HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 3:28 PM

because L'Enfant laid out DC to be just like a European city.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 6:39 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
because L'Enfant laid out DC to be just like a European city.
It's more a function of the height limit that restrict highrises (and encourages underground parking) plus the Metro system that enables density without parking, plus the continual growth of the Federal government that has allowed development to continue steadily for decades.

Detroit has a similar "rationalist" layout (which isn't even all that European) but even at its peak, Detroit was very much a city of tall highrises, brick warehouses and lowrise residential.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 6:44 PM

it is a bit of both. but as for your main point, i love DC too. My sister has lived all over DC and whenever i visit i was always impressed. I loved coming out of many different metro stops and being right in a vibrant neighborhood. The developments pushing out from the city along Milwaukee give me the most hope to develop into that.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 1:27 AM

600 West Washington

Hello all! I've been following the Chicago threads for 5 years but never really had anything to contribute. I live in the west loop, but follow most downtown area developments somewhat closely.

I noticed that there was some talk about SC Johnson opening offices on Washington. I live near there and saw on Saturday that the union office located there was having a "going away" party. It was news to me. I also noticed that the parking lot on the NE corner of Washington and Jefferson was marked for possible soil testing? I'm really not an engineering expert but I snapped a couple photos. (Thanks Mr. D for the help)

Last edited by Cheap_Shot; Jul 19, 2016 at 2:06 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 1:43 AM
Urbane observer

^Upload the images to a website like imgur, and then paste the BBCode link here.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 1:44 AM
Chicago

The Boardwalk - Chicago Riverwalk Expansion between Franklin and Lake

July 14, 2016

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 1:45 AM
Chicago

The Jetty - Chicago Riverwalk Expansion between Wells and Franklin

July 14, 2016

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 1:46 AM
Chicago

The Swimming Hole - Chicago Riverwalk Expansion between LaSalle and Wells

July 14, 2016

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 3:04 PM

The Jetty and the Swimming Hole are shaping up really nicely, but the Boardwalk? WTF. Clearly ran out of money and ideas. Its gonna be that ramp, a couple staircases, and some grass. That's it. I have looked at renderings and it looks pretty bleak.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
The Jetty and the Swimming Hole are shaping up really nicely, but the Boardwalk? WTF. Clearly ran out of money and ideas. Its gonna be that ramp, a couple staircases, and some grass. That's it. I have looked at renderings and it looks pretty bleak.
I read somewhere that they are leaving it a blank canvas so they can host various programming. Here is a note from the RFP

"It is also the longest block with the greatest land area for development. The design of the area has been left very basic to allow for creative development ideas to maximize opportunities at this location."

POTENTIAL FOR +/- 22,000 SQ. FT. OF COVERED / PERMANENT SPACE, MOST OF WHICH CAN BE USED FOR RETAIL BUILD-OUT, 2ND STORY WOULD BE PERMITTED

UPPER WACKER DRIVE FOOD TRUCK STAGING; VERTICAL CONNECTION TO
RIVERWALK

THE BUILD-OUT OF THIS SPACE IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE ACTIVE RIVERWALK PROJECT

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
What will the parking deck be used for -- any chance the oceans of asphalt around United Center will be reduced by using this facility's parking? Especially considering UC events are typically in the evening or on weekends.
Hopefully we will see a decline of the parking lots as the area continues to expand. Also, they are definitely drilling caissons for the Hawks training center now.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 3:30 PM

710 N Dearborn - medical offices (although the rendering below might be 1 or 2 floors taller than what will actually be built)
[/QUOTE]

This is under costruction:

Remains to be seen whether this ends up as shown in that Alfred Hitchcock-looking drawing.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 3:32 PM
you know where I'll be

^^^ Re: Boardwalk...... Wow...that does sound interesting.....could be a very highly activated stretch.....much different from what I'd been originally thinking with that 'bridge' amidst the prairie and river (which I also quite liked, fyi, but very different - that almost seemed like a quiet, relaxed space for a respite from the hustle and bustle and almost an immersion into a mini oasis of nature away from the hustle and bustle......whereas this sounds like it could be high energy, lots of traffic and the focal point for food and drink for the entire riverwalk).........I wonder what caused the 180 here.....

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 3:38 PM

It's difficult to overstate how underappreciated the River Walk is compared to it's wonderfullness. It's only my third time on it, but last weekend my fiancee and I got a couple drinks at City Winery and sat by the water. The city looked great and really appeared to engage with water in a way that's not obvious at street level. I felt like I was in Key West or some other aquatic-themed locale. The walk is already long enough that it feels eventful to be on it. Adding three more blocks is going to make it a proper minor-excursion. I saw at least four or five tour groups down there. And there seems to be many more watercraft on the river than there were in the past, but that could be some sort of misperception on my part.

I can't think of another space quite like it. There are many cities that have piers and canals, but those are usually well above the water level. San Antonio is the obvious example, and that beats Chicago's walk in many ways, but that river is really a "canal". The width and activity on the river makes ours seem Venice-like in some ways.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 3:59 PM

Okay, maybe I am being overly harsh, but since the Riverwalk has been so spectacularly well thought out and executed, I have very high hopes. I should trust them

This phrase does concern me - "The design of the area has been left very basic to allow for creative development ideas to maximize opportunities at this location." - it just smacks of gobbledy gook, corporate design speak.

I do think the Riverwalk is one of the best public spaces built in Chicago.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
It's difficult to overstate how underappreciated the River Walk is compared to it's wonderfullness. It's only my third time on it, but last weekend my fiancee and I got a couple drinks at City Winery and sat by the water. The city looked great and really appeared to engage with water in a way that's not obvious at street level. I felt like I was in Key West or some other aquatic-themed locale. The walk is already long enough that it feels eventful to be on it. Adding three more blocks is going to make it a proper minor-excursion. I saw at least four or five tour groups down there. And there seems to be many more watercraft on the river than there were in the past, but that could be some sort of misperception on my part.

I can't think of another space quite like it. There are many cities that have piers and canals, but those are usually well above the water level. San Antonio is the obvious example, and that beats Chicago's walk in many ways, but that river is really a "canal". The width and activity on the river makes ours seem Venice-like in some ways.
There are a number of cities that are activating their waterfronts. Indianapolis, surprisingly, has dedicated a lot of effort to developing its canal. It's more than a mile and has a lot of park space right up along the water. There are now private developments, including restaurants, that are opening up along the canal. It's more of a creek than the Chicago River, but it is still quite nice and a respite from the city. I was also recently in New Orleans, and the riverwalk area near the French Quarter is similar and even has an aquarium and zoo. Detroit is another city with a developing riverwalk area that's good for a walk or jog. That's just off the top of my head.

What I think separates Chicago is the different levels of the city along the river. There's the growing rooftop bar scene, the street level, and then the Riverwalk level. All of this allows visitors to experience a canyon of skyscrapers unlike any other place in the country. It's really great, but certainly not the only city with an active waterfront.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 5:29 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
This phrase does concern me - "The design of the area has been left very basic to allow for creative development ideas to maximize opportunities at this location." - it just smacks of gobbledy gook, corporate design speak.
Well, it's a development site, not really a public space. Several early plans included a signature, full-service restaurant at this location. Ultimately we might end up with a food hall or maybe a dock for food trucks with a large seating area. I imagine something similar to what existed on Block 37 before the shopping mall went up. Really not a lot of that type of space downtown.

I don't think it's a bad thing that the Riverwalk includes some flexible space that can adapt to art fairs, farmers markets, food trucks, small concerts, etc. Every other segment verges on being overdesigned. Lots of opportunities for corporate tie-ins, too... did anyone go to that Nike event they did last winter with CrossFit Games on a barge? Really impressive spectacle, well-managed and beautifully designed.

Probably a good money-maker for the city, too. Remember, the city took out a big Federal loan to build this, which needs to be repaid. CDOT's task is to create several income streams, which is tough when everything is seasonal... they've got rent from food vendors, fees from boat owners who tie up, and money from corporate-sponsored events. I'm sure it's also possible to rent out certain spaces for private events, weddings, etc. It should be pretty easy to monetize a large, flexible space right on the confluence, maybe even during wintertime when heated structures or tents are necessary.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 5:50 PM

I'm not concerned about the boardwalk. With all the temporary sculptures, events, popups that happen in MP and make it more interesting / draw more people to the park. I would be more concerned in they didn't have some open space to play with here.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 6:01 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Was just going to post this. It's hard to say for sure but I think the jetty may end up being the coolest looking room of the whole walk.

But the boardwalk does appear to be pedestrian and disjointed. Which is very unfortunate because it ideally should be the centerpiece room of the whole walk.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Was just going to post this. It's hard to say for sure but I think the jetty may end up being the coolest looking room of the whole walk.

But the boardwalk does appear to be pedestrian and disjointed. Which is very unfortunate because it ideally should be the centerpiece room of the whole walk.
The problem with making the Boardwalk the centerpiece of the Riverwalk is that it is the furthest away from the focal point of foot traffic in the Loop/River North. On the weekends, that section of the Loop is dead. There are no other restaurants in that area.

The focal point of the Rivewalk is closer to Michigan Avenue, also the reason why the Riverwalk was build east to west. You have to start with where the people are.

I like the idea of building in some open space with future room to develop and grow. It would be cool as hell to have a two-story restaurant bar at the split between the north and south branches. Just in the first year, Tiny Hatt has added a new element where Flanders flailed between Dearborn and Clark the summer before. They have added a wooden deck with more seating, providing a nice beer-oriented bar and restaurant as a counterpoint to the wine and cheese offerings at City Winery. The Riverwalk is an evolving space.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development