HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 3:25 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

per the nypost -- lots going on in the mp tied to the highline:

Meatpacking spaces prep for trendy tenants in 2016

By Lois WeissMay 12, 2015 | 9:47pm

The Meatpacking District is getting spicier as several more projects are under way.

Area spies say Neil Bender of William Gottlieb Real Estate has joint-ventured on yet two more projects with Bobby Cayre’s Aurora Capital Associates. The companies already completed 21-27 Ninth Ave., where Sephora and Catch NYC reside.

Now, to entice a dozen new retailers, the nine low-rise buildings at Nos. 48 through 74 Gansevoort Street between Greenwich and Washington streets will undergo tens of millions of dollars’ worth of renovations to the warehouses overseen by BKSK Architects.

The meaty older buildings have historic sidewalk marquees and run 385 feet on Gansevoort Street with another 80 feet along each of the other streets.

The plans are to be revealed at an International Council of Shopping Centers event next week, sources said, with tenants to take occupancy starting in January 2016.

“It’s still in early stages and there is a lot of planning to do,” said Gottlieb’s spokesman, Marty McLaughlin.

The diagonal cross street is a gateway to the Whitney Museum entrance, and the High Line ends there with an elevator and stairs.

To increase palate allure, restaurateur Keith McNally is negotiating to install a rebirth of his beloved Pastis, but no deals have been inked. He did not return calls or e-mails.

Pastis was previously bumped from another Gottlieb/Aurora redevelopment project at 9 Ninth Ave., where a 70,000-square-foot Restoration Hardware store is under construction.

Meanwhile, Gottlieb has also brought in Aurora to co-develop 40 Tenth Ave. This long-awaited redevelopment of an ugly blue warehouse will overlook the Hudson River and back onto the High Line between West 13th and 14th streets.

Jeanne Gang’s Studio Gang Architects has officially been hired by the joint development team to create the 190-foot-tall building known as Solar Carve. This office tower will have 150,000 square feet, of which one-third will be retail. Office rents will likely run north of $150 a foot, in line with the soaring office rents in this desirable tech area. The building has been debated for several years as its “gem-like facade” was sculpted “based on geometric relationships between the building and the sun’s path, as well as the views held between the park and the Hudson.”

Solar Carve is set right across the High Line and west of 860 Washington St., where office asking rents are $135 to $190 per square foot.

That 12-story office tower is under development by Property Group Partners and Romanoff Equities and scheduled to open by the end of this year.

It will also have a two-story retail space designed to be level with the High Line, represented by Joanne Podell at Cushman & Wakefield, who on Tuesday confirmed the plan at a Bisnow event. She is asking $500 a square foot on the second floor next to the High Line and $300 a foot for the ground.

Aurora’s Jared Epstein also spoke at Bisnow. Aurora and Vornado Realty Trust are working on the new office tower on the southwest corner of West 15th at 61 Ninth Ave. on the Prince Lumber site.

We now hear it will be designed by starchitect Rafael Viñoly.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the High Line is being ruined by all of the high rises being constructed around it? I visited the High Line last fall, and between the crowds and building jutting it, I felt closed in. I did not enjoy it nearly as much as I did when it first opened a few years ago.
That's the whole point of the High Line. It would never have been saved in the first place if the development rights weren't able to be transferred to adjacent sites.

And I think it would be a pretty boring park if there were nothing but auto garages and parking lots, as opposed to an orgy of starchitect towers.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 3:58 PM

Considering that the air rights have been sold, my main question is what, if anything, can ever happen underneath the structure? I say this as a non-local, and somebody who hasn't even been to NYC since the High Line opened to see it, so I'm not sure how accessible this space even is. I have always felt that the dark, dingy space beneath industrial structures like this in many cities is an example of wasted space. Now that the High Line has been revitalized with something so creative and vibrant, this seems like the one (possibly minor) outstanding element. Or maybe I'm wrong and this space has been cleaned up and is being used?

In London they have public market underneath a complex of elevated railways. It is one of the coolest uses of leftover space I have ever seen. It seems like the High Line might be an opportunity for something similar.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
Considering that the air rights have been sold, my main question is what, if anything, can ever happen underneath the structure? I say this as a non-local, and somebody who hasn't even been to NYC since the High Line opened to see it, so I'm not sure how accessible this space even is. I have always felt that the dark, dingy space beneath industrial structures like this in many cities is an example of wasted space. Now that the High Line has been revitalized with something so creative and vibrant, this seems like the one (possibly minor) outstanding element. Or maybe I'm wrong and this space has been cleaned up and is being used?

In London they have public market underneath a complex of elevated railways. It is one of the coolest uses of leftover space I have ever seen. It seems like the High Line might be an opportunity for something similar.
There are several areas underneath the High Line that well utilized. The Standard Hotel has their beer garden located under the structure:

Some of the new buildings actually have portions that extend under the High Line, like 505 West 19th Street:

A new restaurant just opened under then High Line next to the Whitney Museum:

There are a few galleries under it as well:

In time, I think it will be pretty integrated into the surrounding fabric.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 12:04 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

New Look For 239 Tenth Avenue, Aka The Getty, High Line Condo Project In West Chelsea

Quote:
The structure’s eight units will stand on top of a 3,392 square-foot art gallery, and each will feature a private outdoor space, with residences averaging 4,700 square feet apiece, per DOB applications filed back in September.

The new renderings give a better idea of the project’s impact viewed from the High Line, which is the epicenter of luxury development in West Chelsea. As YIMBY has previously reported, the block of 24th Street bound by Tenth and Eleventh Avenue is particularly active at the moment, with construction wrapping up on two projects at the same time as its about to begin on both 239 Tenth Avenue and 514 West 24th Street.

Peter Marino’s design for the building will open up the facade facing the elevated park, with much of the southwest corner of the structure sliced away, yielding to a staggered set of terraced balconies.

Viewed from Tenth Avenue, the new building will prove contextual, and will appear to be roughly the same size as 245 Tenth Avenue, next door. It will replace the old Getty Station, hence the project’s name, “The Getty,” which appears on Victor Group’s webpage.
=============================
http://www.yimbynews.com/2015/06/new...t-chelsea.html

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 8:42 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Warehouse worth more than $65M is up for grabs near the High Line

The property at 541 W. 21st St., now used for high-end art storage, could be converted into an office building or hotel.

Quote:
A warehouse building near the High Line that is used to store high-end art may soon become a luxury office building.

The eight-story, 65,000-square-foot property at 541 W. 21st St., less than a block from the elevated park, has hit the market as a potential conversion project. Crozier, an art-storage business, currently occupies the entire building. Its lease expires next year, according to Meridian Investment Sales' David Schechtman, the sales broker leading the marketing effort. It is worth more than $65 million, he estimated.

The longtime landlord, Erno Bodek, has hired Meridian Investment Sales and Rosewood Realty Group, led by President Aaron Jungreis, to jointly handle the century-old building's sale.

"Asking rent for new office space in the neighborhood is $100 per square foot, so we think it's a very attractive opportunity," Mr. Schechtman said. "This building has a lot of the physical characteristics of newly built properties, such as very high ceilings."

The neighborhood surrounding the High Line has become an increasingly desirable commercial district. In recent weeks, Vornado Realty Trust has purchased a stake in a project to build a boutique office building around the corner at 510 W. 22nd St. Major tenants, including Samsung and Hewlett Packard, have also opened offices in the area.

"We're showing this building to potential users who could own their space," Mr. Schechtman said.

The property is zoned for commercial use, making a residential conversion unlikely, but it could be repurposed as a hotel, said Mr. Schechtman. The creation of gallery space is also a possibility. The neighborhood is home to several of the city's biggest galleries.
=============================
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...-the-high-line

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 7:45 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

507 West 28th Street:

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 12:57 AM
N40° 46.8925', W073° 57.3

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 12:33 AM

Reminds me of the original proposal for 5 Franklin Place.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 12:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Wow! Is that Zahas building?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 12:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
507 West 28th Street:

nice glass!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 2:29 AM

That is the franklin Place proposal, not zahas building

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 12:39 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Michael Stern and Largo Investments obtained the construction loan to build a 12-unit condo from Santander Bank

Quote:
The builder of what will be one of the city's tallest luxury condo towers has just secured the financing necessary to break ground on a high-end residential project near the High Line.

Developer Michael Stern, a Crain's 40 Under 40 this year, in partnership with Largo Investments, arranged a $74.5 million construction loan with the Spanish lender Santander Bank to build the Fitzroy, a 10-story, 14-unit condo on West 24th Street, according to sources.

Mr. Stern's firm, JDS Development, and Largo purchased the development site at 514 W. 24th St. a year ago for $34.75 million, according to city records. The project could cost as much as $120 million to build. The partners plan to begin erecting the property in early September and expect to finish it in early 2017.

Mr. Stern and Largo Investments did not comment.

JDS Development recently released renderings of the Roman and Williams-designed project. The building will have a dark terracotta and copper exterior evocative of Art Deco—a notable break from the crop of modern glass and steel residential buildings that surround the High Line.

The Fitzroy will offer large units, with at least two bedrooms, that will be priced in the millions of dollars. The base of the building will offer approximately 8,000 square feet of retail space that will likely be leased to an art gallery. The neighborhood is a popular destination for artists.

The financing deal is the second loan that Mr. Stern has recently secured for a residential development. Last month, Mr. Stern and Property Markets Group received a $725 million construction loan from AIG and Apollo Global Management for the 1,400-plus-foot condo tower they're building at 111 W. 57th St. That construction loan was one of the largest awarded to a developer so far this year.
=====================
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...-secures-74-5m

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 9:21 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Construction Update: 520 W 28

Quote:
Superstructure has started rising above ground at Related's 520 W 28, reaching the third floor. Designed by Zaha Hadid Architects, the 11-story, 40-unit condo flanks the western edge of the High Line at 28th Street. This is quite a busy intersection of the elevated park, with construction underway on the three building 507 W 28 development on the adjacent site to the north.

The building employs Hadid's signature flow of form that has made her an international star. Curved glass at the corners of the l-shaped building soften the overall extrusion of the site's form. Expression of the floor slabs on the facade slope to meet each other, creating zones of intersection. On the High Line facing east facade, floor slabs extend past the glass enclosure and curve upwards, melding with the floor slab above while creating a sheltered balcony.

All eyes are on the project, as the first built work by Hadid's firm in New York. Completion is slated for late 2016.
=========================
http://fieldcondition.com/blog/2015/7/22/520-w-28

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 8:31 PM

New Renderings of 435 West 19th Street, Condo with Private Pools and a Sky Garage

New Renderings of 435 West 19th Street, Condo with Private Pools and a Sky Garage
By Ondel Hylton
July 22, 2015

www.6sqft.com/new-renderings-of-435-west-19th-street-condo-with-private-pools-and-a-sky-garage/

Quote:
Work has begun on on Six Sigma’s upcoming condo at 435 West 19th Street, and the head-to-toe renovation/addition of the 1924 building seems intent on housing all the most outrageous frills of recent West Chelsea builds under a single roof.

Boutique design-and-build firm Six Sigma acquired the 20,000-square-foot office building, once home to the photography studios and sound-stages of CityStage, for $21 million in August 2014. According to the developer’s website, Pei Partnership, a firm founded by the sons of renowned Chinese architect I.M. Pei, is crafting the design. Pei Partnership, not to be confused with Pei Cobb Freed & Partners, was also the designers of The Centurion, the Midtown condo lavishly clad in a cascade of Burgundy limestone.

More info and images in the post here.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2015, 8:47 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ six sigma? oh no they dinnit?!! ooooohhh gawd!

* zig ziglar voice * "what if i told you, that you could close on a 1bdrm for under $5M?"

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 8:56 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Construction Update: 505 West 19th Street

Credit: Tectonic

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 1:30 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Lalezarian pays $1,200 psf for Hudson Yards site

Site: 606 West 30th Street

Quote:
Residential developer Kevin Lalezarian paid an eye-popping $1,200 per-square-foot for a Hudson Yards development site on the High Line where — for at least the time being — he can’t build a single apartment. The builder is betting big that the city will rezone the property at 606 West 30th Street. The site sits on one of the few blocks in a booming neighborhood that remains under a restrictive manufacturing zoning, which permits only some retail and small service and repair shops.

Lalezarian Properties paid $36 million, or roughly $1,200 per square foot, to buy the plot from the family of late real estate investor Anita Butensky Katzman, who died in 2009. Cushman & Wakefield’s Bob Knakal represented the sellers, and Bruce Bartell negotiated the deal on behalf of Lalezarian. The developer could not be immediately reached for comment.

Under the current zoning, the developer is only able raise a building of roughly 30,000 square feet as-of-right. That’s a stark contrast to nearby blocks where sky-scraping apartment towers have risen in recent years behind the backdrop of transformative projects like Related’s Hudson Yards and the High Line. Last year, as the third and final section of the High Line opened to run past the block, the Department of City Planning said it was looking at rezoning the area. Jeff Levine’s Douglaston Development is reportedly in negotiations to acquire a land lease on a handful of properties surrounding Lalezarian’s site. The price of the lease would depend on how much Levine could build following a rezoning.
=====================
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2015/08/....FdG2V1bh.dpuf

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Construction Update: 505 West 19th Street

Credit: Tectonic
This photo is over a year old. The facade is nearly finished on these buildings.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 6:53 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ what i dont understand about that one is the two apt bldgs are connected underneath the highline. i didnt know they were allowed to do that. not sure how the structure can be accessed anymore if necessary for one thing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development