HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 6:19 PM

By 2100, 80% of Ontario's population will be concentrated in the Golden Horseshoe and K-W, with another 10% in Ottawa. Most of the rest of Ontario will be experiencing decreasing population as existing residents pass away, birth rates reach record lows, and immigration almost entirely bypasses Ontario outside the Golden Horseshoe. Immigration, including from other provinces will fuel 95% of Ontario's growth. After a failed bid to separate from the rest of Ontario, Northern Ontario sees the strongest population decline, with most towns outside of Sudbury and Thunder Bay being mostly vacated. The lumber industry will still exist, but will be entirely automated.

Quebec will have been split three ways: part into an independent republic not recognized by Canada and the United States but recognized by some other G20 nations, the northern section as a Canadian territory claimed by the Quebec Republic, and the rest, including Montreal remaining as the Province of Quebec but claimed by the Quebec Republic. No war would exist, but the dispute would be economically ugly.

Yellowknife will be a significant Canadian city, commanding a population of 150,000. With global warming making the Northwest Territories less cold, there will be an agricultural industry.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
The first 30 years yes, after 2040 I was throwing darts.

I don't see western society lasting much past the end of peak oil around 2060.

And I'm not too supportive of capitalism as practiced currently. I don't see this country turning back now. Income inequality is bad and this country becomes more unequal by the day.
Do you have any examples of countries that 'do it better' in general than Canada? It's really not that bad here.

I'm actually perplexed why Canada has not done far better than it has. It has everything going for it - a huge country with vast resources, massive untapped potential and not many historical/political headaches.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Do you have any examples of countries that 'do it better' in general than Canada? It's really not that bad here.

I'm actually perplexed why Canada has not done far better than it has. It has everything going for it - a huge country with vast resources, massive untapped potential and not many historical/political headaches.
I'd rather not get too much into it since this isn't a place for politics. But as someone from BC who has travelled to Calgary many times, I can excuse your reasoning for thinking the way you do.

Poverty in this country is on the rise and we are in more debt then almost every other country in the g20.

I'll name some countries that do a better job, feel free to dispute it if you feel the need to.

Norway, Australia, Germany, New Zealand (this one is iffy), the Netherlands, Denmark, Switzerland.
these are merely a few countries which perform admirably on income equality, social welfare, high ish paying jobs.

Canadian Medicare for example is the 2nd worst in the developed world after the U.S. and our social welfare state isn't much better then the U.S. Go to the unemployment and disabled and tell them they should be grateful for the pittance the government gives them.

Not many provinces have an equivalent to aish.

Lastly looking At the current federal government and right wing shift in this country over the last 10 years, how many more taxes do you think can be cut before our social programs and healthcare system deteriorates?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 7:27 PM

I'm not going to guess specific dates here, but I imagine the following predictions have a fairly good chance of happening:

-The rise of Africa begins reshaping the country. Mirroring the rise of Asia, the increase in trade and shipping leads to the growth in size and importance of Eastern/Central Canadian ports. Meanwhile, the expanding African middle class creates millions of eligible immigrants, some of whom, inevitably, leave their homelands in search of better education and business opportunities in countries like Canada (as the rising Chinese and South Asian middle classes before them). Montreal sees a growing influx of migrants from Francophone Africa, while Toronto continues to attract immigrants from the Commonwealth (and even Lusophone) countries there. This process - at least in terms of migration - seems to have already begun, and it will continue to reshape the multicultural landscape of our larger cities. There may be some cultural tension as, for example, Evangelical Christianity flourishes in some of these communities, &c.

-The Aboriginal population continues to grow at a relatively fast rate leading, in some cases, to wider potential for conflict over land claims and treaty rights. Bolstered by court rulings and a growing slice of the electoral pie, Aboriginal issues continue to become more prominent in the political discourse. In the short term, a public inquiry into murdered and missing Aboriginal women is established. Longer term, the Indian Act is repealed and the federal government - after fighting it tooth and nail - recognizes some form of Indigenous sovereignty.

-Technological change renders traditional television increasingly obsolete and the CBC's over-the-air TV programming is shut down.

-Successive federal governments continue to kick the can on constitutional reform. The senate, the monarchy, and the constitutional status of Quebec, municipalities, &c., remain largely as they are until some constitutional issue reaches a breaking point (I'd bet on Aboriginal, and not Quebec, issues cracking the constitution open).

-Artificial intelligence transforms the economy. After a prolonged period of growing inequality and unemployment leading to social unrest, a new social contract is negotiated. A citizens' wage is eventually established leading to increased economic security for the population. Leisure occupies more of our time (not necessarily unproductive leisure either, as we begin to use our increased free time to pursue the various creative pursuits we've all had on the back burner all these years).

-We somehow (I hope!) solve the global warming issue. Perhaps quantum computers or some other technological advance helps us. Wishful thinking.

-In that vein, HIV/AIDS is finally cured amongst several other medical advances. Technological advancement, yet again, helps us here in the healthcare field - people with disabilities begin to have their conditions cured or, at least, have the harsher and more debilitating symptoms mitigated.

-Marijuana, prostitution and physician-assisted dying are all, in the relative short term, legalized. Pressure begins to mount for the legal recognition of polyamorous relationships, meeting staunch resistance.

-The rights of trans people are further enshrined in law. Transphobia becomes increasingly socially unacceptable.

-Advances in the study of language acquisition reshape second language learning. More Anglophones become increasingly competent in the French language and Francophones in English. Despite increased communication across linguistic lines, tensions surrounding language issues continue. This may even cause some unintended and unexpected consequences - the clash of values between Quebec and the RoC may contrast in starker relief once the linguistic barrier recedes, for example.

-Preferably sooner than later, a woman becomes Prime Minister - the first to win an election at the federal level. At some point - maybe when we elect a visible minority or Aboriginal person - we have a brief Obama-esque feel-good moment.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 8:53 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Where is RoboCop when you need him?
Android security personnel were attempted in the 2040s but deemed unsatisfactory in determining who was poor enough to receive a savage beating without any consequences.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 9:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post

-French language and culture diminishes as Quebec is unable to find like-minded replacements for its aging population. As.
I don't see any shortage at all of French-friendly newcomers in the global migration marketplace at any point in the future. It's in fact the exact opposite that is likely to happen. We're going to be flooded.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 9:05 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

2112 - A virtual holographic version of the band Rush plays their 1976 album 2112 in its entirety, in downtown Toronto, to an estimated audience of 3.7 million. Most of them watch the concert from their homes far above in the skyscrapers, several of which are over 1000 metres in height.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 9:15 PM

Quote:
I don't see any shortage at all of French-friendly newcomers in the global migration marketplace at any point in the future. It's in fact the exact opposite that is likely to happen. We're going to be flooded.
Agreed. Interestingly, two posters in this very thread have already made the observation about the demographic rise of Africa and global Francosphere:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
It's next to impossible to predict the future. I find that when it comes to predictions, the only solid thing we can count on are demographics, since power is usually relative to a group's population, and it's relatively easy to predict population growth. Even in the circumstances when it's not, like, say, under apartheid South Africa, it was inevitable that the chickens would come home to roost.

So, based completely on demography and the way the world is going I predict:

1. The world - and Canada, too - will be significantly more African. Africa will have 1/4 of the world's population in 2050. Canadian cities will feel noticeably more African than they do today, and African food and culture will not be something unusual.

2. French will gain in importance, as will France, and Quebec's ties to this Francophonie will be a major asset for Canada.

France has the highest fertility rate among major developed countries, equal to that of countries like Turkey, Colombia, and not far below countries that we think are population bombs like Saudi Arabia. By 2050 it will have overtaken Germany to become the most populous country in the EU. Then there's the fact that the fastest growing countries in the world - Niger, Mali, Burundi - are French African.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wg_flamip View Post
I'm not going to guess specific dates here, but I imagine the following predictions have a fairly good chance of happening:

-The rise of Africa begins reshaping the country. Mirroring the rise of Asia, the increase in trade and shipping leads to the growth in size and importance of Eastern/Central Canadian ports. Meanwhile, the expanding African middle class creates millions of eligible immigrants, some of whom, inevitably, leave their homelands in search of better education and business opportunities in countries like Canada (as the rising Chinese and South Asian middle classes before them). Montreal sees a growing influx of migrants from Francophone Africa, while Toronto continues to attract immigrants from the Commonwealth (and even Lusophone) countries there. This process - at least in terms of migration - seems to have already begun, and it will continue to reshape the multicultural landscape of our larger cities. There may be some cultural tension as, for example, Evangelical Christianity flourishes in some of these communities, &c.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 9:16 PM

I become Prime Minister of Canada, 2024.

2028: Constitution change to allow me to be the Supreme leader of Canada for the rest of my life

2029: Canadian sponsored coup d'etat in Southern United State. USA quickly disintegrates into fragmented states, the South becoming neo-fascism Christian areas.

2031: Canada annex the North East US, and the West Coast. Canada becomes an empire, I become the King of Canada - Asoka the Great!

2031: Mexico belongs a colony of Canada.

2032: Texas, Florida becomes part of Canada. The rest of the US becomes a colony.

2032: Canada forms alliance with China. Takes over Japan, South Korea. Starts of 6 years war with India.

I am too tired to go on, but I basically, I take over the world by 2042.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 9:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok View Post
I become Prime Minister of Canada, 2024.

2028: Constitution change to allow me to be the Supreme leader of Canada for the rest of my life

2029: Canadian sponsored coup d'etat in Southern United State. USA quickly disintegrates into fragmented states, the South becoming neo-fascism Christian areas.

2031: Canada annex the North East US, and the West Coast. Canada becomes an empire, I become the King of Canada - Asoka the Great!

2031: Mexico belongs a colony of Canada.

2032: Texas, Florida becomes part of Canada. The rest of the US becomes a colony.

2032: Canada forms alliance with China. Takes over Japan, South Korea. Starts of 6 years war with India.

I am too tired to go on, but I basically, I take over the world by 2042.
Watch out for that assassination attempt in 2043 though.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Watch out for that assassination attempt in 2043 though.
Yes, but it would be my unfortunate double that would be killed.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 9:27 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Agreed. Interestingly, two posters in this very thread have already made the observation about the demographic rise of Africa and global Francosphere:
That's assuming there is still an appetite to allow immigration based solely on language spoken. You might find that French is not as important to the new Quebecois majority, despite speaking it, much like we are already seeing a change in values in Vancouver.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 9:28 PM

2028: I, supreme leader of Canada, for the people of Canada, put forward the Energy Program, integration of Solar Energy into every single building. 100% of all Canadian buildings are energy plus buildings.

2028: I, supreme leader of Canada, for the people of Canada, put forward the Sustainable Food Program, localized food production all year long, for every family - supported by excess solar energy production. Food grown 100x more efficient than the most efficient method known.

But first, 2015 January 23rd, I need to sleep and get more energy - taking over the world can only be done in small steps, and it all starts off with a good night sleep.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 9:33 PM

2029, April 15, Leading Global Artist performs song that praises Supreme Leader. 1.2 million in attendance, 7.8 billion youtube live streaming view. The photo below just shows the inside of 50 000 guest, but the outside had the rest of the 1.2 million viewers.

646484 people hospitalized because they were overwhelmed with emotions for great surpreme leader.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 12:12 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok View Post
But first, 2015 January 23rd, I need to sleep and get more energy - taking over the world can only be done in small steps, and it all starts off with a good night sleep.
Well played set of posts... create the future history you envision.

You should start crowd-funding now, before you get into politics and have to deal with donation limits.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
That's assuming there is still an appetite to allow immigration based solely on language spoken. You might find that French is not as important to the new Quebecois majority, despite speaking it, much like we are already seeing a change in values in Vancouver.
It's a little different when you live in a place where the main language is the lingua franca and has been for some time. Other people coming in, speaking other languages are, for better or worse, not considered a threat to the same degree as they are in places where other languages are predominant. It's the security blanket of cultural dominance.

That isn't to say a large Mandarin-speaking populace isn't a threat to an English-speaking Lower Mainland, but the perception due to the global dominance of American and British culture reinforcing English's importance is that it isn't. In Quebec, non-Francophones are more of a threat to a place already surrounded by Anglophones.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 12:38 AM
Calgary Martindale

I haven't read all posts so forgive if this a repeat.

Artificial intelligence decides that we're a burden and turns all taps off. Only the self sufficient survive.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 12:50 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Okay, a few with dates.

2018: Southlands is invaded by the Mount Pearl Liberation Army, comprised of geriatric conscripts recruited from bingo halls in the valley.

2021: In the Treaty of Siobhan Coady, St. John's cedes vast amounts of territory to the Mount Pearl rebels, including Goulds, Southlands, Galway, and Bristolwood. What's left of Kenmount Terrace becomes a League of Nations Free City, administered directly by Brussels. But the long arm of the law is distant as most European government officials spend their time circling the Free City looking for somewhere to park.

2048: Conception Bay South and Paradise are forcibly amalgamated by the Republic of Newfoundland's government in exile in Memramcook, New Brunswick. Refugees begin flooding into school gymnasiums throughout Portugal Cove-St. Phillip's. Some end up in the mines of Belle Isle, evolving into crab people.

2051: Princess Sheilagh NaGiera III of Bay Bulls nullifies the La Manche Treaty that was credited with securing peace between both sides of the Southern Shore on opposite ends of the La Manche Valley. Her forces - mostly confused tourists led to the front lines by O'Brien's Boat Tours - unknowingly surrender when they accept an offer of tea, me duckie, from Captain Renews and his Merchant Marine based in Trepassey. NaGiera III is hung in the same harbour the first Princess NaGiera of Ireland sought refuge from the British in the 1600s.

2086: The Commission of Government in London approves a new electoral map that combines St. John's, Mount Pearl, Paradise-Conception Bay South, and Torbay in a single electoral district represented by just one Milky Way Parliament MP. With reinforcement CFAs from the Free City of Harbour Grace, St. John's successfully conquers Torbay while Mount Pearl establishes mutual defense treaties with Paradise-Conception Bay South and the surrounding hinterland outports. A cold war ensures, which all involved describe as the worst since the 1980s-2000s.

2087: The Milky Way Mail, based in Etobicoke, the capital of the Canadian Republic, publishes an editorial that implies the Free Cities and Kingdoms in the Republic of Newfoundland, like the Republic itself, only recently discovered the cosmopolitan charms of Schwinkle, made from coffee-like beans indigenous to the planet Oyvelk. The condescending tone unites all territories on the island.

2088: Everyone lives happily ever after.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
SSP 2115: The debate over the ascendant West and declining East will continue unabated, as the argument is carried out over 4 successive generations of woot-wooters. Much to several serial posters' chagrin, Montreal will firmly retain its ranking as Canada's second largest city (and 2nd best skyline ). Lest Montrealers rejoice, the 2115 edition of the Parti Quebecois will be convening a Province-wide commission to delineate the winning conditions for another referendum on sovereignty. Astronauts will receive training in Northern Alberta for a manned mission to Io. Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton will still be vying for 4th city status in Canada. Pundits will be predicting a major real estate crash in Vancouver, which has long been majority ethnic Chinese. Meanwhile the photographs of the latter city's skyline and mountain backdrop will continue to amaze and provoke envy.
This is pretty good.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 1:54 AM

2016: Justin Bieber found dead of drug overdose

2025: First 1000ft skyscraper completed in Toronto

2088: Vancouver and Montreal lift their height limits

2089: Leafs win Stanley Cup

2580: Thanks to global warming, Yellowknife becomes financial capital of Canada.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada