HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
All one bedrooms. Also I said Tokyo not Hong Kong, Tokyo is masive with many options.

NYC (And these are in good areas)
http://www.new-york-apartment.com/en...ntals/listing/

London (plenty of options)
http://london.craigslist.co.uk/search/apa

Tokyo (1 bdrs central all between $1600-$2100 CDN)
http://www.tokyoapartments.jp/search-area-result/

Now Vancouver on viewit.ca
1 bdr $1600 -$2000 a month. One listing
http://viewit.ca/vwListings.aspx?cs=1&city=Vancouver

Toronto same criteria has 20 and just in one small section of then city.

Hahahaha back at you.
Haha I like a good game of tennis. I think you're comparing Vancouver proper (every suburb is more affordable except for West Van) with the entire metros of London and the others. I'd be surprised if Central London was more affordable. Of course being so much more massive than Vancouver there will be much more choice of everything.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Wheres Vancouver? If they use the excuse that cost of living is too high how the heck did Toronto make the top of the list?
toronto is still affordable in comparison to vancouver for most working people - higher wages and cheaper housing than vancouver

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 11:02 PM

Vancouver is pretty affordable if all you want to do is rent a 1 bedroom apartment.

If you want to buy, or rent something that's 2 bedrooms or more, Vancouver is outrageous.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 2:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
I don't know what all the fuss is about. The study doesn't cover all Canadian cities, so it's really Toronto and Montreal compared to other large urban centres around the globe, and they compare very well. Most of us here from other cities in Canada think that our hometown is better than Toronto and Montreal it can only mean that our city would rank even higher than those other world cities

And seeing as Toronto edged out Montreal, as the best in Canada in that study.... and Windsor edged out Toronto ion another study that makes Windsor the best place to live.

Why Artists (and You) Are Better Off Living in Windsor Than Toronto
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/bruce-m...b_6479952.html

Yeah I made a post along similar lines before, everyone kept assuming I was homesick, but there`s more to it.

Big cities are great if your the best, and they`ll cut you off at the knees if your not.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 2:10 AM

Ok I hate to sound like I'm attacking anyone, but what the hell is with the anti vancouver posts litering this thread.

It was started by the fluff post posting a fluff piece on quality of life which unsurprisingly derided vancouver.

Why are you feeding into this garbage?

This fight has nothing to do with vancouver, only toronto and montreal we're studied.

Secondly how stupid does huff post thing we are that this can be tie to the fact vancouver is TOO EXPENSIVE?

Vancouver is an excellent city and I'm getting sick and tired of people attacking my city, many times from people who live so far away that it's laughable they have an argument here.

Vancouver was NOT included in this study for reasons not quite explained, that does NOT mean it's a bad city or that cost of living is the reasoning. If cost of living had something to do with it then half these cities would also be disqualified.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 3:25 AM

I haven't seen anyone attack Vancouver really.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 3:33 AM

But are we at least allowed to say that Vancouver is too expensive? Or it's an attack to say so?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
Ok I hate to sound like I'm attacking anyone, but what the hell is with the anti vancouver posts litering this thread.

It was started by the fluff post posting a fluff piece on quality of life which unsurprisingly derided vancouver.

Why are you feeding into this garbage?

This fight has nothing to do with vancouver, only toronto and montreal we're studied.

Secondly how stupid does huff post thing we are that this can be tie to the fact vancouver is TOO EXPENSIVE?

Vancouver is an excellent city and I'm getting sick and tired of people attacking my city, many times from people who live so far away that it's laughable they have an argument here.

Vancouver was NOT included in this study for reasons not quite explained, that does NOT mean it's a bad city or that cost of living is the reasoning. If cost of living had something to do with it then half these cities would also be disqualified.

Vancouver is boasted plenty on this site. I don't see anyone attacking the city, just explaining that the city has a very high cost of living compared to other locales and that the city is quite literally a less important centre in the grand scheme of things. What would you do if you lived in Calgary (a city you've attacked plenty)?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
But are we at least allowed to say that Vancouver is too expensive? Or it's an attack to say so?
Haha yes you are allowed to say it cuz it is. And every city more expensive is on this list.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Vancouver is boasted plenty on this site. I don't see anyone attacking the city, just explaining that the city has a very high cost of living compared to other locales and that the city is quite literally a less important centre in the grand scheme of things. What would you do if you lived in Calgary (a city you've attacked plenty)?
When have I ever attacked Calgary in these forums?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 11:43 AM
gettin' rich!

I thought this was just some online/internet story. Then I saw it on the evening news..

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 12:17 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I've seen it everywhere too.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 1:35 PM

I think I finally get it. According what someone else has posted, the criteria judges 4 different kinds of safety. And in order to even be considered for the contest you either have to be a city in a larger category than Vancouver is in, or be of global importance like a national Capitol.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 2:24 PM

CapitAl.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post

Nobody here is attacking Vancouver and it's not a fluff piece by the Huffington, it's an annual report done by the economist.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 9:18 PM

I must say I am impressed with the list. I think Toronto is a very progressive city with a good quality of life. I also like Montreal. I have never liked Vancouver, even though I have tried to live there a couple of times. I do not understand how Vancouver shows up on so many other lists. I would certainly agree with the rest of the list as well.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 9:53 PM
The New Republic

Canada finishes 1-2 in a study by a respected publication of top cities around the world and people manage to complain to the point that we're on post #77? Perhaps everyone would be happier if we finished last.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 10:17 PM
I am the law!

People are still being sidetracked. Vancouver is neither a business capital or a political powerhouse. That's why it didn't make the cut.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 10:57 PM

Should I be complaining that Calgary wasn't considered in the study either? Or, can I just be glad that the two Canadian cities big enough for consideration in this study placed first and second?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 12:25 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Canada finishes 1-2 in a study by a respected publication of top cities around the world and people manage to complain to the point that we're on post #77? Perhaps everyone would be happier if we finished last.

The important part is just that our fellow Canadian cities don't finish ahead of our own.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada