hong Kong. And you can find an affordable apartment in downtown vancouvers west end. It must be a global cities list with a few less important ones thrown in. And props to our cities that did make the cut.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
I don't know what all the fuss is about. The study doesn't cover all Canadian cities, so it's really Toronto and Montreal compared to other large urban centres around the globe, and they compare very well. Most of us here from other cities in Canada think that our hometown is better than Toronto and Montreal it can only mean that our city would rank even higher than those other world cities

And seeing as Toronto edged out Montreal, as the best in Canada....that make Windsor the best place to live.

Why Artists (and You) Are Better Off Living in Windsor Than Toronto
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/bruce-m...b_6479952.html
The thing is though I think people forget just how large Toronto and Montreal are sometimes. People lose perspective on that. Now you're from Calgary, perhaps Calgary would have out ranked them but what does it matter? It's tiny in comparison. And why stop there? Why not include every single village and hamlet in Canada. If Red Deer out ranks Calgary in something I'm sure you would have a little chuckle because of how small it is in comparison, no?

I guess my ultimate point is perhaps other cities with Canada would top Tor & Mtl but ultimately they are in a different class so who cares?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Haha I don't think it's that easy to find a cheap place to live in New York London or Hong Kong.
All one bedrooms. Also I said Tokyo not Hong Kong, Tokyo is masive with many options.

NYC (And these are in good areas)
http://www.new-york-apartment.com/en...ntals/listing/

London (plenty of options)
http://london.craigslist.co.uk/search/apa

Tokyo (1 bdrs central all between $1600-$2100 CDN)
http://www.tokyoapartments.jp/search-area-result/

Now Vancouver on viewit.ca
1 bdr $1600 -$2000 a month. One listing
http://viewit.ca/vwListings.aspx?cs=1&city=Vancouver

Toronto same criteria has 20 and just in one small section of then city.

Hahahaha back at you.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada