HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 6:38 PM
BANNED

Rough count - 18.

Was that map made by a four year old?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 6:54 PM

I found a few. I think a google map overlay might be a better idea for them.

Anyone know how 44 Monroe is doing? How full are they?

Last time I was downtown during the night it looked like there were lights on in about 30% of the windows.

Also - is there any chance that the open units in Summit at Copper Square will turn to rentals like this?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 8:24 PM

Last I heard they were 46% full. I forgot what website but it was very recent.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Last I heard they were 46% full. I forgot what website but it was very recent.
I did some googling - 43% on June 14th. I'd say that's pretty good considering how long it's been on the market.

http://www.downtownphoenix.com/blog/...ning-exposure/

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 7:21 PM

44 Monroe occupancy = 56% as of 7/13

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 5:24 PM

Living the high life

Quote:
Michael Chen traded life in suburbia for the urban vibe of downtown Phoenix.

He was living in a leased house in Peoria when he learned through an apartment website that the high-end condos at 44 Monroe were being rented instead of sold.

“It looked like such a neat place to live,” Chen said. “I can walk to work. I can walk to school.”

A legal assistant for the law offices of Benjamin Taylor, Chen also is a student at the Phoenix School of Law. The school is opening a new campus this fall in the One North Central tower, the ...
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/p...high-life.html

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 5:27 PM

Phoenix big on investment housing, with many renters

It's good to see 44 Monroe being shown in a positive light in the news:

Quote:
At places like 44 Monroe in downtown Phoenix, there's a huge demand for apartments and they're now leasing unsold units.
http://ktar.com/category/local-news-...-many-renters/

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 5:00 AM

44 Monroe is now 75% full and their website also now shows that is available for rent and prices. Would totally love to live there if my work was centered around that area, but unfortunately it's centered around the Arrowhead area so it wouldn't make such sense. :/

Quote:
Moving to downtown Phoenix has saved couple lots of money, time.

A year ago, the Helgesons were celebrating a makeover of their Queen Creek home by TV star designer Nate Berkus.

This year, Jessica and Cody Helgeson have turned that southeast Valley home into a rental and are celebrating their recent move to a high-rise in downtown Phoenix, 44 Monroe. Moving downtown has saved them hundreds of dollars a month in gas, reduced their headaches, eliminated their long commutes and improved their social lives, they said.

The switch from suburban to urban life has its price. They lost nearly 800 square feet of space and a lush green yard.

Do they miss it?

"We haven't really," said Cody Helgeson, 26. "We had a yard that was all landscaped, but at the same time, we were paying a gardener to come out every week."

"Here we have Civic Space Park," he said. "It's not even a block away."

The Helgesons are among an influx of new tenants at the 202-unit, 34-story building at First Avenue and Monroe Street. The tower once intended for condos is around 75 percent full, rebounding from a slump that began with the housing-market crash a few years ago and foreclosures tied to the bankruptcy of lender Mortgages Ltd.

A year ago, a new company in Chicago, ST Residential, bought the tower out of foreclosure and opened a sales office to sell the remaining 196 empty condos. Starting prices were below $200,000.

Sales were so slow that in January, ST Residential announced it would rent the units.

"The worst thing in the world is a vacant tower," said Wade Hundley, CEO of ST Residential. "We felt like there was a better market for renting. We wanted to get people in the building."

The rent for a 44 Monroe apartment ranges according to size. Rent is $1,582 for a one-bedroom, 1 1/2-bath unit that spans 1,126 square feet, according to the 44Monroe.com website. Rent can range from $2,900 to $2,990 for the largest unit, a 2,079-square-foot space that includes two bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths.

Hundley said the company looks to other properties in the area to develop its pricing and rents, but 44 Monroe is a unique property. The downtown area has a few high-rises, and some of them, such as the Summit at Copper Square near Chase Field, are struggling to fill their units in the aftermath of bankruptcy.

"We had a hard time finding comps (for setting rent)," Hundley said.

The new 44 Monroe renters include people in their 20s, such as the Helgesons, and some young professionals in their 30s.

Kevin Bohm, the tower's leasing director, said he has worked to nab renters through Internet marketing and by networking with organizations such as the Phoenix Community Alliance, a non-profit organization that represents Phoenix-area businesses.

Nationwide and in Phoenix, the housing market has become a renter's market, Bohm said.

Bohm said 44 Monroe has a lot of pluses: It's near CityScape, which has entertainment venues such as Lucky Strike Lanes and Stand Up Live comedy club, and is within walking distance of two grocery stores - the Downtown Phoenix Public Market and Oakville Grocery.

The building also sits near the Metro light rail, which enables some of its tenants to commute to work on mass transit.

Cody Helgeson said that convenience has allowed him and his wife to sell one of their cars.

"When we lived in Queen Creek, we were budgeting about $500 a month in gas," he said. "Now, we've got it down to one vehicle. We're probably able to go one whole month on one tank of gas. We walk everywhere."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...#ixzz1ZJZByVhA

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 5:06 PM
BANNED

Urban living can be achieved...

That's awesome.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 5:31 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
44 Monroe is now 75% full and their website also now shows that is available for rent and prices. Would totally love to live there if my work was centered around that area, but unfortunately it's centered around the Arrowhead area so it wouldn't make such sense. :/
You'd have a commute reverse of most traffic both in morning and night though, so that would perhaps be something to consider, you'd be going fast. It would likely still be further and a bit more gas though. But if you're wife (? I seem to recall you're married) didn't have a long commute or could walk/bike/transit, ditching an extra car saves a ton of $$$.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
You'd have a commute reverse of most traffic both in morning and night though, so that would perhaps be something to consider, you'd be going fast. It would likely still be further and a bit more gas though. But if you're wife (? I seem to recall you're married) didn't have a long commute or could walk/bike/transit, ditching an extra car saves a ton of $$$.
We actually both work from home but sometimes it's a lot of running out to a customer in the area and coming back home, several times per day. Wouldn't really make sense, but I would love to live downtown, even if just for 6-12 months.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 12:06 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
On a related note: seeing how fast Alta and 44 Monroe filled up (as well as Centerpoint in Tempe) and how well sales at One Lexington are going, I wonder why the Summit hasn't switched to being rentals for now. It seems there's a strong desire for urban living, even if its only possible via rentals right now.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 2:29 AM

I went through some units in 44 Monroe this afternoon with a friend who is tired of living in the burbs. The units were incredible to say the least.

While there I asked the leasing agent about occupancy, etc. She said that management anticipated the building would be 50% occupied at the end of 2011. It is currently at 86% and there are no signs of it slowing down. I also asked how the condo owners like having renters in the building. She said that at first they were uncomfortable but they have gotten used to it by now. Many owners have even commented on the high-quality renters that have moved in.

It's incredible how fast 44 Monroe is filling up in this economy considering how expensive it is. I don't know what other evidence is needed to show that there is a strong demand for luxury high-rise apartments in downtown Phoenix. Cityscape should have started building their apartments yesterday.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
While there I asked the leasing agent about occupancy, etc. She said that management anticipated the building would be 50% occupied at the end of 2011. It is currently at 86% and there are no signs of it slowing down.
I'm assuming you meant something other than "50%"?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 11:56 PM

or do you mean that's what they projected it to be way back when they started?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 11:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxDowntowner View Post
or do you mean that's what they projected it to be way back when they started?
My english comprehension skills enabled me to read they anticipated being half full at this point in time, but have surpassed that goal by quite a large percentage.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 3:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
It's incredible how fast 44 Monroe is filling up in this economy considering how expensive it is.
Since you were there the other day, What's the current price range for rent?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
$1500-$2990. Last I heard, there were only 20 units left. Only two one bedroom units currently available. I also have a few friends interested in moving downtown and they inquired about the rents and floor plans...

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
A 1 bedroom 1.5 Bath is between $1665-$1690. I was there searching for an apartment last Saturday. Don't know the others.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 4:50 AM

Prices and availability are available online:

http://www.44monroe.com/floorplans

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest