HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 8:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
What about the houses across the street? The area is designated HC also?
Yep; just preparing for the future I guess……….

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 7:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

from today's T&T:

New Champlain school set to be built by 2016
Thursday, March 13, 2014
Times & Transcript
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=12536

A new École Champlain will be built in the next 2 1/2 years.

The Francophone South district education council made the decision official at its regular monthly meeting Tuesday night.

Members voted unanimously to recommend the Education Department build a new school by 2016, while also work to improve air quality around the current school until students and staff can move into the new building.

In early February,as part of the provincial government’s 2014-15 capital budget, the education department earmarked $99 million for school maintenance and upgrades.

This funding includes money for planning related to École Champlain, and although the exact amount of money set aside is not yet known, Education Minister Marie-Claude Blais said the process,including drafting blueprints and buying land if necessary, usually costs between $2 million and $2.5 million.

The school was built in 1969 at 211 Mill Rd., between Mill Road and MacAleese Lane, in the middle of an industrial park and has had recurring troubles with odours, which have been interfering with daily activities and leading parents and staff to question the air quality and potential health problems at the school.

The new school would expand to accommodate 800 students in kindergarten to Grade 8 (with a separate middle school section), and would be located in the same catchment area as the current school. The school will open in September 2016.

The decision was made will the input of parents and community members,as per the Education Department’s Policy 409.

Personal note - This announcement seems a little precipitous. The new Ecole Champlain may be the first priority of the Francophone Sud DEC, but it is usually up to the province to actually announce new construction projects……

Regardless, I have no doubt that this project will be approved by the province. It is a hot button issue involving a target demographic in an election year. The school should probably be moved. It should never have been built in an industrial area in the first place…….

It's just a little sad however. The current Ecole Champlain isn't that old really, and there are a number of other schools in the metro area which probably are in greater need of replacing than this. Hillcrest, Beaverbrook and Sunny Brea certainly come to mind. These schools are small, and are not able to compete with larger and more modern schools in terms of amenities. An important issue with Beaverbrook is that it is right on Mountain Road, which probably isn't appropriate, especially since it is a K-8 school.

Hopefully these schools won't be ignored the next time around……..

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 10:29 PM
Spem Reduxit

First Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Yep; just preparing for the future I guess……….

Long time follower, finally posting I know a couple who own a residential building on the Highway Commercial zoning posted by MonctonRad. I was talking to them last night and they haven't yet been approached by any interested buyers recently, but they did say that in the mid to late 90's the city did come sniffing around.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 7:01 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk then Run View Post
Long time follower
Welcome to the forum, Walk then Run! Let me know if you have any questions.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 2:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I see that the renovations to the new format version are complete at the Tim Horton's at the corner of Elmwood and Mill Rd.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 3:00 PM

Quote:
I see that the renovations to the new format version are complete at the Tim Horton's at the corner of Elmwood and Mill Rd.
Yeah, they were finished a while ago, didn't take long at all.

Plus one more eyesore is now gone from the area. The old dilapidated building (I believed it was the first Fabricville) at the Elmwood/McLaughlin juncture, has now been demolished.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 10:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Looks like a major re-think of the proposed Tier Too development at the corner of Elmwood Drive and Flemming Street.

These images are from the agenda for the April meeting of the Moncton PAC:

The site plan now shows a single strip with three CRU's at the back of the property, and a standalone Starbuck's at the front. This is a significant reduction in the number of retail units available, but the individual units are now larger in size, with the largest unit measuring 10,290 sq ft. This is probably a better site plan - it seems less cluttered…….

The Starbucks looks very similar to the standalone unit in the Lounsbury's Centre parking lot on Mountain Road.

I guess it's official - this will be Moncton's sixth Starbuck's

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 2:23 AM

Changing the plan from multiple smaller units to a few large one might suggest that they already have larger tenants lined up for this space. There also doesn't seem to be any space fit for a PitaPit size wise. I wonder if that fell through.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 2:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Changing the plan from multiple smaller units to a few large one might suggest that they already have larger tenants lined up for this space. There also doesn't seem to be any space fit for a PitaPit size wise. I wonder if that fell through.
Indeed. I suspect you are correct. In a T&T article about this development about a month ago, the backers said they were in negotiation with banks, a dollar store and a physiotherapy clinic.

The largest CRU (slightly greater than 10,000 sq ft) could easily be a dollar store. The smaller units could be a suburban bank branch and a physio clinic.

I imagine that you are correct about Pita Pit too. Pita Pit has their existing locations at 1909 Mountain Rd and at Champlain/Dieppe Blvds, and have announced new locations in Champlain Plaza Phase 2 and in the Findlay Park area of Riverview. That would make four locations in the metro area. Perhaps they are worried about saturating the market too quickly……...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 12:48 AM

Quote:
I imagine that you are correct about Pita Pit too. Pita Pit has their existing locations at 1909 Mountain Rd and at Champlain/Dieppe Blvds, and have announced new locations in Champlain Plaza Phase 2 and in the Findlay Park area of Riverview. That would make four locations in the metro area. Perhaps they are worried about saturating the market too quickly……...
Yes, they are best to avoid the Goji's model of new business expansion and of the potential locations you mentioned, the Elmwood one is the one I would have cut as well.

The dollar store is surprising, isn't there one already in the old BlockBuster strip? Hopefully this development and the nearby new apartment complex will breath some life into this neighborhood. Tiny steps in the right direction I guess.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 2:12 PM

Seriously...what is the fascination with Pita Pit's?? I just don't get it?

Having a Starbucks on Elmwood is definitely a welcome addition, especially almost across from Tim's.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 2:53 PM

People just love huge franchises.. I don't understand either, I would be more excited about a new locally owned restaurant then another fast food, or large chain place.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
There is a three storey apartment building planned for 39 Redmond Street (essentially right across from the Shoppers Drug Mart at the Morton/Elmwood intersection).

The building will be 32 units (17 one bedroom and 15 bachelors). I presume it will be marketed to UdeM students…….
The houses on the corner have now been torn down. Hopefully this project gets started soon!

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 3:11 PM

Passed by the old Dewares earlier and it's being torn down today.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 1:14 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Cobalt Properties (Irving) has a plan to add a drive-thru pad to their property on the SE corner of Elmwood and Mill Rd.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 11:54 AM

Another coffee shop?

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 6:59 PM

I hope not. With Tims and a proposed Starbucks on two of the other sides of the intersection, The owners would be insane. I hope it's a new Subway to replace the one in the convenience store at the corner of Morton and McLaughlin.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 9:21 PM

Do they have drive thru Subways?

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Yup, there is one in Summerside & Charlottetown on the Island.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 9:59 PM

Quote:
There is one in Dieppe as well. The Regis St location has a drive thru

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces