HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 5:22 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg_flamip View Post
It seems to me that there are two conversations going on simultaneously. There is, on the one hand, why this shooter - a conversation that is occurring mostly in the mainstream media and in "wider" (read: "straight") society. It's a conversation about terrorism, "Islamism," immigration (somehow?), gun control and mental health. It is act of terror, a narrative of danger from elsewhere.

There is another conversation happening within our community: why these victims. On one level, that's not a question; it's something we know, something we feel on a visceral level. It is act of hate, a narrative that winds its way through LGBTQ history, and (for far far too many of us) our personal histories as well. There is nothing new and nothing foreign here, only the latest chapter in a history of violence (see here for more). Part of the response you seem to be having trouble with likely stems from a clash of those two narratives.
Well, I'm not sure where to place myself on the spectrum, then. Because to me it was immediately apparent from the first instant I heard about it that it was an intentional attack on people for being gay. I saw that snippet with Owen Jones too, and I thought it was bizarre that the presenter kept insisting that it was just a generalized attack on "people trying to enjoy themselves." I honestly don't know why he was so pigheaded about that.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I've never felt unsafe in Canada. Part of that is simply the expectation that Canadians are likely unarmed. I imagine you'd react differently to a road rage incident in Texas than you would in Ontario. It's similar, really. Everything seems less menacing here.

I doubt it's as bad in much of the United States as some make it out to be. We have the same small, vocal group here - for whom everything is awful. They thrive on offense and outrage, regardless of the other person's intentions.

For example, a few people I know spent Monday posting memes asking allies and "white queers" not to mourn because it was inappropriate given the victims were "Latinx" and "AfroLatinx". "This is not about you". Well, go fuck yourself, is not about you either. People can grieve however they want.

A grandmother once called into Open Line to say she loved her gay grandson. The host said that was a wonderful gesture and something all gay boys should hear and experience. This minority gave him so much shit. Angry, breathless vitriol because "he's just a boy, not a GAY BOY". Embarrassing. And there is a lot of that nonsense in the LGBT community, people with no patience, with no understanding of who their enemy actually is.

It's exhausting. The only upside is they are completely unforgiving and write you off for life for the smallest transgression. So you only have to deal with them in person once.

All that said, this time it was a major first for many younger LGBT people. There's a whole generation now that grew up assuming this sort of thing was in the past for them. It's unnerving. I know the high schools in St. John's have had to do some counseling. One 15 year old in the LGBT choir spoke at our vigil. It was very heartfelt, humorous, but also genuinely afraid.
To be fair though, there is a lot intersectionality in these types of issues. It can one thing to be gay, it can be one thing to be non-white, another to be a woman. It can be something else entirely when these things start adding together. And the LGBTQ community isn't always great at acknowledging that.

While I certainly agree that sometimes people take the argument a bit too far, we also have to recognize that that there is privilege that still exists even within these communities, and in general, white gay men still have a voice and a standing that isn't available to many others. Can they grieve? Absolutely, and i think it's silly to suggest otherwise. But the fact that this happened to involve predominantly latino victims does bring some of these issues to light. Many people have just as much trouble, if not more being embraced as a non-white person in the LGBTQ community as they do being embraced as a sexual minority in their ethinic communities. Racism and microagressions are pervasive in the north american gay community, Canada included. Much like the gay community is looking at the broader U.S. society and asking "oh, so suddenly you care about us?", there are is also the community of queer people of colour looking at the dominant gay culture and saying the exact same thing.

In many ways I actually agree with your broader point. I actually don't use the word "queer" to describe myself because I've come to associate with a certain group of people who seem to look for issues to be upset about and it makes me cringe a bit. But we also need to be careful about assuming we know "who the enemy actually is" because some poeople have enemies, or systems working against them that we may not.

For the record, I'm gay and I'm not white. I'm not trying to say that I have had a horrible experience with the gay community in Canada at all, its generally been great, but that doesn't mean there still isn't a fair bit things that I noticed happen all accross the country that I think a lot of people don't notice, are in a position that they can ignore.

Do I think Canada is a bit better in terms of safety (percieved or real) than the U.S though..yes. The degree to which certain policies are still supported in parts of the states speaks to some differences. Many things are happening down there politically that just wouldn't fly in any Canadian province these days. That being said, there are still crazies out there, and I don't think we can dismiss the idea that people might still be somewhat on edge in Canada, even if it is less than the U.S. From what I've seen, even in Canada, is that most gay people doing "gay things" in public are at least a touch more aware of their surroundings, who is watching etc. Maybe not to the point of being debilitating or even really affecting behavior, but something that's in the back of the mind of most.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 6:27 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Great post - and I agree, there are definitely issues. The gay rights movement has allowed some of us, not all, to become mainstream, middle class accepted. That's creating tension with those who are left behind (as especially those that never wanted to move in that direction to begin with), and have all sorts of other issues to deal with as a result of not being white men.

It's just so far removed for me, because there are so few visible minorities here, that I really don't know what I'm talking about in that regard. But I do know... what's the term that feminists use, "intersectional feminism", to refer to when it's not just women's rights, but added layers - trans women, women of colour, sex workers, etc.

There definitely hasn't been enough "intersectional gay rights activism".

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 9:21 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Labrador City only has one mast, but they added the Pride flag to the Canada, Newfoundland and Labrador, and Labrador flags.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 10:43 PM

As a gay man in urban Canada, who was born in 1993 and came out in 2012 (I realized & came out at the same time--there was never a point in my life where I knew I was gay but stayed closeted), I can honestly say that, to my knowledge, I've never been a victim of homophobia, and I have never felt unsafe because of my sexual orientation.

That said, I may have been a victim of subtle prejudice before, but not noticed it.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 1:30 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 1:51 AM
Montérégien

From Fierté Montréal's facebook,
a picture of tonight's gathering (la vigile) for the victims of Orlando.
No precise numbers yet, but lots of people showed up.

It was beatiful a bit later with all the candles.
#loveislove

Last edited by Laceoflight; Jun 17, 2016 at 1:59 AM. Reason: +1picture

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 2:20 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Gorgeous, Light.

The names of the victims are being displayed by a few businesses downtown, including the gay bar.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 8:50 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Gorgeous, Light.

The names of the victims are being displayed by a few businesses downtown, including the gay bar.

I like the small gestures like this. They can catch people when in a private mode and generate powerful recognitions. Also, small ways to reach out into the 'less obvious' parts of the community. I posted a small remembrance note on the bulletin boards at the local grocery and community pool.

(Side note: not completely sure, but thinking about your "note to self:" the singular of evidence is anecdote. Maybe.)

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 9:30 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Could be, yes.

So, we're late to the game as a province for this... but not only that, Corner Brook has beaten St. John's to the punch. The City of Corner Brook is adding two permanent Pride crosswalks.

Tweet from the Mayor:

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 12:16 AM
I am a typical

You never see crosswalks with the straight pride flag! How are heterosexual students supposed to feel???

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 12:17 AM
I am a typical

"The straight pride flag"

Imagine a crosswalk with this pattern! It would show that EVERYONE is accepted!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 12:19 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 2:33 AM

The rainbow crosswalk violates the MUTCD. (those on here who are highway geeks will agree) lol

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 5:04 PM

Saskatoon Pride week was couple weeks ago.

Regina's Queen City Pride is this week/weekend

http://queencitypride.ca

Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 10:03 PM
ARTchitecture

Calgary's newest gay bar had their soft open this weekend. The place is called Backwards and is the 4th LGBT oriented full time venue in the Downtown Calgary.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 8:19 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The logo the committee chose makes me want to yell at someone - Comic Sans, seriously?

There was a hostile takeover of the Pride committee here by Very Angry Memorial University Students (TM) last year, and this year even fewer reasonable people stayed on board so the number of events is vastly reduced but that's fine. Other groups organize events during the week anyway. The bonfire and the parade are the two big ones here that Pride is responsible for.

The big bar night this year isn't at the gay bar, but same owners. It'll be good, I'm sure. It'll definitely steal most of the people from the competing Pride Dance, which they scheduled at the same time for some reason.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 4:47 AM

Starting in early 2017 Ontario will begin issuing out gender-neutral driver's licenses; on request, a person's gender can be marked as "X" instead of M or F.

I believe Ontario is the first province to take this step. Here's hoping the rest of the country follows soon!
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Starting in early 2017 Ontario will begin issuing out gender-neutral driver's licenses; on request, a person's gender can be marked as "X" instead of M or F.

I believe Ontario is the first province to take this step. Here's hoping the rest of the country follows soon!
I must admit that I've never understood the relevance of gender on drivers licences or other such documents. What useful information does it provide? What would be the problem if gender were simply omitted?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I must admit that I've never understood the relevance of gender on drivers licences or other such documents. What useful information does it provide? What would be the problem if gender were simply omitted?
It may be of use to law enforcement given that jails, prisons and temporary holding cells are gender-segregated. In the event of arrest, it may be useful for a trans person to have proof of legal gender so they don't wind up in the wrong detention facility (which, regardless, seems to occur far too often anyway). There are likely other gender-segregated environments where that proof is required; that might not be an issue were we willing to move to a completely gender neutral society, but that's still a radical concept. That said, reducing - as much as possible given the social and legal context - the gendered language on government documents, &c. is the direction we ought to be heading in, IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada