HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 2:36 PM

SC4 - Depeche Commonwealth

The game might be a decade old, but I've recently got back into playing SC4 thanks to 2Gb of various mods and buildings.

Due to a combiation of absence playing the game for some time, and the new mods, I have been experimenting with ways of building settlements, including the implication of more realistic interchanges, tunnel methods (road under road), parks, and more organic street layouts.

The ultimate goal is to create a semi-realistic region with three large urban cores, dozens of periphery commuter settlements and various rural/agriculture-based communities amongst the hills.

For instance in one region tile, three neighbouring settlements are separated by natural formations. As would be the case in reality, these settlements are connected by a lengthy (but cheap) route that loops around the natural barriers. This also lends to the creation of a ferry system connecting the settlements around the bay.

The region is composed of 96 (12x8) large tiles, and I have only just scratched the surface.

(13mb version here: http://i.minus.com/iHavdlRbrF5tS.png)

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 2:45 PM

Great landscape setup! Any stats on the cities themselves and how they're performing?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 3:47 PM

Focus at the moment is on two agricultural communities (to the bottom right and top centre left), and a large urban community in the centre right. However I may rebalance the large urban area (two test areas of medium and high density) towards the peninsula which I originally planned as being a large coastal commuter belt area.

Off the top of my head, the region population is at c. 250,000. Only issue is trying to put together a competent public transport network. It is also a pain having to pop in-and-out of each tile.

If SimCity 5 was simply one massive region tile then I'd be pretty much sorted for the next decade.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 1:50 PM

I don't think they're fixed that in Sim City 5 but I could be mistaken.

I'd love to see more close ups of your regions

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art