HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 2:58 PM
All man. Half nuts.

here's a different transportation top for discussion in this thread:

getting Amtrak service back in Boise.

as you probably know, Amtrak used to include Boise as a stop on its Pioneer train, but the train was discontinued in 1997.

interestingly, the first time i ever visited Boise was on the Pioneer train back in 1989. the train stopped at the Boise Depot at about 2am, if i recall, and i could barely see downtown in the distance. it never occurred to me that a few years later, i'd move here.

i wish Boise still had Amtrak service... i'm definitely a huge fan of taking the train, and would probably take advantage of riding to Portland or Seattle via train on occasion if one was available.

in 2008, Amtrak did consider restoring the Pioneer train connecting Chicago, Denver, Salt Lake, Boise, Portland and Seattle, but estimated operating losses were over $100 million, so it was quickly dismissed as a viable addition.

what say you. if Amtrak still served Boise, would you ever take advantage of riding the rail?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post

what say you. if Amtrak still served Boise, would you ever take advantage of riding the rail?

Yes. I travel between Boise and Vancouver, BC 4-6 times a year. I almost always drive (+/- 11 hrs) because it's still less expensive than airfare and I have the time. If rail came in even marginally cheaper than air I would probably do it. In addition to the lower cost, I drive to see the scenery, which is at least as good by train. Also, I rarely use my car once in Vancouver because the mass transit is frankly pretty great up there.

Come to think of it, I rarely use my car in Boise, either, in spite of our deplorable transit options. BIKE FOR DAYZ. I just need a better way to get between cities. RAIL.

I understand that my situation is unique. If they want to bring it back just for me, though, I won't argue!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 1:49 AM

I absolutely would use Amtrak if the Pioneer line was available again. I miss Seattle, so it’d be a perfect way to travel back up to there.

I did a Google search and found on HOWMUCHISIT that Amtrak tickets can range greatly depending on the destination where the trains are going and their range. A single Amtrak ticket can cost from $6- $29 one-way,all the way up to $1,000 for long range destinations and premium seats. On average, most trips that are less than 500 miles will cost about $40-$300 per seat in the coach section. FYI, I do not know how trustworthy the site is so the pricing may be off.

-I'd get the ticket information from Amtrak's website, but I’m not in the mood right now to download their "New" App just to view their prices online when I have no other use for it as of yet.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 1:54 AM

I know I would likely use the rail to visit my brother at least once a year and I'm quite sure my mom would use the rail at least two or three times a year also.

Actually I would ride the rail to just ride the rail, I love TRAINS.

I plan on taking the wife again on the Thunder Mountain Line just for the fun of it. Wish it would go all the way to McCall though. Even better would be if it originated in Boise took you all the way to McCall. The ultimate would be the ability to travel to Coeur d’Alene via rail up the goat trail. I know there isn't any rails that go that way but it would be awesome...Payette River, Long Valley, Salmon River, White Bird Hill, Lawyers Canyon, Lewiston Hill, Palouse, CDA Lake.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 5:10 AM

KTVB

(Photo: Ryan Hilliard/KTVB)

Boise Depot celebrates it's 90th birthday

The depot is one of southern Idaho's most iconic structures and a great place to get a view of the city skyline.
It's also the place that historians say gave birth to the boom of the City of Trees almost a hundred years ago.

The Boise Depot turned 90 on Sunday.

Full Article:
http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/local...-90-/26058201/

Last edited by Hawk; Apr 20, 2015 at 5:46 AM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 1:36 PM

Boise Airport is working on getting international flights
by: Brad Iverson-Long / April 21, 2015

It may take five years or more, but officials at the Boise Airport hope to add international commercial flights. The airport has a customs facility now, but it's only available for military and private flights. But it's part of a group of about ten small airports that are looking at ways to implement customs and border ...

Read more: http://idahobusinessreview.com/2015/...#ixzz3XwzqEmO7

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 2:03 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Boise Airport is working on getting international flights
by: Brad Iverson-Long / April 21, 2015

It may take five years or more, but officials at the Boise Airport hope to add international commercial flights. The airport has a customs facility now, but it's only available for military and private flights. But it's part of a group of about ten small airports that are looking at ways to implement customs and border ...

Read more: http://idahobusinessreview.com/2015/...#ixzz3XwzqEmO7

that would be nice to see, but i wonder what destinations?

vancouver and calgary seem to be the most likely. maybe even victoria for a smaller flights.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 4:05 PM
Dare Mighty Things

I don't see international service happening for a long time. The best bet would be a WestJet or Air Canada Express Dash 8-Q400 operating to Calgary. We have the facilities in place for that kind of flight (it can pre-clear in Canada), and it would carry the least financial risk.

A flight to Mexico is trickier as it would require a larger aircraft, and the yields per passenger would be low. If Albuquerque--a closer, larger city with stronger ethnic and culture ties to Mexico--can't sustain a Mexico flight, Boise probably can't either. The best chance is if Allegiant tries Mexico in the next 5 years, then perhaps they'd explore a weekly Puerto Vallarta or San Jose del Cabo flight. The only other, and it'd be a big longshot, might be a Volaris or AeroMexico flight to Guadalajara. I just don't see either happening in the next 5 years. But I'd love to be wrong!

Even if it doesn't go anywhere, I do like that the airport is getting a discussion going on the topic.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 6:20 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
I don't see international service happening for a long time. The best bet would be a WestJet or Air Canada Express Dash 8-Q400 operating to Calgary. We have the facilities in place for that kind of flight (it can pre-clear in Canada), and it would carry the least financial risk.

A flight to Mexico is trickier as it would require a larger aircraft, and the yields per passenger would be low. If Albuquerque--a closer, larger city with stronger ethnic and culture ties to Mexico--can't sustain a Mexico flight, Boise probably can't either. The best chance is if Allegiant tries Mexico in the next 5 years, then perhaps they'd explore a weekly Puerto Vallarta or San Jose del Cabo flight. The only other, and it'd be a big longshot, might be a Volaris or AeroMexico flight to Guadalajara. I just don't see either happening in the next 5 years. But I'd love to be wrong!

Even if it doesn't go anywhere, I do like that the airport is getting a discussion going on the topic.

according to the article, 4 of the 5 initial destinations are in Mexico. the other is in Canada.

i guess it makes sense... we do have a large Hispanic population in the valley, and i have friends with family in Mexico who would probably take advantage of those flights.

maybe they can have direct flights to Bilbao, given the number of Basques in the valley, too.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 2:39 AM

I would think Calgary would work in an RJ or Q400, Vancouver too.

It's tough to see what airline could make Mexico work from Boise. The most likely possibility would be one daily AS SEA-BOI pairing upgraded to mainline and then maybe BOI-SJD.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 8:57 PM

Boise Airport lands two nonstop flights in one day

Good news. Glad to see Reno service return. Now if we could just get BOI>ATL service from Detla. Would make my life a lot easier for both East Coast and International destinations.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/0...r-nonstop.html

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 9:06 PM
All man. Half nuts.

good read on the future of public transit in boise from the boise weekly:

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/the...nt?oid=3506765

you might want to avoid the comments section if you don't have a strong stomach.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 1:03 PM
not a cynic

Repost: Just reminding Boiseans of SLC's rail maintenance facilities and asking again: Where will Boise put these?

Jordan River Service Center Source: http://www.stacywitbeck.com/projects...ervice-center/

Lovendahl

Adding a 3rd one. Warm Springs Service Center for Frontrunner

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 12:25 AM

Gowen Business Park or South of the Airport. Tracks still run out that way.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 2:52 PM

As expensive and logistically challenging as some sort commuter rail link between Caldwell, Boise, and, say, Mountain Home would be, it's only going to get more expensive to wait until it's actually critical. My home region, the Denver metro area, has learned that in a painful way with FasTracks. People laughed at the need for rail in the 1970s and called proponents collectivists (sound familiar? Colorado in the 1970s was probably similar in temperament to Idaho today). Yes the West Rail line between Denver and Golden saw 3 million riders in its first year of operation.

Even now when I have to drive out to Meridian or Nampa (usually in the morning) I'm shocked at how much inbound traffic there actually is. It may not be critical now, but it's coming...

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 3:26 PM
All man. Half nuts.

the "Connector Crack" (that's what i call it) where I-184 splits may have enough real estate for something like this.

doesn't seem like any developers have come up with a good use for that land, and it is rather centrally located as downtown begins its westward expansion.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 5:06 PM
not a cynic

I realize there's a spur that connects the Depot with the Gowen Road area but what the city wants to start with is a downtown circulator. There likely won't be a connection up Capitol to the spur line, at least not at first. So what I'm worried about is a maintenance facility on one of the city owned lots around 27th and 30th and Fairview/Main.

It's the Little Rock model as I'm coining it. Look on google maps at the Little Rock rail barn. It's not bad but not great either.

I think everyone would like to see midrise residential infilling the Fairview/Main corridor.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 12:54 AM

To serve just the circulator I can't imagine a need for a facility anywhere close to the size shown in the pics above. Seems any block along the route could serve as a facility location (preferably west end like 16th and Idaho behind the Cabana Inn area).

How many cars would be needed to serve the circulator?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 3:02 PM
not a cynic

Anyone catch this? ACHD plans to do the Royal Blvd extension across Capitol next summer. That's the same time as ITD plans to rebuild Broadway Bridge and it appears they're going to completely close Broadway for the duration of the 9 month project.

Sven Berg writes about Royal Blvd, but not about Broadway.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/0...that-will.html

Source on Broadway closure:

http://apps.itd.idaho.gov/apps/broad...ew%20FINAL.pdf

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 4:29 PM

Man, the Royal Blvd extension sounds awful.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West