HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 8:23 PM
ハルウララ

I'm really glad to be seeing that section of Millidgeville being developed. That area has infilled pretty well the last few years.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 1:53 AM

50 Jobs Added At Air Canada Call Centre In Millidgeville

CHSJ News
April 14/2014
http://country94news.blogspot.ca/201...nada-call.html

A big boost for the contact industry in the city with up to 50 new full-time jobs being added to the Air Canada call centre in Millidgeville by this summer with recruitment beginning now.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WharfRat View Post
CHSJ News
April 14/2014
http://country94news.blogspot.ca/201...nada-call.html

A big boost for the contact industry in the city with up to 50 new full-time jobs being added to the Air Canada call centre in Millidgeville by this summer with recruitment beginning now.
Any new jobs are good - but this was is kind of deceiving. When the call centre got up and running it had over 400 agents, then Air Canada scaled it back several times (literally moving an internal wall inward to make centre smaller) until there was only approx 175-200 agents. So I fail to see 50 jobs as "new", maybe newly subsidized.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 10:27 PM

Regional Hospital To Get 3T MRI Scanner Soon

The first hospital-based 3T MRI scanner in Atlantic Canada will be installed at the Regional Hospital during the spring.

The Saint John Regional Hospital Foundation announcing it will fundraise and donate $1.5 million to the project.

The 3T scanner can capture faster, more detailed images.
It's estimated the 3T scanner will increase patient output by 20 per cent and result in reduced wait times for MRI patients.

http://country94news.blogspot.ca/201...i-scanner.html

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 3:15 PM

I noticed yesterday that excavation work was happening between Woodward Avenue and Boars Head Road in Millidgeville. I assume that this is the start of the new Bell Data Center.

Also seems like progress is moving along quite well for the new YMCA.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 2:32 AM

How do the logo's stack up? Halifax is rebranding

Last edited by MountPleasant; Apr 24, 2014 at 6:17 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountPleasant View Post
How do the logo's stack up? Halifax is rebranding

I definitely prefer Saint John's logo to that of Halifax's new logo.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 10:47 AM

Google has added new Street view for Saint John from May 2013. Plus they have the time machine function. In some intersections I can find as many as 4 options.

Use the small clock in the upper left under the address.
http://youtu.be/lvH3rtFMa9o
The option does not seam available on Mobile version.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 2:27 PM

Hopefully this news will pick up some discussion in the SJ threads.....Good expansions news from the port today.

http://www.sjport.com/assets/Uploads...Saint-John.pdf

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 11:15 PM
Spem Reduxit

This is encouraging news...maybe our government (Federal / Provincial) will keep poking at the US / Maine governments to place the East West highway project back on the agenda. It would be a win win situation for both.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw78 View Post
Hopefully this news will pick up some discussion in the SJ threads.....Good expansions news from the port today.

http://www.sjport.com/assets/Uploads...Saint-John.pdf
This IS very exciting news. These container ships bring in a MASSIVE volume, seeing the schedule increased so much will mean a very large increase in the quantity. Definitely good for the city and the region.

Lots of good news around the city these days.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 3:30 PM
Spem Reduxit

The reworking of the port entrance (west side) has been picking up steam over the last week. I believe this was announced several months ago by the Feds. There has been some clearing across the road from the former HB Authority building and it looks like the power lines are about to be moved. Getting ready for the increase in truck traffic as stated above.

With all that, I hope they fix the off ramp's multiple potholes/cracks when coming from Market Place onto Harbour Bridge.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 3:44 PM
Spem Reduxit

I drove by Crosby's today and noticed they were undergoing a renovation/expansion. I don't remember reading about this on the forum. It looks as if they are connecting the two existing buildings together. Maybe molasses is the new antioxidant

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk then Run View Post
I drove by Crosby's today and noticed they were undergoing a renovation/expansion. I don't remember reading about this on the forum. It looks as if they are connecting the two existing buildings together. Maybe molasses is the new antioxidant
They have a newer boiler that they were installing which meant they had to move the old one out and revamp a few things to make room for the newer one. This is the small addition on the front closest to the silo. They also tore down the small corridor that linked the office/production facility to the wharehouse. This is the larger expansion in the middle which will once again join the two buildings only this time much larger and more useful. Molasses is a very versatile product and they have over the years produced or packaged other non-molasses products. Here's to their continued success.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Prince William Street could become pedestrian-only walkway
Saint John council will consider proposal to temporarily close street to vehicles as pilot project

May 5, 2014
CBC
Saint John council will hear recommendations on Monday about potentially taking cars off an uptown street, turning it into pedestrian walkway in a bid to increase business in the area.

Uptown Saint John, the business association tasked with researching the idea last fall, will suggest temporarily closing Prince William Street as a pilot project, said spokesperson Anne McShane.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...kway-1.2632176

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 6:23 AM

Also just read the TJ article on the same subject. The headline makes it sound as if Prince William would be closed for all traffic all the time, while the content then says it could be closed on a trial basis only on weekends with special events. Gotta love the TJ

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 12:58 PM

There's virtually no traffic on Prince William on the weekends anyway (I know this first hand as a former resident), so designating it as pedestrian only is hardly a monumental change. The block between Princess and King is probably one of the quietest streets in terms of car volume Uptown.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 2:33 PM

Crosby's have a new contract for making products for another company.
This is a huge contract and they are in the process of upgrading their production line to accomodate this. No government money.....this is why you haven't heard much.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 12:41 PM

Great news concerning Crosby's, the airport and Prince William st.

I have always rooted for the highway through Maine. It would naturally push our hotel numbers up and tourism in general as well as make it easier to do business.. Maybe in some way it could make up for us not being on the Trans Canada

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 12:56 PM

Little know fact about the airport and why we don't get WestJet and Porter.
The single biggest reason is that Saint John airport doesn't have central lighting.
This is very important when flights need to deal with fog and other weather conditions.
Even some aircanada pilots refuse to fly here because of this.
We almost got it on the table but the great minds on the board decided in their wisdom we needed a 1.2 million dollar scanner. You know the one you step into and put your hands up? Just what we need!
Leadership is lacking at this airport and it is holding back growth.
I fly to many airports every month and use this airport weekly. Very dissapointing indeed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces