HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 7:44 PM
Eagle Scout since 9/28/09

That is amazing Decojim! The design of the crown is especially admirable!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 7:50 PM

Next Modular Building

Source: brickset.com

I think the upcoming modular building set is quite a disappointment. The façades are way too simple on both buildings and have no texture (I don't think using the 1x2 masonry bricks so unsparingly counts as texture). The alleyway in between is nice, along with how the balconies sort of echo that space between. I feel like the parapet details are way too dumbed down as well since they appear to only utilize one or two already oddly-shaped elements instead of using smaller pieces to evoke an overall theme. The backside only further disappoints, in my opinion.

Overall, though, there's a definite lack of placement in architectural context, which I thought was the whole point of this series from the beginning?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 11:34 PM
Meh

Agreed on the parapet comment. The scale doesn't seem right with the rest of the building. They look really clumsy.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 3:10 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Wow. I love it! My favorite Detroit building. How much does that monster weigh??
Thanks!
The building weighs approximately 190 pounds (86 KG), which is more than my Penobscot building due to thicker walls and the larger number of small detail parts. Only my Fisher Building (version 3 is almost 300 pounds / 135 KG) is heavier.

RE: Detective Office:
The nice thing about the Cafe Corner series (or any LEGO sets for that matter) is that if you do not like an aspect of it, you replace any portion of it with a better design. I think its a good set (as are the other CC series sets) because it comes with over 2,200 parts that are good for architecture in general. I am not a set collector so maintaining the "integrity" of the set is not that important.

Last edited by DecoJim; Nov 18, 2014 at 3:28 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 8:23 PM
Lowe's

I though I read that this was just a MOC that someone was trying to get built like the Ghostbusters set and so on.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 8:23 PM
Lowe's

I love it though if it is going to be built.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 8:10 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Detroit Skyline in LEGO

Yesterday me and other members of the Michigan LEGO Users Group / Train Club (MichLUG/MichLTC) completed the setup of our annual train and town layout at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan. I believe this is the largest LEGO skyline that we have displayed in MichLUG history.

Photo Credit: DecoJim/Flickr

The display is at the museum from November 24, 2014 to January 4, 2015.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 12:50 AM
Meh

Man, those are beautiful. The Guardian Building and the David Stott Building are my faves. So pretty. Detroit has some of my favorite old towers anyway, but seeing them modeled in LEGO is incredible. What building is that in the lower left?

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 4:13 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Man, those are beautiful. The Guardian Building and the David Stott Building are my faves. So pretty. Detroit has some of my favorite old towers anyway, but seeing them modeled in LEGO is incredible. What building is that in the lower left?
Thanks!

The building in the lower left with the clock tower is a model of the Union Depot (1893 - 1971) which stood on 3rd and Fort Street. After sitting vacant for 3 years, it was torn down in 1974. I made that model as well.

http://www.historicdetroit.org/building/union-depot/

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 6:37 AM
Meh

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 12:25 AM
Lowe's

I picked up the Detective Office and the Toy Shop today.... Ugh the line was out of the door because of the Frozen sets....

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 8:09 AM

Building Chicago: Phase 1

Building Chicago

I believe I have reached a point in my growth as an artist, whose medium is the LEGO® brick, where I have come to realize a vision of what I hope to achieve through my mode of expression. I am, therefore, establishing the basis to which all further Chicago skyscraper models made by myself will adhere to; the eventual realization and rigorous realistic representation of a contiguous layout of the Downtown area of Chicago at 1:650 scale.

Though no accurate timeline currently exists, I would estimate its realization in no less than ten years. I would also estimate, albeit much more freely, that the final model would size up around 20'x18', with an estimated parts count of somewhere between two and three million LEGO® pieces.

Phase 1

Phase 1 is what I am calling my first broad-scope layout of the city. My plan, over the next few months, is to combine my current six-building Chicago River layout with my current four-building Millennium Park Skyline layout. To join these layouts, I will be designing and building numerous small and mid-size buildings of the North Loop/Chicago River area. These include various well-known buildings such as Mather Tower, London Guarantee Building, 333 North Michigan, Hotel Monaco, Hotel 71 & the Equitable Building.

You can expect to see the whole thing at Brickworld Chicago in June. The theme this year is Brick to the Future. And what better way to look to the future than with the first step toward the first-ever contiguous layout of a major global city? I hope you're as excited as I am!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 3:00 AM

Source: LEGO Ideas

This is a really cool idea. I like how well this exemplifies contemporary ideas of adaptability, while still remaining simplistic and reserved.

Last edited by rjb001; Jan 25, 2015 at 3:17 AM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 5:21 AM
I am a typical

I'd do that in something other than black. Maybe dark grey with pink accents.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 5:17 PM
Lowe's

I like it

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 11:59 PM
Meh

Yeah, it reminds me of stuff you'd find in Scandinavian cities.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 6:41 AM
Lowe's

Happy Birthday Lego!!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb001 View Post

Building Chicago

I believe I have reached a point in my growth as an artist, whose medium is the LEGO® brick, where I have come to realize a vision of what I hope to achieve through my mode of expression. I am, therefore, establishing the basis to which all further Chicago skyscraper models made by myself will adhere to; the eventual realization and rigorous realistic representation of a contiguous layout of the Downtown area of Chicago at 1:650 scale.

Though no accurate timeline currently exists, I would estimate its realization in no less than ten years. I would also estimate, albeit much more freely, that the final model would size up around 20'x18', with an estimated parts count of somewhere between two and three million LEGO® pieces.

Phase 1

Phase 1 is what I am calling my first broad-scope layout of the city. My plan, over the next few months, is to combine my current six-building Chicago River layout with my current four-building Millennium Park Skyline layout. To join these layouts, I will be designing and building numerous small and mid-size buildings of the North Loop/Chicago River area. These include various well-known buildings such as Mather Tower, London Guarantee Building, 333 North Michigan, Hotel Monaco, Hotel 71 & the Equitable Building.

You can expect to see the whole thing at Brickworld Chicago in June. The theme this year is Brick to the Future. And what better way to look to the future than with the first step toward the first-ever contiguous layout of a major global city? I hope you're as excited as I am!
Oh wowie!!! This is fantastic! I am pumped for this idea, absolutely! I wish I could guarantee that I could come to Brickworld to see it in person, but finances may scuttle that possibility ... Please post updates as often as you can!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 9:06 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb001 View Post
I believe I have reached a point in my growth as an artist, whose medium is the LEGO® brick, where I have come to realize a vision of what I hope to achieve through my mode of expression.
Pretty lofty stuff. I just consider myself a builder of custom LEGO models!

I do look forward to seeing the complete Chicago CBD built of LEGO.

Here is a minifig scale model I built of the Christopher R. Mabley residence, circa 1881, 1105 Woodward Ave. Detroit, Michgan.

Photo Credit: DecoJim/Flickr

Christopher R. Mabley (1836-1885) was responsible for opening a series of clothing and department stores in Detroit, Toledo, Cincinnati, and other cities. At one point J.L.Hudson was in his employ managing the clothing dept. in Detroit (Hudson later built the 2nd largest Department Store in the USA). When Mabley died, his estate was worth $500,000 (about $13 million in 2014 dollars).

Those familiar with Cincinnati who recognize the name of Joseph Carew. Mr Mabley was the one who hired Carew and later made him a partner in his Cincinnati store; when Mabley died, Carew took over the entire Cincinnati operation. Carew and his business did quite well; the Mabley & Carew store was later replaced by the 49 story Carew Tower!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 9:52 PM
Leg godt!

Hello all,
I'm Louis from Canada and I have followed this thread since one year ago. Its awesome what people can create with Lego pieces. JSR and DecoJim simply WOW!.

So I decided to create my own large scale model ( an easy one ( cause was the first one)).
I have built the Empire state building with around 6,900 pieces and 6'4'' tall.

Here's a pic of my 1:202 scale model. Tell me what you think about it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art