HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
It's not going to top out until the cladding reaches the roof. All that's left to install is the steel curved part, which always seems to be placed when the glass is nearby.
How was Bronycon this year?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Filipe- View Post
i agree, it seems like it gets lost in all the other tall buildings there..doesnt really make a difference.
Seems like I read somewhere that some lady in the city planning dept has much to do with the lack of height?

I think she was quoted as saying that new projects should be of the height and look of the surrounding buildings.

That kind of thinking of course will make New York insignificant in the skyscraper world. You have to be big and bold (which is what NY is all about). Making everything the same height is what takes away from Midtown in pictures. That's why these new supertalls are needed. There has to be layers of depth to make an iconic skyline...imho

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 20, 2012 at 12:14 AM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
This buildiing stands out just fine for its height. As always, it depends on what angle you are looking at it.

cmmulca

if you look at it from the skyline angle, you barely notice its there.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEPman View Post
Seems like I read somewhere that some lady in the city planning dept has much to do with the lack of height?

I think she was quoted as saying that new projects should be of the height and look of the surrounding buildings.

That kind of thinking of course will make New York insignificant in the skyscraper world. You have to be big and bold (which is what NY is all about). Making everything the same height is what takes away from Midtown in pictures.
There are no height limits in this part of Midtown, and I doubt the Planning Director ever said such a thing (re. all buildings need to be the same height).

And this is hardly one of the tallest upcoming buildings. There are a good half-dozen projects just along the 57th Street corridor & vicinity that will challenge or surpass this project.

And obviously Hudson Yards, Grand Central, Penn Station, Times Square and Downtown likely have many more supertalls in the works.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post

this angle shows how this really adds to the skyline

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
this angle shows how this really adds to the skyline
i hate to be a stick in the mud, nothing about it sticks out, when its done it will just blend with the others and you wont notice it

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 12:52 AM
Come As You Are

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFisher123 View Post
How was Bronycon this year?
IDK, I'm in Romania

Anyway, does anyone know if the glass covered that large curved part yet?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 2:37 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
i hate to be a stick in the mud, nothing about it sticks out, when its done it will just blend with the others and you wont notice it
The average tourist won't notice it, but those of us who follow this forum certainly will.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 2:42 AM
JACKinBeantown

And it's not finished. It will be almost 200 feet taller than anything in its neighborhood.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 3:24 AM

I kind of disagree with everyone, i think at the moment especially people are noticing it cause it's at that height where it's taller than the buildings in it's close vicinity and there's still a crane there and all that orange, people probably think that wow it's already big and it's still going even though its basically topped out. I think new yorkers that live in the area definitely notice it and when it's finished and the facade is all done, that's when everyone will notice it, because it will definitely stand out, since most of the towers around it don't have that eye popping glass or the height. This will definitely shine.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 6:00 AM
Mr. Technology

Oh, this tower is going to look great!

Incredible design. Not your average looking design whatsoever!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 10:30 AM

"Wah, a thousand foot residential tower doesn't stand out. Wah."

I can think of worse problems.

Looking forward to the top of the building taking shape (literally).

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
no problem but you don't see an effect especially in that gap from that angle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
The average tourist won't notice it, but those of us who follow this forum certainly will.
this

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 5:03 PM

From yesterday, top still not taking shape.

http://www.yimbynews.com/2012/07/con...-one57_18.html

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 12:35 AM

This writer often writes in the Greater New York section and while being a nimby in denial (ogres?), he does have the intelligence to show the opposite point of view.

Wall St. Journal
URBAN GARDNER
July 17, 2012, 10:58 p.m. ET

The Newest Generation of Ogres

Quote:
Have you seen Central Park's newest addition? It's a 90-story tower. To be fair, the structure—One57, consisting of 92 luxury condos atop the 210-room Park Hyatt Hotel—isn't actually within the perimeter of the park. It's just so tall that it feels that way. Its address is 157 W. 57th St., across the street from Carnegie Hall.

It probably wouldn't be right for an architecture critic to pass judgment on a building before it's completed. But I'm not an architecture critic. I'm just a very long-time park-goer. Indeed, I well remember other intrusions on the skyline. Such as the General Motors Building. Before it arrived, the Pierre, the Sherry-Netherland and the Savoy Plaza hotels stood at the southeast corner of the park like sisters. Then the GM came along, a playground bully, replacing the Savoy Plaza and throwing off the skyline's symmetry. It was ugly to boot, a tissue box stood on its side.

Maybe it's only because I'm not yet used to it, or because it's still incomplete and will pleasantly surprise me, but One57's presence feels less like it helps frame the park than violates it, exploits it for its own mercenary purposes—one 13,000-plus-square-foot apartment was listed at $115 million and has gone into contract for an undisclosed amount—while contributing little in return.

And by contributing, I mean throwing some interesting shapes or colors against the skyline. The 57th Street façade, with undulating glass panels, at least on the lower floors, show some potential. And the reflective glass starting to climb the façade that faces Central Park might help make the building dissolve into the skyline, which could be for the best. But the massing doesn't seem especially inspired. It's no Empire State—no missile struggling to break the bonds of Earth and cleave the heavens—but appears an undisguised attempt to maximize air rights and monopolize park views for plutocrats.

ralph.gardner@wsj.com

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...KEYWORDS=one57

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 20, 2012 at 12:16 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 2:54 AM
JACKinBeantown

My response to Mr. Urban Gardner (if that is your real name... sounds a bit like City Farmer to me):

My first impression of this building was that it looked like a periscope spying on Central Park. I thought the design was better than average, but not much more. Then I realized that it is designed to resemble a waterfall. Well, that gives it some more points. The only problem is that because of its location you can't really see the waterfall effect unless you're standing very close to it on 57th street. From anywhere else it looks like a tall blue glass building.

The massing is somewhat interesting, but certainly not ESB or Chrysler quality (or Woolworth, I might add). The height... well, I like the height. I've often stood in Sheep Meadow and felt like I was a fish in a bowl and the buildings were the glass. Now the bowl is getting bigger and the effect is getting more pronounced.

I like the fenestration. The repeating patterns of different colored blue glass will look interesting whether or not the waterfall effect is visible from your vantage point.

Overall I give the building a 7 or 8. It's certainly a nice addition to the Central Park skyline, and it's a mark of progress. I'm also looking forward to progressing more when its nearby (and taller) neighbor to the west starts to rise.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 5:50 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 4:52 PM

Full update from yesterday from my friend's roof:

http://www.yimbynews.com/2012/07/mid...ew-towers.html

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 12:17 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post

Wow. Too bad it won't "stand out" on the skyline....

Pierre-Selim

RealMattKane

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 20, 2012 at 12:48 AM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 2:48 AM

This building honestly isn't imposing, I think it's little to narrow for some angles, then to wide on others, I think the design could have been better than this,sorry, just my opinion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive