HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 7:58 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 12:22 AM

To return to the 24/7 subway service, soon!!
The homeless subway problem is becoming a bus problem...

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
*glances sideways at the BQE debacle*

Sure buddy. Who’s going to build it the Loch Ness Monster and it’s team of unicorns?
Sorry for the delayed response. But relax, you have nothing to worry about. If anything the BQE is likely to be removed seeing as how anti-freeway NYSDOT has become. I-81 through Syracuse is toast. Buffalo Skyway is likely done. All things I wish were kept and upgraded but oh well.

Yes, I fully advocate for a multi-modal system which includes cars.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 6:30 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 4:27 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

wondering about the ferry system?

Further service cuts to NYC Ferry, projects postponed as COVID-19 continues

NYC Ferry is taking additional measures to cut costs following ridership drops during the COVID-19 pandemic through a litany of service cuts and route rearrangements.

Seth Myers, executive vice president of the city Economic Development Corporation, says an additional 20% reduction in service on top of the 30% already implemented, but headways at key landings could stay at the same level.

This, according to Myers, will save the city up to $10 million.

“Our service as a result will be about half of what it was prior to COVID at this time last year. That’s a result of seeing some of the continued drop off in ridership, but also expecting to see a recovery process as well,” Myers told amNewYork Metro. “The other change is a is a longer term efficiency move which goes back to always trying to find a savings, is the optimization of a couple of routes.”

more:
https://www.amny.com/transit/further...-19-continues/

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 8:00 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

andy byford now runs london’s transit.

good job running him out of town cuomo.

http://secondavenuesagas.com/

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 3:50 PM

DeBlasio telling everybody to drive into Manhattan and if you can't that he basically doesn't care and you're on your own is just the kind of lazy idiotic suggestion I'd expect from him.

He should resign and let somebody run the city who actually might be bothered to do the job.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 2:28 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

the mayor’s plan for keeping transit safe:

https://abc7ny.com/health/de-blasio-...ansit/6227196/

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 10:19 PM

When will be restored the 24/7 subway service?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 3:37 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchester united View Post

just a guess, but probably not until there is a vaccine for the virus.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 3:40 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

serious ongoing problems with the new bombardier lemons, i mean trains:

https://www.thecity.nyc/2020/6/3/212...out-of-service

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 3:42 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

mta and the mayor squabble over transit's health safety plans:

https://www.thecity.nyc/coronavirus/...reopening-plan

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 3:09 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

in the wake of the george floyd protests, nyc to get five washington dc styled black lives matter painted streets.

https://www.amny.com/news/city-to-pa...-five-streets/

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
in the wake of the george floyd protests, nyc to get five washington dc styled black lives matter painted streets.

https://www.amny.com/news/city-to-pa...-five-streets/
Almost certainly after 6 months of City Hall doing nothing, a 1-3 year community board process, four lawsuits, and a $5 million dollar no bid contract.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 5:09 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Almost certainly after 6 months of City Hall doing nothing, a 1-3 year community board process, four lawsuits, and a $5 million dollar no bid contract.
you forgot to add in the mayor appointing his spouse to head up a paid commission for the project.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 12:19 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

laguardia’s brand new terminal b opened today — check out the artwork:

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news...lations-061120

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 10:39 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

it's a lock:

NYC makes 14th Street busway permanent, adds five more car-free routes

POSTED ON MON, JUNE 8, 2020 BY DEVIN GANNON

The busway on 14th Street in Manhattan will be made permanent, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced on Monday. The car-free strip of the street, which runs between 3rd and 9th Avenues, launched as part of a pilot program last October. The mayor called the busway, which has proven popular with riders, a “success by every measure.” De Blasio also announced the phased-in addition of five new busways and 16.5 miles of bus lanes, which are meant to alleviate crowding for commuters as the city begins the reopening process.

more:
https://www.6sqft.com/nyc-makes-14th...r-free-routes/

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 11:27 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchester united View Post
Hopefully never, if the nightly closures lead to improved service and repairs. Not sure if that's what we're going to get as a result of these nightly closures. But that's what supposedly happens in every other metro system in the world.

No other system operates 24/7 because it's purely ridiculous. What need is there for a 24/7 system? Have you ever ridden the subway in the middle of the night? I have, and it is pure misery. 20-30 minute headways. Trains travelling at 5 mph or less because of "train traffic ahead", but more likely because the transit union forced trains to travel at slow speeds if there was repair work being done on an adjacent track. Trains stopping at stations for 5 minutes or more at a time for no clear reason. A trip that takes 1 hour easily takes 2 hours in the middle of the night.

I'd say that you have never ridden the 24/7 subway in the middle of the night if you are truly clamoring for it back. You might want it back more because just so you can say that NYC has 24/7 service and is truly "the city that never sleeps". I'd say that this night owl service can be easily replicated using bus shuttles that travel along the subway routes. There are very few people using the subway this late at night, and a decent number of shuttle buses should be able to carry them all.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 2:54 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

gridlock sam is proposing building a few new grand ped bridges around nyc --- over the hudson and east rivers:

https://gothamist.com/news/three-rib...sy?to=comments

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 8:11 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
gridlock sam is proposing building a few new grand ped bridges around nyc --- over the hudson and east rivers:

https://gothamist.com/news/three-rib...sy?to=comments

I saw that.

The East River would have many more bridges if it weren't so wide, IMO. It's a completely different situation from Chicago with its their narrower Chicago River with bridges all over. There is a definitive geographic separation between nearly all landmasses in NYC. There aren't too many narrow crossings available, and nearly all of the wide crossings need extra clearance to allow larger ships to navigate.

Nearly all bridges in NYC suffer from the same problem - they are currently designed and allocated for automobile traffic. Any time you cater to automobile traffic, your area becomes one of two things:
- a destination for automobile users.
- a pass-through for automobile users.

I think it would be more useful and less exclusionary if these bridges also included a lane or two for some form of mass transit. Maybe a shuttle light rail (or trolley), or maybe just a bus. By itself, a pedestrian-only bridge wouldn't provide the total number of daily users really move needles. There will be many people who feel that the walk across the river is way too long. But if there were mass transit, it would provide more meaningful daily user numbers. It would certainly help revive cloistered neighborhoods by making them more accessible.

The proposal is ok, but it feels like the 3 bridges being proposed are in already well-to-do areas. I wonder what bridges in less wealthy areas could do to improve the lives of its residents.

For example, the only bridge connecting the Bronx to Randall's Island is the Triborough Bridge. But why must pedestrians from the Bronx be forced to climb up along an intimidating stretch of automobile-only road, then climb on down to get to Randall's Island? The Bronx Kill, the waterway separating the two, isn't navigable by boats or ships. Why not put a few low elevation bridges crossing the Bronx Kill? It would allow Bronx residents far easier pedestrain access to a large recreational island.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation