HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 7:44 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post

Funny how a building that once housed a church is now a strip club
And here we (all) thought that that kind of stuff only happened in Quebec!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Funny how a building that once housed a church is now a strip club
And a school for... Catholic schoolgirls.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 10:15 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Acajack - funny you mention that. Most of the strippers are from Quebec.

From a convo with GlassCity in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
God I love that Scotiabank building in St. John's. Great photos! Had a good laugh at the strip club. When I was there in the summer, it seemed there was a strip club on every block downtown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
There probably was, then (female strip clubs are not my area of expertise in this city, as you can imagine). But I do know the Crazy Horse has closed, though, so there's none on the east end of Water Street (up toward Signal Hill) any more.

The strippers are almost all from Montreal. The clubs own a rowhouse or two here and there where the girls are shacked like a school dorm while they're on rotation here. Always lots of scantily-clad women outside and fights and police. And it's always just one random house in an otherwise completely normal neighbourhood.

It's one of those things you grow up seeing but not understanding. Like men wearing women's clothing and just standing on Long's Hill.

You see it as a child and it's just... why? Then you grow up and it's... OMG...

Sirens even has naked Screech Ins performed by the aforementioned Montreal strippers. So if you want a naked woman with a French accent to make you kiss a raw codfish while trying to get you to repeat lines she can't even pronounce herself, you know where to go.

RE: Scotiabank. Yeah, we lucked out with our 1980s towers. Scotia Bank and the Cabot Place Complex (the pink and blue "twin" "towers") are aging pretty well. Much better than our 1970s buildings.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 4:30 AM
ARTchitecture

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 8:48 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Storm Coffee Porter and a proper silver thaw. Everything is covered in ice.

Old St. John's by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

Old factory becoming Hamilton & Brine Condos.

Hamilton and Brine Condos by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jan 31, 2015 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 5:01 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Today, while the silver thaw is still on the trees, I went somewhere that I don't recall having properly photographed from ever before - the grounds of the Confederation Building. It's at the peak of the second hill of St. John's so you'll see the backside of the downtown core.

Basically, the red lines are my sight lines and they converge at the point I was standing.

The blue line is the horizon of the first hill of St. John's. Keep in mind the Southside Hills opposite the city are much higher so you'll still see hill above this horizon line. But everything you usually see from me is over that hill, between the horizon and the hillside in the distance.

Video Link

St. John's from Confederation Grounds by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

Elizabeth Towers.

Holy Heart and Brother Rice are the two big high schools to the upper left. They will soon be our last two downtown high schools as Booth and Bishop are being closed and combined with the new Waterford Valley High School in the west end.

This is one of the few areas where the Southside Hills have residential areas on them. They're Shea Heights to the left and, pictured, Kilbride.

The building in the foreground is St. Patrick's Mercy Home.

Belvedere's Convent and Orphanage grounds.

The backside of Rabbittown, my neighbourhood.

The backside of Georgestown, the wealthier neighbourhood directly adjacent to mine.

The backside of everyone's favourite building.

Memorial University's clocktower.

Rawlin's Cross.

The Colonial Building, our former Parliament, and Bannerman Park.

The little skyline in the Downtown East End, at the opposite side of the downtown from our little cluster of towers.

Department of Fisheries, and the last remaining Canadian-owned piece of Pleasantville, formerly the U.S. base Fort Pepperell. The rest has been sold back to the city and renovated beautifully into apartment buildings, etc.

Department of Natural Resources (foreground), Royal Canadian Mounted Police headquarters (background). They only police rural Newfoundland (the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary does St. John's, Corner Brook, and Labrador West; part of our Terms of Union - BUT the RCMP does investigate when the RNC discharges a weapon, like the recent case that wrapped up where an officer fired his gun at Memorial University), but their HQ is still in St. John's.

Tiffany Park, looking toward Robin Hood Bay.

The east side of Memorial University.

Memorial University (foreground) and Kenmount Road (background).

Holy Heart High School and parts of Georgestown. Our denominational (Catholic/General Protestant) school system was abolished in the 1990s, but most schools are still largely one or the other and have their Christian names. Holy Heart used to be an all-girls school and the students from countless smaller schools throughout the Old East End went there - including Mary Walsh, and me mudder. I love her stories about it. She said all the schools feeding into Holy Heart were much smaller, so going there was a huge shock, like going to university. She loved it.

Now looking the other way, toward the west. The new YMCA.

Admiral's Green Golf Course (not as fancy as nearby Bally Hally)

Looking back toward the Outer Ring Road, our ring road, which is the one between the cheap rowhouses and the suburbs beyond.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jan 31, 2015 at 5:22 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 5:31 PM

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
Beautiful pictures. It is one on taken from the top of Mont St-Anne?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 12:53 AM

Here are a few pics from tonight. (If Shanghai passes as OK for this thread, I suppose pics from the same continent can too as long as the camera is operated by a Canadian...)

It's the only true little downtown for the area I'm in (nearly walking distance from my house -- as long as you enjoy walking). By the water but on the mainland. Some of those buildings even pre-date the road, which was opened in 1915.

Just before sunset, on a winter evening. All pics taken in the exact same area, one or two blocks from each other. I personally like to encourage little independent cafés and restaurants so I try to go there when I can.

Forgive the poor quality of the pics, my camera is cheap and old...

This park is right next to the downtown, between the downtown and river. I happen to love beach volley (and have a group of buddies for that in summer in Sherbrooke), if I ever see people playing I'll ask to join.

This thing is right next to downtown too, by the river. It's the tallest building in the immediate area. I find it decent architecturally -- could be worse.

In my hometown of Sherbrooke I've always been vocal against the downtown parking costs, since the big malls offer free parking. This I think is a good idea, free parking and free restrooms right outside the little downtown core. There seems to be an awareness that it's important to try to attract potential mall-goers, not turn them off with parcometers in order to make a few extra bucks off them. It's pretty unappealing to have to first pay to leave the car somewhere when you want to go shopping, and then you have to pay attention to the time. You don't have that problem in malls, or here.

As a car guy I'm always fascinated by those pieces of 1960s iron that seem to still serve as people's daily drivers. (1970s and 1980s, you see those even more frequently.)

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 1:09 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
In my hometown of Sherbrooke I've always been vocal against the downtown parking costs, since the big malls offer free parking. This I think is a good idea, free parking and free restrooms right outside the little downtown core. There seems to be an awareness that it's important to try to attract potential mall-goers, not turn them off with parcometers in order to make a few extra bucks off them. It's pretty unappealing to have to first pay to leave the car somewhere when you want to go shopping, and then you have to pay attention to the time. You don't have that problem in malls, or here.
[/IMG][/URL]
Not sure how I feel about that one. On one hand, yes I want to give downtown as much of an ability to compete as possible, but on the other hand, any (decent) downtown is going to have a lot less parking space relative to the number of stores and services and charging a small fee and limiting time frames helps manage a limited resource and give fair access to it. If it were totally free with no time limits the parking spaces are probably going to be always full and people complaining there isn't enough parking and avoiding downtown for that reason. And then the next step is the amount of parking being increased.

Besides, when you have shops and services in a denser, walkable urban environment, that's the perfect (and only, really) environment where you can encourage car-free activity like walking, biking, and public transit (if large enough). With shopping malls and big box stores surrounded by parking, this is just never going to happen unless the person has no other option.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
... but on the other hand, any (decent) downtown is going to have a lot less parking space relative to the number of stores and services and charging a small fee and limiting time frames helps manage a limited resource and give fair access to it.
Keep in mind the idea applies at the level of a place like Sherbrooke, where public transit sucks, all decent people have cars, and the huge malls are easily accessible -- in that kind of city, if it's too complicated to park near the nice couple of downtown streets lined with commercial Victorian buildings, shoppers will just head to the malls for a way more user-friendly overall experience.

A big city doesn't have those issues. I recall my last time in Manhattan, parking was insanely expensive (we concluded we really should've left the vehicle sitting in a New Jersey Walmart lot for the entire duration of our 3-day stay and use public transit all the time), and there weren't really any suburban-style malls nearby enough to be a threatening competitor to the street retail offerings.

Besides, parking can easily be nearly unlimited. All you need is a few multi-story parkades outside the downtown heritage area, ideally not too offensive to the eye (I have myself photographed a few nice examples of those in the past), and you're set.

Quote:
Besides, when you have shops and services in a denser, walkable urban environment, that's the perfect (and only, really) environment where you can encourage car-free activity like walking, biking, and public transit (if large enough). With shopping malls and big box stores surrounded by parking, this is just never going to happen unless the person has no other option.
Yeah, but many places are starting from SO far away that they have to crawl before they can consider walking.

In a place like Sherbrooke the downtown district could be much more than what it is, but it could also be much less... if we declared war to the automobile downtown, we'd actually hurt the core, not help it.

We need to make it auto-friendly in order to enable businesses to thrive there, that's the first step.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 2:42 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 3:20 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

in the sizling depths of the cold
the man walks
through the dark
on this cold dark nigh
from far to end
the frozen night settles in
as droping sound to crystals deep
the nights a frost so frozen deep
to kill so quik
to need to rush
to freez thy lung so hard so sharp
the crysp it be to leep so glee

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 6:36 AM
Ocean Breeze

Sunset in Garry Point Park
by Vlad_Kyr, on Flickr Uploaded on January 31, 2015

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 7:39 AM

KELOWNA- the heart of Okanagan

[IMG]DSC_6202 by Uzair Shahid97, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_6204 by Uzair Shahid97, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_6185 by Uzair Shahid97, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_6148 by Uzair Shahid97, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_6056 by Uzair Shahid97, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_6037 by Uzair Shahid97, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_6213 by Uzair Shahid97, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 1:15 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We had a little forum meet last night - just us and cool millions from Halifax. It was a blast, though.

ICE FOG! My first time experiencing it. Lots of freezing rain and drizzle on my resume but no proper ice fog. It's insane.

We went to Adelaide Oyster House:

And despite the streets being completely fucking deserted, all the restaurants were blocked. We couldn't get a table.

But the nice thing was when we got in, we were seated at one of the communal tables. They're for groups of 6 or fewer so they can meet and mingle.

St. John's is classier than I am. I had no idea these were covers for dress shoes. Totally thought they were just the ugliest fucking shoes ever, finished with electric tape.

Or maybe it's just as classy as I am...

In Newfoundland, the man who catches the garter at a wedding has to put it on the woman who caught the bouquet. Apparently there's an equivalent at proms now?

Cutest thing I've ever seen. I want a kid now just to put it in that.

New rooftop balcony under construction.

We tried to take a route with some stairs to get home because it was SO slippery.

It was brutal. We passed so many people who warned us to be careful, said their tailbones were shattered

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 3:50 PM

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 9:41 PM
Ocean Breeze

All Photos Taken January 25th or 30th, 2015

Vancouver 30/1
by SKevoX, on Flickr

Ted Harris
by Photocat62, on Flickr

GROC
by Photocat62, on Flickr

Blue Storefront
by Photocat62, on Flickr

Vancouver 30/1
by SKevoX, on Flickr

Vancouver 30/1
by SKevoX, on Flickr

Vancouver 30/1
by SKevoX, on Flickr

Vancouver 30/1
by SKevoX, on Flickr

Vancouver 30/1
by SKevoX, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 10:51 PM

/\ That's a great set of Vancouver. The first pic is pure urban heaven.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 11:10 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

chillin with a friend in the exchange

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada