HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 12:12 AM

While this is a relic of the streetcar loop, it served a further purpose until December 1973 when the Bank and Grove bus station was in service.

While there are probably more pros than cons, it is not absolute.

pros

A more direct route from Carleton University to Bank Street

Eliminates buses turning at a non-signaled intersection (Bank and Grove) which can cause delays.

Cons

The Bank and Grove intersection offered easy transfers. That is not the case at Bank and Sunnyside where buses have to enter a left hand turn lane and bus stops can't be located right at the intersection.

This is big one. If we were ever to consider a subway on Bank Street, the current routing would facilitate a shuttle route between Bank and Carleton University so that buses could easily loop back to the university. Once we remove service from Seneca and Grove, returning service later will be very difficult.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
The Bank and Grove intersection offered easy transfers. That is not the case at Bank and Sunnyside where buses have to enter a left hand turn lane and bus stops can't be located right at the intersection.

This is big one. If we were ever to consider a subway on Bank Street, the current routing would facilitate a shuttle route between Bank and Carleton University so that buses could easily loop back to the university. Once we remove service from Seneca and Grove, returning service later will be very difficult.
Not sure I understand your first point. What transfers are being made at Grove that can’t be made at Sunnyside?

As for the loop idea, a Carleton shuttle seems a long way off, so it doesn’t really make sense to plan a route based on something that might happen that far down the road. It’s not like they are doing anything that would make a future loop impossible.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Not sure I understand your first point. What transfers are being made at Grove that can’t be made at Sunnyside?

As for the loop idea, a Carleton shuttle seems a long way off, so it doesn’t really make sense to plan a route based on something that might happen that far down the road. It’s not like they are doing anything that would make a future loop impossible.
I used to transfer at Grove fairly often. Both stops were right at the intersection. At Sunnyside, where are the stops going to be located? It is all relative, but the trend is towards making transfers less convenient than in the past ie longer walks. It is not that it is impossible to make the transfer, but how distant will the stops be between the 6 and 7 and will the rider have to cross a traffic signal in the process.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 1:37 AM

Quote:
I used to transfer at Grove fairly often. Both stops were right at the intersection. At Sunnyside, where are the stops going to be located? It is all relative, but the trend is towards making transfers less convenient than in the past ie longer walks. It is not that it is impossible to make the transfer, but how distant will the stops be between the 6 and 7 and will the rider have to cross a traffic signal in the process.
Right, I think I see what you mean. If you are going from the NB 6 to the SB 7 (towards Carleton) or the NB 7 to the SB 6. I don’t think there are a lot of restrictions in terms of configuration at that intersection, but to maintain reasonable stop spacing I think there would be a walk of a block or so in those cases.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 5:12 PM

Quote:
If congestion and frequent signals already slow traffic naturally, why is a reduced speed limit necessary? This baffles me. We impose 30 kph on major bus routes, to do what?
To make the community associations go away.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 5:16 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't depend on the use of articulated buses to solve schedule adherence problems.
I wouldn't depend on them to solve the problems, either. However, I would use them as a method of mitigating the problem, rather than making it worse by running too many trips on short buses.

Quote:
That is not the solution.
Correct, it isn't the solution, because there is no singular solution, but mitigating the problem by not using buses that compound and contribute to the problem would be nice.

Quote:
In any event, I would rather have increased frequency over an articulated bus any day. Then schedule adherence is less of a problem if the buses on average come closer together.
The frequency is only actually increased if there are also measures taken to reduce brigading. And that's something else OC Transpo has zero interest in doing.

Quote:
By the way, when are you buying your bike? The city wants you to ride a bike.
Yes, the city wants other people to ride bikes.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
You really think these reduced speed limits are slowing down busses? Maybe when they wander down quiet residential streets clogged with traffic calming but the solution to that seems to re-route them to major streets rather than remove calming.
I don't know about reduced speed limits, but other "traffic calming" measures that have been unwisely applied to streets that are bus routes absolutely have impacted the bus service along those routes. The 6, for example, often has to zigzag into the oncoming lane to navigate the "calming" on portions of its route, which means slower running of its route.

OC Transpo fixates on far-siding stops, supposedly to save a few tens of seconds here and there and routes which run along stroads, only to go along with "traffic calming" that steals the same amount of time, or more, elsewhere in the network, or even on the same route. Do not understand.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 5:22 PM

Quote:
The Bank and Grove intersection offered easy transfers.
OC Transpo refuses to believe that people ever transfer from one bus to another anywhere other than at LRT or Transitway stations.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 4:13 PM

OC Transpo Customer Satisfaction Survey

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
Did my bit but not holding my breath though…

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 7:43 PM

April Fools joke from OC. I kind of like these. Maybe they should sell them and recoup a minuscule fraction of the money they won't get from the Province of Feds.

Quote:
OC Transpo is excited to announce the pre-sale of our Ugly Holiday Sweater!
A limited number are available, pre-order yours today by visiting our website: https://octranspo.com/en/news/articl...eater-pre-sale

8:01 AM · Apr 1, 2023
22.3K Views
https://twitter.com/OC_Transpo/statu...nehFq29mQ&s=19

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 9:58 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
April Fools joke from OC. I kind of like these. Maybe they should sell them and recoup a minuscule fraction of the money they won't get from the Province of Feds.

https://twitter.com/OC_Transpo/statu...nehFq29mQ&s=19
Why stop there? Stitch an RFID tag into the sleeve and the sweater becomes a Presto pass

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Why stop there? Stitch an RFID tag into the sleeve and the sweater becomes a Presto pass

TransLink recently had keychains that doubled as a Compass Pass. There are so many opportunities!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

TransLink recently had keychains that doubled as a Compass Pass. There are so many opportunities!
They also have/had wristbands. They were free with a $6 deposit (like the Compass Card itself).

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 3:05 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Transit reserves likely won't cover OC Transpo shortfall for 2023
Ottawa needs $39M for transit this year, but has just $9M left in transit reserve

Kate Porter · CBC News
Posted: Apr 10, 2023 4:00 AM EDT | Last Updated: April 10

The City of Ottawa had to cover a $29.3-million deficit for 2022 and doesn't have enough left in its transit reserve fund for the big shortfall expected at OC Transpo this year.

At last week's finance and corporate services committee — where staff presented the report with final results for last year — a few councillors raised concerns about how staff intend to deal with the latest financial juggling act at OC Transpo.

Council passed a budget on March 1 based on receiving $39 million from the Ontario and federal governments for operating costs.

Since then, both governments' budgets have been tabled. Neither has operating funds for municipal transit systems.

And yet, staff explained that by the end of 2023, the transit reserve is forecast to have a balance of just $8.9 million.

"We do not have enough reserves to cover that hole," noted Kitchissippi Coun. Jeff Leiper, who asked staff for its backup plan.

Cyril Rogers, the city's acting chief financial officer, told him they would review capital programs and be careful with hiring.

OC Transpo general manager Renée Amilcar said the transit agency would increase marketing to attract customers and aim to improve bus reliability to keep existing ones.
A pandemic problem

Since the COVID-19 pandemic hit three years ago, the transit department has posed the biggest budgeting difficulties for the city.

Ridership has only recovered to about two-thirds of its 2019 numbers, as people continue to work from home or only commute a few days a week.

The city had received bad news last fall, when provincial grants didn't quite cover their costs. The city had to take $25 million out of the transit reserve, dropping the balance to just $1.2 million at the outset of 2023.

The pain was alleviated a little bit two weeks ago when the city learned it would receive an extra $7.4 million because other communities didn't use up their own allocations.

That overall transit funding gap from 2022 wasn't the only struggle for the City of Ottawa last year, however. Overall, it had to cover off a loss, compared to having a surplus the year before.

The City of Ottawa spent $18.8 million responding to the May 21 derecho wind storm, which knocked out power to 180,000 customers for days and caused a lengthy cleanup of downed trees.

The city has not been reimbursed for those costs.

Municipal costs related to the truck convoy protest have been pegged at $6.7 million, a figure that includes $2.2 million for the city's response and $4.5 million for foregone transit revenue while trucks occupied the downtown.

Reimbursement money in the recent federal budget might cover only a third of that, Rogers suggested to committee.

Meanwhile, the city was $5.2 million short when it came to running the wastewater system, which is paid by water bills.

All those shortfalls were somewhat offset by higher than expected revenues or savings, especially in the recreation department, as people returned to city programs faster than expected after pandemic restrictions lifted.

The Ottawa Police Service posted a $1 million surplus, while the Ottawa Public Library was $4.6 million in the black at the end of 2022.

At the end of the day, however, Rogers assured councillors that the city didn't have to use as much from the tax stabilization reserve as expected last year and that "overall, the reserves were in a good balance."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...2022-1.6800696

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 7:05 PM

OC Transpo launches bus route review and public consultation process

https://ottawa.citynews.ca/2023/04/1...ation-process/

Quote:
OC Transpo is starting a comprehensive review of its bus routes and services, aiming to optimize the system and respond to changing needs and trends in transportation. The review will include consultations with various stakeholders, including transit customers, Councillors, customer advocacy groups, major employers, and OC Transpo employees.

According to a memo sent to the Mayor and Members of Council, the review is part of the ongoing City service reviews being coordinated by the Service Review Working Group. The review also responds to the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on transit ridership, as well as the upcoming opening of the Stage 2 O-Train extensions.

The memo states that “OC Transpo will be able to optimize routes to support residents’ changing transit needs, while also responding to new realities, such as hybrid work, and to make policy recommendations to Council, if required.” The review will be conducted by a core project team, supported by Dillon Consulting, a firm prequalified for this type of work through the City’s standing offer list.

The public consultation process will start at the end of April, with the launch of a dedicated webpage and survey on OCTranspo.com.

The webpage will provide additional information about the route review, and the survey will be the first opportunity for customers to provide input on how they use Ottawa’s transit system and what they want the future of transit in Ottawa to look like.

In addition to the online survey, there will be public consultations held in various locations across the city in the coming months.

The City invites all residents to participate in the review and provide their feedback on the future of transit in Ottawa.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 7:33 PM

Am I missing something, or are we engaging a firm that has no particular expertise in transit route design? From what I can tell, Dillon consulting is a local firm that does EAs and designs infrastructure.

"Dillon provides planning and design services for bridges, highways and railways across Canada. With the maturation of much of the public transportation system, timely maintenance and rehabilitation of existing facilities has become an increasingly important area of practice.

Our services include:

Bridge design, bridge inspection, and condition assessments
Collector/regional and highway design and contract administration
Environmental assessments for transportation infrastructure projects
Rail and transit projects"

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Am I missing something, or are we engaging a firm that has no particular expertise in transit route design? From what I can tell, Dillon consulting is a local firm that does EAs and designs infrastructure.

"Dillon provides planning and design services for bridges, highways and railways across Canada. With the maturation of much of the public transportation system, timely maintenance and rehabilitation of existing facilities has become an increasingly important area of practice.

Our services include:

Bridge design, bridge inspection, and condition assessments
Collector/regional and highway design and contract administration
Environmental assessments for transportation infrastructure projects
Rail and transit projects"
No, staff at Dillon do have experience with route design. I know Ian Borsuk, for example, is in the Ottawa office and has extensive experience.

*Edit - if you search him on Dillon's website, it leads you to a service review project they did in Winsor, ON:
https://www.dillon.ca/projects/proje...w---windsor-on

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
No, staff at Dillon do have experience with route design. I know Ian Borsuk, for example, is in the Ottawa office and has extensive experience.

*Edit - if you search him on Dillon's website, it leads you to a service review project they did in Winsor, ON:
https://www.dillon.ca/projects/proje...w---windsor-on
That's a bit comforting. But it does seem to be a small part of their business. Do they have experience in major cities? Any track record of increasing ridership?

I did the search and his bio seems heavy on traffic engineering.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 8:37 PM

Quote:
That's a bit comforting. But it does seem to be a small part of their business. Do they have experience in major cities? Any track record of increasing ridership?

I did the search and his bio seems heavy on traffic engineering.
Fair - I'm not sure.

One thing to note is that it's fairly difficult to get experience with large cities because most large transit agencies will do the majority of their route adjustments internally. I'm just encouraged OC has hired outside expertise at-all.

I too, would have preferred a more international transit focused firm like Jarret Walker and Associates, but what can you do

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation