HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 12:03 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
The Saint John Harbour Station, and I assume most/all new arenas these days are designed in a way to take advantage of new ideas and technology to accommodate any type of event that will come along.

As you can see below, the end zone seats are partially removed to slide out the main concert stage. This allows more seating capacity around the bowl and the floor.
The RFP for the events centre indeed stipulates that the seating at one end of the arena be removable to allow for back-of-house flexibility and to allow for optimal stage placement for concerts. In other words, it will function in the same way that Harbour Station does.......

Last edited by MonctonRad; Mar 27, 2014 at 12:16 AM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 12:45 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The CBC poll is staying pretty true:

Total Votes - 525

5,000 seat arena - 10 votes (1.9%)
7,500 seat arena - 85 votes (16.2%)
9,000 seat arena - 270 votes (51.4%)
Keep Coliseum - 160 votes (30.5%)

So, a clear plurality of respondents in the informal CBC poll wants an events centre with ay least 9,000 seats. The bureaucrats at city hall and the members of city council should pay heed to this and work with the responders to the RFP to see what can be done…….

BTW - Don't read the comments at the bottom of the CBC article. The morons who comment on the CBC site are nothing but Luddites and Neanderthals who don't understand the issues involved and enjoy nothing more than being provocative and outrageous.

The naysayers commenting against the events centre on the CBC site much prefer the acres of barren parking around the current Coliseum and the security of having a stable tax rate, all the time whilst sitting in cramped seats, sweating in the non-existent air conditioned environment and breathing in the stale and fetid air while trying to listen to the echoing announcements on the loudspeakers during the hockey games at the current venue.

The comments on the CBC site may be mostly negative for the new events centre, but the actual poll indicates that nearly 70% of respondents want a new events centre and that 51% want a minimum of 9,000 seats.

City council please take note……

BTW - Doesn't Jacques Dube look like an accountant??

Gotta love the bow tie!!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 12:49 AM
ハルウララ

I don't think it makes much sense to, on one hand, completely throw support and belief behind a poll on a website whilst, on the other hand, completely deriding the very people who post comments on the same website. Surely a fair number of people who would be willing to waste their time commenting on a news article would also vote in said poll. I just think it's silly, that's all.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 12:56 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I don't think it makes much sense to, on one hand, completely throw support and belief behind a poll on a website whilst, on the other hand, completely deriding the very people who post comments on the same website. Surely a fair number of people who would be willing to waste their time commenting on a news article would vote in said poll. I just think it's silly, that's all.
Actually, I think the polling numbers are probably fairly accurate. A lot of people who read the article felt strongly enough about the issue to vote, and 51% said they wanted a 9,000 seat events centre.

The people who actually bother to post comments on the CBC site however tend to be professional bellyachers, and they tend to post negative comments, no matter what the issue is. You see the same names all the time, posting on all sorts of issues. Their comments are virtually always negative and are designed to provoke a reaction. These people seem to be bitter, small minded folk and I personally dislike the vitriol they spew every day.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 1:12 AM

In the end all the matters is that, this cbc poll shows that people are paying attention and that the people of this city want to go big, this is a show of support for the project... be it on cbc or on the city website.. people have spoken.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 2:21 AM
Spem Reduxit

Someone should start a petition in order to gain legitimate names of Monctonians who actually want to see a 9000+ seat EC. It is my understanding that ONLY Monctonians are footing the bill on this, and therefore ONLY their opinion should count.

I'm a former Monctonian, so who gives a flying fart of what I think. I can definitely say Mayor LeBlanc doesn't because my vote is nonexistent, nor the slug of ex-NB'ers who check in on cbc.ca/nb home news from their couches in Alberta or where ever and are click happy for polls.

With that rant, I can only say that at least a new arena is looking more likely and will still spawn excitement and further investment in the downtown once built.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 1:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton wants ‘iconic’ events centre
Thursday, March 27, 2014
Times & Transcript
By: Brent Mazerolle
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=12596

There was a lot of talk about seats as Moncton city council went through a draft request for proposals on Tuesday to build a multi-purpose events centre in downtown Moncton. But there wasn’t much talk about the other things included in the RFP document.

Yet the goal of making the facility more than a “new Moncton Coliseum dropped downtown” is still front and centre as the request for proposals goes out to two proponents who have proven their ability to take on such projects.

The number 1 objective, according to the RFP, is that the proposed“downtown centre shall replace the Moncton Coliseum-Agrena complex as a sports and entertainment venue.”It also says, “large scale trade shows will remain at the Moncton Coliseum.”

At this point, the city’s assumption is that they will keep the ice in the Coliseum.

“However, that may change as a result of an independent study currently underway on repurposing the Coliseum,” the RFP documents read.

Ranked behind only the idea of replacing the Coliseum is the requirement that “the downtown centre will achieve high architectural quality. The intention of the downtown centre is to be a signature, landmark building, not only in Moncton, but in Atlantic Canada,” the document reads.

“In addition, any new building(s) must contribute to the attractiveness of the urban downtown core. The downtown centre must be an iconic building which will anchor the next generation of development in the downtown.”

Later in the request for proposals, the proponents are told the bids will be scored on the architectural qualities of the designs – features such as an “iconic design,”“types of finishes,” and “public art.”

Because the whole goal of the centre, besides its utility, is to be a catalyst for other private development in the downtown,“the site layout should consider the city’s objectives for future development on the balance of the lands …”

It’s estimated the centre itself will only require four acres of the 11 acres of Highfield Square property the city bought this week. The city’s plan is to sell the remaining land to private developers who can build compatible projects.

With that in mind, “the layout should, to the extent possible, creates a parcel(s) that are of a size and shape that are conducive for future development. Similarly, the design of the downtown centre should enhance the potential and marketability of these lands for residential or mixed use development.”

The RFP also says, “the downtown centre must establish building massing and uses to support a vibrant streetscape.”

When it comes to the arena portion itself, the document calls for a single NHL-sized ice pad.

However, city manager Jacques Dubé, while addressing council on Tuesday, added the ice surface must be “expandable to international hockey standards” so international tournaments could be hosted.

Besides the minimum of 7,500 fixed seats and 1,500-2,000 non-fixed seats much discussed by council, proponents are being told to include 20 luxury boxes with party suites in their design.

The city also wants a restaurant open on game days, concessions and meeting space adjacent or connected to the arena, and a figure of 20,000 square feet has been stated as the desired size.

This meeting space requirement contradicts what was previously reported. However, the RFP does not include provisions for moving the Moncton Public Library or the city’s farmers market to the site, two ideas that have been tossed around in the past.

Finally, the RFP calls for outdoor civic space. The proposal also calls for an on-time delivery and to have the facility opened to the public no later than August 2017. The deadline to submit RFP’s is Aug. 15, 2014. The city had previously issued a request for qualifications in order to narrow the field of potential companies that were interested and qualified to handle such a project.

From that process, a shortlist of two large consortia, led by Ellis Don and Bird Construction respectively, were selected.

I'm not sure about the requirement to be able to expand the ice surface to international standards. That sounds awfully (and unnecessarily) expensive to me. Also, I would much prefer a minimum of 9,000 seats; but aside from this, the RFP sounds pretty good to me……

Lets remove that part about being able to expand the ice surface to international standards and apply the savings towards an extra 1,500 seats. What does everyone think??

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 3:00 PM

The ability to expand to international standards is a benefit, and usually only requires the removal of a couple rows of bowl seats (as I understand it). Thus if there is enough of a total in seating (10K) to start plus boxes, having that ability I see as a benefit for the future.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 7:42 PM

I just read in the T & T that Moncton city council held a special public session this afternoon and voted unanimously to give a greater weight to the number of seats wanted in the Downtown Events Center. The city will amend the RFP that will give a seat count bonus. For those who offer a proposal meeting the 9,000 seats they will be awarded bonus points, while losing points if the 9,000 seat criteria is not met.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 1:23 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting. So, it sounds like city council is caving to public opinion that 7,500 seats is too small. This is a good thing.

The process however is still encumbered by the "affordability cap", and also the contract is not only for the construction of the events centre, but also for the management of the facility.

These two factors would combine to make both Bird Construction and Ellis Don continue to lowball the seat count. More seats mean more construction costs, which would eat into their profit margin for the construction phase. Empty seats would generate no profits during the management phase of the contract, and would also tend to drive up facility costs somewhat.

I doubt that either bidder would be keen on a 9,000 seat count, but there will defintely be pressure on them to boost the number of seats in the facility. I predict that the developers will come back with a seat count of 8,000-8,500. This would still be a victory of sorts for those of us who wanted a larger facility.

I kinda think that even 8,000 seats surpasses a certain psychological factor. An arena of this size is starting to sound biggish........

Last edited by MonctonRad; Apr 29, 2014 at 3:31 AM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 11:11 AM

When can we expect to see some renderings of their proposals?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 12:20 PM

I remember last year the city had said Highfield Square would have to be demolished in the near future as the developers working on their proposals would require a clean piece of land to do their planning. I also thought the budget last year had set aside funds for not only the purchase, but for the demolition and clean up of the property. Perhaps I don't remember correctly, but does anybody have any comments on this? I'm anxious to see Highfield come down as it will be another positive step.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
I remember last year the city had said Highfield Square would have to be demolished in the near future as the developers working on their proposals would require a clean piece of land to do their planning. I also thought the budget last year had set aside funds for not only the purchase, but for the demolition and clean up of the property. Perhaps I don't remember correctly, but does anybody have any comments on this? I'm anxious to see Highfield come down as it will be another positive step.
Didn't that change when they actually bought the land? I thought part of the deal was that the original owner had to clean the property up and that is why the price jumped? Either way it should be done soon.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 12:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
Didn't that change when they actually bought the land? I thought part of the deal was that the original owner had to clean the property up and that is why the price jumped? Either way it should be done soon.
Yes, the current owners (WarrenGate) are now responsible for site remediation. I'm sure Highfield Square will be coming down this summer.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 12:50 PM

There was once talk of incorporating the exterior of the existing building along Main as part of the new events centre. I assume that's no longer the case. Hopefully….

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
There was once talk of incorporating the exterior of the existing building along Main as part of the new events centre. I assume that's no longer the case. Hopefully….
Let's hope you're right!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 1:14 PM

It's funny how the city of moncton (George LeBlanc, Jaques Dube and company) are out in media sabre rattling for the DT events centre project becuase my high level government contacts say they haven't been approached with a business plan or anything to prove the sustainability for taxpayers. This whole project smells like corruption and a future white elephant that'll be 75% empty 24/7/365.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_Man View Post
It's funny how the city of moncton (George LeBlanc, Jaques Dube and company) are out in media sabre rattling for the DT events centre project becuase my high level government contacts say they haven't been approached with a business plan or anything to prove the sustainability for taxpayers. This whole project smells like corruption and a future white elephant that'll be 75% empty 24/7/365.
I think you have the wrong site - you're looking for the comment section on CBC news.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 1:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
That was an idea floated by one of the city councillors some time ago (Bourgeois I think). It was pretty lame brained and wasn't taken seriously by anyone else.

It's not as if the existing facade has any architectural or historic merit......

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 1:45 PM

deleted

Last edited by Monctoncore; Apr 29, 2014 at 3:24 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces