HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 1:47 PM

There is an actual building pad built now on the Constellation site. Was something announced for there that I don't remember? I get the feeling they are just going to put another hotel there and be done with it. If so, I hope they at least landscape the rest of the property...

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 8:23 PM

I get the sense that there has been so much hype over this site in the past that the developer is slipping in a ho-hum, drab, hotel just to get something going. I hope I’m wrong. We should see soon enough. Something is happening at the site.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 11:21 PM

So how much longer is Zierdt Road going to remain under construction? The last I heard was that the project was on schedule. That must have been a very conservative schedule or one that only had 2 employees building a road!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_L View Post
So how much longer is Zierdt Road going to remain under construction? The last I heard was that the project was on schedule. That must have been a very conservative schedule or one that only had 2 employees building a road!
Based on this site, http://www.huntsvillempo.org/maps/

it should be all done in September 2018.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 9:56 PM

The start date for Zierdt Road is September 2018. That puts the final around 1.5 years later. Both intersections (Hwy 20 and Martin Road) will be a real mess until completed. All of the construction workers and materials will have to travel those roads (Zierdt and Hwy 20). Plus the construction of the roads.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:37 AM

Huntsville International Airport representatives will join community leaders and special guests to make a big reveal tomorrow. This is not an announcement that you want to miss and we are inviting you to be a part of this very big news that will impact the business and leisure traveler in our community.

Who:
Huntsville-Madison County Airport Authority (HMCAA)

When:
Tuesday, July 10, 2018
10:00am

Where:
Huntsville International Airport
Ticket Counters- Lower Level Terminal Building
1000 Glenn Hearn Boulevard
Huntsville, AL 35824

What:
Huntsville International Airport will host a Press Conference to reveal some very big news to our community.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownhsvguy View Post
Huntsville International Airport representatives will join community leaders and special guests to make a big reveal tomorrow. This is not an announcement that you want to miss and we are inviting you to be a part of this very big news that will impact the business and leisure traveler in our community.
It is probably Frontier Airlines.
Since yesterday, HSV appears on the list of destinations with departure dates available for selection to Denver and Orlando.
I hope it's more than that. Otherwise the news is not so big - both destinations are already covered by United and Silver.
Flying to Denver with Frontier will be definitely cheaper though.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 1:41 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP1 View Post
It is probably Frontier Airlines.
Since yesterday, HSV appears on the list of destinations with departure dates available for selection to Denver and Orlando.
I hope it's more than that. Otherwise the news is not so big - both destinations are already covered by United and Silver.
Flying to Denver with Frontier will be definitely cheaper though.
If the flights are successful, and they should be, additional service and destinations will become available.
Great job by the airport authority in getting this service. United flights are geared more toward business(daily), where Frontier and Silver more toward leisure

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
If the flights are successful, and they should be, additional service and destinations will become available.
Great job by the airport authority in getting this service. United flights are geared more toward business(daily), where Frontier and Silver more toward leisure
Will it really matter? United will drop their rates for similar times to DEN to push them out of the market...just like Delta did to AirTran a few years ago. And as soon as they are gone, they'll jack the prices right back up!

My family of 4 has flown 2x this year to MSP and DEN, next month to MSP, I go to Ireland next month, and the 4 of us go to Cancun in December....all out of Nashville! Because similar flights from HSV cost over $1000 more for the 4 of us EACH time!! Sorry. For $1000, I'll drive to BNA! When I booked the Ireland trip, BNA-PHL-SNN...DUB-CLT-BNA was $1100 CHEAPER than HSV-CLT-PHL-SNN...DUB-CLT-HSV. Only 1 extra flight! And I upgraded to better seat from BNA!

HSV has got to do something for the NON-Government traveler. Unless they are proud to be consistently ranked in the top most expensive airports in the USA.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 12:04 PM

Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvinhsv View Post
Will it really matter? United will drop their rates for similar times to DEN to push them out of the market...just like Delta did to AirTran a few years ago. And as soon as they are gone, they'll jack the prices right back up!

My family of 4 has flown 2x this year to MSP and DEN, next month to MSP, I go to Ireland next month, and the 4 of us go to Cancun in December....all out of Nashville! Because similar flights from HSV cost over $1000 more for the 4 of us EACH time!! Sorry. For $1000, I'll drive to BNA! When I booked the Ireland trip, BNA-PHL-SNN...DUB-CLT-BNA was $1100 CHEAPER than HSV-CLT-PHL-SNN...DUB-CLT-HSV. Only 1 extra flight! And I upgraded to better seat from BNA!

HSV has got to do something for the NON-Government traveler. Unless they are proud to be consistently ranked in the top most expensive airports in the USA.
I am surprised no one has tried to start a new airline based in Huntsville. I know that would be expensive, and there would be many, many hoops to jump through. But you guys sent a man to the moon!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 9:45 PM

Is there a rendering of the new courthouse floating around ?

Also, has there been any discussion about doing something with the county courthouse ? Always envisioned demolishing it and having a true downtown square.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 1:58 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Is there a rendering of the new courthouse floating around ?

Also, has there been any discussion about doing something with the county courthouse ? Always envisioned demolishing it and having a true downtown square.
Assume you mean the new Federal courthouse that will be built on the corner of Lowe and Gallatin across from Publix/Twickenham Square. No, the design phase is just getting started, probably a year or more before we see something.
The county courthouse isn't going anywhere but the new annex that will probably be built at the corner of Oakwood and Memorial Parkway will free up a lot of space for more courts. Most services for the public (licenses, permits etc) will move to the new annex. When all this happens the old Federal courthouse on Holmes would make for a cool boutique hotel or meeting space.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 1:21 PM

Thanks!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 2:19 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Reported earlier I believe but a new 5 level parking deck along with ground level retail/restaurant spaces coming to the surface lot at the corner of Holmes and Greene downtown.
Also another hospital parking deck planned on Rand, maybe an expansion of the existing one.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 2:28 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
Reported earlier I believe but a new 5 level parking deck along with ground level retail/restaurant spaces coming to the surface lot at the corner of Holmes and Greene downtown.
Also another hospital parking deck planned on Rand, maybe an expansion of the existing one.
NW corner of the lot?

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 7:00 PM

Huntsville Hospital expanding again. A new building with additional patient beds and operating rooms:

https://whnt.com/2018/08/15/review-b...tal-bed-tower/

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 11:25 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Had been rumored for a month or so now confirmed Another Broken Egg Café
will open downtown in Twickenham Square around October.
Will be in the old Chocolate Bar location.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 6:49 PM

Any word on Constellation?

All other projects are at various stages of progress apart from Constellation.

Such an eye sore. Mr McLain could at least put Bermuda grass on top of that huge pad of dirt.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 8:51 PM

REI is coming to Mid City Huntsville

A year from now, area residents will be able to shop at outdoor retailer REI which is locating at Mid City. Here is the link: https://www.al.com/business/index.ss...idcity_hu.html

The article states that there are over 3,500 REI members in the HSV area already, so they already have a good customer base to begin their business and grow from.

Of all the projects in the HSV area, Mid City leads the pack in announced restaurants and retailers with Top Golf, High Country Climbing and Fitness, Rascall Flats Restaurant, Wahlburgers, the Aloft Hotel and Dave and Busters.

The irony is that Mid City had the latest start - Constellation and Town Madison have been in the works far longer and could have landed all of these. Both have far more visible locations, too, with higher traffic counts passing by them everyday.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
A year from now, area residents will be able to shop at outdoor retailer REI which is locating at Mid City.

The irony is that Mid City had the latest start - Constellation and Town Madison have been in the works far longer and could have landed all of these. Both have far more visible locations, too, with higher traffic counts passing by them everyday.
Probably not in Town Madison - REI was listed or hinted already in the first renderings of Mid City and definitely not in Constellation, which is unofficially dead, IMHO.

Now I hope JC Penny and Sears come back and Trader Joe's ends up somewhere too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast