HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 12:27 AM
weidncol

I think they should just leave the podium white. Anything else looks tacky to me.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 2:11 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 13, 2014 at 2:22 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 4:05 PM

Yes please, just leave the podium white and stop playing around. This is not Candyland or Monopoly.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 4:43 PM

Wow, this building is massive! Thanks to everyone who's posted pictures and updates. The power that this building presents is incredible!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 7:44 PM

The green lighting for the podium is beautiful.

I like the colored base. It does look a bit strange when taken in as a whole (would look much better if the base was still tapered - and if the original spire was on the top rather than that hideous skinny industrial looks antenna), but for someone who actually lives in this area of Manhattan, it looks very beautiful on the street level and improves the ambiance of the area. It changes colors every few minutes.

-cheestacoaset.

Last edited by 599GTO; Mar 14, 2014 at 3:00 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 11:13 PM

I personally like the base lighting as well, and I don't live in NY. (But have been to the new WTC). I think it would be great if the building had synchronized lighting for the base and spire, which I would assume is what is going to happen, but I would absolutely love it if the lighting for the base and spire put on nice light shows for lower manhattan as the the Empire State Building does for Midtown. I believe it would give lower manhattan some more character, and maybe could even boost tourism and shopping in the area!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 5:27 AM
Walk taker

What on earth is up with New York's color schemes recently?

With the new ESB LED's as the sole exception, all of the lit elements (WTC base, 4 Times Square mast, BOA, etc.) have been colored with a palette reminiscent of MS Paint. There's no subtle shades, elegant gradients or even tertiary colors - just the simplest of color choices that could only be described as 'dumb'.

I expected better. What a disappointment.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 5:42 AM
weidncol

The only reason the base was lit those colors the past night is because they were testing. It wasn't an official lighting... I'm sure the base, along with the spire, will stay white most of the time like it has been.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 5:57 AM
BANNED

Great tower, has real bulk. Its the same width all the way up which gives it real soar, like the original towers. But I really dont like the mast/spire. Thry should have had a more sculptural modern spire or just left it flat, but its not a big enough deal to ruin the tower, it still looks great

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 6:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
I think they should just leave the podium white. Anything else looks tacky to me.
I dont think color necessarily makes something tacky, it depends on the context and surroundings.
I can think of a couple of hues that would look great on this tower. The sheen on the reflective cladding means you can get away with more bold colors too without looking too brash or out of place

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 1:24 PM
New Yorker for life

I don't think the base needs that lighting at all, other than normal lighting. As a matter of fact, the only thing at the WTC that needs highlighting at the street level should be the Calatrava terminal gateway. That will look beautiful lit at night. But the base of the Freedom Tower? Not so much. It just highlights the awkwardness of how big the base is, and how different it is from the rest of the tower. If they highlight the entire building, it's different. But again, no need to highlight the base, let it blend in as much as it can.

http://www.ba-reps.com/news/archive/2014/3

Joel Raskin

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 5:41 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEss View Post
What on earth is up with New York's color schemes recently?

With the new ESB LED's as the sole exception, all of the lit elements (WTC base, 4 Times Square mast, BOA, etc.) have been colored with a palette reminiscent of MS Paint. There's no subtle shades, elegant gradients or even tertiary colors - just the simplest of color choices that could only be described as 'dumb'.

I expected better. What a disappointment.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Those last 3 pics actually looked like they had been highlighted in MS paint.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I don't think the base needs that lighting at all, other than normal lighting. As a matter of fact, the only thing at the WTC that needs highlighting at the street level should be the Calatrava terminal gateway. That will look beautiful lit at night. But the base of the Freedom Tower? Not so much. It just highlights the awkwardness of how big the base is, and how different it is from the rest of the tower. If they highlight the entire building, it's different. But again, no need to highlight the base, let it blend in as much as it can.
I stongly agree. That applies also to the antennae. They should stick to one color to light it up.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth. Those last 3 pics actually looked like they had been highlighted in MS paint.
That's just testing. Primaries and secondaries test the LEDs.

I wonder if they intend to always keep the base 1 uniform color, of if they can do effects like gradients and patterns and stuff. That might look really cool if done right (slow animations, low resolution)

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 6:44 PM
weidncol

^^^ Yes, that is possible. There's multiple LEDs in one single panel.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
That's just testing. Primaries and secondaries test the LEDs.

I wonder if they intend to always keep the base 1 uniform color, of if they can do effects like gradients and patterns and stuff. That might look really cool if done right (slow animations, low resolution)
Yes.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I completely agree with that statement as well. It's ridiculous how tasteless certain lighting schemes have become. Lights should be used to highlight the architecture and AT MOST to provide some subtle coloring to complement what's already there. This picture of Woolworth is exactly what I'm talking about: soft white lights to draw attention to the detailing at night with just a touch of green at the bottom of the lighting scheme to reflect the green crown of the building.

Everything about that scheme conveys sophistication, while everything about the WTC 1 base scheme conveys gimmickry (I am aware that even Woolworth has had its share of bad lighting in the past, by the way). Obviously the lighting scheme for WTC 1 shouldn't be the same as that for Woolworth, as WTC 1 is more of a statement of power than of elegance, but the current approach to the base doesn't reflect power either. It's just lazy and cheapens the whole thing.

I also agree that Bank of America, 4 Times Square, and even Empire State can overdo it at times. It's just too much color. The best-lit building in the city for the past 80 years has been Chrysler and it still doesn't use ridiculous colors like that at all. I want more gotham and less candyland.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 7:53 PM

What about construction elevator? When they will be remove? How much longer is that?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 8:44 PM
weidncol

^^ Once the tenants finish fitting out the majority of their floors.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
Yes.

That would look perfect at some kind of tropical festival on the plaza during a balmy summer evening, with the soothing white noise of the waterfalls in the background.

As for the solid colors, unless it's white or yellowed-white, it looks too much like Akihabara or Las Vegas (not that I don't like those places).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive