HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 2:54 AM

They are very nice projects.

And, there will be a new hospital that is not built yet in Corner Brook within two years.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 12:28 PM

New City Hall Building in Corner Brook

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 7:16 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Is there any idea where the hospital might be built. What kind of sites are available?

Re: City hall; I think it is a much needed project as the old one is not really very large or attractive.

Last edited by Architype; Jul 5, 2008 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Is there any ideas where the hospital might be built. What kind of sites are available.

Re: City hall; I think it is a much needed project as the old one is not really very large or attractive.

I might check in with my sister, bro in law and several cousins who work at hospital there. I will provide details here as soon as I get them.

I agree with you about the old city hall building and it is kind of an eyesore to the city.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 10:10 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I think their priority for a new hospital location should be one that can be easily accessed by as many people as possible without the need for transportation, but that might be hard to find.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 4:30 PM

Yesterday I got email from my sister. She said that the government have not released any announcement about a new hospital in Corner Brook and she has not heard any talks or rumors about the new hospital.

However, she said that the a new long-term care (LTC) facility was being built at end of University Drive.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 3:28 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Grenfell's university status will have to wait, minister says

Quote:

Last Updated: Friday, July 11, 2008 | 3:48 PM NT

CBC News

Sir Wilfred Grenfell College on the west coast of Newfoundland, which has been waiting for independence from its parent university for years, will have to wait awhile longer, Education Minister Joan Burke said Friday.

The province had promised the college in Corner Brook, a campus of Memorial University of Newfoundland, that it would become an autonomous university by the fall of 2008

Burke said Friday that will not happen for another year.
Rest of story:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...fell-wait.html

Considering that B.C. (the other West Coast) just created five new universities, making Grenfell autonomous should not be such a large stretch.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 10:48 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

New Deer Lake hotel contruction to begin soon

Quote:
ASHLEY FITZPATRICK
The Western Star

DEER LAKE — Construction on a new Deer Lake hotel is set to begin sometime in the next two weeks.

While the hotel project itself, located on Bennett Avenue, was announced in 2007, the area may now see an additional element added to the mix — changes to local infrastructure.

The hotel construction is being completed by Brooke Enterprises in Corner Brook. The hotel will be a joint project of Pacrim Hospitality Services in Halifax and partner Resource Development Associated of St. John’s. Construction on the hotel is expected to provide work for an estimated 75 workers over a period of roughly one year, with the operating hotel ultimately creating 30 new jobs, according to an environmental assessment report for hotel’s previously proposed location — at the intersection of the TCH and Northern Peninsula highway.
Rest of article here:
http://www.thewesternstar.com/index....d=159465&sc=26

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 12:23 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

More on the Bay of Islands Resort:

Quote:
Bay of Islands Resort may be area’s next hot spot

CORNER BROOK
CHRIS QUIGLEY
The Western Star

Greg Penney is trying to sell his home — just not in the classic sense of the phrase.

Penney is an ardent believer in the natural beauty and allure of his native province and is putting his money where his heart is, so to speak, with the impending construction of the Bay of Islands Resort.

The resort will be located on a bluff overlooking Frenchman’s Cove and the Bay of Islands basin that flows out into the Gulf of St. Lawrence, providing a view that is arguably unmatched anywhere else on the island.

“I started thinking about it two years ago,” said Penney, the sole developer. “With the success of the Humber Valley Resort and seeing all the Europeans coming over, I always thought Europeans would definitely be interested in the ocean. The Humber Valley Resort is absolutely beautiful and they’re on a nice river, but I don’t think there’s any comparison to the ocean.

The first phase of the development will feature one condominium building with 18 one, two or three-bedroom units, as well as 14 chalets in the 1,100-1,300 square-foot range. In the next phase, one-acre lots with larger villas will be offered and, hopefully, more condo buildings will be erected.
Entire article here:
http://www.thewesternstar.com/index....d=154333&sc=26

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 4:24 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

A new residence is being built at Corner Brook's Grenfell College:

Quote:
CORNER BROOK — Site preparation for a new residence building at Sir Wilfred Grenfell College is nearly complete, but the exact scope of the construction phase is still in the works.

The new structure was announced as part of the 2007 provincial budget and the contract for site work was awarded to West Coast Excavating late this past spring, with work commencing shortly thereafter in early June.

The approved provincial government funding for the project was $6.6 million, but the college has requested an additional $4 million to complete the building.

Dennis Waterman, Sir Wilfred Grenfell College’s director of administration and finance, hopes to hear back from the province regarding the request for additional funding in the coming weeks. He said rising construction costs and a desire to expand the residence from an 80-bed facility to one that has 110 beds are the reasons behind the request.

The new residence will be a concrete and steel structure, but its design will be in line with the wooden chalets next to it.

“We are trying to retain somewhat of the alpine chalet concept we have with the other chalets,” said Waterman. “Some of the roof lines, for instance, complement the existing chalets.”

The three-storey building will be mainly a dormitory-style with a series of two-bed units, but each floor will also feature four-bedroom, apartment-style units like those found in the chalets.

One of the floors will also contain facilities capable of hosting conferences and small meetings.
Article here:
http://www.thewesternstar.com/index....d=160822&sc=23

Photo:
http://www.thewesternstar.com/photos...idence%201.jpg

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 4:26 PM

Quote:

Entire article here:
Thank you very much for posting this link here. I know Greg Penney personally thru my father. His father and my father are friends. Greg, who owns and runs the Penney Studio on Broadway, owns about 70 acres of land in Frenchman's Cove and he will use some of these acres to build the new resort. My father and I had a phone conversation and I brought this issue up with him. He was well aware of Greg's ambitious plan and contrary to the article about number of units, he said Greg was going to build 17 units. My father said he would buy one of them only if the price is right. I encouraged him to do so because the location was perfect for him to enjoy viewing Bay of Islands especially Woods Island where he was born and grew up.

I can tell you that Greg is a smart and astute businessman who is capable of making things possible in his favor.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 4:30 PM

Quote:
A new residence is being built at Corner Brook's Grenfell College:

Article here:
http://www.thewesternstar.com/index....d=160822&sc=23

Photo:
http://www.thewesternstar.com/photos...idence%201.jpg
It is long overdue because the old dorms have been in somewhat dire shape for a long time.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 2:47 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Housing Market

Corner Brook short on rental properties

Quote:
Last Updated: Thursday, August 28, 2008 CBC News

People looking for rental properties in Corner Brook could be out of luck, as many rental homes are coming off the market in what is being described as a hot housing market.

Anna Russell-Mercier, co-ordinator for off-campus housing for students at Sir Wilfred Grenfell College, told CBC News rental spots in the west coast city are getting harder to find because of the hot housing market.

Corner Brook, a city of about 24,000 people, welcomes 1,350 students to its Sir Wilfred Grenfell College every year.
Rest of article here:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...ousing-cb.html

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 2:54 PM

Last evening I returned home from my family vacation in Bay of Islands.

The new Long-Term Care facility is about half from the completion.

The construction of new dormitory complex at SWGC was recently started and it was not far from the LTC facility.

The new law and court building is still constructed at this moment. I have not had a chance to go closer to the site for second look.

I should took some pictures of these sites when I had a chance.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Corner Brook short on rental properties

Rest of article here:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...ousing-cb.html
Yeah, the vacancy rate in rental units in Corner Brook is 0.2%. It is something that never happened to the city until now.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 3:02 PM

Quote:

Entire article here:
I had a chat with my father about it when I was home. I asked him for additional information on that resort. He told me that the price of a 700-sq ft one bedroom condominium cost $169,000 and we agreed it was too much for too small size.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 3:10 PM

Humber Valley Resort gets protection from creditors

http://www.thewesternstar.com/index....d=168661&sc=23

Old Posted Oct 21, 2008, 4:25 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...sort-sale.html

Quote:

Humber Valley chalets hit the market
Last Updated: Monday, October 20, 2008 | 1:12 PM NT Comments8Recommend49
CBC News

"For Sale" signs have been posted on almost a dozen chalets at a troubled high-end golf resort on Newfoundland's west coast, one month after the company that built the site was granted protection from creditors.

Humber Valley Resort Corp., owned by Newfound NV, announced in August it had been losing money for several years and would no longer run a hotel and tourism operation at the site, which also has separate properties bought up by individuals.

The company said it would also end the practice of helping those individual owners rent out their properties, instead leaving them responsible for their luxury chalets .

Now the chalet owners are trying to sell their properties for hundreds of thousands less than they paid.

Realtor Gary Bishop told CBC News that there are chalets on the market now for $390,000 and up that were selling for at least $750,000 in 2007.

"The big concern of course is who is going to provide the services such as the snow clearing, the water and so on," Bishop said. "I guess the owners that have come forward and listed with local real estate have tried the resort and I guess are dissatisfied with that service. And they have some reservations of their performance to date, so they're trying other avenues to try and sell their property."

Humber Valley Resort sought protection in the Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador in September after a review of its finances and contractual commitments.

Newfound NV had offered chartered flights from Britain to nearby Deer Lake airport, giving European tourists easy access to the luxury resort, but the company announced those flights would also be affected by cutbacks.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 5:22 PM

http://www.thewesternstar.com/index....d=198221&sc=23

Quote:
State of vacant building concerns residents print this article

CORNER BROOK
GARY KEAN
The Western Star

This photo shows the roof top of the old W.I. Hann Building on Caribou Road that is partially covered with plastic that’s coming loose and blowing off, and an area of the building’s sunken roof. — Star Photo by Geraldine Brophy
This photo shows the roof top of the old W.I. Hann Building on Caribou Road that is partially covered with plastic that’s coming loose and blowing off, and an area of the building’s sunken roof. — Star Photo by Geraldine Brophy

It looks like residents concerned about the state of the former W.I. Hann Building on Caribou Road may get their wish, eventually.

A couple of area residents contacted The Western Star recently about the vacant building, which was built in 1946 but has fallen into disrepair in recent years.

Gloria Hurley, who lives right next door to the building, was actually the subject of a story The Western Star ran back in April 2005 when a vicious windstorm tore parts of the building’s roof off and caused damages to her property. The damages cost the Hurleys about $30,000 in replaced windows, doors, roof and siding.

When the wind howls now, Hurley is still on edge. She said scraps of tarred paper and plastic, not to mention the strapping holding the plastic down, become airborne from the roof when it gets gusty and she said it can be more of a problem than just a mess in her yard.

“My grandchildren were here last winter and it’s not very nice for them to be out there in our yard playing when it gets windy, let alone ourselves being out there,” said Hurley.

Her neighbour Jean Peddle agrees. In fact, she called the police and the radio station on one particularly windy day, urging people to beware of walking through the neighbourhood.

“It (roofing material) comes off in great big chunks and, if it ever hit anybody, it could kill them,” said Peddle.

Peddle’s back deck up the hill on Poplar Road offers a good vantage point to see the condition of the building’s sunken roof. She said a strong wind blowing through the tattered roof can be quite a racket.

“It sounds like a jet plane taking off,” she said.

Hurley, meanwhile, said it’s hard for her to enjoy her back deck, especially on warm days, because of an odour of mould and mildew emanating from the building. Water dripping from the ceiling is evident from peeping through one of the ground level windows.

With the roof and leaks, Hurley is afraid the structural integrity of the building may already be compromised.

“It needs to be condemned,” said Hurley, who noted she has complained about the building to the City of Corner Brook several times but nothing has ever been done with it.

Mayor Charles Pender said the issue has never come to his attention, but sent a City official to check the building out last week after being contacted by The Western Star. On Thursday, the mayor said a preliminary external check of the building did not reveal any imminent hazard and that the City would be contacting the building’s owners so a more thorough inspection of the structure can be done.

The owners of the building, Keith and Joy Doyle of Little Rapids, told The Western Star Saturday of their plans for the building.

“The building is not being used right now and we do have plans to get a demolition permit from the City and to tear that building down, but we don’t have any committed timeframe for that,” said Joy Doyle. “It probably won’t be for another couple of years. It all depends on our plans for the property.”
It is another eyesore in the city that has to go.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 5:24 PM

Boston Pizza still wants to deliver Corner Brook franchise

http://thewesternstar.com/index.cfm?sid=212294&sc=26

Quote:

Boston Pizza still wants to deliver Corner Brook franchise print this article

CORNER BROOK
GARY KEAN
The Western Star

The Boston Pizza restaurant chain still has its eye on the Corner Brook market and land, like this available parcel in the Murphy Square area. — Star Photo by Geraldine Brophy
The Boston Pizza restaurant chain still has its eye on the Corner Brook market and land, like this available parcel in the Murphy Square area. — Star Photo by Geraldine Brophy

The proprietors of the Boston Pizza franchise say they are still interested in coming to Corner Brook, but feel some local ownership is a key ingredient to the mix.

The Western Star first reported on the restaurant chain’s interest in setting up shop in Corner Brook in October 2007.

Though there are still no concrete plans, the fast-growing company, which now has more than 300 restaurants across Canada and opened 25 new eateries in the last year alone, wants to include Corner Brook in its growth strategy.

Boston Pizza has two successful franchises in St. John’s.

“We have identified Corner Brook as a market we very much want to be in,” George Heos, Boston Pizza’s vice-president for franchise development, said from his Mississauga, Ont. office.

“We are in the process right now of looking for a franchisee. We do have some interest from various individuals, but we really want to have a local ownership group, or at least some of the group having local ties to the community. We find that our most successful restaurants are ones where the franchisees completely understand the market and know the people.”

Setting up a Boston Pizza restaurant is not a cheap enterprise. According to www.bostonpizza.com, prospective franchisees in Eastern Canada must pay an initial franchise fee of $60,000, plus there’s a total start-up cost of between $1.6 million and $3 million, depending on the size of the restaurant, its location and the development structure.

The potential franchisee or investor group should also have a minimum of $600,000 cash to invest.

According to the October 2007 story in The Western Star, a Boston Pizza operation in Corner Brook could lead to employment for about 100 full-time and part-time employees and inject more than $600,000 worth of new payroll into the economy. The construction project would cost more than $1.5 million. The prototypical family restaurant and sports bar would seat about 200, with a patio accommodating a further 60 to 80 patrons.

Boston Pizza has spoken with some interested local parties, but nothing has been ironed out yet. Heos said finding the right elements for a successful ownership group can be like finding a needle in a haystack, especially in smaller markets such as Corner Brook.

“Corner Brook is a market we very much believe in and we’re going to keep looking,” said Heos. “At some point, we’ll find the right group who will be the right franchisees for that market.”

The restaurant chain has been eyeing a couple of sites in the Murphy Square area as prime locations.

Last summer, J.D. Irving Ltd. — which owns the Kent building supply outlet in Murphy Square — issued a public notice of a proposal to build a restaurant on a parcel of land adjacent to the hardware store, though it would not offer any details about the restaurant being proposed for the area.

A sign currently posted on the property indicates the land is “for sale or development.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces