HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 3:51 PM

You're lumping them together, but Toronto has been a LOT better than Montreal has. Toronto has been around par with what Calgary and Edmonton was, but with more expensive ticket prices.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 5:46 PM

The ticket prices are ridiculous in both cities, but it's definitely Montreal that has the problem with attendance... Toronto is doing decent attendance-wise despite the ticket prices. It just confirms what we already know - Southern Ontario is the biggest hockey market in the world.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 5:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
The ticket prices are ridiculous in both cities, but it's definitely Montreal that has the problem with attendance... Toronto is doing decent attendance-wise despite the ticket prices. It just confirms what we already know - Southern Ontario is the biggest hockey market in the world.
Or that the ability to cheer for a winning team in toronto is a hot commodity.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 6:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

WJC attendance is about where I thought it would be. In Montreal in particular. The tournament is something people pay attention to in Quebec at this time of year but it doesn't have a "mania"-type following like it does in some other parts of the country.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 9:51 PM

Welp, despite coming back from being down 5-0 Team Canada fell short and lost to Genève-Servette HC in the semi-final, eliminating them from the Spengler Cup.

Too bad. Though watching this tournament just cements my opinion that the NHL would be great on the big ice. Also that I want to see a game at Valliant Arena before I die.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
Welp, despite coming back from being down 5-0 Team Canada fell short and lost to Genève-Servette HC in the semi-final, eliminating them from the Spengler Cup.

Too bad. Though watching this tournament just cements my opinion that the NHL would be great on the big ice. Also that I want to see a game at Valliant Arena before I die.
I have to disagree with this. There is a lot less physical play on big ice and most leagues that play on big ice are known as defensive leagues. The amount of energy it takes to get around the big ice (and I know, I grew up on it, it's the only ice we have) is way more than on the small ice, and it can often become a war of attrition. Teams on big ice tend to play highly structured games and the "freewheeling" repuatation is just an optical illusion where guys are allowed to run around outside the circles while the defence just boxes you out and forces a 70ft shot.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 4:38 PM

Wow, a high school championship football game draws 46,289 in Texas. 46,000 for a high school game is just crazy. The game the next night between Allen Texas (home of the $60million high school football stadium) and Cypress drew 52,308. That is just hard to imagine.

ARLINGTON - Making history isn't easy.

As good as the Katy Tigers are, the most dominant football program in the Houston area isn't an exception to the rule. Katy found out again in dramatic fashion Saturday night.

The Tigers' chase for an eighth state championship ended when Brooks Ralph's 25-yard field goal sailed through the uprights with two seconds left, enabling Cedar Hill to erase a double-digit deficit and emerge with the crown for the second consecutive season.

Ralph converted a pair of fourth-quarter field goals - the first tied the score and the second gave the Longhorns a 23-20 victory in front of 46,289 fans at the Class 6A Division II championship game in AT&T Stadium.

Celina and Southlake Carroll share the record for most state titles, but each had to overcome setbacks before recording that elusive eighth. Celina won its last championship after losing the year before. After Southlake Carroll won its seventh title, it went five years before getting the eighth.

Katy won its seventh championship in 2012 against who else but these Longhorns. But for now, the Tigers must settle for a state-record 12th appearance in the finals.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 6:53 PM

^Sports in Canadian culture?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
^Sports in Canadian culture?
Just using it as a reference point. I think the US is the only place in the world where amateur sports are such wildly supported. Many of my friends in Europe are amazed that college teams in the US often play before 80,000+ fans. I just had no idea that even high school games down in the states (even though this was a championship game) draw as many fans as the Grey Cup. Sports are important in Canadian culture, but we are just not as obsessive about it as our brethren down south. Hopefully we will keep things in the proper perspective.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 7:48 PM

Ottawa RedBlacks court 2017 Grey Cup
Tim Baines, Ottawa Sun January 14, 2015

The Ottawa RedBlacks have the 2017 Grey Cup on their mind.

They may or not be good enough by then to actually play in the game, but there's a pretty good chance they will be hosting the event.

While the CFL generally doesn't announce the site of each Grey Cup until the season before (the 2015 game will be played in Winnipeg), Ottawa makes so much sense for 2017.

The City of Ottawa is pushing for major events to celebrate Canada's 150th birthday in 2017 -- and a Grey Cup and outdoor NHL game are high on the list.

"We're giving the CFL the hard sell," said Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group president of sports Jeff Hunt on Wednesday. "We think they understand where we're coming from. We're trying to be a focal point of Canada's birthday (in 2017)."

The 2017 Grey Cup is still 34 months away, so more immediately the RedBlacks have turned their eyes to the 2015 season. With plenty of obstacles thrown into the mix right across the country, it looks like the RedBlacks will play at least their first regular-season game on the road.

With FIFA Women's World Cup soccer dates and the Pan-Am Games affecting many of the venues, the CFL schedule-makers have their work cut out for them. Hunt hopes to get a peek at the schedule as early as next week at the CFL Congress in Winnipeg.

There will be FIFA games in Ottawa June 7, 11, 20, 22 and 26. It's the last game that could force the RedBlacks to the road. The team will also likely once again hold its training camp at Carleton University.

"There are a lot of extenuating circumstances," said Hunt. "Plus, we have to find a place to play (an exhibition game earlier in June) at a neutral site."

With the RedBlacks football operations folks away scouting U.S. college hopefuls and with CFL free agency opening on Feb. 10, there's an excitement building from within and outside the team.

"We're hoping for a better result this season and we're certainly expecting a better result," said Hunt. "And when I say that, I mean more points and more wins. The effort and the competitiveness was at the level we expected last season. We did not play like a 2-16 team, but the record shows that's what we did. There were a couple of stinkers, but we were in most games. We want to see great progress this year. We were patient. We knew we were not going to get instant gratification. We're going to be competitive in this league for a long time."

A string of nine sellout games was certainly good news for the team's owners.

"There were lots of positives," said Hunt. "The fact we sold out every game was a pleasant surprise, I was happy to see so many young fans, the lost generation. It was a great atmosphere, the place to be. The transportation plan worked phenomenally. People who hadn't taken a bus in years embraced that mode of transportation."

Something to look forward to in the 2015 season will be the absence of construction and the retail elements in place, all adding to the game-day experience.

"In retail, something seems to be opening every week," said Hunt. "Something that hasn't been emphasized is people have not yet had the full Lansdowne experience. The whole idea when you come to a game is you get the whole animated experience with restaurants and bars. What we had, where you came through a construction site to get to the game, that will be gone. There will be no cranes. It will feel like a new place all over again."

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 8:06 PM

Why Indianapolis Colts GM Ryan Grigson Loves the CFL
Perry Lefko Chill Magazine October 01, 2014

Indianapolis Colts’ general manager Ryan Grigson is not shy about discussing his love for the Canadian Football League.

“There’s nobody (else) that goes out of their way for that league in terms of making them comfortable (when player personnel directors or scouts) come to visit our camp,” he told me. “We really treat those guys well because we want to maintain a great relationship with that league because it has served us well.”

The Colts have had a long history of signing CFL talent, including the likes of Mike Vanderjagt, Nick Harper, Kenton Keith, John Chick, Jerrell Freeman, Justin Hickman, Sam Giguere, Dan Federkeil and Henoc Muamba, to mention a few. The late Cal Murphy, a longtime CFL head coach with stops in Winnipeg and Saskatchewan, worked for the Colts for several years as a scout, in particular monitoring the CFL for talent. Grigson, who played briefly in the CFL with the Toronto Argonauts before embarking on a player personnel career, worked for Murphy scouting NFL talent in 1998.

“He was a great football man and I really enjoyed being around him,” he said. “He was funny, he was tough. He was such a strong Catholic. He shamed me into going to church two days in a row in Indy for a combine. It was just a coincidence that when I got here in 2012 he passed within my first month on the job. It was also ironic, I thought, that the first guy I signed as general manager was a Saskatchewan Roughrider, Jerrell Freeman. It’s kind of a coincidence but all connected in a way.

“From being up there and being in the Arena League, I knew what skills (CFL players) had. They play in space and I knew the import offensive lineman was going to be an athletic one, so I took bits and pieces of that and kind of filed it away. It’s not having a discriminatory feel for another league. Sometimes that gets in the way of other teams possibly looking at a guy because they can’t really project him in our league. They look at the (formation) or how the game is played and it looks too outlandish for them, so they can’t really put their stamp on it because it doesn’t look the same as the American game. At the same time, I always look at it that that’s the way our game is trending down here. You love to have linebackers that can play in space.

“There’s no doubt because of my time up there and scouting the league and what I know about that league, I can pinpoint certain areas and teams when I get that first initial list of CFL players who are going to become free agents. You’re always looking for that next Cam Wake (the onetime B.C. Lions rush end who has become a pre-eminent player in the NFL with the Miami Dolphins). That sure has paid dividends.”

Grigson recalled a moment he had scouting Karim Grant in Halifax while working for the St. Louis Rams in the late ‘90s. Grant was a defensive end with Acadia University.

“I went up there twice and I thought (the Canadian university system) was an untapped area to get players,” he said. “I worked for National Football Scouting that teams contract out to get data from. So many teams complained because I was putting these Canadian college players on the list and it was killing their budget flying their scouts to Halifax, so they dropped scouting the Canadian colleges after my year there. I was to blame for that. They’re back doing that, but it was like a 10-year hiatus.”

His brother Dru, director of college scouting with the Arizona Cardinals, worked for a year in the CFL with the Montreal Alouettes in a scouting capacity. He also attended the Ottawa Renegades’ training camp in 2004 as a linebacker/defensive end.

“We both kind of have some ties up there,” he said.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 5:17 PM

I see the lawsuit regarding the Womens World Cup being played on artificial turf was dropped

http://www.tsn.ca/women-s-soccer-pla...-turf-1.188300

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
I see the lawsuit regarding the Womens World Cup being played on artificial turf was dropped

Lame...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 12:40 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post

They never had a chance. It was always stupid and irrational if one informs oneself of how the WWC bid came to be in the first place, the lawsuit was most likely to get some media attention for the plaintiff, which it did (she's now the toast of the lesbian community circuit). That being said, they make a compelling case for including natural grass for all future WWCs.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 5:57 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Toronto FC just launched their official reserve team (as opposed to their Academy team), called Toronto FC 2:
http://www.tfc2.ca

It will be the first professional sports team in Vaughn and will be playing in the Ontario Soccer Association's new grass stadium, under construction, close to the new subway line:

(Phase I)

(Phase II)

Montreal (FC Montreal) and Vancouver (Whitecaps FC 2) are also starting new reserve teams in the continental (24-team) USL PRO league.

There is also a rumour that another professional soccer team in the GTA called the Toronto Blizzard will be launching as well in the NASL.

Last edited by mistercorporate; Jan 22, 2015 at 6:07 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 5:50 PM
Registered Drug User

Five different people at the supermarket and a couple of other shops in town asked me if I was going to watch the Superbowl yesterday. The NFL-themed displays for snacks are up. This town is buzzing.

Which is sad. I'm no fan of American/Canadian football, but I recognize that we lose something when the foreign product displaces the Canadian one in the affections of the locals. There was no indication anywhere around here that people were watching the Grey Cup back in December, and you'd be hard pressed to find any evidence of the existence of the CFL in these regions at all (I know we've gone over this on this thread).

I shake my head, but what are you going to do? We really are a one-horse country when it comes to sports: hockey rules all. Save for some parts of the country, I guess. And pockets of fervent support for other teams like the Raptors and the Blue Jays. It's telling that the celebrations in Hamilton for the Jays' 1992 and 1993 World Series wins were larger than for the Ti-cats' more recent Grey Cup wins. Gore Park was an absolute madhouse in 1992. They even overturned a bus. Italy's wins in the World Cups of 1982 and 2006 also resulted in pandemonium.

It might be too preposterous to wonder how a Stanley Cup win would go down around here, because, well...you know.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 10:07 PM
The New Republic

How things can change in a generation or two. When I was a kid practically no one watched the NFL. It was the CFL and Grey Cup that mattered. The Grey Cup was a national celebration and easily the biggest day in Canadian sports. Today we might as well be a cultural colony of the US; especially in southern Ontario.

That every media outlet is doing shows on Super Bowl parties, food, and preparations is just mind boggling to me. Did I fall asleep and wake up in the United States? It's salt in the wound when one realizes that Canada crowned 54 Grey Cup champions before the Super Bowl even existed. Then again we now live in a country where 6 year olds think that Obama is the leader of Canada and that our capital is Washington.

The current generation 15-35 know shockingly little about their own country; nor do they care to. Our forefathers must be rolling in their graves.

Last edited by isaidso; Jan 31, 2015 at 10:28 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 1:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

You're absolutely right guys but I guess the usual apologists are waiting for me (the kinda outsider) to chime in before they join the fray...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 1:32 PM

I don't feel like its a US vs Canada thing. Fact remains that the NFL is the biggest football league in the world. Every coach and player in the CFL would rather be in the NFL.

I know they games are slightly different. The CFL is the best CFL rules league, you could argue, but it's not dissimilar enough from the NFL to really make that point.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 1:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
I don't feel like its a US vs Canada thing. Fact remains that the NFL is the biggest football league in the world. Every coach and player in the CFL would rather be in the NFL.

I know they games are slightly different. The CFL is the best CFL rules league, you could argue, but it's not dissimilar enough from the NFL to really make that point.
The interest of many Canadians in the NFL is not so much the issue, as it is the disinterest in the CFL on the part of so many Canadians.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada