HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 6:06 AM

New video game development program to start at U of A

http://metronews.ca/voices/footnotes...game-industry/

They should have had this program years ago.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 12:35 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

Leases will help U of A vault to top tier, governors say
School hopes to raise millions with land plan

Sheila Pratt
Edmonton Journal

Thursday, July 03, 2014

Leasing university lands to private developers will help the University of Alberta raise the millions it needs to leap into the top tier of postsecondary institutions, says its board of governors.

Coun. Michael Walters also praised the U of A's historic decision, saying he's "hopeful" a new arm's-length land trust will mean better consultation with surrounding communities and reflect the city's planning priorities...

spratt@edmontonjournal.com
© Edmonton Journal 2014

Copyright © 2014 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...fe887&sponsor=

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 5:12 AM

I was at the University on Friday and got a tour of the 8th floor of the new Innovation Centre for Engineering. The views are quite spectacular as you might imagine, and with the substantial donation the faculty just received from the owners of Vermillion Energy Inc. the inside will be quite nice as well.

Looking Northeast

Looking east

Looking west

West End

Looking north

Oliver

Looking South

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 6:03 AM
So very tired...

Cool! Thanks for the shots.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 2:19 PM
Community Guy

Amazing views indeed and very er um engineer looking from an interior structural sense.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 2:22 PM
DRINK

whoa. what a view!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 4:05 PM

Very cool...thanks

Another angle of our beautiful river valley.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 1:51 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

World-class lab at U of A to investigate unconventional hydrocarbons

By David Howell, Edmonton Journal November 25, 2014

Cutting-edge research into new ways of recovering bitumen, coal bed methane, shale gas and other unconventional hydrocarbons is the focus of a $15-million collaboration between the University of Alberta, government and industry.

Rick Chalaturnyk, a U of A professor of geotechnical engineering, was named Tuesday as the inaugural holder of the Foundation CMG Endowed Chair in Reservoir Geomechanics.

The research chair is an integral component of a new research program aimed at developing hydrocarbon recovery technologies that are economically, environmentally and socially sustainable, said David Lynch, the U of A’s dean of engineering. Pulling together the program’s components took seven years.

“This is, as we would all recognize, an incredibly important area of research for the development of Alberta and beyond,” Lynch said at the announcement...

© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/story...13640&sponsor=

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoe View Post
I was at the University on Friday and got a tour of the 8th floor of the new Innovation Centre for Engineering. The views are quite spectacular as you might imagine, and with the substantial donation the faculty just received from the owners of Vermillion Energy Inc. the inside will be quite nice as well.
The fit out is projected to cost $134,400,000 according to the university. I don't think it is funded beyond the donation at this time.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 3:51 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 1:24 PM
DRINK

Didn't Katz promise to build a new rink at the UofA when he bought the oilers?

Nobody seems to talk about that anymore.....it's almost as taboo in the media as Craig Mactavish's year in jail for killing that chick while driving drunk in Boston.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 2:08 PM
Community Guy

Sad that they cannot renovate Clare Drake and put a fancy new thing for training etc. on the old football field. It is truly a shame to remove varsity sports from the main campus and place them in a field beside a parking lot. There is little more I enjoy than LRT'ing or walking to RATT, grabbing a few and then heading into Clare Drake with 500-2999 fans and then spilling out into campus, perhaps back to RATT, perhaps to Deweys or towards another establishment. This is part of why I also loved University and to think of LRT'ing into nomansland and parking lots, no thanks.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 2:39 PM
HVAC guru

Coliseum re-purpose is a priority, good to see

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Coliseum re-purpose is a priority, good to see
I agree. Also it has a higher priority in my mind as it could lead to other developments on adjacent Northlands and other owners sites.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 6:39 PM
HVAC guru

In the somewhat near future I see EEDC taking over operation of Expo and the Coliseum, and developing some of the ancillary amenities and expanding into the convention & hotel operations there. Given the central location and easy access to the Coliseum I see that proceeding much sooner than a rink complex at the u, far greater opportunity cost

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
In the somewhat near future I see EEDC taking over operation of Expo and the Coliseum, and developing some of the ancillary amenities and expanding into the convention & hotel operations there. Given the central location and easy access to the Coliseum I see that proceeding much sooner than a rink complex at the u, far greater opportunity cost
It may well be that City trims the sails of EEDC running the convention centre so it focuses on its real role: Economic Development and asks Northlands to run the convention centre as part of its operations.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 6:58 PM
HVAC guru

^ I think that's what they should have done three years ago, absolutely. At this time though I'm not sure if Northlands can recover from the double whammy it has received. But we'll see

Frankly Northlands is a better facility operator than the EEDC is anyways. I'm always a little embarrassed when I attend events at the Shaw, especially events that bring building owners and managers together from out of town

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 8:21 PM

Agree N/lands would run the Shaw better (most likely anyway).

As to U of A arena, I get that Universities like to own and operate their own facilities, but the Expo Centre is proposed to have a 5,000 seat arena w/o a major tenant.

Could the Bears / Pandas ... you know ...consider that?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 8:31 PM

Universities can build facilities to suit their needs perfectly, and pay no taxes while doing so, and possibly generate some cluster economies for tourneys with the GO Centre or whatever it is called.

Expo would probably need to rent below cost, and do so on high demand nights, to lower demand on average tenants.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 8:31 PM
Community Guy

Awful awful ideas... the point of Varsity sports is to be part of the atmosphere ON campus.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton