HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 5:04 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 7:58 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Though the angst of the neckbeards has been keeping me amused.
I'm one of them. I spent the downtime of my deployments playing SC4. I played the beta for this thing and was instantly disappointed. I been part of many beta/alpha launches and by far this left the worst taste in my mouth. I stopped playing after 10 minutes. My fanboy friends are tolerating it but I'm making a stand

The sc4 modding community put out a converter for transfering files between sc4 and sc5. http://community.simtropolis.com/fil...gin-converter/
my interest is at 40%

http://community.simtropolis.com/top...opment-thread/

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 10:36 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
I'm one of them. I spent the downtime of my deployments playing SC4. I played the beta for this thing and was instantly disappointed. I been part of many beta/alpha launches and by far this left the worst taste in my mouth. I stopped playing after 10 minutes. My fanboy friends are tolerating it but I'm making a stand

The sc4 modding community put out a converter for transfering files between sc4 and sc5. http://community.simtropolis.com/fil...gin-converter/
my interest is at 40%

http://community.simtropolis.com/top...opment-thread/
You do realize that was an April fools joke right?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 12:56 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
You do realize that was an April fools joke right?
so the mod isn't real
interest in this game back to 20%

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 4:14 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

I've started playing SC4/Rush Hour again. Over the years I've downloaded so many realistic buildings, transportation upgrades and other mods that I feel the new game would be a letdown in far too many arenas. Visually, for starters--there are always differences among buildings in floor heights, for example, but almost never would you see neighboring residential buildings differ so greatly in scale.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 2:14 PM

Quote:
I saw this game on steam this morning. This seems very interesting I've played with the first one but found it to be very confusing and very un-user friendly at the start of the game.

I hope this one gets more rants and reviews.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/cities-in-motion - the first game.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
so the mod isn't real
interest in this game back to 20%
Well..I remember reading in a blog post that SC5 was engineered to accomodate custom content either downloaded directly from EA and possibly by created by users.

If this ever gets implemented for real, doubt you could directly import previously created models. SC4 BATers created very highly detailed models in 3D that the current SC5 could simply never render efficiently in the game from 360 degree on the fly perspectives. The 3D models were basically rendered to 2D raster from 4 views night and day. SC4 then sort of went smoke and mirrors with crude effects by overlaying color filters to make you think your buildings were shimmering in sunset light.

Anyways. What I've found frustrating lately is the game's push for your city's ultimate destiny to be high wealth with a modern landscape. My friends and I stubbornly landmark swaths of older neighborhood fabric because we like the look and then residents complain about joblessness when those skyscrapers appear because the city economy now wants to hire more professionals. I have created cities of varying income and they've worked. However they are extremely volatile. If crime spikes, or a bit of sewage overflows, just two towers closing from effects can be devastating on a particular income bracket and things snowball from there.

I also hate managing road widths so early on. In reality, cities can deliver services and grow economically with absurd levels of congestion. But the game takes this problem too literally. School buses are delayed so enrollment drops...which then causes crime to spike....which then causes houses to burn (again a snowball effect). And of course my fire trucks can't get through traffic, which is silly since everyone would simply move out of the way. And for some reason by city is perpetually in flames. No matter how many Light rail stops I put in, traffic still seems to be a problem with office and residential districts grow too big. And I'm not exactly open to running a ton of boulevards everywhere.

The only way to reduce the amount of necessary boulevard construction is to localize all your services. My new strategy has been to avoid the large central facilities which when placed don't always work like they should. Instead I'll divide the city into 4 quadrants and put schools, fire, police, and clinics in each of those areas. With the exception of schools, I've found the other services never really needed all that much additions to facilities

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 4:04 AM
TL;DR

^^ Aren't there some fundamental real-world planning tenets there?

The game's focus on growing towards high-income pretty much mirrors global urban policy for the last several decades, Richard Florida and the creative class and so forth.

The need to localize services encourages you to treat the city as an assemblage of villages instead of some behemoth machine where everything is huge and centralized. Obviously most real cities have elements of both, where you drive on giant collective expressways and visit your neighborhood library on the same day.

I doubt the game's designers had these ideas in mind, but as the rules of the simulation get closer to real life, they produce these outcomes on their own without designer input.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 10:41 PM
Urban Fanactic

I've seen a few playthroughs of this game and while it does look interesting and has a lot of cool features, it seems that you are dependent on other players in the region if you want to make a big city because the map sizes are way to small to build all your needs in one city. That seems unfortunate because I would really like to play the game but the always online, no terraforming and small city sizes kills it for me.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^^ Aren't there some fundamental real-world planning tenets there?

The game's focus on growing towards high-income pretty much mirrors global urban policy for the last several decades, Richard Florida and the creative class and so forth.

The need to localize services encourages you to treat the city as an assemblage of villages instead of some behemoth machine where everything is huge and centralized. Obviously most real cities have elements of both, where you drive on giant collective expressways and visit your neighborhood library on the same day.

I doubt the game's designers had these ideas in mind, but as the rules of the simulation get closer to real life, they produce these outcomes on their own without designer input.
The problem is warped scale. The whole 2km x 2km makes the operation of up to 5 police stations or 7 fully expanded elementary schools kind of ridiculous. So if something goes wrong to one building, the effects can potentially be very damaging since scale of the ecosystem goes out of balance.

I'm not arguing it's too difficult to achieve a perfectly balanced low-maintenance city. But creativity it somewhat hindered when a city's natural tendency is to look like some horrible filled out mess of modern skyscrapers. I tend to like the cities much earlier on, and I found freezing them in time is not really possible.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 6:36 AM
TL;DR

Good point. An accurate city simulation would not have such an arbitrary size/growth barrier. This basically means you're building Hong Kong or Manhattan, since demand keeps growing but the land supply is small and fixed.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 4:26 AM

Calumet

So far, I've only used 2/5th of the map. So still space to grow.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 12:18 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

^Are those the residential districts you landmarked? They look good.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
^Are those the residential districts you landmarked? They look good.
I did landmark them, thanks! Actually the whole city is pretty much landmarked. I'm going to play NIMBY and maintain 100% historic character from those awful modern towers that cast shadows! lol

So far it seems like this $300 laptop is holding up pretty well for the game. I've used it to do photoshop and some 3d modeling and it's doing well. There's no loud fans and it runs cool which is pretty much my secondary test of quality after visible performance. I guess they build machines alot better than they used to or computers just got that cheap. Unfortunately my 4 year old imac didn't run the game so smoothly (on Windows 8), not because of speed and memory....but an old graphics card.

I wonder how SimCity would run on my 32 core processor, 64 GB of RAM machine at work

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 7:45 AM
They all float down here

Okay...how the hell are you landmarking buildings?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 9:20 PM

You just dezone everything and they'll stick around unless they are totally destroyed by fire. If that happens, will need to rezone that parcel, wait for it to come back, then dezone. Keep in mind you need to keep your economy balanced. It's low income housing for the most part, so don't build some high wealth business district and expect them to be happy. They'll complain if there's no close jobs nearby that match their wealth level. They'll move out and the buildings could possibly go vacant.

Old Posted May 25, 2013, 7:27 PM

Quote:
"..HOWS THAT SIM CITY!? THAT'S SIM FUCKING TOWN!"

Preach fat man!

Old Posted May 25, 2013, 7:33 PM

What kind of f*cking bridge transition is this?!?! This is f*cking unacceptable!!!!

It's like they just didn't give a single f*ck what-so-ever when they made this game.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 7:29 AM
They all float down here

ahaha...I'm sitting there looking at this image thinking, "that...looks familiar..." and it took me a bit to realize that was my city.

I haven't played this game in over a month. Anyone know if there's been some strong updates?

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 12:20 AM
I am a typical

They just released a theme park expansion pack. Costs money.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art