HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 8:25 AM

It probably will, eventually; just depends on the economy.

Looking at that pdf, the redesign is terrible. It extends too far south into a largely undeveloped area and creates a seperation from downtown. Not good.

Last edited by PhxPavilion; Aug 21, 2008 at 8:44 AM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxPavilion View Post
It probably will, eventually; just depends on the economy.

Looking at that pdf, the redesign is terrible. It extends too far south into a largely undeveloped area and creates a seperation from downtown. Not good.
Agreed...mostly.

I like some of the elements of the redesign, but it should continue west toward Central along Jackson St and it must engage the north side of Jackson as well as the stuff that was going on around USAC and the parking garage. Without that, it will create a dead zone between it and the rest of downtown (Cityscape, etc.).

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 7:36 PM

I was gonna post these last night but photobucket was jacked up.

Some highlights of the narrative:

Sure the redesign could raise some questions but I for one would just be excited to have Jackson street "pimped out" and with an Art House cinema and maybe a House of Blue's, a hotel and some more little street-side bars and cafe's.... I know this project would probably take a decade to come to fruition, but I am excited about the small stuff. Jackson street has so much potential. It would be so fun to leave the Dbacks games and walk Jackson, bar hopping... I would prefer for the hotel to be an upscale, trendy, modern hotel personally.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 2:47 AM

^ Looks pretty nifty to me.

--don

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 5:29 AM

i liked the original idea of wrapping the garage and arena... i just doesn't feel right extending south. i should engage more of downtown.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 6:45 AM

As much as is it disappointing to see the project move further south, I don't think we can reasonably expect them to go anywhere else. I mean, they have filled in most of the space along Jackson between Central and Chase Field. That is pretty decent redevelopment. Even if they only added the projects along Jackson we would see a significant revival in downtown nightlife. The projects that extend into the warehouse area are just a logical extension of that. There really isn't much land north of Jackson that is available in the area. With the exception of the parking lot to the west of USAC, there isn't much for them to build on. There is cheap land toward the south and all of it is close to both the lightrail and the stadiums.

I would wager that the projects like the HoB and Cinema will go in well before the hotels and other retail space to the south of Jackson.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynnjamin View Post
As much as is it disappointing to see the project move further south, I don't think we can reasonably expect them to go anywhere else.

Why can't they do this again? I would expect them to move south after having completed the above first, thus connecting with downtown and expanding from there.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 2:19 AM
-_-

eh, I think it's fine if they develop towards the south rather than north. It will makes those blocks in between even more tempting for development.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxPavilion View Post

Why can't they do this again? I would expect them to move south after having completed the above first, thus connecting with downtown and expanding from there.
My guess is that there are a couple of reasons, first if you look at the original concept it relies heavily on two parking garages to provide space for retail and the like. The one at 4th St and Jackson and the one attached to USAWC along with the lot just west of USAWC, now when you take into consideration that the W Hotel is no longer a go and neither is the 12 story building atop the Sun Merc the retail around the 4th and Jackson garage would seem very disjointed. Also, I don’t remember the details but I recall that there where some rumblings about how enthusiastic Steve Kerr was in getting involved with this development so at this point the garage along USAWC may have been put in doubt.

Now if you look at the new renderings and compare them to the original idea you can see that the focus still remains on 2nd St and Jackson and extends outward. So with that in mind following the path of least resistance from this point it would seem logical to look for cheaper more available land which takes you south and to keep it closer to foot traffic i.e. USWAC and Chase Field it would also take you east. Many of the surface parking lots available to both venues are in this area and during events there is a tremendous amount of foot traffic in this area, even more than north of Jefferson. So it just seems logical to go this route and in fact engaging what is left in the warehouse district would great idea. If you remember one of the first attempts at true lofts were the Stadium Lofts on 2nd St and Buchanan and lets not forget the first true high rise condo in downtown (Summit) also happened in the warehouse district.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 8:08 PM
Skyriser

You can't propose a rezoning of properties you don't own. If the City hasn't signed off on all the workings of the deal, then that's why the garages, etc aren't included here. I'm sure after this is rezoned a separate development agreement will end up between the City and the JSED partners that will end up with tax rebates, etc as well as disposition of the garages.

By then, the residential financing might exist for those wraps because the plan looks to be significantly missing the residential component. A financing issue in and of itself might also be why residential is missing from this plan.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 6:29 AM
this could have been...

i'm not really liking what i see overall. kinda disappointed, but hopeful.
maybe they should rename it the "Southside of Jackson St Ent. Dist."
(and farther south.)

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 4:29 PM

I agree with combusean. I think once the residential market improves and things stabilize, we'll see Sarver and Co. jump into the mix (resurrect the W?) and fill out those areas around USAC and the parking garages. And once things start to happen on the Luhrs block, we'll see a really nice transformation of that area.

I do like the new proposal...the mid-height towers and such really would look nice in that area and can only help integrate the Warehouse district into the overall urbanization of DT.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admdavid View Post
I agree with combusean. I think once the residential market improves and things stabilize, we'll see Sarver and Co. jump into the mix (resurrect the W?) and fill out those areas around USAC and the parking garages. And once things start to happen on the Luhrs block, we'll see a really nice transformation of that area.

I do like the new proposal...the mid-height towers and such really would look nice in that area and can only help integrate the Warehouse district into the overall urbanization of DT.
I am not sure that Sarver desires to "jump in the mix" - ever. The JSED group is doing the best they can after the City sold the Garage to Sarver without requiring housing wrapped around it, as was suggested from the District's inception. Missed opportunity, probably not coming back...oh well.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 9:00 PM

Just again trying to keep everything organized under this designated thread:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=7170

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT_LIVING
JSED Neighborhood Meeting Tonight

I apologize for this being a last minute notice but somehow I missed the original email from our association. I plan on going upstairs to check things out. If anyone else is interested come on down. The meeting is here at the Summit in the meeting room on the 23rd floor from 6 - 8 pm. Here is an excerpt from that email:

"NEIGHBORHOOD MEETING NOTICE

August 25, 2008

Dear Property Owner, Resident, or Neighborhood Association President:

The purpose of this letter is to inform you that Lazarus and Associates, on behalf of Jackson Street Entertainment District LLC, has recently filed rezoning request Z-07-78-08 and Minor General Plan Amendment GPA-CC-1-08-8, for a 12 acre irregular shaped site located at the southwest corner of 4th Street and Jackson Street (see attached aerial map).

The request would change the zoning from Warehouse Overlay, Downtown Core, A-1 with two (2) Historic Preservation properties to Planned Unit Development (PUD) with two (2) Historic Preservation properties. The requested Minor General Plan Amendment would change the designation from Industrial to Mixed-Use.

We would like to invite you to a neighborhood meeting to discuss these cases and the proposed development. The meeting will be held on Monday, September 8th, 2008 at 6pm at The Summit, 310 South 4th Street, Club 252 on the 23rd floor.

Attached is a copy of the cover page of our application along with conceptual site plans and elevations. A copy of our entire PUD Development Narrative, containing the complete details of this request, is on file with the City of Phoenix Planning Department and available on-line at http://phoenix.gov/PLANNING/pudcases.html. The following describes our requests:

Proposed change: The overall goal of these requested changes is to allow for the development of vibrant, mixed-use, live/work/play district complete with boutique hotels, a variety of residential options, and an assortment of entertainment options including restaurants, lounges, cafes, an arthouse cinema, and a live music venue. The PUD application calls for a minimum of 235 residential units, although full build-out will likely, (and hopefully), result in a much more robust number of 500-700 units. Taller buildings are used intermittently across the 12 acre site, with specific height limits on specific properties as shown in exhibits. No defined density or lot coverage standards currently exist on the properties nor does the application propose limits.

Existing Use: The majority of the uses on the site today consist of surface parking lots, dilapidated and/or vacant structures, or significantly underutilized sites. There is one functioning retail use (Jackson’s on 3rd) and one much needed residential use (The Summit). A couple of functioning storage and wholesaling operations also exist. The two (2) existing historic properties in the application will be renovated and adapted with new uses, while plans call for a third property, which is not designated historic, to also be renovated, dedicated, and adapted with new uses.

Please be advised that meetings and hearings before the Central City Village Planning Committee and the Planning Commission are planned to review this case as well. Specific meeting and hearing dates have not yet been set. You should receive a subsequent mailing identifying the date and location of the meetings/hearings when they have been scheduled.

Please contact me or George Pasquel III at my office to learn more about the case and express your concerns. The City of Phoenix Village Planner assigned to this case is Susan R. Sargent. This planner can answer your questions regarding the City review and hearing processes as well as the staff position once their report is complete. You may contact Susan at 602.262.4065 or Susan.Sargent@Phoenix.gov. You may also make your feelings known by writing to the City of Phoenix Planning Department, 200 West Washington Street, Phoenix, Arizona 85003 and referencing the case number. Your letter will be made part of the case file.

Again, I would be happy to answer any questions or hear any concerns that you may have regarding this proposal.

Very truly yours,

Larry S. Lazarus
LAZARUS & ASSOCIATES, P.C.

Attachments:Aerial Map
Application Cover Page
Elevations
Site Plan

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 9:13 PM

Thanks KingLouie. I was just about ready to adding my post to this thread.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANUC View Post
My guess is that there are a couple of reasons, first if you look at the original concept it relies heavily on two parking garages to provide space for retail and the like. The one at 4th St and Jackson and the one attached to USAWC along with the lot just west of USAWC, now when you take into consideration that the W Hotel is no longer a go and neither is the 12 story building atop the Sun Merc the retail around the 4th and Jackson garage would seem very disjointed. Also, I don’t remember the details but I recall that there where some rumblings about how enthusiastic Steve Kerr was in getting involved with this development so at this point the garage along USAWC may have been put in doubt.

Now if you look at the new renderings and compare them to the original idea you can see that the focus still remains on 2nd St and Jackson and extends outward. So with that in mind following the path of least resistance from this point it would seem logical to look for cheaper more available land which takes you south and to keep it closer to foot traffic i.e. USWAC and Chase Field it would also take you east. Many of the surface parking lots available to both venues are in this area and during events there is a tremendous amount of foot traffic in this area, even more than north of Jefferson. So it just seems logical to go this route and in fact engaging what is left in the warehouse district would great idea. If you remember one of the first attempts at true lofts were the Stadium Lofts on 2nd St and Buchanan and lets not forget the first true high rise condo in downtown (Summit) also happened in the warehouse district.
Concerning the inconsistent progress (if any at all) of Jackson street,

The first " RED FLAG/s" that looms is/are:

those seriously outdated or (re-modified) highrises of downtown.

First of all, those CITYSCAPE highrise renderings are painted as 40 story

towers & now they have shrunk to 34 & 26 story towers respectively.

The "W" is now dead but it is mysteriously still in the rendering.

& the summit in that photo resembles a 30 story or 300 + foot tower, but

instead its a dinky little cracker-jack box that is dwarfed by chase field.

(DONT GET ME WRONG ! Im not saying the rendering is your fault, I just brought it up to make a point about Jackson street.)
I said all that to say this:

it wouldnt surprise me if something "goes screwy" with

the project.

but on the other hand hopefully I """will be surprised"""

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 11:05 PM
BANNED

""Thanks for chiming in""

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 6:34 AM

Vandercook once mentioned that he had ljbuild on some sort of "block" or "ignore" status. Can anyone tip me off as to how to do the same, I get super irritated every time he adds his two absurdly annoying multi-font cents.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 8:10 AM

Then don't read it?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvbahn View Post
Vandercook once mentioned that he had ljbuild on some sort of "block" or "ignore" status. Can anyone tip me off as to how to do the same, I get super irritated every time he adds his two absurdly annoying multi-font cents.
I'll help you out: Right click on the underlined name you want to block. Select OPEN. You can do this from any post of said forumer. This will go to their user profile. Under the name to the right you will see in white text that states something like "Add so & so to your ignore list". Click on that and a pop-up window will come up where you can control your ignore list.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest