HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 8:29 PM

Here is the rendering for the commercial development now under way on the corner of 2NC and Cliffe (Phase 1). Note that these are a bit outdated as the location of the new Francophone school is showing the wrong location and there is a reference to the traffic counts prior to the new Gibson-Neil elementary school being completed.

I seem to recall seeing that a stand-alone Second-Cup store is sked to go in there. Not sure what else if any they have lined up but appears full speed ahead once the snow is gone (if that ever happens)

http://www.colpittsdevelopments.ca/i...pportunity.pdf

Re the map showing the proposed Francophone school.....Heard that land is now likely to be used for a new English Middle school to replace the Devon facility currently located at the corner of School and McLaren. Of course work has already begun on the Francophone facility located on the Neil Property.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl812 View Post
Looks like it would have been close to the height of the Cathedral.

On another note, came across this the other day:

http://www.partnersglobal.com/wp-con...rossing_PG.pdf

Wonder if this means there will be some activity at the SmartCentres site in the near future? According to this doc one of the proposed buildings is already mostly leased.
If that is true I would imagine they will start construction on that building very soon. I wonder what kind of stores will go there and in the Colpitts development at Cliffe and Two Nations.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 3:39 PM

I'd expect they'll aim for the usual minimall stuff. That close to the schools and Willy, I'd expect a Needs or some other convenience store, and a Subway and some other food options. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Dentist office in there too; those seem to pop up in all the minimalls, and I don't think there are any particularly close to that area.

Regardless it's good to see that 2NC is finally beginning to take off, both the Smart Centre, and the rest of the space.

Looking at the PDF for the Smart Centre PDF, seeing the zoning "Permitted Use" gave me pause since "Cinema" is the second entry there. But that's just the boilerplate sadly. (That and none of the pads they are showing would be a good size for Empire). With 8,9 and 10 leased already, I'm sure that building will go up quickly, if the snow ever melts. Getting the rest of the buildings up will go a long way to helping 2NC really take off.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 4:27 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
I'd expect they'll aim for the usual minimall stuff. That close to the schools and Willy, I'd expect a Needs or some other convenience store, and a Subway and some other food options. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Dentist office in there too; those seem to pop up in all the minimalls, and I don't think there are any particularly close to that area.

Regardless it's good to see that 2NC is finally beginning to take off, both the Smart Centre, and the rest of the space.

Looking at the PDF for the Smart Centre PDF, seeing the zoning "Permitted Use" gave me pause since "Cinema" is the second entry there. But that's just the boilerplate sadly. (That and none of the pads they are showing would be a good size for Empire). With 8,9 and 10 leased already, I'm sure that building will go up quickly, if the snow ever melts. Getting the rest of the buildings up will go a long way to helping 2NC really take off.

That would be nice but, Empire was bought out by Cineplex FYI.

It would be nice to have a theatre over there, I have alot of memories of going to the Northside one as a kid. The $2 theatres were awesome.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 4:47 PM

Not that I go to the movies often, but Id be happy with a renovated theatre at the Regent Mall, it is ridiculous what they charge for a movie when the theatres are soo bad. Not to mention when you have to sit through 10 min of comercials even before the trailers begin.

They havent changed the signage yet I am assuming that is the case at most or all of the theatres they acquired?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 4:56 PM

Sorry had a brain fart. I know Cineplex bought out Empire, but for some reason I got them reversed in my mind.

In any case, if you go back 10-20 pages, there used to be a link (now dead) that had the Lease Expiry dates at Regent Mall. Empire's lease expires this year or next year I think. So even though nothing is announced yet, I fully expect them to decamp from the Mall and go to a new location, probably around the Corbertt centre (Between Homedepot and Costco would probably be where they're targetting). In a dream world I'd love to see them in 2NC as well, but I'm not that hopeful.

Now if Primerus offers them a sweetheart deal to stay around, they may stay in the mall. If that happens then the theatres will probably get a full facelift that's LONG overdue. But my money's on a standalone building going up Soon(tm), if only to save their concession sales from the food court down the hall.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 5:10 PM

There's two fairly large wetlands areas behind Home Depot and Costco so I wouldn't bet on seeing anything developed there.

Perhaps this would be a good way to start development on the south side of Bishop Drive on that huge chunk of land which I believe is owned by one of the Irving companies.

Staying in the mall would be tough. I would guess that they'd want to expand the number of screens and obviously have stadium seating in every theatre. I'm not sure if that's even possible to do in their existing space but who knows.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 5:42 PM

The Mall would probably love to keep them there. But the Theatre no doubt wants out.

* The Food Court eats into their concessions.
* Christmas eats up their parking.
* No expansion room without cutting off fire routes and/or delivery routes
* Hard/impossible to make the theatres bigger, and stadium seating would just cut down on the number of tix they can sell.

So the mall would have to cut them a mighty sweet deal to make them stay, IMO. But until the proposal goes up to City Council, we probably won't hear much.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 4:51 PM
Any where but Fredericton

I love going to see movies in Moncton the theatres there are so nice. i know the one by Crystal palace before Christmas still had empire signs. I for one would love to have Theatre seating. Makes it a better movie experience. i rarely go to movies now.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 1:27 PM

The Fredericton Convention Centre has been certified LEED Silver: http://www.frederictonconventions.ca...certification/

Apparently the new NBCC building is also built to LEED Silver standards but I'm not sure if it is actually certified. Other than that I know of no other LEED buildings in Fredericton.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 1:31 PM

Items of note on this month's PAC agenda:

16 unit apartment on college hill: Looks identical to the three beside it. This one sits partly on the DOT land.

Auto repair shop on Bishop: This is directly behind Fredericton Volkswagen.

Also, looks like Isaac's Way will be getting a covered patio.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 4:52 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

I was hoping they would eventually put up a yellow one.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
The Fredericton Convention Centre has been certified LEED Silver: http://www.frederictonconventions.ca...certification/

Apparently the new NBCC building is also built to LEED Silver standards but I'm not sure if it is actually certified. Other than that I know of no other LEED buildings in Fredericton.
I noticed that the Target store has also been certified LEED Silver, saw the sign on the door the other day.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 11:15 AM

Noticed there seems to be some activity at George's Footwear. There's a dumpster outside and there were lights on inside.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Items of note on this month's PAC agenda:

16 unit apartment on college hill: Looks identical to the three beside it. This one sits partly on the DOT land.

Auto repair shop on Bishop: This is directly behind Fredericton Volkswagen.

Also, looks like Isaac's Way will be getting a covered patio.
Hossack Ventures owns Speedy Auto Service on Prospect... looks like they are moving to the new space on Bishop.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Noticed there seems to be some activity at George's Footwear. There's a dumpster outside and there were lights on inside.
There is a bit of a city mural on the glass now. Maybe a fredericton tourism site/office?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
There is a bit of a city mural on the glass now. Maybe a fredericton tourism site/office?
I saw this Tweet from The Blue Door's Twitter feed last week - "4 new eating establishments currently in various states of development on Queen St. #wow"

He mentions the Crepe Place (renovations maybe), the new place in the old Garrison (to be called Vault 29), something at Georges, and a bakery/cafe across the street from Georges (Harley Mallory building I would guess). He also mentions just rumours as of now but it would appear as though the rumours they've heard indicate it's an eating establishment going in at Georges.

Very excited to see what this Vault 29 will look like - that old bank is such a great space.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 8:45 PM

Picaroon's

I should mention, I'm even more excited to see that the renovations have started at the future home of the Picaroon's brewery at Northside end of the walking bridge. Heavy equipment and dumpsters have been there at least a week now. They are gutting the place I'm sure.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 9:55 PM

Hmm, an eatery at Georges? With the new tower going up next to West Point, and potentially another tower across the street from it (and TD Tower 2 going up some decade) that could be good.

I wonder if the food place could get permission to keep/retrofit George's neon sign. It's grandfathered in at the moment, and it would be nice if it could be lit up again but changed to match a new place.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 12:26 AM
New Brunswick booster!

I would love to see the second phase of the TD Tower area built. I wonder if it is still going to be built at all. If it wasn't wouldn't they take the sign down? I would love to look down King Street one day and see that tower standing there some day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces