HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 12:48 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Dundas Square: Toronto's attempt at Shibuya.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 1:10 PM
Explorateur urbain

Great set of pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
It was actually surprising, didn't expect that from a modern and clean looking city like Toronto. The smell and the stores were really surprising, at the same time they don't sell alcohol in the stores, just like in Sweden there are special stores for it. It's like alcohol is considered the "dangerous" thing in Canada, and many countries it is the opposite.

We have that in Amsterdam, but no other place in Europe it is openly smoked in public (there is a famous part called Christiana in Copenhagen where they sell drugs open).

Anyway, hope you liked the pics from Distillery District above! Next will be Dundas Square and then CN Tower.

That varies from province to province. In Quebec, for example, alcool is sold in supermarkets, groceries, convenience stores, gas stations, etc.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 10:14 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Dundas Square: Toronto's attempt at Shibuya.
I'd say it's a pretty successful "attempt". Lots of big cities around the world have a district full of big advertisements and video screens, why can't Toronto?

You can't deny that it's the epicentre of downtown in terms of pedestrian traffic and a general "big city" assault on the senses.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 11:48 AM
Illustrator, editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewE View Post
Nice job of the Distillary District and Dundas Square!!
I haven't been to the Distillary District for quite some time, it looks like it's changed quite a bit. The World Cup Hockey championships going on right now has allot of activities happening right next door to the Distillary area.

On the Marijuana thing...didn't Portugal legalize it?

A side note...I watched and loved "The Bridge" TV series on Netflix (with English subtitles)! It constantly showed pictures of the bridge from the Malmo area. Love the female detective's character. I got a kick out of how she was always making fun of Denmark (not being too efficient).
Yes I think so. I think it's legal in Germany too, but a bit stricter then for example Netherlands.

The Bridge yes...haha...Sweden and Denmark sure have our cultural differences. It's really a great serie, probably the best Swedish criminal series ever. But even though we have our fair share of crime here in Malmö, the city doesn't look half as depressing as in this show. Copenhagen is even less depressive, a city with very colourful buildings.
They only show the industial areas and stiff office buildings, never old streets and squares. But I hope people understand this, and I love the melancholy of this show. Now back to Toronto:

Btw, love Dundas and Distillery!

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 11:50 AM
Illustrator, editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Great set of pics!

That varies from province to province. In Quebec, for example, alcool is sold in supermarkets, groceries, convenience stores, gas stations, etc.
Really? I met a guy from Quebec about 10 years ago, he told me that Quebec was the only province that didn't sell alcohol in supermarkets. That's why I was surprised to see these special stores in Toronto. May be that has changed? Sweden, Finland and Norway don't sell alcohol in supermarkets either.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 11:52 AM
Illustrator, editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
I'd say it's a pretty successful "attempt". Lots of big cities around the world have a district full of big advertisements and video screens, why can't Toronto?

You can't deny that it's the epicentre of downtown in terms of pedestrian traffic and a general "big city" assault on the senses.
Very successful attempt! And it reminds of Times Square too. We don't have anything like that in Scandinavia, so it was very interesting to visit.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 6:41 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Really? I met a guy from Quebec about 10 years ago, he told me that Quebec was the only province that didn't sell alcohol in supermarkets. That's why I was surprised to see these special stores in Toronto. May be that has changed? Sweden, Finland and Norway don't sell alcohol in supermarkets either.
I doubt he really was from Quebec, or maybe he was totally clueless, or maybe you misunderstood him.

Quebec was one of the first provinces to liberalize alcohol sales in supermarkets and dépanneurs (corner stores). It's been like this since I was a kid in the 1970s, and may have even started earlier than that.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 8:44 PM
Illustrator, editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I doubt he really was from Quebec, or maybe he was totally clueless, or maybe you misunderstood him.

Quebec was one of the first provinces to liberalize alcohol sales in supermarkets and dépanneurs (corner stores). It's been like this since I was a kid in the 1970s, and may have even started earlier than that.
May be, it's quite some time ago so I might remember it wrong...Quebec is after all the most French influenced province, so it's pretty natural that they have more liberal alcohol laws.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 8:54 PM
Illustrator, editor

OUR HOTEL:

We stayed at the Comfort Hotel Downtown, a 3-star highrise hotel at Yonge Street. It was simple in modernist 9-storey brown brick building with 70s interior (that was under refurbishment during our visit, the restaurant was also closed for renovation) but it has an excellent location, large rooms with wonderful beds and nice views, AC, nice staff, and nice free breakfast with waffels. The largest con was the size of the breakfast room; there was not enough seats for all the guests!
Comfort Hotel by Nightsky, on Flickr

Comfort Hotel and its views 16 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Comfort Hotel, entrance.
Comfort Hotel and its views 01 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Comfort Hotel and its views 09 by Nightsky, on Flickr

Comfort Hotel and its views 10 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Comfort Hotel and its views 06 by Nightsky, on Flickr
View from our room.
Comfort Hotel and its views 18 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Hotel breakfast, including waffle with maple syrup!

Comfort Hotel and its views 20 by Nightsky, on Flickr
One Bloor, almost completed opposite our hotel.

http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Toronto_Yonge.html

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 9:54 AM
Illustrator, editor

VIEWS FROM CN TOWER:

CN Tower, built in 1976, was the world's tallest freestanding structure in the world for 34 years, still without competition dominating the skyline. It is, at a height of 553m to the top of the mast, still the tallest TV tower in North America, and the tallest tower in the western hemisphere, second tallest tower in the world (Canton Tower in China is now somewhat taller). The observation deck is a very popular attraction, it features both an indoor and an outdoor section, a glass floor and a revolving restaurant. Even higher up, at the 147th floor, you can visit the Skypod. It is also possible to take a walk on the edge and hang out from the building. Super fast glass enclosed elevators take you to the observation deck, while you take the ride up the city down below you appears smaller and smaller! Right next to CN Tower is the Rogers Centre, a huge sports arena that is famous for its roof that can be opened and closed according to the weather. It was built in 1989 and is 95m high to the top of the dome. In 2013, the large Ripley's Aquarium opened just next to CN Tower.

CN Tower and its views 25 by Nightsky, on Flickr

CN Tower and its views 24 by Nightsky, on Flickr

CN Tower and its views 22 by Nightsky, on Flickr

CN Tower and its views 22 by Nightsky, on Flickr
CN Tower and its views 21 by Nightsky, on Flickr

CN Tower and its views 20 by Nightsky, on Flickr

CN Tower and its views 18 by Nightsky, on Flickr

CN Tower and its views 14 by Nightsky, on Flickr

CN Tower and its views 13 by Nightsky, on Flickr

CN Tower and its views 12 by Nightsky, on Flickr

CN Tower and its views 11 by Nightsky, on Flickr

CN Tower and its views 10 by Nightsky, on Flickr

CN Tower and its views 08 by Nightsky, on Flickr

CN Tower and its views 07 by Nightsky, on Flickr

CN Tower and its views 06 by Nightsky, on Flickr

CN Tower and its views 04 by Nightsky, on Flickr

CN Tower and its views 91 by Nightsky, on Flickr
People hanging at the outside

CN Tower and its views 88 by Nightsky, on Flickr
LEGO model

CN Tower and its views 87 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Glass elevator

http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Tor...kyline_CN.html

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 2:15 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post

Oh, it's definitely pretty successful, but hard to compete with Tokyo.

I just wanted to give the comparison other than the tired 'Time Square' comparison because it looks way more like Tokyo than New York.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaborandi View Post
I feel like such a fool!!! I have lived east of Yonge, between Bloor and Carlton, for nearly 50 years. I was totally unaware that my neighbourhood is "sketchy". The only crimes I have witnessed are of the questionable taste in fashion variety and maybe the chewy spit onto the sidewalks. There are drunks and homeless to be sure but I have never felt any sense of danger or threat of menace from them. They just want to get gooned in peace. Perhaps I should learn to be scared and let fear be my best friend.
you have to remember people not from cities are terrified by being asked by people in dirty clothes for spare change, that to them is absolutly sketchy

i work in northern alberta in a small town and people from there are scared of going to downtown edmonton, they would rather stick to the safety of the "mall"

for them seeing people loitering is omg luck the doors, roll up the windows

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 9:58 PM

Quote:
VIEWS FROM CN TOWER:
My apologies on behalf of Toronto for the wallet-sucking tourist trap that is CN. I was at Ripley's the other day and, for shits and gasps, went to check out what a ride up and down CN's elevator is going for these days. $35 per adult (!!!), $30 per senior (what a fucking deal for you geezers!), and the rest I don't remember. What a disgrace!
I would only visit the tower in conjunction with a meal at 360, and even that is pushing it now, because the restaurant has high-end prices for merely good food. Nevertheless, a meal at 360 is worth doing at least once because it's a highly memorable experience more than anything else, especially at sunset and with a Jays game happening far below.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 12:17 AM
I am the law!

$35 is less outrageous than you think.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 1:16 AM

It strikes me as outrageous for what is little more than an elevator ride and a nice view. I'd be much more inclined to pay that kind of money for the zoo or the ROM. Though neither is that expensive, both offer much more intrinsic value and are more costly (questionable in the case of the ROM) for the proprietors to administer.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 10:17 AM
Illustrator, editor

MINATURE VIEWS from CN Tower:

CN Tower and its views 83 by Nightsky, on Flickr

CN Tower and its views 80 by Nightsky, on Flickr

CN Tower and its views 79 by Nightsky, on Flickr

CN Tower and its views 77 by Nightsky, on Flickr

CN Tower and its views 73 by Nightsky, on Flickr
First Canadian Place
CN Tower and its views 71 by Nightsky, on Flickr

CN Tower and its views 68 by Nightsky, on Flickr’
First Canadian Place, Toronto Dominon Centre, Scotia Plaza
CN Tower and its views 63 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Looking down
CN Tower and its views 61 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Glass floor

CN Tower and its views 60 by Nightsky, on Flickr

CN Tower and its views 56 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Outdoor deck
CN Tower and its views 52 by Nightsky, on Flickr

CN Tower and its views 51 by Nightsky, on Flickr
CN Tower and its views 46 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Rogers Centre with closed roof
CN Tower and its views 44 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Toronto Islands

CN Tower and its views 43 by Nightsky, on Flickr
CN Tower and its views 42 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Ontario Place
CN Tower and its views 39 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Aura and others

CN Tower and its views 37 by Nightsky, on Flickr
West Toronto and Mississauga, a city with about 800 000 inhabitants

CN Tower and its views 35 by Nightsky, on Flickr

CN Tower and its views 32 by Nightsky, on Flickr
CN Tower and its views 31 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Royal Ontario Museum, Sharp Centre

CN Tower and its views 30 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Hyatt Regency
CN Tower and its views 28 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Aura, Rosedale, North Toronto
CN Tower and its views 26 by Nightsky, on Flickr
One Bloor and Aura, above Yonge Street

http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Tor...kyline_CN.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
My apologies on behalf of Toronto for the wallet-sucking tourist trap that is CN. I was at Ripley's the other day and, for shits and gasps, went to check out what a ride up and down CN's elevator is going for these days. $35 per adult (!!!), $30 per senior (what a fucking deal for you geezers!), and the rest I don't remember. What a disgrace!
I would only visit the tower in conjunction with a meal at 360, and even that is pushing it now, because the restaurant has high-end prices for merely good food. Nevertheless, a meal at 360 is worth doing at least once because it's a highly memorable experience more than anything else, especially at sunset and with a Jays game happening far below.
I agree it is very expensive but as a foreign tourist visiting for the first time it is definately worth it! The views beat everything I have seen, the architecture and glass elevator is exciting and it is a world famous structure, as an architecture geek I would never go home from Toronto without visiting CN Tower (or from Chicago without visiting Sears Tower). But as a Swede I'm used to these high prices. The Skypod was even more expensive though, it was closed during my visit though. Going up CN Tower was a dream since I was little, just like visiting the Niagara Falls.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 6:51 AM

Great photos!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 9:01 AM

Urban constructions in Toronto are 80% Asianized, i.e. high-rise apartment buildings. Vancouver had been already, and Montreal is following Toronto.

The only positive thing with rapid reproduction of high-rise apartment buildings is downtown or inner city is safer because more residents and police officers are around all the time.

Canada is being Asianized.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 1:43 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Downtown wasn't dangerous to begin with, but there are definitely lots of positive things such as large numbers of people being able to access jobs and amenities in a walkable setting without having to travel long distances, which reduces carbon emissions and traffic congestion compared to having people live farther out (in many cities population growth occurs at the edge). And it also makes downtown more lively and interesting, since it can support more businesses and attract more people which is something that can be enjoyed by both downtown residents, and people visiting downtown.

The ironic thing is that the styles aren't even those prevailing in Asia, and the Asian cities that do have similar styles started adopted them after Toronto and Vancouver did. The only similarity is that there is highrise residential.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 2:55 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Also it looks better than sterile office towers, that's another bonus.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos