HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 1:21 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
When is 2nd avenue subway opening? Within the next 30 days ... yeah right.
I think 72nd St. is what's been causing the most concern.
So much so, that Pendergast (or maybe it was just the MTA, generally) has floated the potential for them to coordinate a partial opening, in December, with 72nd coming on-line, later. There are actual structural, agency reasons why this is not typically easy to do: in short, the division that handles all the final testing will not begin their work until they have a 'finished' project. Some within the agency have been signaling they might work around this.

We don't really know, yet, I think.

However, most of the remaining work, as of last month, were elevators/escalators and general interior finishes. There's nothing, yet, to suspect they won't be able to finish, before the end of the month.

72nd St. is the real wild card.

Add to this that Cuomo is really riding them, on opening on-time, I don't really know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by phoenixboi08; Dec 4, 2016 at 10:50 AM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 3:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
However, most of the remaining work, as of last month, were elevators/escalators and general interior finishes. There's nothing, yet, to suspect they won't be able to finish, before the end of the month.
Oh come on, you don't really believe that do you? Last I heard they were months away from being able to finish. I'd put the over/under at March.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 3:12 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

mta christmas season gifts:

NYC subway digital pop-up shops bring holiday gifts to you

http://www.amny.com/transit/nyc-subw...you-1.12693586

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 10:50 AM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
Oh come on, you don't really believe that do you? Last I heard they were months away from being able to finish. I'd put the over/under at March.
For 72nd St. (not 96th, I was mistaken), yes.

The rest of the stations are pretty much near completion...

The question is whether they'll have enough time for testing, which is why 72nd St. is a big question mark, for now.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 12:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
For 72nd St. (not 96th, I was mistaken), yes.

The rest of the stations are pretty much near completion...

The question is whether they'll have enough time for testing, which is why 72nd St. is a big question mark, for now.
Yeah, but the 7 train was delayed a year after it was said to be in a similar condition. Now, I think part of that is the fact that there was no demand for the 7 train to Hudson Yards at that point in time whereas they definitely is on 2nd avenue, but still with the MTA you can never be too pessimistic because they will never fail to surprise you with their ineptness.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 1:46 AM
Mr. Technology

Patience my friends. We will have the subway service when they are ready.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 1:54 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

almost there!

Staff has been trained, signals have been tested, but there’s still no opening date set for the Second Avenue subway.

With nearly all work completed on the line’s first phase, MTA Chairman Tom Prendergast said at a Monday committee meeting that he’s “cautiously optimistic” that the agency will open the Second Avenue subway before the year’s end.
And he wouldn’t elaborate further.

“That’s as clear as I can state it,” Prendergast said.

http://www.amny.com/transit/second-a...ays-1.12744601

and then...?

The Second Avenue subway is on the verge of completion. What’s next for the MTA?

http://www.amny.com/opinion/columnis...mta-1.12745323

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 5:05 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

a push to lock in the next harlem leg of the 2nd ave subway:

Second Avenue subway should get federal support before Obama leaves office, officials say

By Vincent Barone vin.barone@amny.com December 15, 2016

In what would be a “last-quarter, three-point shot” for the Obama administration, elected officials are rushing to secure federal support to expand the Second Avenue subway before President-elect Donald Trump takes office.

The new subway line’s first phase is anticipated to open by Dec. 31, with subway stations at 72nd, 86th and 96th streets. A planned Phase II will add three new stations further uptown — to 125th Street in East Harlem — at the tune of $6 billion.

About a third of that cost, $2 billion, will need to come from the federal government, according to Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.).

more:
http://www.amny.com/transit/second-a...say-1.12763301

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 4:34 AM

Not much time left... Trump might support quadruple tracking of SAS though.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 1:49 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

welp he's super-confident:

Second Avenue subway to open New Year's Day, Cuomo says

By Lauren Cook lauren.cook@amny.com December 19, 2016

The first phase of the Second Avenue subway will open to the public on Jan. 1, 2017, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said.

The governor made the announcement on Twitter Monday morning.

"We believe in the team, and that’s why we’re saying we’re going to open the 2nd Ave Subway Jan. 1," the governor said on Twitter.

Calls to the MTA for comment regarding Cuomo's statement were not immediately returned.

http://www.amny.com/transit/second-a...ays-1.12776549

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 1:52 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

good news downtown at the wtc:

World Trade Center Oculus E train entrance opens

By Vincent Barone vin.barone@amny.com December 19, 2016

Commuters at the World Trade Center Transportation Hub Oculus will no longer have exit the building to connect to an E train.

The Port Authority is opening access to the E line from within the Oculus beginning Monday. The entrance will be located on the hub’s second level in the northeast corner.

It will retain some of the “historical features” that existed before the 9/11 attacks, like the original limestone flooring, doors, directional signage and a ramp structure from the entryway, according to the Port Authority.

“The opening of the new E subway entrance culminates a year of activity in which the World Trade Center Transportation Hub Oculus opened in phases,” the agency said in a press release announcing the news.

A section of the over-budget, $4 billion Oculus hub first opened to the public this March. The remainder of the Santiago Calatrava-designed structure opened in May. The hub already connects PATH riders to 10 New York City subway lines, including 2, 3, 4, 5, A, C, J, Z, R and W. An additional connection to the R and 1 trains will be opening in the coming months, the agency said.

The World Trade Center hub is the busiest PATH station, serving 54,573 riders, and many more shopping tourists, on an average weekday, according to 2016 Port Authority data through November.

The new E entrance is not ADA accessible, but the agency said that it would be building an ADA entrance “in the future.”

http://www.amny.com/transit/world-tr...ens-1.12774675

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 2:02 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

the groovy old twa flight center at jfk is getting back in business with a hotel, etc.:

JFK airport TWA Flight Center Hotel to bring swinging jet age back to NYC

By Alison Fox alison.fox@amny.com December 15, 2016

Get set to re-live the Jet Set.

The Swinging ’60s are coming back to New York in the form of the TWA Flight Center Hotel at Kennedy Airport.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo and representatives of MCR Development, the company heading up the project, broke ground on the hotel Thursday in the old TWA terminal, closed since the airline folded in 2001.

The hotel, connected to JetBlue’s Terminal 5 by a pair of tunnels, will feature eight restaurants and bars, 505 guest rooms and an observation deck where people can watch planes take off and land. It will be the only full-service hotel at the airport.

The old check-in area will house a food hall featuring small businesses from Brooklyn and Queens.

“This really was the jet age and ‘The Jetsons’ and it all happened here, it all happened in Queens. And it was extraordinary when it happened,” Cuomo said about the TWA Flight Center. “This project, to me, is not about yesterday, it is about tomorrow.”

The center first opened in 1962. It was landmarked by the city in 1994 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.

The hotel is expected to cost about $265 million in private money and open in 2018, according to Cuomo’s office.

The project is expected to generate 3,700 jobs, including union construction and hotel positions, and was approved by the Port Authority’s Board of Commissioners.

The main area of the hotel is being renovated in keeping with Eero Saarinen’s midcentury design. Saarinen, a renowned Finnish designer who created many of Knoll’s most famous pieces, also designed the Gateway Arch in St. Louis and Washington Dulles International Airport.

The main building of the hotel — where the bars, restaurant and meeting spaces will be — is crowned by a sunken lounge area with red carpeting and built-in red benches. A large departures board updates flight information against the picture windows.

The building will eventually be flanked by a pair of six-story towers where the guest rooms will be housed.

“What we’re going to do with this project is bring back the ethos of 1962,” said Tyler Morse, the CEO of MCR Development.

Morse said when the building first opened it “reflected the promise of aviation” and featured previously-unseen things travelers take for granted today, like enclosed passenger getaways and baggage carousels.

“The terminal became increasingly less functional over the years, but it grew as a repository of countless memories: first-time fliers, immigrants coming to America for the first time,” Morse said. “We’re re-opening this aviation icon 50 years later.”

Melinda Katz, the Queens borough president, said the hotel project exemplifies a promising future.

“One of the things that excites me about this structure is that I look forward to bringing my children here,” she said. “And as that iconic structure stands here, and as we see visions of the past, we also see greatness in the future.”

Cuomo called JFK “the gateway to the world,” and said the airport carries more than 50 million people each year. By 2050, that number is expected to reach 90 million.

“They are banking and betting, and believing, on the future,” Cuomo said about the project. “They’re betting on New York and they’re betting on JFK and JFK’s growth. And they’re right to do that.”

But he cautioned that the city, and the country, have not been keeping pace with the rest of the world in terms of development.

“Somewhere along the way we lost that energy of 1962, somewhere along the way we lost that confidence of 1962 — at least in terms of government,” Cuomo said, adding: “The problem is, if you don’t build and grow, someone else will.”

Cuomo said the state will put up $1 billion to help fund partnerships with other airlines to rebuild terminals.

“I believe in New York, I believe in New York’s future,” he said. “I believe we will continue to grow and I believe in our capacity to get things done.”

TWA terminal facts:

- The terminal opened in 1962 and sported what were then state-of-the-art features like enclosed passageways between the terminal and jet, closed circuit TVs and baggage carousels.
- Its design was meant to reflect wings that soar into the air.
- In 1994, the city designated the terminal as a landmark.
- The terminal shut down operations in 2001. A new terminal, which is operated by JetBlue, opened in 2008 with a building that encircles the original space.

http://www.amny.com/transit/jfk-airp...nyc-1.12762785

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 2:05 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

meanwhile, terminal 4 at jfk just opened a food court:

JFK airport's Five Borough Food Hall debuts in Terminal 4

By Jillian Jorgensen jillian.jorgensen@amny.com December 15, 2016

Kennedy Airport is hoping to give travelers a taste of the city without leaving the confines of Terminal 4.

The Five Borough Food Hall – a food-truck-meets-food-court concept – opened Thursday at JFK's international terminal, offering city-themed food to weary travelers who don't have time to get on the subway and explore NYC during layovers.

more:
http://www.amny.com/eat-and-drink/jf...l-4-1.12763004

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 5:09 AM
BANNED

Enough Is Enough. Tell your elected officials the MTA’s costs are too high:

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2016/12...as-costs-high/

Old Posted Jan 1, 2017, 10:52 PM

Second Avenue Subway Officially Open to Public

Quote:
History about a century in the making: the Second Avenue Subway opened to the public at noon Sunday.

"We moved here two months ago, and I told my friends, 'Oh, you know, the new subway was going to be open,'" one local resident said. "They don't believe me! They say, 'Oh, you know, it'll take 100 years, not two months.' Now it's happens, oh my God! We feel very lucky."

Many people have come to the station at 72nd Street and 2nd Ave. since the early morning.

The $4.5 billion line runs 1.5 miles from 63rd to 96th Streets.

Q trains are now stopping at three new stations at 72nd, 86th, and 96th Streets on the Upper East Side.

The new line has a connection at the existing F train station at 63rd Street.

The Second Avenue Subway is expected to help ease congestion on the Lexington Avenue line — the 4, 5, and 6 trains, which are the most congested in the world.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 4:31 AM

I went to the opening of the 2nd Ave subway today. All in all, I think it's a very decent addition. I thought they could've pushed the envelope with the design a bit more (in terms of finishes), considering how much money it cost, but I'm most happy that we now have a 2nd line in the densest part of the city and to alleviate the busiest line in the system (the 4-5-6). My favorite by far is the 86th St station. Beautiful mosaics all around!

Here are pics of each station:

2nd Ave Subway - 96th St Station

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 4:32 AM

2nd Ave Subway - 86th St Station

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 4:33 AM

2nd Ave Subway - 72nd St Station

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 4:33 AM

2nd Ave Subway - 63rd St Station (Transfer)

Marketing on the subway

A free and clear 2nd Ave

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 5:23 AM

Looks decent. I agree 86th Street looks like the nicest station. I think there's an entirely new mezzanine at 63rd Street, so want to check that out (am in that area frequently).

Now onward to Phase 2, slow-as-molasses bureaucrats!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation