HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Central City Potential Swimming Beach Sites Study and Eastbank Crescent Riverfront Plan. Both up for adoption by resolution at City Council next week. No funding attached as yet.
Nice! I thought those were old dead ideas.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Central City Potential Swimming Beach Sites Study and Eastbank Crescent Riverfront Plan. Both up for adoption by resolution at City Council next week. No funding attached as yet.
ambitious but they will need some extraordinary marketing to get people immersing their head in the water...i wouldn't do that north of the sellwood bridge. sorry portland the zidell property seems like the best. nice sunny exposure, probably hobo free. the others seem like a boobie prize. noisy freeway, hobo camps and needles nearby. im glad people are using the omsi dock but even there , aren't there no swimming signs posted? the current is too swift under the hawthorne bridge for novice swimmers and hipster day drinkers. sellwood's beach is nice though when its not over run by dogs and hobo pirates...the problem with the willamette is people like sandy bottoms, not mud....

Last edited by pdxtex; Jun 3, 2017 at 6:54 PM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 6:56 AM

The Japanese Garden expansion is such a great asset for the city. I hope you all go if you have the chance.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 7:08 AM
A before E

I haven't seen the new buildings yet, I am planning on visiting the gardens some time in September when crowds die down a bit.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 2:08 AM

On Design Commission agenda for October 26th:

Quote:
SOWA-Greenway-Gibbs to Ross Island Bridge
APPLICANT: Alan Park, ZRZ Realty Company
ADDRESS: 3121 Moody Avenue

Design Advice Request hearing for proposed improvements to the Southwaterfront (SOWA) Greenway that runs from SW Gibbs on the south to the Ross Island Bridge on the North, located in the South Waterfront Subdistrict of the Central City Plan District. These proposed Greenway Improvements include two primary design elements: (1) The 2017 update to the 2004 Greenway Development Plan; and (2) the design concept planning for the Slipway.

The Slipway is the area of the Zidell barge launch located at the foot of the Gibbs Street right-of-way, and will provide the primary public access to the river, including a bridge across the Slipway and two docks. The proposed improvements will include the following features: two ADA accessible docks; a floating platform positioned on the historic barge launch rails; a bridge crossing the Slipway connecting the area south of Gibbs to the area north of Gibbs along the river's edge; habitat along the riverbank; adaptive re-use of the historic barge building; and separated pedestrian and bicycle paths that link north to south. A Type Ill South Waterfront ("SOWA") Greenway and Design Review will be required for this proposal.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 12:44 AM

Notice of a Pre-Application Conference for the SOWA-Greenway-Gibbs to Ross Island Bridge

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Burnside footbridge to become a reality

In only 11 days of crowd funding, the Portland Parks Foundation surpassed their $150,000 goal toward construction of a sorely needed pedestrian footbridge connecting Forest Park's Wildwood Trail.

Starting the campaign on Sept. 20, it reached its goal on Sept. 30.

The footbridge has been in demand by concerned community members going back at least 20 years when the crossing of the trail with West Burnside Street in Northwest Portland was identified as problematic in a 1996 study by the Portland Bureau of Transportation Engineering and Development. While an estimated 80,000 people cross at that spot and approximately 18,000 cars zoom by annually, creating a dangerous situation for both drivers and those on the trail.

Article from the Portland Tribune

Last edited by maccoinnich; Oct 11, 2017 at 8:05 PM. Reason: fix link

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 5:30 AM

Quote:
On Design Commission agenda for October 26th:

Quote:
SOWA-Greenway-Gibbs to Ross Island Bridge
APPLICANT: Alan Park, ZRZ Realty Company
ADDRESS: 3121 Moody Avenue

Design Advice Request hearing for proposed improvements to the Southwaterfront (SOWA) Greenway that runs from SW Gibbs on the south to the Ross Island Bridge on the North, located in the South Waterfront Subdistrict of the Central City Plan District. These proposed Greenway Improvements include two primary design elements: (1) The 2017 update to the 2004 Greenway Development Plan; and (2) the design concept planning for the Slipway.

The Slipway is the area of the Zidell barge launch located at the foot of the Gibbs Street right-of-way, and will provide the primary public access to the river, including a bridge across the Slipway and two docks. The proposed improvements will include the following features: two ADA accessible docks; a floating platform positioned on the historic barge launch rails; a bridge crossing the Slipway connecting the area south of Gibbs to the area north of Gibbs along the river's edge; habitat along the riverbank; adaptive re-use of the historic barge building; and separated pedestrian and bicycle paths that link north to south. A Type Ill South Waterfront ("SOWA") Greenway and Design Review will be required for this proposal.
Drawings [11 MB]

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 8:46 PM

Last drawings [18 MB] and memo for the Zidell slipway / South Waterfront Greenway.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Old 25-acre landfill officially becomes new Cully Park

After years of planning and fundraising, community members and Portland officials opened Cully Park Saturday.

The 25-acre park at Northeast 72nd Ave. in Portland was unveiled with live music, Native American drumming and storytelling, food and games for the community.

Funding for the park came from public and private partnerships with the Park System Development Charge — a one time fee assessed on a development that covers a portion of the cost — and various private donations, according to a news release.

Verde, a Portland-based outreach and advocacy group, spearheaded the "Let Us Build Cully Park!" coalition, and raised $70 million in donations from a combination of 50 donors, partners and grants. Portland Parks Commissioner Amanda Fritz devoted $6 million in System Development Charge revenue for the park's construction.
...continues at the Portland Tribune.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 3:57 AM

This is kinda a crappy location for a park. They need to calm Killingsworth so neighbors can safely cross.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 7:34 PM

Already posted this on the Block 216 thread, but I'm sharing it here as well since it's planned to tie in with the proposed Portland Green Loop. From the KATU website:

https://katu.com/news/local/alder-fo...ntown-portland

Alder Food Carts could find new home in downtown Portland

by KATU Staff | Monday, May 3, 2021

Quote:
The popular Alder Food Cart pods could soon be relocating.

There's a proposal to allocate more than $260,000 in the city of Portland's budget to move the pod to a new location.

The new site would be right off Burnside, near Southwest 8th and Ankeny...

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 3:56 PM

Since moving to Portland from Minneapolis five years ago, one of the biggest things we miss about Minneapolis is the food and drink establishments in some of their largest parks. They akin almost to beer gardens you'd find in Germany and other European countries.

For example there's Sea Salt located near Minnehaha Falls.

And, Sandcastle on Lake Nokomis.

These spaces are leased to long local operators. Parks like Washington, Mt. Tabor, Laurelhurst, and Pier could be great spots for places like these.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:14 PM

I've seen this in Europe (Portugal, at least), and would LOVE to see this in Portland.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:40 PM

As was being discussed on another thread, this is something that would be PERFECT for the Portland Waterfront Park. Having some eateries and attractions to draw locals and tourists alike would really transform the waterfront and help with Portland's identity.

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 6:39 PM

Portland unveils plan for city’s South Park Blocks

By Rebecca Ellis | OPB | May 29, 2021

https://www.opb.org/article/2021/05/...k-blocks-plan/

Quote:
New art. New bike paths. More trees. More seating. Fewer cars.

These are some of the highlights of the South Park Blocks master plan, a dramatic redesign of the historical 12-block park in downtown Portland. The plan has been in the city’s pipeline since the spring of 2019 and will officially come before city council on July 7.

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 7:32 PM
BANNED

Are you fucking kidding me ? We have people living in piles of shit and needles on the side of the road and they want to make a park nicer? Fuck that can we please get a functional 911 system, more social workers, homeless services or anything that the city genuinely fucking needs.

I love parks as much as the next person but this is clearly not the time to invest in a park. We are on the precipice of a massive crisis. When the eviction moratorium is up, and unemployment runs out shit is about to get a lot fucking worse.

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 10:34 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I hate to say it, but I agree with CorbinWarrick's comment. I wish the city would focus on the most urgent priorities.

Quote:
The plan has been in the city’s pipeline since the spring of 2019 and will officially come before city council on July 7.
2019. That's infuriating. In 2019, the homeless problem was escalating out of control and had been for years... so of course that means it was the right time to focus on making parks prettier.

What the hell is wrong with city hall?!?

Businesses are boarded up. So many have left. The ones that remain are struggling. The homeless crisis is an epidemic, and by the way, most of them aren't wearing masks and I doubt they've been vaccinated. So, yeah, let's plant some freaking trees.

Please, dear god, please... please, can we find real candidates for Mayor by 2024?!? We've got some clowns on city council that need to go too, but Wheeler needs to go most of all. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but dear lord is he inept. Sarah would have been worse, but that just proves how serious of a problem we have with recruiting decent candidates. Recruit is the correct word. Nobody worth even a bucket of spit seems to want the job. The only hope is that Portlanders get so fed up that we recruit somebody to run for the job.

I'm feeling particularly frustrated by the Arts Tax this year too. I can't even open my windows at night due to the homeless, but here's $35 for art. Art.

Thank god the city wants to plant some trees. That will solve everything.

Considering how little rain we've had this spring, the city should be saving as much of the parks budget as they can for saving our parks once the wildfires come, because we should expect an even more brutal fire season this summer. I'm sure the city will think about that when it's too late.

I love Portland so much. The sheer lack of leadership in this town over the past decade has been heartbreaking.

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 5:29 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
I hate to say it, but I agree with CorbinWarrick's comment. I wish the city would focus on the most urgent priorities.

2019. That's infuriating. In 2019, the homeless problem was escalating out of control and had been for years... so of course that means it was the right time to focus on making parks prettier.

What the hell is wrong with city hall?!?

Businesses are boarded up. So many have left. The ones that remain are struggling. The homeless crisis is an epidemic, and by the way, most of them aren't wearing masks and I doubt they've been vaccinated. So, yeah, let's plant some freaking trees.

Please, dear god, please... please, can we find real candidates for Mayor by 2024?!? We've got some clowns on city council that need to go too, but Wheeler needs to go most of all. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but dear lord is he inept. Sarah would have been worse, but that just proves how serious of a problem we have with recruiting decent candidates. Recruit is the correct word. Nobody worth even a bucket of spit seems to want the job. The only hope is that Portlanders get so fed up that we recruit somebody to run for the job.

I'm feeling particularly frustrated by the Arts Tax this year too. I can't even open my windows at night due to the homeless, but here's $35 for art. Art.

Thank god the city wants to plant some trees. That will solve everything.

Considering how little rain we've had this spring, the city should be saving as much of the parks budget as they can for saving our parks once the wildfires come, because we should expect an even more brutal fire season this summer. I'm sure the city will think about that when it's too late.

I love Portland so much. The sheer lack of leadership in this town over the past decade has been heartbreaking.
Bring it down a bit, the homeless issue in Portland had been decreasing for years before the pandemic. This renovation to the SW Park Blocks would better connect it to the Green Loop, which is also a part of the Parks Department, which isn't in charge of tackling homelessness. This money also comes from a separate pot. Plus Multnomah County and Portland are putting together a huge package to do just that, tackle homelessness and those that are on the verge of homelessness.

The city can and does work on more than one issue at a time.

If wildfires are burning up Portland Parks, then there is probably a much bigger issue to worry about since the city of Portland would probably also be on fire.

In this day and age, I am not sure why anyone would want to be mayor, it seems like the moment they take office they get crapped on for not fixing every problem instantly. I am not a fan of Wheeler, but I remember this happening the moment he took office because he didn't magically fix the problems that were created from the past mayors. I think if people in Portland really want to see improvements and changes, it is going to come from those that volunteer and invest in helping the city, not just from the mayor and city council. Back when Vera Katz was mayor, people in Portland took pride in their city and volunteered to keep it looking nice.

As for the art tax, it would have made more sense just tacking that to property taxes rather than have it be a separate tax everyone in Portland pays for. It would also make more sense for the city to make sure its more transparent with how much money is collected from it and where that money is going, especially if its going to aid the art community and promote and establish new arts projects from local artists.

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 7:50 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Bring it down a bit
...sorry, but no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Back when Vera Katz was mayor, people in Portland took pride in their city and volunteered to keep it looking nice.
Wow.

You.

Couldn't.

Be.

More.

Wrong.

If.

You.

DARE.

Suggest.

That.

Portlanders.

Aren't.

Volunteering.

Every.

Day.

I dare you to click those links. 300 pounds of trash. 1,000 pounds of trash. 3,000 pounds of trash. And that's just one example of one kind of volunteerism happening every day here.

You're the one who said Portlanders used to do more to keep the city nice, and you couldn't be more wrong. Have we ever, in our city's entire history, seen more people volunteering to clean this city up, day after day, week after week, month after month, with no end in sight to the mess? And that's just the trash. I didn't even mention any of the countless other ways Portlanders are pitching in to make the city look better.

I honestly doubt the amount of volunteering in Portland has ever been higher than it is today. No one with even a shred of credibility would question how much Portlanders love our city, nor is anyone questioning how much Portlanders are willing to do for our city. Volunteerism in this town is through the roof. But there's no leadership at the top. NONE.

N. O. N. E.

We haven't had a decent mayor since Vera. Sam Adams was a fantastic advocate for our city, but he was a terrible mayor due to his scattered management style. Potter? Hales? Seat warmers. Wheeler? Oooof. It's been seventeen years since we've had any leadership at city hall. SEVENTEEN YEARS.

But, hey, let's spend money making our parks pretty before we solve the problem that's leading to them getting trashed in the first place, because THAT makes sense.

Last edited by 2oh1; May 30, 2021 at 8:51 AM. Reason: Typo

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues