HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musquodoboit County View Post
Phase 4 would be than a commuter rail line however this would be extremely expensive build because the the towns are all coastal and that coast is extremely irregular and not in any straight line at all. So might be buses and coach buses for the next 50+years (not in my lifetime)
Well, there was a rail line up until the early 1990s. Unfortunately it was abandoned and the rails pulled up so that it could be turned into a trail, a major mistake.

If there was a will, the ROW could be taken back and used for rail service again, admittedly at huge cost.

I seem to remember a rail line through Cole Harbour and the Eastern Shore to Musquodoboit Harbour and beyond too. The Cole Harbour portion of that would have been very useful given the growth in that area.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Well, there was a rail line up until the early 1990s. Unfortunately it was abandoned and the rails pulled up so that it could be turned into a trail, a major mistake.

If there was a will, the ROW could be taken back and used for rail service again, admittedly at huge cost.

I seem to remember a rail line through Cole Harbour and the Eastern Shore to Musquodoboit Harbour and beyond too. The Cole Harbour portion of that would have been very useful given the growth in that area.
The rail line you are thinking of is now the Shearwater Flyer trail, Salt Marsh trail, and various others.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Seriously! Makes my blood boil whenever I think about it. What a colossal, and colossally costly, boneheaded decision that was.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy