HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 2:28 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
1. Again, _there's just not sufficient RoW_. Look in North Austin where it runs right through residential, the Domain, etc. Look at the bridge over the rail at Braker, 2222, etc. Look at where it runs through the middle of Mopac. If there was any extra room there, they would have tried to use it for the Mopac expansion (instead of the narrow lanes, no shoulder "solution" they came up with). I'm less familiar with South Austin, San Marcos, New Braunfels, San Antonio, but I'm sure there's similar chokepoints there.

2. Let's imagine there was extra width, and you need to move the existing tracks "10 or so feet". So now you have the expense of building _2_ new lines adjacent to it, while simultaneously trying to keep the existing freight running the whole time.

3. They've been working on this for close to 10 years. The only reason UP is even _considering_ cooperating is that they'd actually get an improved freight line out of it. You want to throw out all of that, all the work, all that political capital, the ability to use the freight rail relocation fund, etc. Instead, you'll tell UP that they'll get nothing, no improvements, but they'll get headache and delays for years of construction.
They'll tell you to get lost.

4. You'll throw out _all_ the ancillary improvements. Instead of reduced congestion from getting freight out of the middle of the cities, you'll get more. Instead of reducing noise in residential areas, you'll get more. Instead of reducing localized emissions (Austin is close to non-attainment status), you'll get more.
It's true they have been working on it for 10 years, and it's true they want to build the UP a brand new freight corridor bypassing Austin. But there are no federal programed source of funds identified to accomplish it. D.C. is not going to magically fund a $2 Billion rail corridor just for freights without an existing established program. The likelihood that a rail corridor bypassing Austin will be their first example is extremely small.
I'm sorry I can't get really excited about this un-fundable plan. It's been 10 years in the planning and they still haven't found any construction funds.

The FEIS planning process, which is required for federal funds, was just initiated last December (2013). As far as the federal government is concerned, that's when the planning was started - not 10 years ago. Everything studied the last 10 years isn't on the table, the new study will start afresh without all that old baggage.

I disagree there isn't room for a two track alignment in the median of the MoPac freeway. I suggest checking out several medians on several freeways in LA and Cook Counties where double track rail corridors exist against the width of the MoPac median. You just might be surprised.

MoPac Freeway, median width 85 feet.
I-94 Dan Ryan Freeway, median width 40 feet.
I-105 Glenn Anderson Freeway, median width 45 feet.

I suggest the MoPac freeway's median width is more than capable of handling a double track rail corridor. What you'll find is the use of concrete safety barriers to separate freeway and railroad traffic that's not presently used on the MoPac, but they can be installed using FTA "New Starts" funding. The same concrete safety barriers can be used to protect bridge piers as well. Golly, how does Lone Star Rail plan to place a wider train station in the median of the MoPac if there isn't room? They can because there really is room.

The truth is it's the UP that objects. It's the UP that wants a brand new rail corridor. Believe it or not, they already own a corridor from Taylor to San Marcos (old MKT) via Smithfield they could reroute trains on. Apparently, it's got too many twists and grades and they don't want to use it even though they already own it. The official FEIS will find it because I will make sure they learn about it during the "public" participation process.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
It's true they have been working on it for 10 years, and it's true they want to build the UP a brand new freight corridor bypassing Austin. But there are no federal programed source of funds identified to accomplish it. D.C. is not going to magically fund a $2 Billion rail corridor just for freights without an existing established program.
So before you were saying that they wouldn't pay for the whole thing ("there is an upper limit"), and now you're saying they won't pay anything? Which is it?
You're also ignoring the state freight rail relocation fund.

Quote:
I'm sorry I can't get really excited about this un-fundable plan.
So you're excited about an _even more_ expensive plan that isn't funded?

Quote:
The FEIS planning process, which is required for federal funds, was just initiated last December (2013).
They claim the environmental studies started in 2010.
http://lonestarrail.com/index.php/ls...ject-timeline/

You want to throw that all out and start over completely.

Quote:
As far as the federal government is concerned, that's when the planning was started - not 10 years ago. Everything studied the last 10 years isn't on the table, the new study will start afresh without all that old baggage.
But they're not the only ones concerned. There's the state, UP, the cities, the regional transportation agencies, etc.

Quote:
Golly, how does Lone Star Rail plan to place a wider train station in the median of the MoPac if there isn't room? They can because there really is room.
Are you really asking how there can be room for a rail and station, but not room for two rails (plus buffer) and a station?

Quote:
The truth is it's the UP that objects. It's the UP that wants a brand new rail corridor.
And the UP calls the shots. They don't have to do jack squat unless they want to and we make it worth their while. We can't even eminent domain them.

Quote:
Believe it or not, they already own a corridor from Taylor to San Marcos (old MKT) via Smithfield they could reroute trains on. Apparently, it's got too many twists and grades and they don't want to use it even though they already own it.
Golly, why doesn't UP want to take the longer, twistier, slower, more expensive route, instead of the one straight through Austin that they own?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 7:45 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
They claim the environmental studies started in 2010.
Now you're being argumentative. The contract to hire consultants to conduct the FEIS wasn't signed until December 2013, here's the link.
http://lonestarrail.com/index.php/lstar/
Environmental Studies to Start in 2014
Lone Star Rail District (LSRD) is set to launch the federal environmental process. The Board selected a consultant team in early Oct. and awarded the contract to Burns & McDonnell on Dec. 6, 2013. Contract negotiations are underway and should wrap up in early 2014. LSRD expects to kick off the environmental studies on the combined passenger rail-freight rail bypass immediately thereafter.

Do you really think Burns & McDonnell would start the EIS study three years sooner without a contract for payment? They weren't even selected to do the job until October 2013.

If you can't believe the Lone Star web site, who else is there?

It is true the UP has the upper hand because they own the corridor. But other transit agencies have settled with the UP to get access for far less than a brand new $2 Billion rail corridor. Additionally, the Texas program for rail relocation doesn't and probably will never have $2 Billion to work with on a single project. It's basically unfunded today, but I'l grant that may change in the future.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 8:56 PM

Quote:
If you can't believe the Lone Star web site, who else is there?
Says the guy not believing the Lone Star web site that says they've been doing environmental reviews (and other planning) for 4 years.

Again, the federal process is not the only aspect of this project.

Quote:
It is true the UP has the upper hand because they own the corridor. But other transit agencies have settled with the UP to get access for far less than a brand new $2 Billion rail corridor.
You keep quoting this $2 Billion number. What's your source for that?

This material says 1.2-1.6
http://www.cg-la.com/documents/NALF5...neStarRail.pdf

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 4:16 AM

Lightbulb

Eventually, the federal government will look if Austin can afford this new regional plan. In Texas, the usual "main" source of revenues for transit agencies is the sales tax.
Here's the sales tax revenues for FY 2012-2013 for various Texas transit agencies:

Houston METRO = $632.9 million
Dallas DART = $455.7 million
Austin CapMetro = $179 million
San Antonio VIA = $163.3 million
Fort Worth T = $57.2 million

Austin just doesn't collect the tax revenues needed to build and maintain a rail transit system as large as Dallas or Houston - even if they succeed getting FTA "New Starts" full funding agreement funds. Houston collects over 3 and 1/2 times as much transit tax revenues as CapMetro, DFW collects 2 and 7/8 times as much transit tax revenue as CapMetro.

Transit expectations in Austin must reflect that sobering fact.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 12:51 PM
CIA since 2003

Quote:
Eventually, the federal government will look if Austin can afford this new regional plan. In Texas, the usual "main" source of revenues for transit agencies is the sales tax.
Here's the sales tax revenues for FY 2012-2013 for various Texas transit agencies:

Houston METRO = $632.9 million
Dallas DART = $455.7 million
Austin CapMetro = $179 million
San Antonio VIA = $163.3 million
Fort Worth T = $57.2 million

Austin just doesn't collect the tax revenues needed to build and maintain a rail transit system as large as Dallas or Houston - even if they succeed getting FTA "New Starts" full funding agreement funds. Houston collects over 3 and 1/2 times as much transit tax revenues as CapMetro, DFW collects 2 and 7/8 times as much transit tax revenue as CapMetro.

Transit expectations in Austin must reflect that sobering fact.
Lonestar does not receive sales tax unless it is generated on property they own. Their operations are expected to be supported by Tax Increment Financing around their stations. They are currently negotiating deals for TIFs in various municipalities, and have received tentative approval for one in Austin.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 5:17 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan View Post
Lonestar does not receive sales tax unless it is generated on property they own. Their operations are expected to be supported by Tax Increment Financing around their stations. They are currently negotiating deals for TIFs in various municipalities, and have received tentative approval for one in Austin.
How many trains can a TIF in downtown Austin support? Can it generate enough revenues to support both Lone Star and a streetcar line? A similar situation will occur in downtown San Antonio, where two different type of trains are expecting TIF funds. Hasn't Round Rock withdrawn any revenue generating support for Lone Star? How soon will other intermediate cities follow its example? It seems they all expect something for nothing.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
How many trains can a TIF in downtown Austin support? Can it generate enough revenues to support both Lone Star and a streetcar line?
Since they would be different TIF zones, it would be completely unrelated. You're also ignoring the 5-6 _other_ tif zones that would be in Austin(plus others in other cities).

Quote:
Hasn't Round Rock withdrawn any revenue generating support for Lone Star?
No, you may be thinking of Georgetown, but they rejoined.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 1:10 PM
CIA since 2003

Quote:
How many trains can a TIF in downtown Austin support? Can it generate enough revenues to support both Lone Star and a streetcar line? A similar situation will occur in downtown San Antonio, where two different type of trains are expecting TIF funds. Hasn't Round Rock withdrawn any revenue generating support for Lone Star? How soon will other intermediate cities follow its example? It seems they all expect something for nothing.
TIF is not being proposed for urban rail, at least for the initial investment. The capital is expected to come from a City of Austin general obligation bond election and federal New Starts funds. The operating funds will likely come from Capital Metro's share of sales tax.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 5:57 PM
Meh

Quote:
It's official! Austin B-cycle set a North American bikeshare system record on Friday of 10.1 checkouts per bike/day, besting the previous September 2013 record of 7.2 checkouts/bike of NYC's Citi Bike. We had over 17,000 checkouts totaling 22,744 miles ridden during ‪#‎SXSW‬. Woot!

Austin B-cycle's Photos - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5316140&type=1

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 2:07 AM
Meh

KXAN also reported that MetroRail saw 30,000 riders from March 7-16. MetroRapid buses saw a 110% increase in ridership on Sunday.

http://kxan.com/2014/03/17/austins-b...s-during-sxsw/

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 6:35 PM

Speaking of CAP METRO rail.....are we still saying that it sucks?

I drove from Austin(from the corner of 45/183) to San Antonio(near downtown) at 5:40 and I ended up at my destination in SA around 7:30am. On the way home, I left SA around 2:45 and didnt get back to my apt until 5:30. I WISHED I had a fast relatively cheap train to take. I'll keep saying this, Metro red line is busy. The park and ride lots are packed, daily.

So either one of two things are going on:
1. They built the lots too small, so I looks busier than it could be otherwise.
or
2. It is busy.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 3:33 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...sing-lady.html

A tunnel under the river, stretching from East Riverside to 15th St?

I'm intrigued. Please continue.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 3:44 AM
Meh

I like the tunnel idea. That side of downtown is still going to need a pedestrian bridge, though. You watch. As soon as the Waller Creek tunnel is done and developments ramp up on that side of downtown, there is going to be a need for one. Plus the stuff south of the river along Riverside.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 3:53 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Pedestrian bridge connecting the convention center to a new City of Austin 25,000-seat convention arena at the AAS site?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I like the tunnel idea. That side of downtown is still going to need a pedestrian bridge, though. You watch. As soon as the Waller Creek tunnel is done and developments ramp up on that side of downtown, there is going to be a need for one. Plus the stuff south of the river along Riverside.
The cost of building a tunnel vs a bridge is probably a lot more expensive than the article indicates.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 4:12 PM

Did I read this too quick ….
Does this proposal extend to the airport.? I read a few times and missed it if it does.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 6:47 PM
Meh

Eventually a line could lead to the airport, but the tracks dead end a few miles before ABIA. You can follow the line on Google maps to see where it stops.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Eventually a line could lead to the airport, but the tracks dead end a few miles before ABIA. You can follow the line on Google maps to see where it stops.
Thanks Kevin. that's what I thought I was reading .

I have to say I was already not thrilled with this plan. But would have supported it.

Now I would say I'm slipping into the "against" column.

It makes no sense to me to not connect this to the airport.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 7:50 PM

I am against this whole Riverside to ACC line until the they build the commuter line from Georgetown, Pflugerville, Round Rock first. There are plenty of buses moving people for this area Riverside/ACC. Once Waller is done sure build a Pedestrian only bridge. But do not waist money on a local light rail that will serve people served by buses now. Give the people that commute in an option for MetroRail. That will help I35 even a little will be nice.

I take the MetroRail now from Leander everyday and it is always standing room both to and from work. If they are not making money then they need to enforce ticket sales more. I have taken 40 one way trips and have only been asked for my ticket 6 times. I could have not paid all 34 times, they would miss that revenue.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin