HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 7:43 PM

5 Cent Apple Vending Machine

Last edited by tovangar2; Jul 3, 2015 at 5:30 PM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 8:27 PM

Mary Andrews Clark Memorial Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rycroft View Post
The building behind the bungalows is the Mary Andrews Clark Memorial Home located at 306-336 S. Dr. Loma off of 3rd street in LA. Columbia Ave is just below Loma. Here is a link to a photo of the front of the building, which still stands today. http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Andrews_Clark_Memorial_Home
Thx so much for the info Rycoft and to e_r too for the photo. I always wondered when the Clark Residences lost their towers. Does anyone know? It's too bad they lost the lovely top-floor arbor along the back too.

wiki

usc digital achive

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 10:50 PM

Monkey Island

There was a discussion over the summer concerning the exact location of Monkey Island that I am not sure
was ever completely resolved. Anyway, here are the aerial photos of the area:

1948:

historicaerials.com

2004:

historicaerials.com

In the 1948 photo, you can see the two hills, connected by a foot bridge (I guess paw bridge in this case).

see below

laist.com

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horthos View Post
Well, heres the story on that.

Apparently, that lot next to the Alexandria is the potential home to a new market/parking/apartment structure. Its not official yet, but I have been hearing about it for awhile now. As for a park, we are getting a small park up between the El Dorado and Rowan, just north of 5th street on the east side, but that seems to be taking forever to get finished...

Here is a link to a story that mentions the potential market/parking/apartment structure...

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/d...tml?mode=story

It actually doesnt look too too bad, for a modern building that is.
I can't agree Horthos, I think the proposed building is appalling.

I don't know why developer Joseph Heller's so keen to fill the "void" (as he calls it in the LA DownTown News article you linked). I like the void. There's already parking under it anyway. Plus closing off the rear access to the Academy, Cameo & Roxie theaters (which he also owns, along with the Arcade Building) is a crime against their future use. And the Alexandria will lose five floors of their south-facade windows if the Hellen monster is built.

The guy's not even an Angeleno. He lives in Australia for pete's sake.

The developers wrecked Bunker Hill and now they think it's the Historic Core's turn.

P.S. I applied to the Alexandria once. They wouldn't take me. Dunno if I'm too noir or not noir enough. I still love the building though.

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 2, 2012 at 12:56 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 12:54 AM
Closed account

Mr. Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
I can't agree Horthos, I think the proposed building is appalling.

I applied to the Alexandria once. They wouldn't take me. Dunno if I'm too noir or not noir enough. I still love the building though.

You're probably way too noir. That would be my guess.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 12:59 AM

Makes me sick to my stomach seeing a once popular moving cinema into a ghetto clothes store.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 1:29 AM

Nope, it's not 1939 and it never will be again...even with the current downtown restoration trend.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 1:35 AM

T-Men (1947)

T-Man Dennis O'Keefe is walking down Ferguson Alley from Alameda:

T-Men (1947), Eagle-Lion Films

ethereal_reality posted this picture almost two years ago. This is the other end of Ferguson Alley where it comes out on Los Angeles Street next to Jerry's Joynt.

USC Digital Archive

O'Keefe visits a couple of herbal medicine shops in Old Chinatown:

This place looks like it is next to the Plaza:

Last edited by FredH; Dec 2, 2012 at 5:17 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 3:40 AM

South park contains a massive amount of parking lots, as seen in my shots here:

Does anyone have any shots of this area in particular? I wanted to know what was there before those lots were there.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 10:03 AM

Re: La Vista Terrace

My mother lived there in the early 1950's. Here is a photo of La Vista in 1951 I believe. Although there is a tree that is hiding some of the view, it still appears the towers and arbor are still there. I was able to find an old satellite history, perhaps on Google earth that showed the area in 1994. The property that La Vista was on was freshly graded so I believe the bungalows were torn down about that time.

The Mary Clark home suffered great damage in the 1987 Whittier Earthquake and was closed down after that. It was renovated and later reopened as hotel. I would imagine that is when the tower came down. It is still a gorgeous building that is celebrating its 100th year this year. I used to drive past several times a week, unbeknownst to me that my mother used to live behind it.

One other interesting note about the Mary Clark house was that when my mother lived at La Vista she remember she would always hear music coming from there.

Quote:
Thx so much for the info Rycoft and to e_r too for the photo. I always wondered when the Clark Residences lost their towers. Does anyone know? It's too bad they lost the lovely top-floor arbor along the back too.

Last edited by Rycroft; Dec 2, 2012 at 10:31 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 1:05 PM

"An original water tower and a chimney once extended above the roof. The brick chimney had inset arched panels and a corbeled cap. The campanile-like water tower had a pyramidal roof with a crowning finial. Both were removed following the 1971 [Sylmar] earthquake."

The above is a snippet from the building's National Register of Historic Places registration form here.

Pics: ebay

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 1:53 PM

LAPL

The real South Park, from which the name was stolen... it's at Avalon Blvd and East 51st Street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
South park contains a massive amount of parking lots...
Does anyone have any shots of this area in particular? I wanted to know what was there before those lots were there.

Mojeda101: Check out prior posts on this thread and the LAPL and USC photo collections... aerials are a good way to start, such as this one from 1955:

LAPL

(Red circle added...)

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Dec 23, 2012 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 8:08 PM

Re: La Vista Terrace/Mary Clark residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

"An original water tower and a chimney once extended above the roof. The brick chimney had inset arched panels and a corbeled cap. The campanile-like water tower had a pyramidal roof with a crowning finial. Both were removed following the 1971 [Sylmar] earthquake."

The above is a snippet from the building's National Register of Historic Places registration form here.

Pics: ebay
Wow, thanks for the great detective work! I did a quick Google search but did not find the information from the Sylmar quake. It's amazing that it is still standing and was restored so many times.

I love these photos showing it in all it's glory!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 9:08 PM

The Rialto 812 Broadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post

Makes me sick to my stomach seeing a once popular moving cinema into a ghetto clothes store.
Ah, the Rialto (O.P. Dennis, 1917), with the longest marquee on Broadway.
Other than the marquee it was pretty unassuming after its 1919 remodel.

Original facade ("The Garden of Allah" (1916) was the opening show):

Moving Picture World

The Rialto is another, like the Arcade, Cameo and Roxie theaters, whose back is open to Spring St
(another great site for a public park):

Bill Counter

The Rialto was opened by JA Quinn, who also owned Quinn's Superba (now rebuilt as the Roxie) and the Garrick (replaced by the Tower). Quinn later sold the Rialto to Sid Grauman.

Betty Sword

Closed as a theater in 1988. The interior has been gutted.

Then (1923) "The Most Beautiful Little Theater in the World":

LAPL

Now (2009):

Davendea - Flickr

Last edited by tovangar2; Jul 3, 2015 at 5:45 PM. Reason: add interior pix

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 9:59 PM

LA's lost alleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
T-Man Dennis O'Keefe is walking down Ferguson Alley from Alameda:

Thanks so much FredH for the screen grabs of Ferguson's Alley. There used to be so many alleys and tiny streets when I was a kid. They were intimate and mysterious, in marked contrast to the grandeur and glamour of the main streets. We used to duck into one to buy pigeon food from a tiny pet shop, but I cannot now remember where it was.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 10:13 PM

"...girls cut to look like movie stars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishzilla View Post
Anyone know where the T&M Studios were located in West Hollywood? Mickey Rooney claims in his autobiography it was up a flight of stairs on Santa Monica Blvd. Anyone have any information?
This is all I got:

"The truth was Rooney compulsively sought sex, and spent much of his free time chasing other women, as well as patronizing the T&M Studio, a West Hollywood brothel where the girls were movie star look-a-likes."
quoted from: http://www.pulpinternational.com/pul...6M+Studio.html

No exact location yet, but the search did lead me to this: http://la.curbed.com/archives/2010/0..._hollywood.php
about "Scotty's", the infamous Hollywood Richfield gas station "with one pump and 22 attendants".

There's a ton of info about Scotty's out there, but T&M, not so much.

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 2, 2012 at 11:01 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 6:07 AM
Closed account

Mickey the Mickster.

Quote:
This is all I got:

"The truth was Rooney compulsively sought sex, and spent much of his free time chasing other women, as well as patronizing the T&M Studio, a West Hollywood brothel where the girls were movie star look-a-likes."
quoted from: http://www.pulpinternational.com/pul...6M+Studio.html

No exact location yet, but the search did lead me to this: http://la.curbed.com/archives/2010/0..._hollywood.php
about "Scotty's", the infamous Hollywood Richfield gas station "with one pump and 22 attendants".

There's a ton of info about Scotty's out there, but T&M, not so much.
I read Mickey Rooney's auto-bio. There's a lot more to him that I had imagined. He has a sincere and deep spiritual side to him that surprised me. Yes, he was the boy-about-town in his youth but then many were...including myself.

The famous MGM brothel "T&M" was located in the Piazza Del Sol, 8439 Sunset Blvd., West Hollywood and survives to this day as the Hacienda Arms. Yes, it was "up a flight of stairs" but on Sunset rather than Santa Monica. We can see the stairs in the pix below.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacienda_Arms_Apartments

Mickey Rooney - 5'2" and one of a kind. Here he is with his first wife Ava Gardner and at the age when he was carousing the night scene in Hollywood. Overall...nice guy.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 7:56 AM

Some Christmas-themed stuff courtesy of Vintage Los Angeles on Facebook.

Hollywood and Cherokee in 1948:

Sunset and Vine during the Tom Breneman era:

And Westwood Boulevard in 1974:

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

The Sunset Service Center was actually across the street at 6407 Sunset. That lot was previously occupied by a Scrivener's Drive In; it is now a Jack In the Box.

Toast
A fuzzy shot of Scrivener's before it was replaced by the filling station.

Some businesses that have had the address of 6400 Sunset were S.G. Stephens Willy-Overland (1925); Hollywood Motors (1928); The Hollywood Unit of the Women's Voluntary Services (1943); a Muntz TV factory store (1952): First United Thrift & Loan (1956-61 more or less). None of these have led to pictures so far...
Ah, my bad. Oh well, fooled I was, by the LAPL.

Here's color footage of the 101 freeway through the Cahuenga Pass and downtown LA circa 1950s (I see a 1959 Chevy heading up the 101 near the Four-Level), in glorious color.
Video Link

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 12:15 PM

sopas: Not that I don't appreciate the LAPL (where would we be here without it?), but I figured it was a case of mislabeling...

Great video--it seems to be a compilation of clips from a few years from the late 50s/early 60s.... I noticed the "Wax Seal Co" sign near the beginning, which advertises a genuine Hollywood business...

youtube

Los Angeles Times, Dec 1, 1958

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos