HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Chicago is the American King of street furniture. Beautiful lamps, elegant flower beds, classic subway head houses. God, could we imagine if Broad Street resembled State Street, even 10%?

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8847...8i6656!6m1!1e1

The State St lights are those ethereal, almost plant-like installations in the bed. Hard to see there, but they are illuminated 24/7.

More comparatively Congress Parkway Lights - simple and elegant both day and night. LED color changes:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8755...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Honestly looking at those streets and the way the tree boxes are cut out of the sidewalk, this is definitely where Philly got their inspiration from. Though our poles are more ugly. I don't mind them though, they really aren't that notice able especially while walking on the sidewalk. Maybe in the future, we could install some futuristic hologram ads that beam out of them.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
first of all it would be nice if people stop saying the 55 lights costs $9M. They don't. The money being spent is for the lights, the excavation, concrete work, permits, traffic control and the landscaping/concrete improvements. The lights might be 10% of the project cost- or less. The fact that much of the work was done at night made it even more expensive.
Are these lights your mother or something? People don't like them. Relax.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 6:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Are these lights your mother or something? People don't like them. Relax.
I'm relaxed, I think the people who feel these lights alone have ruined any chance of a north philadelphia revitalization should relax a bit. Tone down the hyperbole. Then again, my experience here is that any difference of opinion or contrary point of view often generates a response such as yours.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teakwood View Post
Ah, yes. I did see the first one when I was there a couple of months ago. You're right, they are on during the day, and are glowing. Not exactly a comparison to this project, but a good example of tasteful artistic lighting. I'd love to see the city commission someone like Bruce Munro, who did an exhibit at Longwood Gardens a couple of years ago, to undertake a similar project in Philly.

The second one appears to be approximately 40 feet shorter than the ones that we are getting, and in a planter box, not a concrete median. Yet another way this project could improve.

Above just about everything else about visiting Chicago, what stood out for me was the quality and dearth of their modern public art. From Cloud Gate to Federal Plaza, their art is an asset, and a legitimate tourist attraction. We have... one of about 50 LOVE signs? (plus 1 at UPENN and 2 more in Southeastern PA) If the best argument for these light poles is that we have put up horrible things in the past, then we need to seriously re-evaluate the way modern public art is being approved.

We must live in a different world. Chicago has consistently been criticized for bland and boring architecture and design. On the other hand, Philadelphia has more public art than just about any city in the world. What is this obsession with only noticing the worst attributes of our city while playing up the best of every other place?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 7:16 PM

Quote:
I'm relaxed, I think the people who feel these lights alone have ruined any chance of a north philadelphia revitalization should relax a bit. Tone down the hyperbole. Then again, my experience here is that any difference of opinion or contrary point of view often generates a response such as yours.
Nobody said they ruined anything but the scenery (at least not me).

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by br323206 View Post
We must live in a different world. Chicago has consistently been criticized for bland and boring architecture and design. On the other hand, Philadelphia has more public art than just about any city in the world. What is this obsession with only noticing the worst attributes of our city while playing up the best of every other place?
I mentioned nothing about architecture, just modern public art. However, I'd be interested in reading the criticisms that you speak of. I appreciate the amount of art that is available in Philadelphia, but I'd gladly sacrifice quantity for quality. I don't think I'm alone in feeling that much of the modern public art around the city is sub-par, and none of it is a destination in and of itself, unlike Chicago (hence, the comparison). I was very much looking forward to this lighting project for over a year as I thought it could be game-changing, but feel that the results are counter-productive to its goals at best, and shared that opinion.

I'm not sure what else would make you feel I am noticing nothing but bad attributes? I love Philly, and have been a cheerleader for just about every other project listed on the forum. I have mentioned Chicago once and I think that was the only other city I have ever mentioned, so I'm confused by your last sentence?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 7:52 PM

Eh, I just drove up Broad Street this morning. I'm not necessarily a fan but I'm not a hater either. I would have preferred something a little different but I think people calling them ugly or something you'd see on a highway are off-base. The picture posted here doesn't do them justice, they do just look like a highway pole in the pic but in person, they kinda have a multi-textured contemporary/industrial arty feel, and seeing them all in a line up Broad Street is fairly impressive. They don't get in the way of your view of City Hall if you are walking along Broad street unless you are walking in the middle of Broad Street, which you can't really do, because you'll walk right into them.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 8:58 PM

Busy day at Bart's playhouse - street blocked off, 2 trucks pouring...

[IMG]Untitled by screennameLLC, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Untitled by screennameLLC, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 8:58 PM

Some people like the Broad Street poles. Some don't. Some don't care. There's nothing more to it than that. I'm hoping that my negative first impression of them changes with time. In the meantime, I hope they do their job and weather well. I also wish that Chip Kelly had gone for it on fourth down last night. I still love our city, even if I don't like the way things turn out from time to time.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 9:03 PM

46th and Walnut (my last update until it's above ground):
Last week:

Today:

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 9:06 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Some people like the Broad Street poles. Some don't. Some don't care. There's nothing more to it than that. I'm hoping that my negative first impression of them changes with time. In the meantime, I hope they do their job and weather well. I also wish that Chip Kelly had gone for it on fourth down last night. I still love our city, even if I don't like the way things turn out from time to time.
A landscaping plan along Broad St. with trees, plants, and shrubs will soften and even distract from the light poles. I don't love or hate them but if they do a great job of casting light on each side of Broad St., then at least it accomplishes the safety angle.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 9:49 PM

I'm not sure how to post pictures yet, but here's what the light masts look like at night when they're lit up: http://imgur.com/6nrc4v4

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 9:56 PM
Fishtown & Country

Tues, 9-15, Frankford Ave in Fishtown: These two wide buildings, just a few doors from each other-

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Haha I have no issue with your differing POV. Honestly I'm not even sure what I think of them yet. But you expressed it. Then you restated it again and again and again. ... every time someone posted a differing opinion.

It's a question of aesthetics. You're not going to convince someone it looks good.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 11:53 PM
Me?!?

Quote:

http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...t/#gallery-2-2

Nothing screams streetscape improvement like a 55 foot flagpole blocking the view of City Hall.
Ugh

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 4:08 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

I'm pretty sure they're gonna get torn out sooner or later. A friend of mine noted the project was clearly done in a silo with no thought to improving pedestrian safety (i.e. the "safety angle" = BS) and these poles are bland at best and an eyesore at worst.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 1:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by br323206 View Post
I always find it confusing.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 1:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Haha I have no issue with your differing POV. Honestly I'm not even sure what I think of them yet. But you expressed it. Then you restated it again and again and again. ... every time someone posted a differing opinion.

It's a question of aesthetics. You're not going to convince someone it looks good.
wasnt trying to- but I dont care what a person thinks of them- to claim they are going to ruin the chances of a North Broad comeback is just absurd. I call that Inga Syndrome- when one takes something they dont like and then blow the impact of the project WAY out of proportion.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 1:31 PM

Okay, okay, let's all relax. The lights are pretty ugly during the day, but kinda cool looking at night, or at least you know what they are for at night. And I can't imagine anyone actually thinks that those lights are such an eyesore that they will negatively impact development along North Broad, perhaps a post was taken out of context?

I don't want to silence the discussion but maybe it's best to move on before things get out of hand? Afterall, we're just talking about street lights here.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 1:41 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure what else would make you feel I am noticing nothing but bad attributes? I love Philly, and have been a cheerleader for just about every other project listed on the forum. I have mentioned Chicago once and I think that was the only other city I have ever mentioned, so I'm confused by your last sentence?
I'm sorry I singled you out. I didn't mean that you personally only noticed bad attributes, I meant as a city we seem to notice bad attributes and not good ones. I would contrast that with my friends that live in Chicago, DC, Boston, even Cleveland (!) who are always talking up the positive things going on in their city. It just confuses me how we generally have a more negative self-perception than Cleveland.

P.S.- Before a Clevelander shows up and is mad at me: I love Cleveland. I think it's a great city and fun to visit. But I think most would agree that Philadelphia is in a better position economically/development wise.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development