HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 10:18 PM

well Hart is looking for staff in the Beresford area, only place they can go is where The Bargain Shop used to be before they went into restructuration, near the new NB liquor store.

Also the port of Belledune is on track to sell 250 acres of land to a Calgary company that deals with crude oil. Deposit has been made by Chaleur Terminal Inc (Found nothing on them online and the calgary company is not mentionned) They project250 jobs during construction and 30+ full time job when operations begin. No mention on what is actually going to be built there

http://www.max1049.ca/localnews/story.aspx?ID=2142309

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 12:12 AM

Well looks like it will be a tank farm, saw in the northern light that crude oil from out west will be transported by train to belledune to eventually be shiped by boat. Now they are saying that they expect 120-150 convoys of trains per day, i'm sure the meant wagon but someone who knows more about trains could probably clarify that. So being conservative, lets say they get 135 wagons a day, puts almost 50 000 more wagon per year on that track, it will for sure make that segment lucrative for the CN, wonder if it could make them change their decision on closing the newcastle segment.

Its written that if all goes well, things could start moving this fall

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 2:03 AM

Twin Rivers invests $2.5M in Plaster Rock mill, creates 50 jobs
Company officials credit New Brunswick's new forestry strategy, which provides more Crown wood

CBC News Posted: Mar 27, 2014 5:38 PM AT Last Updated: Mar 27, 2014 5:38 PM AT

Twin Rivers Paper Company is investing $2.5 million in its Plaster Rock sawmill, creating about 50 jobs in the northwestern village.

It's a direct result of the province's new forestry strategy, said Jean-Pierre Grenon, vice-president of forestry and sawmill operations, who made the announcement on Thursday.

Under the new plan, announced earlier this month, the mill will get more Crown wood, which puts the company in a "strong position to create and sustain jobs," said Grenon.

"The strategy provides clarity and a path forward to make investments now and in the future," he said.

The company plans to add a third production shift to its operations by May, resulting in 50 new jobs at the mill, which currently employs 180 people.

There will also be about 80 spinoff jobs created in woodlands and trucking, said Grenon.

Environmental groups and New Brunswick opposition parties have been critical of the new forestry plan, which will allow industry to cut about 20 per cent more softwood from Crown land.

New Brunswick Crown foresty debate

More on the Crown forestry debate in New Brunswick

But Mayor Alexis Fenner is pleased about what it means for her community.

"Fifty jobs in a village of eleven hundred and a few is like 500 jobs in Saint John, or 500 jobs in Fredericton," she said.

Job-seeker Dale Paget also welcomed the news from the village's main employer.

"I've been trying to get on there for a few years now and this is going to be as good a chance as a person has right now," he said.

Premier David Alward said a local tradesman told him the changes have enabled him to come home.

Alward quoted the man as saying, "I've been travelling for seven-and-a-half years, and this means long-term stability for the mill, and I can retire here."

There has been some good news coming from the North recently...

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 2:37 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
Well looks like it will be a tank farm, saw in the northern light that crude oil from out west will be transported by train to belledune to eventually be shiped by boat. Now they are saying that they expect 120-150 convoys of trains per day, i'm sure the meant wagon but someone who knows more about trains could probably clarify that. So being conservative, lets say they get 135 wagons a day, puts almost 50 000 more wagon per year on that track, it will for sure make that segment lucrative for the CN, wonder if it could make them change their decision on closing the newcastle segment.

Its written that if all goes well, things could start moving this fall
Where will the oil be shipped to? Will it be going to Europe??

This is good news I suppose, but shipping oil (especially Bakken oil) by rail makes me very nervous……..

If the terminus is in Belledune, this will probably mean squat for the line between Miramichi and Bathurst. This part of the line is being abandoned as there is no industrial traffic using this segment.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 1:58 PM

According to an article I just read in the Etoile, it would be destined to european markets. The CEO of the port Rayburn Doucett gives an interview and talks about other opportunities and projects who will soon take place or that are in the works at the port without mentionning what they are.

I think that the port will really be the savior for the region surrounding it, for those who have never seen it, I encourage you to look at the website of the port just to give and idea of the size and of all the land available for developpment around it. Even with this company buying 250 acres, there is still tons of land available at the port for developpment and expansion.

In the last few years, the port has doubled in size and every year there is a new infrastructure projects. For those who will be looking at the site, just note that the new permanent weight station and expantion to the bulk storage facility at the MD young terminal where not yet built at the time they updated the picture of the port.

http://www.portofbelledune.ca/index.php

Last edited by theshark; Mar 29, 2014 at 2:36 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 5:59 PM

Jacques Poitras (@poitrasCBC):
L'Acadie Nouvelle reporting that Ottawa will announce Monday that they'll pay to upgrade Bathurst-Miramichi track to save Via Rail service.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 6:02 PM

A little news from the north, from what I know, Pita pit Miramichi is open, so as Giant Tiger. Winner's should follow next month.

The new NB liquor store is underway besides sobey's in Bathurst. Pharmacie Jean Coutu is also expanding its store and its currently underway. Harts should have their Beresford store running by next month

Rumour mill is running to the max lately. The old Chaleur Mall land has been sold and speculations are far and wide as per what will go there but there is no official announcment as of yet.

Also here is a plan of the thank farm planned for the port of Belledune. As you can see, there is already a shadow for phase two and several more phase can fit in there.

http://www.ckle.fm/actualite/item/32...credi-16-avril

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 7:03 PM

Few things from the north,

New NB liquor store in Bathurst is progressing nicelly, should be in operation by the end of the summer. Jean-coutu's expantion is also under way. They also have plans to open a new pharmacy in Beresford.

Beresford town counsel recently approved a 52 units appartment complex. Will be just one story and covering a large underdevelopped parcel of land off rue principale.

Tim Horton's have recently opened their door at the Edmundston truck stop in the grey rock Power Center. Then entertainment complaex should be opening in august and soon followed by a Burger King. There is also talks that a 55 000 square foot plaza could be starting anytime soon. They are targeting stores that are not already present in the region and some would be on track but since there is no opening date determined, no announcement has been made as of yet.

Here is the article in French from the Info-Weekend http://www.infoweekend.ca/actualites...-dici-decembre

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 12:54 PM

I would see Staples move on the Grey Rock Power Centre with the mall in St-Basile being bought out not too long ago. I would also love to see the Centre Brunswick also close down to make place for a strip mall, but with the current owner of that mall I don't see that coming to life soon.

Also, plans for a new multifunctional arena are taking shape for Edmundston. A 2,800 seat arena that would be built next to the new indoor stadium. I also saw job posting for a consultant not too long ago on the web. He would be responsible to make plans for the funding.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 1:50 PM

A Staples move would make sense, to move it in a more commercial area of the city and at the same time, they would probably reduce the footprint of the store.

For the brunswick center I am at loss for words for the management of this place, so much they could do and so little they are doing.

For the Chaleur region, NB liquor and Jean Coutu construction and expansion are still moving along.

Hart Store has opened in Beresford and IAM building solutions are refurbishing the old Bennett Plant in Belledune for modular construction!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 2:52 PM

With Caribou Mine on track to reopening, and Treveli's other nearby mines at Half Mile Lake and Stratmat opening soon, what is their plan to move this product? Where will it go? How will it be shipped?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 3:32 PM

If I recall correctly from what I have read in the past. All the rough product will be shipped by trucks to Caribou, I presume they will build or upgrade a wood road for the trucks not to have to do the huge detour. They will truck it to Caribou since there is a processing mill on the site of the mine more adequate to their needs. Then just comes a question of to whom they will sell the product to. It will have to be trucked out for sure since Caribou is in the middle of nowhere but after that it can either be shipped by truck, train, boat, or sold to the Smelter. I'm not sure what the plan is with the product that will come out of the milling plant.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 4:23 PM

It will be interesting to see. I beleive the smelter only takes lead and silver, so the zinc would rather go to port of Belledune or train i would think.

I believe someone from port of Belledune made a comment a few months ago that a mine and CN were working on something, and that it would create jobs in Belledune. Maybe something else than Caribou. Seems the port may have a few irons in the fire. Hopefully, because the area needs more jobs.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 12:07 AM

True, the zinc was shipped directly by train from Brunswick mines, they might truck it to Belledune to put on the train there.

Also they where doing surveying on the land that was bought by chaleur terminals inc for the tank farm, i expect to see the land starting to be cleared over the next few weeks. Phase 1 is not even started yet we alreadt hear about phase two!

The port has several projects on the go but it will take time! once you go inside and see the size of the land that is available for developpment and the infrastructures that are already in place, it is pretty impressive!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 3:33 PM

Yes the zinc was loaded on the train at the mines and some was off loaded at the bulk handling in Belledune to be loaded in boats, and the rest went to Valleyfield, QC.

Heard rumor the clearing of the land for Chaleur Terminals was to start this week. From what I heard phase one was 8 tanks and 1 train a day, phase 2 is 12 more tanks and 2 trains a day. Did you hear the same?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 6:39 PM

Yes there was an article in the paper last week, don't recall if it was the northern light or l'étoile but NIMBY's group from Quebec were talking about the project and if i recall correctly that is what they where mentioning. Also there was a drawing of the project released in the month of May where phase one and two where already drawn and when you looked at it, there is still place for several expansion phases, i say the site could probably accommodate 50 tanks if not more.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 7:04 PM

There was an article in the E'toile about the Quebec enviromental group.
That group claims phase 2 is 600 railcars (5 trains) and phase 3 is 1200 (10 trains!). First I hear of this info and a phase 3. The plant is suppose to be only able to unload 250 cars per day.

Also I see in the news there is plans for a pellet plant and a wood fibre plant
in Miramichi at the old UPM mill sites.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 7:27 PM

Lots of good news for the miramichi, hope this wind could make its way a little bit more to the north!

Winners also recently opened in miramichi

Btw welcome to the forum! You also from the norh?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 7:34 PM

In time I think we will get more industry back.
Thanks. Yes, from Campbellton area.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 8:55 PM

Awesome!! Im in Bathurst and i always struggle to find news from the restigouche! Any news on what will become of the zellers spot at the sugarloaf mall?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces