HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 8:14 PM
Air Traffic Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I guess that would explain non weather related holding patterns...
. I've only ever seen holding patters for weather, practice, maintenance issues or to burn fuel because the aircraft is too heavy to land. Any controller giving a tour would be using their break to do so. If we didn't have the staffing or we were too busy we would just have you reschedule.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 7:56 PM

Can someone help me to understand how the gate count will end up at 33 after the new 9 gate expansion is complete? Today their are 24 gates (no gate 1), gates 2 and 3 are being removed for the expansion, and the expansion will have 9 gates. Seems more like 31 to me.

Please advise.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
...gates 2 and 3 are being removed for the expansion, and the expansion will have 9 gates. Seems more like 31 to me.

Please advise.
The jetways for Gates 2 and 3 are being removed for the expansion, but the hold rooms are still there. Granted, the hold rooms are small, but so are the ones for Gates 24 & 25 at the end of the West Concourse. I thought the plan was once the expansion was finished, Gates 2 and 3 would come back - although the jetways would have to be re-positioned.

From ABIA's website:

Temp jet bridges allows demo work to begin, introducing Gate 3A

Quote:
For the remainder of the expansion build, the striking, close-up views seen now from the upper level roadway of jets parked at Gates 2 and 3, will not return until expansion is completed in 2019.
So to me, it sounds like Gates 2 and 3 are just temporarily gone, but will eventually come back.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 8:26 PM
Closed account

South Terminal Mini Update.

http://www.austintexas.gov/blogs/con...ruction-update

Quote:
The transformation of the South Terminal into a mid-century themed retro style airport facility, with ground level aircraft boarding, has reached the finishing stages of construction. Customers will get to the South Terminal a different way than the Barbara Jordan Terminal. The South Terminal will have its own entrance off Emma Browning Ave. and its own parking areas.

The new 30,000-square-foot terminal is divided into three sections: ticketing and check-in, hold-gate area, and baggage claim. The $12 million three-gate renovated facility is slated to open in spring 2017.

In addition to its cool retro design, themed furniture and artwork, passengers entering the double doors to the South Terminal will see modernized flight monitors; self-check-in kiosks, a baggage drop off area and charging stations. If not using the automated check-in features, passengers can proceed to one of the eight ticket counters and or enter the TSA Checkpoint security screening area.

Beyond security, the 8,000-square-foot gate area features a glass wall for the three ground level arrival and departure gates. This was designed to take advantage of cozy views of aircrafts at the gates, and for passengers to see take offs and landings on the west runway. The gate area will also house concessions, restroom facilities, art and ceiling décor along with other amenities.

Aircraft Boarding – Retro Style

Without jet bridges, passengers departing from the South Terminal will have the vintage experience of boarding the plane retro style when proceeding from the gate. They will walk under a covered canopy for protection from the elements to board the plane.

Inbound passengers will depart the plane using the covered canopies to enter the terminal. Then they have the option to pick up luggage from the single flat baggage belt and proceed to exit to parking or pick up.

Separate Parking & Access to South Terminal Flights

The renovation will create 859 new short and long term parking spaces located adjacent to the South Terminal building. South Terminal and its parking are both accessible by taking Burleson Road to Emma Browning Ave.

The South Terminal project, led by a private-public partnership between the City of Austin and LoneStar Airport Holdings, LLC, will have its own separate entrance and parking different from the Barbara Jordan Terminal. Hunts Construction Group is the lead contractor with Fentress Architects as the designers.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 1:58 AM
World Traveler

Are there any renderings of the South Terminal?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 2:27 AM

I'm not a fan of retro. I already lived it and unless they replace the doors with bead curtains, I don't need to re live it. I am glad they got rid of the wretched drop ceilings.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 6:25 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Are there any renderings of the South Terminal?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 9:04 AM
World Traveler

Thanks, brando. That's actually better than I expected.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 5:53 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post

Just a thought of mine...With the exception of 3 or 4 "persons" in that rendering, the rest are on some sort of digital media device. We are slowly turning into a society where we have computers attatched to us at all times.

Oh and this quote popped out as a little funny.

Quote:
Inbound passengers will depart the plane using the covered canopies to enter the terminal. Then they have the option to pick up luggage from the single flat baggage belt and proceed to exit to parking or pick up.
Wonder what the other options are? Lol

I guess if you don't have any luggage, you have the option to just proceed to exit.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
The jetways for Gates 2 and 3 are being removed for the expansion, but the hold rooms are still there. Granted, the hold rooms are small, but so are the ones for Gates 24 & 25 at the end of the West Concourse. I thought the plan was once the expansion was finished, Gates 2 and 3 would come back - although the jetways would have to be re-positioned.

From ABIA's website:

Temp jet bridges allows demo work to begin, introducing Gate 3A

So to me, it sounds like Gates 2 and 3 are just temporarily gone, but will eventually come back.

Thanks! I was actually at the airport yesterday so checked it out. The expansion is going to be nice.

EDIT: Sorry to go OCD on this but I don't see how they will reopen 2 and 3 as both jet bridges attached to the east end. Work would have to be done on the existing piece and by look at the renderings there' no room given the angle of the current gate 4. I suppose they will figure it out bit it is difficult to tell by the renderings.

Last edited by Speculator; Dec 6, 2016 at 10:31 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 4:25 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Thanks! I was actually at the airport yesterday so checked it out. The expansion is going to be nice.

EDIT: Sorry to go OCD on this but I don't see how they will reopen 2 and 3 as both jet bridges attached to the east end. Work would have to be done on the existing piece and by look at the renderings there' no room given the angle of the current gate 4. I suppose they will figure it out bit it is difficult to tell by the renderings.
I don't understand what you are saying. Gate 1 has been closed down completely because it's the furthest to the east end of the terminal. The jet bridges for gates 2 and 3 were demolished and replaced with temp modular jet bridges that can be shaped to go around the construction zone and get to the planes that now have to park further away from the airport. They also added a gate called 3A that also has a temporary jet bridge.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
Gate 1 has been closed down completely because it's the furthest to the east end of the terminal.
Gate 1 isn't - and never has been - the furthest to the east end of the terminal. It's a ground level gate that you pass before you reached Gates 2 & 3 which were at the furthest east end of the existing terminal.

map of terminal before expansion which also shows the new Gate 3a

Quote:
The jet bridges for gates 2 and 3 were demolished and replaced with temp modular jet bridges
Actually, I suspect they were removed (not demolished) and replaced with the temporary jetways. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think ABIA owns the actual jetways. In their current rates, there is a $95,000 fee per gate per year listed for "Terminal Equipment Fee" and I think the jetways are part of the terminal equipment. There's no reason to demolish a perfectly good jetway when it can be relocated somewhere else.

Looks to me like the new section being built shows 10 different jetways. One of those is probably a current gate that's been relocated.

Image came from this thread over at shaggytexas.com.

Four on the south side, four on the north side and 2 double jetways off the east eand. The grey jetway at the far left lower corner is an existing gate, although I'm not sure which one.

Also - this is an upper level map of the new concourse. Look where the tan colored food and beverage is planned marked "Unit I". It still shows the stairs leading down to the ground level Gate 1. Gate 1 was only designed for regional jets and it seems like if it were used, the actual aircraft would sit in from of what's Saxon Pub.

On the other hand, I think Speculator does make a good point. I've read in more than one place that there are to be 3 gates that are relocated. (I'm thinking the 3 gates are 4, 3, & 2.)

Here's another rendering from Building ATX

On the far left hand side, you can see the easternmost "outdoor staircase" that juts out from the existing terminal. The plane parked to the left of it is the current Gate 7. The two jetways to the right of it are the current Gates 6 & 5. The jetway with the red-tailed plane parked at it is the start of the new part of the terminal. If 3 of those 10 gates are "replaced" gates, then that would be only 31 jetway equipped gates for a total of 31 plus the ground-level Gate 1 for a total of 32 gates.

But here's what I'm wondering. If those two double jetways at the end aren't being used by wide-body jets, can one of them be swung around and the two be used for separate planes? It look like they could. Look at the last rendering. Notice those two guys next to the baggage truck. To their right are markings for an aircraft parking position but that parking position doesn't line up with the double jetway on the end. But if that outer jetway can swing around to line up with that parking space, (and the other double jetway can do the same) the that would be 9 new (additional) "regular sized gates" or 5 "regular sized jetways and 2 widebody double jetways for a total of 7 new "gates.

Last edited by LoneStarMike; Dec 8, 2016 at 12:25 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post

On the far left hand side, you can see the easternmost "outdoor staircase" that juts out from the existing terminal. The plane parked to the left of it is the current Gate 7. The two jetways to the right of it are the current Gates 6 & 5. The jetway with the red-tailed plane parked at it is the start of the new part of the terminal. If 3 of those 10 gates are "replaced" gates, then that would be only 31 jetway equipped gates for a total of 31 plus the ground-level Gate 1 for a total of 32 gates.

But here's what I'm wondering. If those two double jetways at the end aren't being used by wide-body jets, can one of them be swung around and the two be used for separate planes? It look like they could. Look at the last rendering. Notice those two guys next to the baggage truck. To their right are markings for an aircraft parking position but that parking position doesn't line up with the double jetway on the end. But if that outer jetway can swing around to line up with that parking space, (and the other double jetway can do the same) the that would be 9 new (additional) "regular sized gates" or 5 "regular sized jetways and 2 widebody double jetways for a total of 7 new "gates.
Wow! Great analysis. The usage of the double jetway gates by four aircraft may be how they get to 33 (I don't include 1 in any of this), I didn't think of that. From renderings it looks like that would be a tight squeeze though. I can't see where they can fit today's 2 and three back into the equation. It seems like there's no room for a new 4 either when looking at the proposed concessions layout. Very little room between 5 and the new gate.

Maybe they could do it with 4 RJs, certainly not with what appear to be 777-8's that they show here. BTW, shouldn't those wingtips should be folded up?

I am glad that brighter minds than mine are working on this!

By the way, are you the same LoneStarMike from Airliners? Just curious. That would explain your analysis.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 10:39 PM

Just found this from Community Impact. Doesn't seem to match the east end of any of the renderings though.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 12:37 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Just found this from Community Impact. Doesn't seem to match the east end of any of the renderings though.

Yeah, Community Impact is a great source for an introduction to new projects, but they lack in the area of details. Not necessarily a problem, but their schematics generally exist to say, "Probably something kinda like this," rather than, "Here are the specific details."

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 2:11 AM

Quote:
I can't see where they can fit today's 2 and three back into the equation. It seems like there's no room for a new 4 either when looking at the proposed concessions layout. Very little room between 5 and the new gate.
It looks like Gates 2, 3 & 4, are relocated into the new section. They're the reddish colored planes in the graphic you posted.

If the two double jetway gates on the end can be adjusted to handle narrow-body jets when not needed for widebodies, then you'd have this: (E=Existing Gate, R-Relocated Gate, N-New Gate)

If the two gates on the end were used as double jetway gates, you'd have this:

And yeah, I used to post over at airliners.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 12:06 PM
All Things ATX

Trans-Pacific Carriers

Hi guys. Long time ATX forum reader and lurker. First time sign-in and post.

Regarding Austin CoC/ABIA's attempts or wants/needs for a Trans-Pacific route or carrier, does anyone have any updates on this endeavor?

I've read from forum postings that a Seoul route (Samsung N.Am HQ) is preferred or a Tokyo route, although unlikely, are target markets. Do you think the Austin CoC would consider Hong Kong as a market?

I've read on Routes Online that Hong Kong Airlines is expanding their routes and footprint into North America starting with Vancouver in June '17. With strong financial backing from HNK Group, they are looking for route and market expansion areas in N. America and Europe.

The growth into North America represents a significant step forward in the airline’s international strategy. “We need to consider whether the focus is North America or Europe or a mix of both, and whether we go into primary markets or secondary markets. All of that is still in play and open,” the airline’s assistant director of commercial Michael Burke said. They currently fly A330-200 but have 15 A350-900's on order and will switch to them when delivered later in the year and after aircraft flight/route familiarization. What Are your thoughts?

http://http://www.routesonline.com/n...north-america/

Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 3:38 AM
World Traveler

Welcome to the forum! I have no insider knowledge, but I'd be fine with any of those routes (I live and work in China). It'd make my life a lot easier when coming home for work or to see family.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 8:12 PM

October 2016 Passenger, Cargo traffic at Austin-Bergstrom

Quote:
Total passenger traffic for October 2016 was 1,101,284, up 5.5% compared to October 2015.
[...]
Total passenger traffic for January – October YTD was 10,332,215, up 5%, compared to January – October 2015
October Aviation Activity Report (pdf file)

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 10:39 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I just heard the end of a blurb on the radio that said Austin apprived ~$160 million for ABIA expansion, including a new parking garage and 48 more acres. For the life of me, I can't find an article to find out what they were talking about.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin